Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica & [RNA] Ravnica Allegiance

Re: [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica & [RNA] Ravnica Allegiance

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Are the two chicks doing the interviewing in that clip streamers or mega-fans or something? Hasbro has to have someone semi-competent at marketing who's actually been on film or conducted an interview before they could have used instead.
    That was below junior college quality level. And not the junior college for smart kids either.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Are the two chicks doing the interviewing in that clip streamers or mega-fans or something? Hasbro has to have someone semi-competent at marketing who's actually been on film or conducted an interview before they could have used instead.
    That was below junior college quality level. And not the junior college for smart kids either.
    Dunno, mate. Didn't do any reseach, but "semi-competent" is more like a credo for the company anyways. Since 2006, I struggle to understand the hire criterias some of their employees had anyways.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Good post. If you were to summarize what makes an un/desirable standard environment, that would be a great way to talk about why it's failing now. I was playing Extended, Standard, and casual when Lorwyn was on the scene (EDH wasn't a thing yet in my area.) Extended fostered so many broken strategies at the time that Legacy was boring in comparison, at least how I remember it. Once extended become a smaller format, and eventually was replaced with Modern, it became easy to move over to Legacy (lol, it was easy then...duals were all at $100 or less, IIRC.)

Regardless, I think the plane was interesting and created a great environment. Tribal was obviously a thing, but there was also just Doran Rock, Boat Brew, Reveillark Blink, Seismic Swans. More than anything I think the format was accessible from a skill point of view (not necessarily a price point of view. Bitterblossom was an $80, Cryptics were $50.) Building tribal decks is kind of a rite of passage for beginning magic players, just because the learning curve is so easy and the strategy can be powerful. If I were to summarize why I want a return to Lorwyn, I would say it's based on my perception of how accessible standard was at the time.
    when lorwyn was standard legal:

bitterblossom was around 30 dollars roughly at its max. (unless if you were quoting 80/playset, then i apologize)

30 dollars was the price of a badlands, seas were about 60ish. (revised)

kithkin was a deck as well, B/G rock was also a great deck.
    -rob

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

I think the Lorwyn environment benefited massively from being at the intersection of many different things - Lorwyn/Shadowmoor had a high power level, the format itself was absurdly huge (~+30% extra card count), the design directions of Time Spiral and Lorwyn were very different - it was the border of old spells and new creatures without WotC having gotten into their heads that removal had to suck. Mana was good, but not too good, and there was good actual LD. Like, if you go through the CSnap-TS/PC/FS-Lor/Mor-Sha/Eve-10th card pool, it's absurd just how many things were good back then. Seriously, just name any one thing you want to do and go look through the card pool. It's nuts.
    Spot removal? Great.
    Sweepers? Yes.
    Aggro beaters? Yup.
    Raw draw? Hell yes.
    Grindy value? You haven't lived until you've cast a Blink that reads "kill your creature / dodge your removal spell, I get two flying bears and draw 4". Or you could just drown them in Bitterblossom/Sacred Mesa tokens.
    Countermagic? An embarassment of riches.
    Want to play combo? You actually have options. Plural.
    The format even had Trickbind for goodness' sake.
    Manlands? Can do.
    Utility lands in general? Mouth. Of. Ronom.
    Mana ramp? Yup, plus interesting things to do with it.
    Last edited by Zombie; 07-29-2018 at 05:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    when lorwyn was standard legal:

bitterblossom was around 30 dollars roughly at its max. (unless if you were quoting 80/playset, then i apologize)

30 dollars was the price of a badlands, seas were about 60ish. (revised)

kithkin was a deck as well, B/G rock was also a great deck.
    I meant for a set, sorry if I was unclear.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    I think the Lorwyn environment benefited massively from being at the intersection of many different things - Lorwyn/Shadowmoor had a high power level, the format itself was absurdly huge (~+30% extra card count), the design directions of Time Spiral and Lorwyn were very different - it was the border of old spells and new creatures without WotC having gotten into their heads that removal had to suck. Mana was good, but not too good, and there was good actual LD. Like, if you go through the CSnap-TS/PC/FS-Lor/Mor-Sha/Eve-10th card pool, it's absurd just how many things were good back then. Seriously, just name any one thing you want to do and go look through the card pool. It's nuts.
    Spot removal? Great.
    Sweepers? Yes.
    Aggro beaters? Yup.
    Raw draw? Hell yes.
    Grindy value? You haven't lived until you've cast a Blink that reads "kill your creature / dodge your removal spell, I get two flying bears and draw 4". Or you could just drown them in Bitterblossom/Sacred Mesa tokens.
    Want to play combo? You actually have options. Plural. The format even had Trickbind for goodness' sake.
    Manlands? Can do.
    Totally agree. Jesus, I still try to improve on mono-red elementals occasionally, just because I loved it so much! Not that I would play it competitively, but man, so much fun for me.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Spot removal? Great.
    Sweepers? Yes.
    Aggro beaters? Yup.
    Raw draw? Hell yes.
    Want to play combo? You actually have options. Plural.
    The format even had Trickbind for goodness' sake.
    Manlands? Can do.
    Totally correct. Now of course, only one thing can be good at a time, because fuck you, buy more packs to get the one good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Magic the Amateuring is a show on...Twitch, I think? So they're sort of streamers.

