Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica & [RNA] Ravnica Allegiance

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Re: [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica & [RNA] Ravnica Allegiance

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    Angler, Jace, Chandra, any possible Eldrazi (but Emrakul) Griselbrand and any other Reanimator creature, Thran Dynamo, Ugin, Karn the only Tropical Island around against Sultai to cut him out of Green.. Karakas against Gaddock Teeg or Thalia, Cavern of Souls against Goblin or Merfolk

Always consider that with Surgical Extraction you can leave him out of a certain land. Against current decks you can easily kill his mana with

4 Wasteland
    4 Stifle
    4 Surgical
    4 Assassin’s Trophy
    4 Ghost Quarter
    4 Crucible of Worlds
    That's a pretty interesting approach, lets say you add in the usual cantrip/fow suite and the usual 4 thoughtseize, add in Abrupt Decay as well. Then I guess given the amount of spells you end up with delver/snapcaster. You end up with some interesting list like:

4 Delver
    4 Snapcaster

4 Brainstorm

4 FOW
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Stifle
    4 Surgical
    4 Assassin’s Trophy
    2 Ponder
    2 Abrupt Decay

4 Crucible of Worlds

4 Ghost Quarter
    4 Wasteland
    12 Other Lands

Might be the wrong direction as you want some accel for Crucible (since you'll be saccing lands prior), so you'll probably end up taking out delver for some mana elf or rock, then you might play with the numbers and think about LFTL or something else cute like that? Stiffle also makes you want to try dreadnaught, but that seems like a trap.

Quote Originally Posted by Erdvermampfa View Post
    I don't like the continous presence of this SCG sales guy (BenBleiweiss) in this thread trying to stir up hype for weak cards...can the mods do something about that please?
    I don't like the self-important idiots in this thread that try to backdoor mod and tell other people they aren't welcome, when they clearly are.

I don't understand in what you live that Ass Trophy isn't an amazing card. It's a Path to Exile that for one additional mana hits every single kind of permanent, instead of just creatures. Amaze card is legit Amaze. Only question is if it is format defining, or just really good. (I lean towards really good)

So what do you guys think about AT in something like 2G?

Zenith, Mox, Chalice, accel lands, splash black for AT and ? Use Ranumap and the Exploration Dino to tie it all together via Zenith. Really wish the old Odyssey 1,T add XY mana was available in BG for something like this.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Jace, Batterskull, Leyline, Angler, Karakas, Port.

I don't man, every answer to Jace is open to counters as well. Dies to Removal: the Argument.

The range of targets is broad enough to consider it more on par with straight countermagic. Game 1 I don't know what you're playing, but I have a Force of Will for it. Instants, Sorceries, Creatures, don't care, bam; Answered.
    The moment, players reach 4-5 lands on the field to cast most of the bombs named, FoW is pretty much the only relevant counterspell left anyways.

If your opponent is able to drop a Jace on the empty field, it usually means they are ahead and if they use the "jacestorm" it underlines that position as it turns Jace into an immediate, card-neutral 4cc cantrip. I can't quite see how you can swing the pendulum, if you destroy said Jace with Trophy and give your (already ahead of you) opponent a Basic Land and a shuffle effect for free.

I don't question its utility, but as long as Wasteland is a common tool to handle lands, Decay being able to remove SFM & Batterskulls Germ token, creatures with Haste/Flash being established to combat planeswalkers and Trophy not providing the ability to swing around unfavorable positions, I can't see it getting the nod over the first 3 copies of Decay in peoples 75
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    So what do you guys think about AT in something like 2G?
    Beast Within is pretty close to that. You could argue basic land versus 7 turn clock, but same speed and cost as you suggest.

Really wish the old Odyssey 1,T add XY mana was available in BG for something like this.
    Consider Twilight Mire. One day it will come that color fixing is in such demand that the Shadowmoor/Eventide filter lands will be played.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

FUCK YES!
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post
    Hmmmmmm
    Ruby Storm might have a new toy. If you only play 3 spells, it nets you R. If you play 6 spells it nets you RRRR, if you play 9 spells it nets you RRRRRRR. Pretty easy for Ruby Storm to accomplish. Playing it for R lets it get out of control (a la Ruby Medallion.) This makes Bonus Round better, but as a creature-based permanent it seems slightly weak to removal in a deck that shouldn't care about removal.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

FUCK YES!
    So that hits Delver, Artifacts, like 90% of DnT, and Eldrazi (Karnwalkers too I guess). Anything important I'm missing here?

