Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica & [RNA] Ravnica Allegiance

Re: [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica & [RNA] Ravnica Allegiance

Quote Originally Posted by spirit of the wretch View Post
    And which card in that deck would this double off-color card replace?
    Not every human automatically fits...
    The card provides reach and acts as a Lord. It's legendary so you don't run 4 and it splits with reflector mage, and mantis rider

Quote Originally Posted by schweinefettmann View Post
    I don’t wanna stir too much, but Judith? Like for serious? Everyone else’s names in Ravnica has some fantasy element to them... then we get hit by a Judith.
    Not the first time I've seen this complaint of Judith not sounding fantasy-like and thus being out of place, and it makes little sense to me. Never seen anyone complain about Liliana, Karlov, Edgar, Thalia or others. Why is Judith bothersome?

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

Zombardment? Either way, doesn't seem too hot in Legacy terms.
    Modern Aristocrats will really like this card, probably in Mardu colors. It gives you Falkenrath Aristocrat, Bloodghast, Return to the Ranks, Barrage of Expendables, Makeshift Munitions, etc. It's an older deck, but this might give it the gas it needs.

Judith doesn't bother me...but calling it a 'Diva'? Seriously?
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

IIRC, the Scourge Diva shows up in various flavor texts from previous Ravnica blocks, but the name Judith comes from the novels. I could be wrong, though.

The name is a stark contrast for a fantasy setting, but WotC has done far, far worse in terms of flavor violations in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Glass House View Post
    Not the first time I've seen this complaint of Judith not sounding fantasy-like and thus being out of place, and it makes little sense to me. Never seen anyone complain about Liliana, Karlov, Edgar, Thalia or others. Why is Judith bothersome?
    Don't forget Jace and Teysa!

Eh, it's a little pedestrian, but I actually prefer a little grounding in the names and hate ones like Lavinia. Like was she born and destined to be a mid-level lawmage?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Modern Aristocrats will really like this card, probably in Mardu colors. It gives you Falkenrath Aristocrat, Bloodghast, Return to the Ranks, Barrage of Expendables, Makeshift Munitions, etc. It's an older deck, but this might give it the gas it needs.

They're a literal carnival. Of course they have divas. Primadonna's too, I'd bet.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...585799535.jpeg

Spawn of Mayhem is really, really pushed. A 4/4 Flying, Trample for 4 or a three mana 4/4 flying, trample for 4 all while dealing your opponent damage even under an Ensnaring Bridge.

Demon Stompy will want this. It’s just better than Archdemon of Paliano. And yeah, Demon Stompy is the fringiest of fringe, but this’ll see play just because someone is going to play it. Also, even though traditional aggro isn’t a thing in Legacy at the moment, this is a card that a future black aggro deck would likely want.

Apr 2014
    New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post

Newest member of the Chancellor cycle.
    So does this go in Belcher and co? Having something that reads "0: Scry 3. Cast this card only before your first turn. This card cannot be countered." might be okay if your gameplan hinges on drawing exactly the right cards before your opponent has a chance to interact.

EDIT: maybe Reanimator of all things. Being able to just play a 4/4 that makes your draws better could be a solid backup plan.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Teysa Karlov 2WB
    Legendary Creature - Human Advisor
    If a creature dying causes a triggered ability of a permanent you control to trigger, that ability triggers an additional time.
    Creature tokens you control have vigilance and lifelink.
    2/4

Any possible fun degenerate combos?

Edit:

Also

3 mana-ish 4/4 flying Trampler with continious ping? Any old school Metalhead BR deck for this?

Mar 2007

Goes into Nic Fit! /sarcasm

Are there any good die triggers this could abuse?

Rules question: If you sac an Arcbound Ravager with 5 counters and this is in play, can you distribute 1*5 or 2*5 counters?

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    3 mana-ish 4/4 flying Trampler with continious ping? Any old school Metalhead BR deck for this?
    Red Gate? I think a card like this that consistently triggers Spectacle makes the mechanic much better.

Nerd-meter: combine this with Sulfuric Vortex, Blightning and Bituminous Blast.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Mar 2007

Interesting spin on the Squadron Hawk mechanic, although probably too mana intenstive for Legacy. Being an Elf might be relevant.

