Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica & [RNA] Ravnica Allegiance

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica & [RNA] Ravnica Allegiance

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post
    Hmm aside from FoW and snapcaster this deck seems very cheap. If you cut some stifles and play just basic you could make THE budget deck!
    I don't think it could compete without Forces, maybe cutting Snapcaster for True Name Nemesis is correct.

You do realize Stifle is like a $4 card right? I mean, Wasteland + Stifle is the real combo but Wasteland is only around $30 right now. By legacy standards the Waste/Stifle/Daze synergy is basically a budget package. I would hesitate to call it competitive outside of Force of Will, believe me, I've tried, it's a significant drop in power level. However it is playable at the local level. Start with some number of Counterspell, Spell Snare, and Spell Pierce and upgrade with Forces as you go. True Name is only around $7 each, so that's affordable, too.

I just completed my set of Forces and I got a set of nemesis Chinese Daze from my secret santa. I'm super stoked to try this out!
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Objectively I know Unearth is better, but does WW matter for an effect like this?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post

Objectively I know Unearth is better, but does WW matter for an effect like this?
    i've only seen unearth in fluctuator decks and once in a esper mentor/reanimator hybrid deck. maybe if it were an instant it could be good.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I don't think it could compete without Forces, maybe cutting Snapcaster for True Name Nemesis is correct.

You do realize Stifle is like a $4 card right? I mean, Wasteland + Stifle is the real combo but Wasteland is only around $30 right now. By legacy standards the Waste/Stifle/Daze synergy is basically a budget package. I would hesitate to call it competitive outside of Force of Will, believe me, I've tried, it's a significant drop in power level. However it is playable at the local level. Start with some number of Counterspell, Spell Snare, and Spell Pierce and upgrade with Forces as you go. True Name is only around $7 each, so that's affordable, too.

I just completed my set of Forces and I got a set of nemesis Chinese Daze from my secret santa. I'm super stoked to try this out!
    You might also consider cutting Snapcaster for Mission Briefing. It'll help flip Delvers and count towards the Salamander and Serpent. Being able to alt-cast FoW is a plus too. Not to mention it's cheaper than Snapcaster if budget is a goal.

Nothing to see here for Legacy, but man, that is some spicy Abzan goodness in other formats.

If DnT could make the B for the second half I could see it as part of an anti-control /prision package but I don't think the back half is good enough to run over Unearth

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by filln View Post
    You might also consider cutting Snapcaster for Mission Briefing. It'll help flip Delvers and count towards the Salamander and Serpent. Being able to alt-cast FoW is a plus too. Not to mention it's cheaper than Snapcaster if budget is a goal.
    Budget isn't really my goal, maybe for HdH_Cthulhu. I think the objective power level of Snapcaster is much better than Mission Briefing. I'm not saying Mission Briefing is bad, but the synergy between Snappy and Vapor Snag is pretty big game. I like that MB can allow you to re-cast Force with alternative costs but I'm not sure it's efficient enough at 2 mana. If I wanted a 2 mana counterspell I would play...Counterspell. If I'm using it to buy back Brainstorm then Snapcaster is clearly superior. Snapcaster at least doubles as a threat and can be cast under a Thalia without getting taxed.

Not only that, but Snapcaster might not even be correct. It might be correct to play True Name instead.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Budget isn't really my goal, maybe for HdH_Cthulhu. I think the objective power level of Snapcaster is much better than Mission Briefing. I'm not saying Mission Briefing is bad, but the synergy between Snappy and Vapor Snag is pretty big game. I like that MB can allow you to re-cast Force with alternative costs but I'm not sure it's efficient enough at 2 mana. If I wanted a 2 mana counterspell I would play...Counterspell. If I'm using it to buy back Brainstorm then Snapcaster is clearly superior. Snapcaster at least doubles as a threat and can be cast under a Thalia without getting taxed.

