Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica & [RNA] Ravnica Allegiance

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Re: [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica & [RNA] Ravnica Allegiance

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Also MAYBE relevant, it can find Pacts without needing any dudes in the yard or even EE. UB Hive Mind it's your time
    Can only find Slaughter Pact

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Can only find Slaughter Pact
    Wow I need to RTFC. Black cards only. Alcohol is bad kids
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoCop 90 View Post
    I'm honestly extremely annoyed by assassin's trophy because i don't understand why they make good bicolor cards always in the same color pair. maelstrom pulse, deathrite, decay, now this. Why this card couldn't cost b/w? seems like golgari is the only guild they will ever print good cards for
    Vindicate and Anguished Unmaking exist. I'd say having your opponent fetch a land is much more "green" than "white". Golgari is The Rock, and The Rock gets good cards.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Alcohol is bad kids
    You take that back!
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You take that back!
    Don't believe anything I say, I'm drunk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

My god guys...

BR reanimator spending 2 mana to tutor a reanimation spell, instead of running more reanimation spells.
    Al the deck is about is to reanimate asap, and this card (at beast) requires 1 extra mana on turn 2 just to not actually skip turn 2, just to tutor reanimate (which is the best reanimation spell because it costs 1 mana, every other reanimation spell is superior if you can afford to spend more than 1, you could run up to 20 reanimation spells if you are willing to pay up to 3)
    "You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    The moment, players reach 4-5 lands on the field to cast most of the bombs named, FoW is pretty much the only relevant counterspell left anyways.

If your opponent is able to drop a Jace on the empty field, it usually means they are ahead and if they use the "jacestorm" it underlines that position as it turns Jace into an immediate, card-neutral 4cc cantrip. I can't quite see how you can swing the pendulum, if you destroy said Jace with Trophy and give your (already ahead of you) opponent a Basic Land and a shuffle effect for free.

I don't question its utility, but as long as Wasteland is a common tool to handle lands, Decay being able to remove SFM & Batterskulls Germ token, creatures with Haste/Flash being established to combat planeswalkers and Trophy not providing the ability to swing around unfavorable positions, I can't see it getting the nod over the first 3 copies of Decay in peoples 75
    Giving them a land as they resolve their Jace is a lot better option than holding abrupt decay and letting them Jace more each time and get further behind, this is a 2 mana instant speed answer to Jace while most other answers are 3 mana sorcery's. This hits bigger creatures too like Angler and against decks like Delver this can strip mine them as they don't play basics, is also fine against lands or Sneak and Show where Decay is just pretty meh to bad (kills Boseju too if you're BUG).

If you're on a combo deck like Reanimator or Turbo Depths then Decay misses Karakas/Leylines.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    If your opponent is able to drop a Jace on the empty field, it usually means they are ahead and if they use the "jacestorm" it underlines that position as it turns Jace into an immediate, card-neutral 4cc cantrip. I can't quite see how you can swing the pendulum, if you destroy said Jace with Trophy and give your (already ahead of you) opponent a Basic Land and a shuffle effect for free.
    This is untrue, is common to just slam jace against shardless while not being ahead, just even, and start getting value from there.
    With this card around you can't just play jace on an empty board and win from there, and that was one of the easiest ways to beat BUG in general.

It's also quite common to play jace in a board state in which is not easy to just remove it, shardless often does not have enough board to answer a jace + plowshares for example, and is likely (or was i guess) to lose if the opponent untaps with a jace on board
    "You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Quote Originally Posted by Noctalor View Post
    My god guys...

BR reanimator spending 2 mana to tutor a reanimation spell, instead of running more reanimation spells.
    Al the deck is about is to reanimate asap, and this card (at beast) requires 1 extra mana on turn 2 just to not actually skip turn 2, just to tutor reanimate (which is the best reanimation spell because it costs 1 mana, every other reanimation spell is superior if you can afford to spend more than 1, you could run up to 20 reanimation spells if you are willing to pay up to 3)
    You know what a deck that can t2 reanimate 80% of games needs? a 2 mana tutor that's also vulnerable to all the hate that already hurts the deck and doesn't do anything if you didn't start with entomb or looting.
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Noctalor View Post
    My god guys...

