Thread: Haven't played in 6 months...clean up step

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Haven't played in 6 months...clean up step

This guy on cockatrice i was playing

he hit EOT with Standstill on his turn. He has 7 cards. I play BS. he draws 7.

He said i don't have to discard because EOT is after cleanup.

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Re: Haven't played in 6 months...clean up step

I'm guessing he's wrong. The cleanup step is the second and final step of the ending phase

Clean-up happens after end-step but check out the last sentence...

14. Cleanup Step
    514.1. First, if the active player’s hand contains more cards than their maximum hand size (normally seven), they discard enough cards to reduce their hand size to that number. This turn-based action doesn’t use the stack.
    514.2. Second, the following actions happen simultaneously: all damage marked on permanents (including phased-out permanents) is removed and all “until end of turn” and “this turn” effects end. This turn-based action doesn’t use the stack.
    514.3. Normally, no player receives priority during the cleanup step, so no spells can be cast and no abilities can be activated. However, this rule is subject to the following exception:
    514.3a At this point, the game checks to see if any state-based actions would be performed and/or any triggered abilities are waiting to be put onto the stack (including those that trigger “at the beginning of the next cleanup step”). If so, those state-based actions are performed, then those triggered abilities are put on the stack, then the active player gets priority.
    Players may cast spells and activate abilities. Once the stack is empty and all players pass in succession, another cleanup step begins.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Re: Haven't played in 6 months...clean up step

Quote Originally Posted by non-inflammable View Post
    I'm guessing he's wrong. The cleanup step is the second and final step of the ending phase

Clean-up happens after end-step but check out the last sentence...

14. Cleanup Step
    514.1. First, if the active player’s hand contains more cards than their maximum hand size (normally seven), they discard enough cards to reduce their hand size to that number. This turn-based action doesn’t use the stack.
    514.2. Second, the following actions happen simultaneously: all damage marked on permanents (including phased-out permanents) is removed and all “until end of turn” and “this turn” effects end. This turn-based action doesn’t use the stack.
    514.3. Normally, no player receives priority during the cleanup step, so no spells can be cast and no abilities can be activated. However, this rule is subject to the following exception:
    514.3a At this point, the game checks to see if any state-based actions would be performed and/or any triggered abilities are waiting to be put onto the stack (including those that trigger “at the beginning of the next cleanup step”). If so, those state-based actions are performed, then those triggered abilities are put on the stack, then the active player gets priority.
    Players may cast spells and activate abilities. Once the stack is empty and all players pass in succession, another cleanup step begins.
    I thought so...that fuck wouldnt discard

Thread Information