Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica & [RNA] Ravnica Allegiance

Hybrid View

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

[GRN] Guilds of Ravnica & [RNA] Ravnica Allegiance

https://youtu.be/j_qvw0JrswA

Guilds of Ravnica releases October 5, 2018, and will prominently feature the harmonious Selesnya (green-white), the militant Boros (red-white), the life-and-death-focused Golgari (black-green), the frazzled geniuses of the Izzet (blue-red), and the mystery of the Dimir (blue-black).

Ravnica Allegiance ratchets up the drama and releases January 2019, and will complete our travels through the guilds. Join the orderly Azorius (white-blue), the chaotic Rakdos (black-red), the wild Gruul (red-green), the experimental Simic (green-blue), and the devious Orzhov (white-black) as we reach the penultimate moment of the Gatewatch's story.
    Last edited by Lemnear; 05-19-2018 at 03:51 PM.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Re: [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica & [RNA] Ravnica Allegiance

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    https://youtu.be/j_qvw0JrswA

Guilds of Ravnica releases October 5, 2018, and will prominently feature the harmonious Selesnya (green-white), the militant Boros (red-white), the life-and-death-focused Golgari (black-green), the frazzled geniuses of the Izzet (blue-red), and the mystery of the Dimir (blue-black).

Ravnica Allegiance ratchets up the drama and releases January 2019, and will complete our travels through the guilds. Join the orderly Azorius (white-blue), the chaotic Rakdos (black-red), the wild Gruul (red-green), the experimental Simic (green-blue), and the devious Orzhov (white-black) as we reach the penultimate moment of the Gatewatch's story.
    Omg! Let’s go Maverick cards!
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Why. We've been to Ravnica too many times. I will be pleased only if the jacetice league goes there and they all die for good.

Then we can go back to Dominara again for a few blocks. That'd be fine.
    Cockatrice: Bosque

excited for yet another two jace planeswalkers

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    excited for yet another two jace planeswalkers
    Looks like this third visit to Ravnica will have three expansions, with only GRN and RNA announced for now. It's a 3 set block. Prolly means 3 Jaces xD
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

They are clearly running out of ideas. Mtg is on the decline.

Jun 2010
    Central NY

... as we reach the penultimate moment of the Gatewatch's story.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTnBVDKuNdI

Well INN/RTR was the height of MTG popularity in recent history. WOTC want to recapture that. This the exact type of move a marketing team with no idea how/what made those sets popular likes to pull.

When WotC started with revisiting planes, people were excited, but given how they turned the amazing Ravnica into a shitshow during the second run and made it all about Jace, Jace and Jace again while removing all elements which made the guilds and plane interresting, I doubt that this third installment is soooooo well received. I want to remind that the Zendikar rerun was also a total mess. They are out of ideas. Wouldn't be surprised at all, if this block is followed by another Mirrodin/Phyrexia spin
    I don't know what you're going on about "removing all elements which made the guilds and plane interesting", I thought they did a pretty good job of that. Return to Ravnica was a terrific set (Gatecrash and especially Dragon's Maze were a step down, admittedly), and Innistrad-RTR is considered one of the best Standards of all time. Unlike return to Zendikar, RTR was a smash success. It's the thing people point to when talking about how return blocks can work (well, that and Scars of Mirrodin).

As for making it all about Jace, that was pretty limited to the add-on novels. There was very little hint of that in the cards themselves.

as we reach the penultimate moment of the Gatewatch's story.
    This I am excited about, though I wonder if this game survives another 10 years, will people that played standard now look at the Jacetice league with the same reverence as the original Brothers War to Invasion block characters have from people who got into the game back then?

They are probably just going to make phyrexia the new big bad since that thread has been conveniently left open, hopefully whatever fills the role of antagonist isnt just a one dimensional villain like bolas has been.