Funny story, it also tutors up Entomb. That's a spell that doesn't have 20 variants. If you're trying to be resilient, you can t1 Land + Petal/Mox > Looting > Ritual > Tutor for either Reanimate (if you don't have it) or Entomb so you can set up a 2nd combo if the first is dealt with by Surgical/etc. Or you get Duress/Thoughtseize to protect your t2 Reanimate. Or you grab Surgical Extraction on the play in the mirror or against Dredge. It provides lines of play that will be more complicated, but potentially better.

Maybe I was wrong, this isn't Demonic Tutor. It's closer to Burning Wish, where you either get your kill or you get protection/utility to work around hate.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by SpatulaOfTheAges View Post
    You know what a deck that can t2 reanimate 80% of games needs? a 2 mana tutor that's also vulnerable to all the hate that already hurts the deck and doesn't do anything if you didn't start with entomb or looting.
    If you don't have Entomb or Looting that's already a mulligan, right? So you can find Enbomb or Looting + mana source?
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Rain of Notions is interesting for Standard/Modern

1UB
    Sorcery
    Surveil 2, draw 2, take 2 damage
    Common

It's effect is basically a better Glimmer of Genius for 1 less mana. Harder to cast and a Sorcery tho, so, who knows. Seems like it'll be a player in Std at least, could see fringe play in Modern.

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    If you don't have Entomb or Looting that's already a mulligan, right? So you can find Enbomb or Looting + mana source?
    So you can use this to find Entomb (it can’t find Looting) to put something in the yard...which would mean a creature is already in the graveyard anyway to be reanimated, accomplishing pretty much nothing. And if you have the mana to cast this, why in the world would you want to tutor for Dark Ritual?

Card is straight garbage, moving on.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Di View Post
    So you can use this to find Entomb (it can’t find Looting) to put something in the yard...which would mean a creature is already in the graveyard anyway to be reanimated, accomplishing pretty much nothing. And if you have the mana to cast this, why in the world would you want to tutor for Dark Ritual?

I forgot about the black only requirement, sorry for that. RTFC right? I'm not sure it's straight garbage, but to each his own. I don't have a dog in this race, just placing bets.
    Brainstorm Realist

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

+1

edit: I'm not actually sure the card is terrible overall, but it makes no sense at all in Reanimator.
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Ugh - fair enough, you're right / why not just play a reanimation spell. I was apparently getting excited over nothing expect over how good reanimator decks in general look

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by SpatulaOfTheAges View Post
    +1

edit: I'm not actually sure the card is terrible overall, but it makes no sense at all in Reanimator.
    Fair statement. It was just the first deck to come to mind for me. Does it do something? Yes. Is it good enough to change the already established formula? No. One thing that I've noticed is that 2 mana tutors find a way to be useful in something, given enough time. Look at Sylvan Scrying, not a legacy card really until it became a niche tutor in Depths. It just needs the right enabler (good afternoon Infernal Tutor + Lion's Eye Diamond.)
    Brainstorm Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I forgot about the black only requirement, sorry for that. RTFC right? I'm not sure it's straight garbage, but to each his own. I don't have a dog in this race, just placing bets.
    I don't think this card will be playable until the black dryad arbor is printed. You really need 0-cost black spells for this to make sense in your deck and right now the only ones are living end which doesn't care about being in your hand and slaughter pact which isn't too playable.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    I don't think this card will be playable until the black dryad arbor is printed. You really need 0-cost black spells for this to make sense in your deck and right now the only ones are living end which doesn't care about being in your hand and slaughter pact which isn't too playable.
    I'm not sure about the zero requirement. It does scale up, ie Putrid Imp could enable bigger targets. I'm not sure what those targets would be, but it's a new interaction that has potential. We're used to legacy being broken with free/cheap things to do with our decks, but sometimes it doesn't add up.

This card is probably close to the power level of Shadow of the Grave. Niche, to be certain, and without a clear enabler to make a competitive deck. The eternal optimist in me wants to include: 'Yet'.
    Brainstorm Realist

it could see play in death's shadow maybe you have street wraith 2cc tutor shadow or a removal/fatal push/seize might not be so bad

Thread Information