Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica & [RNA] Ravnica Allegiance

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica & [RNA] Ravnica Allegiance

Quote Originally Posted by taconaut View Post
    Not trying to be "that guy," but if your opponent is not applying any pressure, isn't literally any planeswalker fine?
    Sort of...it depends on if the ultimate is good enough. Dovin is a pumped up Dig through Time, Kaya is a Drain Life for what, maybe 8?

"Diva" is the best part of the name! She's like the crazy lovechild of The Joker and Lady Gaga.
    You win. I just didn't think I'd be attending a burlesque with Cannibal Corpse as background music...I mean it's amazing and all, but surprise factor is pretty high. Will I have an awkward boner? Yes.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by taconaut View Post
    Not trying to be "that guy," but if your opponent is not applying any pressure, isn't literally any planeswalker fine?
    I worded my post very carefully in case "that guy" showed up.

I think his design is clever because his minus (read: loss of loyalty) is negated by his plus. There is an elegance there much like in Chandra Ablaze. Neither are particularly good, but thought and effort went into the design.

Honest question, would Kaya be good even if she just cost WB?

In this format? The biggest thing holding her back are her colors, not necessarily her effects.

Though to answer your question: she'd be an admirable sideboard card at two mana. Unlike RIP, she lets your Snapcasters operate freely while corralling theirs, she eats Delver, Marit Lage, and a variety of niche cards, and her ultimate isn't miserable, especially if they're playing Anglers. Actually, she seems like a pretty solid answer to decks that run Delver and Angler if she were two mana.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

High Alert 1WU
    Enchantment
    Each creature you control assigns combat damage equal to its toughness rather than its power.
    Each creature you control can attack as though it didn't have defender.
    2WU: Untap target creature.

Wall Deck 2019? Seems better than Assault Formation, and is blue to pitch to FOW. Potentially able to build a deck where you drop this turn 3 and attack for lethal? I mean it's jank but fun jank.

----

Pestilent Spirit 2B
    Creature - Spirit
    Menace, deathtouch
    Instant and sorcery spells you control have deathtouch.
    3/2

Interesting with any of those divisible or repeatable burn spells like:

dual shot
    flame jab.

Edit:

Electrickery is a one sided wrath for 1R
    gut shot is a free kill spell

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    High Alert 1WU
    Enchantment
    Each creature you control assigns combat damage equal to its toughness rather than its power.
    Each creature you control can attack as though it didn't have defender.
    2WU: Untap target creature.

Wall Deck 2019? Seems better than Assault Formation, and is blue to pitch to FOW. Potentially able to build a deck where you drop this turn 3 and attack for lethal? I mean it's jank but fun jank.

----

Pestilent Spirit 2B
    Creature - Spirit
    Menace, deathtouch
    Instant and sorcery spells you control have deathtouch.
    3/2

Interesting with any of those divisible or repeatable burn spells like:

dual shot
    flame jab.

Edit:

Electrickery is a one sided wrath for 1R
    gut shot is a free kill spell
    I think Fire/Ice and Forked Bolt are very good as well.

Doesn't Dovin get a loyalty for every time a creature deals combat damage? I know he doesn't get a loyalty for every damage dealt, but it does for every creature right? So if i plus 1 and attack with 2 lingering souls tokens and connect, he goes straight up to 6 loyalty right? I think a token build could make this guy better than at first glance. Once you flood the board i imagine you might even get a couple ultimates out of him.

It could potentially be:

1UW, suspend 2: better dig through time
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Probably not Legacy-viable due to cost and being a 3-card combo at minimum, but I wonder what kind of instant-win combo she could pull out with Intruder Alarm.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

1 plus, not 1 plus or less. I am about to spend the next 6 weeks answering judge calls over her.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Mar 2007

1 plus, not 1 plus or less. I am about to spend the next 6 weeks answering judge calls over her.
    I've never said anything different. You would have to spread your CCs evenly to get going.