Not only that, but Snapcaster might not even be correct. It might be correct to play True Name instead.
    Does the surveil (and replacement of an instant/sorcery) make it better, in this instance at least? Since you are wanting instants and sorceries in the graveyard, at worst its a net 0 effect (play it, then cast one) or best case +2 I'd think it might get the nod but then again i don't play these kinds of decks normally so i might be off here.
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    Does the surveil (and replacement of an instant/sorcery) make it better, in this instance at least? Since you are wanting instants and sorceries in the graveyard, at worst its a net 0 effect (play it, then cast one) or best case +2 I'd think it might get the nod but then again i don't play these kinds of decks normally so i might be off here.
    That's a good call too. Plus for what it's worth, the winning Grixis Delver list of the Leaving a Legacy Open used Mission Briefing instead of Snapcaster and had good things to say about it (his thoughts are in one of the podcast episodes).

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    With 12 cantrips, 4 of them dumping extra cards into your graveyard, and 8 free counterspells I don't think getting enough instants/sorceries in the yard will be a problem. There's 28 of them in my decklist (posted in the mono-blue delver thread in New + Developmental.)

Even in this case I don't think it's better than Snapcaster. For one more mana I can Snapcaster > Thought Scour and have a beater/blocker to show for it. The surveil is good, but not good enough I don't think. Mission Briefing does a few things for you but none of them are fantastic. I mean, maybe? I would have to test it. It's a card I'll have to keep my eyes on, but I think the UU cost is what will hold it back the most.
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by filln View Post
    That's a good call too. Plus for what it's worth, the winning Grixis Delver list of the Leaving a Legacy Open used Mission Briefing instead of Snapcaster and had good things to say about it (his thoughts are in one of the podcast episodes).
    Interesting...I'll have to check this out.
    Brainstorm Realist

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

No talk about this one? It's an upgraded Rabid Bite. The option for instant speed mono-green removal that can also hit planeswalkers is interesting at the very least, although the ability to counter it by killing the creature in response might be too problematic for Legacy.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Modern Shadow sideboard card?

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I'm not sure if it quite makes it. It gives them a shockland mana-base payoff besides Death's Shadow, which is good.

I kind of dig how it works with Erebos, God of the Dead. It converts cards drawn into removal, even if you don't draw a removal card. This might be a way to make a black devotion deck possible in modern, getting Phyrexian Obliterator a little more play time. Arguel's Blood Fast seems pretty decent with this too, and it's on curve.

For Legacy it has a decent synergy with Toxic Deluge, but I'm not sure the format needs even more removal; the removal is already at a premium in that format. New card + Arguel's Blood Fast (flipped) + Abyssal Persecutor? Maybe a Gate-ish deck? Fun, but likely not competitive. I'm building BR demon reanimator for EDH, this new card might make the cut.

Nerd-meter - pair it with Bloodchief Ascension and Mindcrank. That combo needs a payoff card if the combo doesn't get drawn!
    Brainstorm Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post

Modern Shadow sideboard card?
    If it didn't need 4 counters and wasn't a dead draw after your opener then yes. But those are two huge reasons why it, and a card like bloodchief ascension are unplayable in a competitive format.

May 2015
    PDX

This card is in many ways just worse than Entomb targeting Vengeful Pharaoh. Following this path, Entomb is better targeting Grisel; so while this new enchantment has nothing to do with Reanimator tech, it's most easy to reduce to existing in a crappy [hypothetical] version of Reanimator (regardless of doing Reanimator stuff or not).

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    ...and a card like bloodchief ascension are unplayable in a competitive format.
    Nerd-meter is 100% satirical, mostly appealing to casual magic play. You heard it here first.
    Brainstorm Realist

Quote Originally Posted by mr. Safety View Post
    nerd-meter is 100% satirical, mostly appealing to casual magic play. You heard it here first.
    idgi

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    If it didn't need 4 counters and wasn't a dead draw after your opener then yes. But those are two huge reasons why it, and a card like bloodchief ascension are unplayable in a competitive format.
    This. Without life gain in your deck you can really only expect maybe two triggers off of this. And it requires some deck building hoops. And it gets worse the later you draw it and is nearly a dead top deck. And it still costs Mana to activate. #seemabad
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

It's obviously not competitive, but Mirror March seems like it's fun with effects like Warp World or Primal Surge.

Mirror March
    5R
    Enchantment
    Rare

Whenever a nontoken creature enters the battlefield under your control, flip a coin until you lose a flip. For each flip you won, create a token that's a copy of that creature. Those tokens gain haste. Exile them at the beginning of the next end step.

Thread Information