Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica & [RNA] Ravnica Allegiance

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Re: [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica & [RNA] Ravnica Allegiance

Playing it in a black control deck with cards like street wraith could be okay. It could have some fun interaction with led, but it requires a lot of guys in hand to get any larger cc spells.
    -rob

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

It's the black only requirement that really hobbles it. Enough decks could meet the requirements well enough to make use of it, but then what do you get?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Rain of Notions is interesting for Standard/Modern

1UB
    Sorcery
    Surveil 2, draw 2, take 2 damage
    Common

It's effect is basically a better Glimmer of Genius for 1 less mana. Harder to cast and a Sorcery tho, so, who knows. Seems like it'll be a player in Std at least, could see fringe play in Modern.
    There are 2 pauper decks that I think will try this, I think it will see fringe play there.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Rain of Notions is interesting for Standard/Modern

1UB
    Sorcery
    Surveil 2, draw 2, take 2 damage
    Common

It's effect is basically a better Glimmer of Genius for 1 less mana. Harder to cast and a Sorcery tho, so, who knows. Seems like it'll be a player in Std at least, could see fringe play in Modern.
    It's probably going to be pretty good in standard
    Modern already has Read the Bones and I don't think the current crop of graveyard decks suit a 3 mana sorcery
    Maybe in the Ghost Council / Goryo's deck but that's a bit of a stretch

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

*include "goes into Nic Fit!" comment here"

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

I am not great at Standard Walkers, working out what is what, but that looks shit.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I am not great at Standard Walkers, working out what is what, but that looks shit.
    I don't think it's that bad. However, it certainly isn't Legacy-level good.

The plus is bad. The minus is reasonable. The ultimate is at least actually reasonably game winning.

The CMC is reasonable. The starting loyalty is reasonable.

So, this is a reasonable card, if you can generate value off the plus and have a need for the minus. Probably Standard playable. Maybe Modern if you have a way to fulfill the aforementioned criteria.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by adrieng View Post
    it could see play in death's shadow maybe you have street wraith 2cc tutor shadow or a removal/fatal push/seize might not be so bad
    Street Wraith is the only real enabler for it, beyond that the only shell that could make sense is something like Zombardment and even then it seems weak.

A better parallel for this card is Traverse the Ulvenwald given that’s a tutor with conditional requirements, and even that sees little-to-no play (though I’ve certainly tried to jam it in Turbo Depths to no avail).

Arclight Phoenix (?) - 3R

Creature - Phoenix (M)

Flying, Haste

At the beginning of combat on your turn, if you cast 3 or more instants and/or sorceries this turn, you may return ~ to the battlefield.

3/2

Probably not good enough for Legacy, but only because Hollow One.dec isn't really viable - but worth posting because free-to-play creature is free-to-play.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Barook is correct about nicfit obviously great in a rector build.

Wonder what else could help for goes to graveyard effects.

Abrupt decay is totally fine too.
    -rob

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    Barook is correct about nicfit obviously great in a rector build.
    That was actually a joke about terrible cards and the following comments how they fix into Staxx (or Nic Fit).

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

*include "goes into Nic Fit!" comment here"
    It has Dr. Obvious synergy with Explorer, but I don't think it can make good use of a 4 mana enabler. Therapy and Tower are ideal, Diabolic Intent is rarely used anymore, and you can do fringe things like Liliana, the Last Hope and sac your Explorer that have significant impacts on the metagame. Playing it with Life from the Loam seems better, and I'm not sure that's good enough for even Bg pox. Maybe, I guess. In a straight Golgari shell of Nic Fit it might find a role, especially with Swagtusk. Seems like Nissa, Vital Force is still quite a bit stronger.

For modern I could see it in something grindy like Death Cloud. Kitchen Finks and Thragtusk are both pretty decent ways to create value with the first ability. The second ability is relevant, and the third seems pretty good in something with a lot of removal (like Death Cloud.) I could see Lilianas, Garruk Wildspeaker, new Vraska in a PW-heavy build of Death Cloud. Swamp Sakura-Tribe Elder for Viridian Emissary so the dies-and-gets-a-land clause works in your favor with the pw's.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Vraska could be good in some kind of BUG Hatching Plans-style deck that actively wants to sacrifice its own permanents, but even with her present as an upgrade, I don't know that it's a very good card.

The black tutor would fit pretty well into a cycling deck as far as enabling it goes. Archfiend of Ifnir, Street Wraith, and Vile Infestation are all actually Legacy level playable in a cycling deck, but what black cards do you want to tutor? All the good cycling tutor targets are red, white, colorless, or green.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Vraska could be good in some kind of BUG Hatching Plans-style deck that actively wants to sacrifice its own permanents, but even with her present as an upgrade, I don't know that it's a very good card.
    Strangleroot Geist and Geralf's Messenger!!! BaROOOOOOOken.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    One of the guys in our playgroup literally only ever plays home brews, regardless of format. Most are bad, but some are sometimes surprisingly resilient. While we don't play Modern often at all, he came up with a mono-Black Zombies deck that he brought to Regionals a couple years ago. He was X-1 and in top 8 contention until taking the loss in the last round of swiss and missing on breakers (his first loss was round 1).

It used Geralf's Messenger to great effect and was wrecking people all day. It wouldn't surprise me if your idea wasn't terrible in Modern, honestly. Decidedly tier two, but having more legs than I think almost anyone would give it credit for.

Mar 2007

I wonder what pushes WotC to do those terrible mana requirements. It's an Elf, so Symbiote shenanigans would be great, but that mana requirements are terrible, especially with DRS gone.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I wonder what pushes WotC to do those terrible mana requirements.
    I think it's the simplest way to print obviously good effects while ensuring the card isn't overly playable. In other words, its the lazy way to make playable cards...

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I think it's the simplest way to print obviously good effects while ensuring the card isn't overly playable. In other words, its the lazy way to make playable cards...
    Or Return to Theros 'devotion matters' plants. Or both... Probably both

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Or Return to Theros 'devotion matters' plants. Or both... Probably both
    But with three RtRtR sets in a row, how long would a Return to Theros even be Standard legal? I seriously don't even know and I can't really be bothered to calculate it. Feels like it would need at least an integral and maybe several remainders to figure out...

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    One of the guys in our playgroup literally only ever plays home brews, regardless of format. Most are bad, but some are sometimes surprisingly resilient. While we don't play Modern often at all, he came up with a mono-Black Zombies deck that he brought to Regionals a couple years ago. He was X-1 and in top 8 contention until taking the loss in the last round of swiss and missing on breakers (his first loss was round 1).

It used Geralf's Messenger to great effect and was wrecking people all day. It wouldn't surprise me if your idea wasn't terrible in Modern, honestly. Decidedly tier two, but having more legs than I think almost anyone would give it credit for.
    At my LGS, I am that guy. I'm not typically super fringe, but it's never run-of-the-mill. I don't hesitate to use obscure cards to gain an edge, at least in information.
    Brainstorm Realist

Thread Information