Folk Punk Pirate
    Oct 2007
    Mannheim, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

Probably not Legacy-viable due to cost and being a 3-card combo at minimum, but I wonder what kind of instant-win combo she could pull out with Intruder Alarm.
    Pestermite => Breaching Hippocamp => Karmic Guide (return Hippocamp) => kiki

No alarm needed i think
    Last edited by Jander78; 01-04-2019 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Adding tags since I have no idea what any of those cards do.
    Sneaky Pirates of Doom - Not really a Legacy Team anymore.

Birthing Pod on a body is actually super fucking sweet for EDH and is a card I've wanted for years for Sidisi, Brood Tyrant. Not playable in this format, though, especially given that actual Pod is legal and sees no play whatsoever.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I've never said anything different. You would have to spread your CCs evenly to get going.
    Oh it's not a complaint about you, my issue is that people are not going to realise they can't sac a 3 Drop for a 3 Drop and suddenly it's my problem.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

On Pestilent Spirit: Even though the card has some appeal, one must not forget that if you try to 2-1 your opponent with say Forked Bolt and they kill the Spirit in response, you have ultimately 1-2ed yourself.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by spirit of the wretch View Post
    Pestermite => Breaching Hippocamp => Karmic Guide (return Hippocamp) => kiki

No alarm needed i think
    that's a clever combo.
    -rob

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Erdvermampfa View Post
    On Pestilent Spirit: Even though the card has some appeal, one must not forget that if you try to 2-1 your opponent with say Forked Bolt and they kill the Spirit in response, you have ultimately 1-2ed yourself.
    The thing is, both cards are good on their own. If you get some gravy out of it, cool, if not you basically had a removal spell from your opponent act as a counterspell. Read the game state and act accordingly. I also mentioned Fire/Ice specifically because it puts you in blue, which gives you Force, Daze, Spell Pierce, and Flusterstorm. Once you switch over to modern and you have Thoughtseize to clear a path it gets even more reliable, given the format's tendency to tap out (because Daze, Spell Pierce, and Force aren't an issue.) Playing around Mana Leak and Remand is pretty easy in that format.

If the creature was a do-nothing dud, like a 4-mana 2/3 with this as its text, it would be terrible. But it has menace, deathtouch, and 3 power for 3 mana. It's a legitimate threat by itself.

I'm actually quite surprised at the quality level of the cards coming out of this set. It's almost like they reserve their best ideas for the set everyone expects to be good and takes chances on sets they know are likely to get less attention.
    Brainstorm Realist

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I'm actually quite surprised at the quality level of the cards coming out of this set. It's almost like they reserve their best ideas for the set everyone expects to be good and takes chances on sets they know are likely to get less attention.
    Or the playtest team finally got their shit together and do the job they're supposed to do, considering how far detached R&D has been from reality in the past few years. So we're back to getting good cards again instead of some chucklefucks playtesting their GR Werewolf deck and calling it a day.

About Spawn of Mayhem:
    Aside from sharing some of the plus points of the new Sphinx (bolf-proof, AD-immune, air domination), it's worth mentioning that it's technically a 4-turn clock instead of a 5-turn clock due to the pinging each turn. That's pretty aggressive, especially when played on T3 and backed up with disruption.

I mean, I KNOW this won't make the grade - but damned if you don't live the dream getting a Black Lotus every time your opponent Brainstorms!

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post
    I mean, I KNOW this won't make the grade - but damned if you don't live the dream getting a Black Lotus every time your opponent Brainstorms!

Ah this effect were like pay 1 Mana and on a bear it might make the cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Why the fuck is that four mana?!? Goddammnit, they actually print something that hoses blue shell in an interesting way, and then cost it at "LOL, play blue noobs!"

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Why the fuck is that four mana?!? Goddammnit, they actually print something that hoses blue shell in an interesting way, and then cost it at "LOL, play blue noobs!"
    It's four mana because it's designed primarily for EDH play, and it's going to be completely bonkers in EDH (kind of like Rhystic Study, but for Mana).

Thread Information