Are the two chicks doing the interviewing in that clip streamers or mega-fans or something? Hasbro has to have someone semi-competent at marketing who's actually been on film or conducted an interview before they could have used instead.
    That was below junior college quality level. And not the junior college for smart kids either.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Are the two chicks doing the interviewing in that clip streamers or mega-fans or something? Hasbro has to have someone semi-competent at marketing who's actually been on film or conducted an interview before they could have used instead.
    That was below junior college quality level. And not the junior college for smart kids either.
    Dunno, mate. Didn't do any reseach, but "semi-competent" is more like a credo for the company anyways. Since 2006, I struggle to understand the hire criterias some of their employees had anyways.

Join us at Facebook!

Magic the Amateuring is a show on...Twitch, I think? So they're sort of streamers.

WotC has picked up Magic content producers to do things for them in the past - Numot and Gaby Spartz have done coverage, I think, and I want to say they've had The Professor from TCC do something too. It makes way more sense to hire fans to do stuff than to hire professionals or use in-house assets because fans are an inexhaustible resource, can be hired and fired at will, and will be enthusiastic about your product without needing to act.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    Magic the Amateuring is a show on...Twitch, I think? So they're sort of streamers.

WotC has picked up Magic content producers to do things for them in the past - Numot and Gaby Spartz have done coverage, I think, and I want to say they've had The Professor from TCC do something too. It makes way more sense to hire fans to do stuff than to hire professionals or use in-house assets because fans are an inexhaustible resource, can be hired and fired at will, and will be enthusiastic about your product without needing to act.
    Yet they are unprofessional. It's not that being a NE Patriots fan qualifies fans to Interview players for a news station or such either.

If WotC opts to make MTG an eSports brand, you can't let amateurs do your quintessential PR tasks but hire professional commentators and interviewers.

Join us at Facebook!

Jul 2013
    Texas

Yet they are unprofessional. It's not that being a NE Patriots fan qualifies fans to Interview players for a news station or such either.

If WotC opts to make MTG an eSports brand, you can't let amateurs do your quintessential PR tasks but hire professional commentators and interviewers.
    Maria Bartholdi is a professional TV producer. I suspect she was just playing along with Meghan, who just sounds like Maro to me in her mannerisms so who cares.

I also would assume the directive was to be kitschy, based on Wizards' past dalliances like Walking the Planes. They seem to want to appear as though they are not taking themselves too seriously.

Jul 2018
    Midwest

They seem to want to appear as though they are not taking themselves too seriously.
    In my humble opinion, I think that is a big part of the problem at WotC. It should be natural, not forced and scripted. We will say I'm not a fan. Just my 2 cents.
    Playing since 1994

Format of play: Modern & Pauper

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    They seem to want to appear as though they are not taking themselves too seriously.
    To be taken seriously, you need to have a certain level of professionality. Since WotC doesn't have that, they go for the wacky approach instead. E.g. when they did the Dominaria history review during one of the PT/GP (?) streams, all inconsistencies could be brushed off as "we're just joking". I'm pretty sure they don't even know their own lore anymore expect for rough details.

And nobody who cares about the image of the company on a professional level would allow Maro's cringe-worthy, hyperactive rampages about new sets to air.

I’m gonna try growth spiral out in solidarity. Being forced to go off on 3 lands is tough, and being able to ‘ramp’ in the opponents turn, or even mid-combo is huge.
    We’ll see if springtide and solidarity is gonna make a comeback. The last couple of sets have really put some interesting toys into their repertoire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Legacy decks: mono U painter, strawberry shortcake, imperial painter, solidarity, burn
    EDH decks: zedruu voltron, rakdos the defiler, persistent petitioners, blind seer

Ok, the second ability is pretty nuts!

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post
    Lavinia, Azorius Renegade
    That first ability is a pretty big middle finger to the whole Miracle mechanic though isn't it?
    And the card on a whole hates Storm pretty hard.

Also I'm not up to speed, what are these alternate art cards? FNM promos? Or is this what cards are now.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Thread Information