Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica & [RNA] Ravnica Allegiance

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica & [RNA] Ravnica Allegiance

I would argue that it would likely be good, but not too good, at least by legacy standards. Giving Modern another way to enable a t1 Chalice alongside Simian Spirit Guide would make that strategy become much more prominent. Given the efficiency of that format due to a lack of Force of Will, Daze, Wasteland, and Chalice (as a widespread strategy) it would make the format ripe for the picking.

Red I think will be something like a Shock (edit: only to players) effect. Two damage for free is good, but on a 4 mana creature that wouldn't really enable burn a whole lot more than a late game beater I think it would be fine. I don't think it would hit creatures either. Free mana is likely too good for modern, not good enough for standard, possibly good enough for Legacy. I think the activated ability will be R, tap: deal 2 damage to target creature or player. Will have haste.

White I think will be a soldier token and an activated ability to add tokens for like 2 mana. 1W: make a soldier token, essentially Mobilization on a creature. Will have vigilance

Black I think will be a Raven's Crime, which would be very cool. Activated ability would be B, discard a card: opponent discards a card. Will have menace.

Green will be a land ability I think, like put a basic land from your hand into play tapped. Activated ability will be Tap: put a land into play tapped. Other green abilities seem super weak as a t1 freebie, like granting trample. Will have trample.

Those are my initial ideas for what they could be. I don't think any of them will be anywhere near as good, but the blue one surprised me by how good it is. Maybe the others won't be a disappointing lot.
    Last edited by Mr. Safety; 01-07-2019 at 03:46 PM.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Let's play made up card discussion. Let's say they're all 4 Mana dudes. Any thoughts of what the other colors could possibly be? If the red one creates a red Mana like the old green chancellor would that be too good for Red Stompy?
    Red is strong enough as is to get more mana acceleration, maybe it should ping for 1 damage to any target when you reveal it. Red already has a modern legal Spirit Guide, green doesn’t.

The green one should be 3G 4/4 Beast that makes a G when you reveal it in your opening hand. Enables Goreclaw Stompy, Food Chain, Mono Green Devotion, Mono Green Ramp, Turbo Eldrazi, Enchantress and Nic Fit without overpowering Elves. Same reason I want a Green Blood Moon.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    Red is strong enough as is to get more mana acceleration, maybe it should ping for 1 damage to any target when you reveal it. Red already has a modern legal Spirit Guide, green doesn’t.

The green one should be 3G 4/4 Beast that makes a G when you reveal it in your opening hand. Enables Goreclaw Stompy, Food Chain, Mono Green Devotion, Mono Green Ramp, Turbo Eldrazi, Enchantress and Nic Fit without overpowering Elves. Same reason I want a Green Blood Moon.
    That ping will be to the player 100% of the time out of the opening hand. If you're on the play your opponent won't have had a chance to play a creature, if you're on the draw they won't play a Birds because you reveal it before the game starts. Getting only 1 damage to a player is underpowered, even by current card design trends. I also think that it won't hit creatures; one way they have trended is to make damage only hit players as a way to 'appropriately' apply the right power level. Look at Fanatic of Mogis compared to Flametongue Kavu.

Can we talk about Drill Bit? I love the flavor, death metal gore at it's best (Brain Drill anyone?) and it's a conditional Thoughtseize that only needs opponents to fetch, get burnt, or get combat damage. Nerd-meter: pair this with Honden of Infinite Rage, Blightning, Waste Not.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    How high is the probability that these Scrys leave you without Brainstorm or FoW to shuffle/pitch these Air Elementals?

As i see it, these cards trade a virtual handcard for a T0 Scry 3 while also acting as pitch and lategame beater. If you ever found yourself mulling for FoWs or SB cards in postboard games, this card is a very legit way of increasing your odds to start a game with these outs.
    You still never want more than 1 in your opening hand. The scry gets worse AND its a dead card if your not playing some aggro. Not really convinced to play it in combo just as FoW fodder and "sligthly increase your odds" especially as a 4 off.
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post
    You still never want more than 1 in your opening hand. The scry gets worse AND its a dead card if your not playing some aggro. Not really convinced to play it in combo just as FoW fodder and "sligthly increase your odds" especially as a 4 off.
    My double-Force winning hands with All Spells beg to differ, though I see your point in a more general context.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

So generic it actuall hurts to see :(

I mean its worse than arena but i kinda like it.

Domri is actually pretty good for decks that don't run blue.

Its a (small) step toward a decent midrange non blue deck, which is good.

Punishing maverik could make use of him, haste on kotr and stoneforge is quite good, against control decks it makes every creature a decent threat while gaining loyalty, and if you can reliably get the two pieces with the minus you get instant value from casting it
    "You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Winged salamander

U

Creature - salamander drake
    Flying

7U: adapt 4. this ability costs one less for each instant and sorcery card in your graveyard.

1/1

So this is a 5/5 for U and 7 - (numbers of instant and sorceries in your graveyard).
    It looks like a very strong card to go along delver... and fueled by the blue shell...

Do we have to fear a blue tempo winter in legacy?
    Last edited by Tylert; 01-08-2019 at 07:34 AM.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Do we have to fear a blue tempo winter in legacy?
    It's been winter for oh, 'bout as long as I can remember....
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Since it also costs 8 mana and has the same cost reduction mechanic, it should be about as easy (or a bit easier) than Bedlam Reveler to activate. Should definitely be playable, considering it's a Flying Men at worst. And a 5/5 absolutely dominates the air including angels, considering nobody plays Tombstalker anymore and only Griselbrand/Emrakul are the other flyers that see widespread play which can beat it. Activating it in multiples is also going to be very ugly.