Goes into Nic Fit! /sarcasm

The best triggers would be something like Blood Artist, or a Sticher's Supplier. This is definitely an EDH archtype in waiting, but I don't see it in legacy.
    Rules question: If you sac an Arcbound Ravager with 5 counters and this is in play, can you distribute 1*5 or 2*5 counters?
    2*5. The printed text on modular is misleading, but the comprehensive rules makes it clearer:
    702.42a Modular represents both a static ability and a triggered ability. “Modular N” means “This permanent enters the battlefield with N +1/+1 counters on it” and “When this permanent is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may put a +1/+1 counter on target artifact creature for each +1/+1 counter on this permanent.”
    It doesn't actually "move" the counters, it counts them and adds that many to the target, so multiple triggers will each add the same amount.

Death triggers tend to be unreliable.

Probably not worthwhile for Veteran Explorer.

I wonder: Does this double exploit? What about "leaves play" triggers like Wormfang Manta or Reveillark if the creature dies?

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Dies is just shorthand for leaves the field
    700.4. The term dies means “is put into a graveyard from the battlefield.”
    Pretty sure it's yes to both cases, but since the examples are creatures triggering off themselves dying, are they a 'permanent you control' when they trigger?

Oh also in hindsight both of yours would trigger themselves off an Unsummon, but wouldn't die. So it depends on where they went.
    Wrath of God : yes :: Ternimus : no
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Death triggers tend to be unreliable.

Probably not worthwhile for Veteran Explorer.

I wonder: Does this double exploit? What about "leaves play" triggers like Wormfang Manta or Reveillark if the creature dies?
    No, and then yes on exploit. Exploit is usually both an ETB trigger AND a "when dies" trigger.
    702.109a Exploit is a triggered ability. “Exploit” means “When this creature enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice a creature.”
    702.109b A creature with exploit “exploits a creature” when the controller of the exploit ability sacrifices a creature as that ability resolves.
    So you may only exploit one creature. BUT! You "exploited a creature" twice when you exploit one creature.
    For example: Minister of Pain exploits a creature, and then you give your opponents -2/-2
    For other "leaves play" cards, the answer is Yes, assuming that they left play by dying (IE: Going to the graveyard)
    700.4. The term dies means “is put into a graveyard from the battlefield.”
    So Swords to Plowshares would trigger Revelark once, and Terror would cause it to trigger twice.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    ...xploit is usually both an ETB trigger AND a "when dies" trigger. ...
    But that's not a "when dies" trigger if, for example Rest in Peace is in play, right?

I wonder death in an if clause - like Renegade Rallier too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Dovin is interesting because under no pressure, his -1 can still act as a +1... Hear me out:

Cast, minus 1, get a Thopter, loyalty goes from 3 to 2.
    Next turn, plus 1 Dovin back to 3, then attack and he goes to 4 if you connect.
    Not trying to be "that guy," but if your opponent is not applying any pressure, isn't literally any planeswalker fine?

I think this guy and Kaya are super cool, but I just don't think they really do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Glass House View Post
    Never seen anyone complain about Liliana, Karlov, Edgar, Thalia or others. Why is Judith bothersome?
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Don't forget Jace and Teysa!

Eh, it's a little pedestrian, but I actually prefer a little grounding in the names and hate ones like Lavinia. Like was she born and destined to be a mid-level lawmage?
    How many Lilianas, Karlovs, Edgars, Thalias, Jaces, and Teysas do you know? I know one Thalia and one Jace (and the Jace only indirectly through a friend). I actually don't mind any of them either way, and kinda find Judith funny in that respect, but those seem like strange names to pick for a comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    "Diva" is the best part of the name! She's like the crazy lovechild of The Joker and Lady Gaga.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    But that's not a "when dies" trigger if, for example Rest in Peace is in play, right?

I wonder death in an if clause - like Renegade Rallier too.
    You should probably read the rest of my post where I cover situations just like this!

Quote Originally Posted by taconaut View Post
    How many Lilianas, Karlovs, Edgars, Thalias, Jaces, and Teysas do you know?
    Liliana is a common name where I live, I personally know more than a dozen. The others are rare, but even then I know two Thalias and one Edgar.

Thread Information