Mar 2013

So that hits Delver, Artifacts, like 90% of DnT, and Eldrazi (Karnwalkers too I guess). Anything important I'm missing here?
    No, thats about it. Its a 3 mana effect, but dam.
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Mini-Undermine, but interesting that hard counters do not need UU in their mana cost any more?

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Mini-Undermine, but interesting that hard counters do not need UU in their mana cost any more?
    Has that ever been a rule? e.g. Vex, Psychic Strike

Just a reminder that 'Eldrazi' also includes the 15 mana one
    Edit: doublepost whoops

Mar 2013

Its Countersquall at 3 mana and with the unconditional counter attachment. Nope.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    The moment, players reach 4-5 lands on the field to cast most of the bombs named, FoW is pretty much the only relevant counterspell left anyways.

If your opponent is able to drop a Jace on the empty field, it usually means they are ahead and if they use the "jacestorm" it underlines that position as it turns Jace into an immediate, card-neutral 4cc cantrip. I can't quite see how you can swing the pendulum, if you destroy said Jace with Trophy and give your (already ahead of you) opponent a Basic Land and a shuffle effect for free.

I don't question its utility, but as long as Wasteland is a common tool to handle lands, Decay being able to remove SFM & Batterskulls Germ token, creatures with Haste/Flash being established to combat planeswalkers and Trophy not providing the ability to swing around unfavorable positions, I can't see it getting the nod over the first 3 copies of Decay in peoples 75
    I disagree, it seems your scenario put casting Jace in the best of circumstances for them and the worst of circumstances for you. In which case sure it won't be a game turning play. But lots of times against an opponent grinding you out, Jace is the hellbent topdeck you windmill slam down and take the game away. Unless they counter it. Or, just as well, "in response to your jacestorm, tap 2 and kill it" also nixes the counterspell on top of your library from relevance. Find a land and brainstorm lock yourself, be my guest.
    There will be games where it doesn't do the thing and you lose anyway. But nothing else solves the problem without the same issues. Lighting Bolt can get countered. So can Snapcaster Mage and Vendilion Clique. Also you wouldn't be cutting SCM for Assassin's Trophy anyway, so why compare the two in utility? Play both.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Oct 2012
    Italy

I'm honestly extremely annoyed by assassin's trophy because i don't understand why they make good bicolor cards always in the same color pair. maelstrom pulse, deathrite, decay, now this. Why this card couldn't cost b/w? seems like golgari is the only guild they will ever print good cards for

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

White would have kept a theme like path to Exile. Too bad. Sometimes it's more about answers for standard. Would this have made a bigger difference for BW in standard or modern? I don't play standard or modern so I can't comment to that.
    -rob

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    Has that ever been a rule? e.g. Vex, Psychic Strike
    Honestly not sure, I've been playing at MTG creation forums for a while and the hard counter needs at least UU has sort of been gospel for a while. Vex and Strike were more exceptions for whatever reason. Not sure if it was actually a real design rule advanced of a sort of ad-hoc design rule among casual custom judges and that sort.

anyway:

Glimpse on an Elf? Too expensive for elves?

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post

By quickly running the numbers, I dont think the Creatures is worth it in Modern storm though.
    Not that I'm an expert, but it looks potentially strong to me: Most of the modern storm cards with colorless costs are red, it banks mana between turns, and a 4/4 is a reasonable backup clock.

Also in modern it might be a piece for some kind of 8-whack thing with Myr Superion.

I don't think it has that much potential in legacy considering that Quirion Dryad doesn't see play.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Ruby Storm might have a new toy. If you only play 3 spells, it nets you R. If you play 6 spells it nets you RRRR, if you play 9 spells it nets you RRRRRRR. Pretty easy for Ruby Storm to accomplish. Playing it for R lets it get out of control (a la Ruby Medallion.) This makes Bonus Round better, but as a creature-based permanent it seems slightly weak to removal in a deck that shouldn't care about removal.
    Yeah, but it "forces" your opponent to keep in removal post-board. Or consider keeping hands with removal that then might not be interactive.

I mean, it's a fringe deck, but this card doesn't seem terrible in it, most probably.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Probably not in Modern, where Glimpse is banned.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Don't think it is given how much of a manasink the Visionary combo already is.

However i am unsure to what extend the banning of DRS harmed Elves in general.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Thread Information