Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica & [RNA] Ravnica Allegiance

Re: [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica & [RNA] Ravnica Allegiance

Don't think it's good enough for Legacy, but never going to hesitate to put up a 3-mana walker.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    How about with Food Chain?
    What am I missing? Other than the scry factor of the Sphinx, aren't both of those creatures vanilla? Are you just saying this gives Food Chain, as a deck, a way to filter while not wasting card slots on non-creatures?

Also, nerd-meters are only good for putting new cards with janky cards. Known combos? Pssh, nerd-meter's don't work on that level. It has to be fun and underpowered my friend, otherwise you're spikin'.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post

Don't think it's good enough for Legacy, but never going to hesitate to put up a 3-mana walker.
    It's close though. The 2nd and 3rd abilities are very good for a 3-mana planeswalker. The first is unfortunately going to be a 'do nothing' in Legacy because the UW decks don't care too much about attacking with creatures (and when they do the game is usually over, like with Mentor or Entreat tokens.)

I think this is a great PW for something like Polymorph in modern. It provides a token, digs really deep once the ultimate is active, and is in good colors for tokens and control to get to a combo win.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

3 mana is a good number. i think the -1 is actually pretty good here as the gain 1 life could be useful. a 3 mana token making planeswalker in colors where FoW can protect it isn't so bad. bit awkward with how the first ability might play out, but you can get multiple triggers off of the 1st ability.

wouldn't mind trying out as a 1 of in some decks to see how it plays out.

also:

Cire
    "Biomancer's Pet" GU
    Creature - Mutant
    Activated abilities of creatures you control cost up to 2 less to activate. This effect can't reduce the amount of mana ability costs to activate to less than one mana.
    T: The next time a creature you control activates Adapt this turn, it uses Adapt as if it has no +1/+1 counters.
    2/2

would it be that much to make this a changeling. rebels would have really liked this!
    -rob

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Dare I say we have a 4-mana non-Jace legacy playable card in blue?
    Imho it has a good chance to be Legacy-playable. It dodges AD, Bolt, and has air superiority against Delver, Flickerwisp, Clique, etc., all while sitting on its ass generating card quality for no further mana investment.

First ability is meh, #2 is alright, #3 is good, although not game-winning. Is there a way to take advantage of artifact token generation?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Dovin is interesting because under no pressure, his -1 can still act as a +1... Hear me out:

Cast, minus 1, get a Thopter, loyalty goes from 3 to 2.
    Next turn, plus 1 Dovin back to 3, then attack and he goes to 4 if you connect.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    It's close though. The 2nd and 3rd abilities are very good for a 3-mana planeswalker. The first is unfortunately going to be a 'do nothing' in Legacy because the UW decks don't care too much about attacking with creatures (and when they do the game is usually over, like with Mentor or Entreat tokens.)

I think this is a great PW for something like Polymorph in modern. It provides a token, digs really deep once the ultimate is active, and is in good colors for tokens and control to get to a combo win.
    I was going to get excited about some WU Sky Hussar deck, but this think makes a colorless flyer :(

Nothing to see here, please move along to Vintage.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Imho it has a good chance to be Legacy-playable. It dodges AD, Bolt, and has air superiority against Delver, Flickerwisp, Clique, etc., all while sitting on its ass generating card quality for no further mana investment.
    Good points. I like it enough to even test it in UW Landstill, honestly. I have some flexible slots in my list because I have an ETutor package maindeck (6 slots.) I could easily put that to the side and maindeck this guy. Curving out is so important with that deck. Even being on the draw it's a very good effect.

First ability is meh, #2 is alright, #3 is good, although not game-winning. Is there a way to take advantage of artifact token generation?
    The ultimate is basically a better Dig Through Time at sorcery speed. Three cards instead of 2, digging 10 deep instead of 7. You can't get it instant for cheap, but I imagine it would happen at around the same time in the game in a fair deck. I could see this being ok in Esper Stoneblade because of Lingering Souls making it easier to protect. You can boost the loyalty to 5 on the turn 4, 7 turn 5, ultimate turn 6. The issue is that it fights for space with Liliana, TNN, Vindicate, Snap + 1mana spell.

As far as artifact token generation, Whir of Invention, Polymorph. EDIT: Synergies with new Karn, definitely something cool to do in standard.

Nerd-meter evaluation: pair Dovin with Hidden Stockpile, Thopter Foundry, and Sword of the Meek.
    Brainstorm Realist

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Dovin is interesting because under no pressure, his -1 can still act as a +1... Hear me out:

Cast, minus 1, get a Thopter, loyalty goes from 3 to 2.
    Next turn, plus 1 Dovin back to 3, then attack and he goes to 4 if you connect.
    good point, didn't realize it was actually +1 without any connecting creatures. i think this PW could be alright. it's not good against most of the field but could be pretty strong vs the control decks as a sb card.
    -rob

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    good point, didn't realize it was actually +1 without any connecting creatures. i think this PW could be alright. it's not good against most of the field but could be pretty strong vs the control decks as a sb card.
    Good point. Decks that don't pressure you too much will let this guy ultimate pretty fast.
    Brainstorm Realist

Nothing to see here, please move along to Vintage.
    What a waste of amazing art and name.

EDIT: I'm really digging the Captain Marvel hair too.
    #Rambeau>Danvers

If Jace Cunning Castaway didn’t see play, neither will this. Except maybe in a modern polymorph proteus staff deck paired with other token makers.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    If Jace Cunning Castaway didn’t see play, neither will this. Except maybe in a modern polymorph proteus staff deck paired with other token makers.
    Maybe, but this is significantly better than Jace.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Zombardment? Either way, doesn't seem too hot in Legacy terms.

Lookit that type line "Human Shaman". It'll see play in Modern, it's another Lord for Humans there with anti-wrath protection, and the "any target" bit means it can kill 'walkers or other critters in response, not just burn face. Also makes suiciding attackers and blockers into removal spells. Strong card.

This card is very good and will see play. Modern humans, or legacy humans. Don't matter which.

Folk Punk Pirate
    Oct 2007
    Mannheim, Germany

And which card in that deck would this double off-color card replace?
    Not every human automatically fits...
    Sneaky Pirates of Doom - Not really a Legacy Team anymore.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Shaman tribal. I wish there were a 1 drop black shaman.
    -rob

I don’t wanna stir too much, but Judith? Like for serious? Everyone else’s names in Ravnica has some fantasy element to them... then we get hit by a Judith.

The names great in real life though don’t get me wrong - just seems out of place in a fantasy setting. Good card though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Legacy decks: mono U painter, strawberry shortcake, imperial painter, solidarity, burn
    EDH decks: zedruu voltron, rakdos the defiler, persistent petitioners, blind seer

Thread Information