Dies to push, decay, reb, bolt on activation, so it should be weaker than angler.

Still a pretty legit card
    "You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Since it also costs 8 mana and has the same cost reduction mechanic, it should be about as easy (or a bit easier) than Bedlam Reveler to activate. Should definitely be playable, considering it's a Flying Men at worst. And a 5/5 absolutely dominates the air including angels, considering nobody plays Tombstalker anymore and only Griselbrand/Emrakul are the other flyers that see widespread play which can beat it. Activating it in multiples is also going to be very ugly.
    The reveler comparison is an interesting way of evaluating the card that I hadn't considered, I don't know if that's entirely appropriate though because reveler is much more of a midrange/grindy creature rather than a tempo one. In a Reveler deck playing out your 3rd, 4th, 5th land to help with the expensive manacost is going to be far more tolerable than doing the same thing in a Delver strategy, and in a midrange deck you're more willing to have a card-advantage payoff come online later rather than in a tempo deck where you want aggressive creatures to come online quickly. (Because the Salamander is certainly slower to be a 5/5 attacker than Angler)

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Noctalor View Post
    Dies to push, decay, reb, bolt on activation, so it should be weaker than angler.

It's a ton better than delver in the later stages of the game. Getting a 5/5 flyer for UU is pretty good. Once 'threshold' is achieved to activate this an extra U plays around Bolts and KCommand. I mean, it's also blue, so it shouldn't be hard to, I don't know, counter the occasional removal spell? Decay is still an issue, but having Delvers 5+ is still going to be strong.

Imagine this card with Probe in the formats; I think it would push blue tempo to absurd levels. I can easily seeing an uptick in Thought Scour use alongside this card, at least in modern. We're basically getting upgraded threshold threats, which is not necessarily a bad thing but definitely pushing the envelope for that strategy.

I want to do this with mono-blue tempo, I think there are enough legitimate threats to make it work now.

4x Delver of Secrets
    4x Winged Salamander
    4x Cryptic Serpent
    2x Snapcaster Mage

4x Brainstorm
    4x Thought Scour
    2x Ponder
    4x Daze
    4x Force of Will
    4x Stifle
    2x Spell Pierce
    4x Vapor Snag

4x Wasteland
    4x Flooded Strand
    2x Polluted Delta
    2x Scalding Tarn
    6x Island

Cryptic Serpent is the Gurmag in blue, and I think legitimate with Thought Scour. Snapcaster with Thought Scour is alreayd a known quantity, something that is decent if a little big random. I know that this makes it somewhat weak to graveyard hate, especially Rest in Peace, but there doesn't seem to be much need for Gurmag or Fatal Push when you already have 5/5's and 6/5's for U or UU, tempo removal for U that also accelerates damage slightly, and tons of ways to refill the graveyard if other forms of hate occur like Tormod's Crypt or Relic of Progenitus. Sideboard has some decent options like Echoing Truth, Wipe Away, Ratchet Bomb, Dismember, Sower of Temptation, maybe 1-2 Jaces for grindier matchups.

I really think this might be what pushes mono-blue Delver into playable territory. I would love to throw down some Thought Scours at opponents after a mulligan, after the new sexy Sphinx is revealed, after brainstorming Terminus to the top...I genuinely think this will be good.
    Brainstorm Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    It's a ton better than delver in the later stages of the game. Getting a 5/5 flyer for UU is pretty good. Once 'threshold' is achieved to activate this an extra U plays around Bolts and KCommand. I mean, it's also blue, so it shouldn't be hard to, I don't know, counter the occasional removal spell? Decay is still an issue, but having Delvers 5+ is still going to be strong.

Imagine this card with Probe in the formats; I think it would push blue tempo to absurd levels. I can easily seeing an uptick in Thought Scour use alongside this card, at least in modern. We're basically getting upgraded threshold threats, which is not necessarily a bad thing but definitely pushing the envelope for that strategy.
    I really think this might be what pushes mono-blue Delver into playable territory. I would love to throw down some Thought Scours at opponents after a mulligan, after the new sexy Sphinx is revealed, after brainstorming Terminus to the top...I genuinely think this will be good.
    In a deck of that kind i think it's not too absurd to go full ham and run Mental Note alongside scour

Mar 2007

In a deck of that kind i think it's not too absurd to go full ham and run Mental Note alongside scour
    Snapcaster and Unearth/Reanimate should go very well with Scour/Note strategy, too. Although too much GY reliance makes the potential deck weak to GY hate.

Fun fact: You can Adapt again in response to the bolt that was in response to the Original Adapt

Domri is actually pretty good for decks that don't run blue. ...
    Do you play him before Xenagos, The Reveler in that kind of deck?

Mar 2007

Makes you wonder how good Quiet Speculation becomes with this. T3 Quiet Speculation into tripple Therapy with a T2 Pyromancer sounds like fun. Or Speculation for Faithless Lootings to get your discard engine going to power out Bedlam Revelers. Maybe even Phoenix could fit such a deck, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Deck
    Hmm aside from FoW and snapcaster this deck seems very cheap. If you cut some stifles and play just basic you could make THE budget deck!

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Maybe. I'll try the full set of Thought Scour first and see where it takes me. I wonder if I would be milling too many cards I actually want to draw. I know Scour super-powers Ponder and Brainstorm, making them work even better.

I also agree with Barook, where too many graveyard synergies makes it soft to hate.
    Brainstorm Realist

Thread Information