WotC has picked up Magic content producers to do things for them in the past - Numot and Gaby Spartz have done coverage, I think, and I want to say they've had The Professor from TCC do something too. It makes way more sense to hire fans to do stuff than to hire professionals or use in-house assets because fans are an inexhaustible resource, can be hired and fired at will, and will be enthusiastic about your product without needing to act.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    Magic the Amateuring is a show on...Twitch, I think? So they're sort of streamers.

WotC has picked up Magic content producers to do things for them in the past - Numot and Gaby Spartz have done coverage, I think, and I want to say they've had The Professor from TCC do something too. It makes way more sense to hire fans to do stuff than to hire professionals or use in-house assets because fans are an inexhaustible resource, can be hired and fired at will, and will be enthusiastic about your product without needing to act.
    Yet they are unprofessional. It's not that being a NE Patriots fan qualifies fans to Interview players for a news station or such either.

If WotC opts to make MTG an eSports brand, you can't let amateurs do your quintessential PR tasks but hire professional commentators and interviewers.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    They don't have any other real villains left after Bolas is beaten, so they have to settle with Phyrexians (not that I mind too much). Eldrazi are a lost cause after two of the eldritch abomination titans gots BBQ'ed by an asspull and Emrakul was locked away because marketing said so. They were too ill-received the second time around to bring them back anytime soon.

The real problem with the Neo-Phyrexians is how OP the glistening oil is, given how easy it is for it to corrupt entire planes and Karn spread it over dozens, if not hundreds of planes.
    Did I miss soemthing? When was Bolas beaten by the Gatewach?

Quote Originally Posted by MorphBerlin View Post
    He wasn't,I think Barook is just speculating as to what wotc will do when that does eventually happen

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by MorphBerlin View Post
    Considering the 3rd RtRtR expansion is considered the climax of the Bolas arc, what else are they going to do? They can't lose one of their most popular planes (in the same way they ruined Zendikar with the Eldrazi war), so the Gatewatch has to win. I expect Bolas to be beaten, with a potential chance to bring him back many years later. IIRC, only his body was destroyed by Umezawa back then, while Bolas spirit was still around before he was brought back via time rift shenanigans. And Ravnica has this weird ghost thing going for it.

Considering the 3rd RtRtR expansion is considered the climax of the Bolas arc, what else are they going to do? They can't lose one of their most popular planes (in the same way they ruined Zendikar with the Eldrazi war), so the Gatewatch has to win. I expect Bolas to be beaten, with a potential chance to bring him back many years later. IIRC, only his body was destroyed by Umezawa back then, while Bolas spirit was still around before he was brought back via time rift shenanigans. And Ravnica has this weird ghost thing going for it.
    Bolas wins, magic ends, and hasbro abolishes the reserved list. Then in a year we're playing Standard with Alpha2, 1002 Arabian Nights, and Antwoquities.

Well, Attempted Rationalism at least.
    May 2015
    King County

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Antwoquities.
    I'm very on board with having a set named Antwoquities.

Jul 2013
    Texas

Yet they are unprofessional. It's not that being a NE Patriots fan qualifies fans to Interview players for a news station or such either.

If WotC opts to make MTG an eSports brand, you can't let amateurs do your quintessential PR tasks but hire professional commentators and interviewers.
    Maria Bartholdi is a professional TV producer. I suspect she was just playing along with Meghan, who just sounds like Maro to me in her mannerisms so who cares.

I also would assume the directive was to be kitschy, based on Wizards' past dalliances like Walking the Planes. They seem to want to appear as though they are not taking themselves too seriously.

Jul 2018
    Midwest

They seem to want to appear as though they are not taking themselves too seriously.
    In my humble opinion, I think that is a big part of the problem at WotC. It should be natural, not forced and scripted. We will say I'm not a fan. Just my 2 cents.
    Playing since 1994

Format of play: Modern & Pauper

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    They seem to want to appear as though they are not taking themselves too seriously.
    To be taken seriously, you need to have a certain level of professionality. Since WotC doesn't have that, they go for the wacky approach instead. E.g. when they did the Dominaria history review during one of the PT/GP (?) streams, all inconsistencies could be brushed off as "we're just joking". I'm pretty sure they don't even know their own lore anymore expect for rough details.

And nobody who cares about the image of the company on a professional level would allow Maro's cringe-worthy, hyperactive rampages about new sets to air.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

To be taken seriously, you need to have a certain level of professionality. Since WotC doesn't have that, they go for the wacky approach instead. E.g. when they did the Dominaria history review during one of the PT/GP (?) streams, all inconsistencies could be brushed off as "we're just joking". I'm pretty sure they don't even know their own lore anymore expect for rough details.

And nobody who cares about the image of the company on a professional level would allow Maro's cringe-worthy, hyperactive rampages about new sets to air.
    I agree.

You can present a product in a lighthearted way without looking like a wierdo and somewhat like an idiot. The product has to be fun, not the people presenting it

Join us at Facebook!

Jul 2018
    Midwest

I agree.

You can present a product in a lighthearted way without looking like a wierdo and somewhat like an idiot. The product has to be fun, not the people presenting it
    Agreed to both of you.

There are some serious flaws in the management of WotC. For a game I truly love and have for nearly 25 years now its sad to see it abused and fouled in front of your eyes. I hope a change will come.
    Playing since 1994

Format of play: Modern & Pauper

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Convoke returns

16/16 Indestructible Wurm for

Pack art shows Ral Zarek

Thread Information