Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica & [RNA] Ravnica Allegiance

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Re: [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica & [RNA] Ravnica Allegiance

BGx being able to Kill Jace and Angler with a strong card is a huge deal, it'll see a lot of Legacy play I'm sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Careful, mate. The last time someone said that about BG cards, those were Abrupt Decay and DRS, which both ended up cantrip shell staples.

In general, Trophy isn't a Legacy card as it creates carddisadvantage, is counterable and has barely more relevant targets than Decay. It's an interresting card for Modern though.
    understood, but the only way to avoid blue decks from abusing good cards are to make them very narrow and/or awkward costs.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by Erdvermampfa View Post
    Assassin's Trophy is getting completely overrated right now and will almost certainly see next to zero play in Legacy. There is a reason that Path to Exile doesnt get played either if only because ramping your opponent in a format full of JCTMs and other planeswalkers is simply bad or if just for the fact that counterable CC2 removal sucks in legacy (Daze, Pierce, Flusterstorm, Thalia). In fact most creatures in legacy today aren't even played because of being creatures in the first place but because of their inbuilt effects (Snapcaster, Strix, Shardless, Leo etc.) and giving them even more value of out those is the worst idea ever.
    if you cannot see the huge difference in the comparison between swords and path and Decay and Assasin's Trophy you should really not evaluate any new cards tbh

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    understood, but the only way to avoid blue decks from abusing good cards are to make them very narrow and/or awkward costs.
    I wonder if BG is now enough of an "awkward cost" again after DRS
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Time to sleeve back Spell Snare. 2 will become a dangerous cc back again.

Careful, mate. The last time someone said that about BG cards, those were Abrupt Decay and DRS, which both ended up cantrip shell staples.

In general, Trophy isn't a Legacy card as it creates carddisadvantage, is counterable and has barely more relevant targets than Decay. It's an interresting card for Modern though.
    Then it will have to be supported by Hymn and Snapcaster Mage.

It will definitely see Legacy play and decks without basics will suffer even more. This will bring to a less important B2B and a less important Blood Moon.

Veteran Explorer will also see play. If you run him out of basics AT becomes much better

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    Veteran Explorer will also see play. If you run him out of basics AT becomes much better
    Still leaves the counter issue and the question of what you want to to remove with cmc 4+. I am very sceptical.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

I think it's funny that people are basically mad there's a 2 mana instant speed Vindicate and are all like "nah, that's trash"

If two days ago I'd said "wotc will print a 2 mana instant speed Vindicate" those same ppl would have been all "BS, OP"

It's pretty funny. Kind of like when WotC literally put $100-$1000 bills in random Zendikar packs in the form of "treasures" and folks bitched about it.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Why is Assasin's trophy being discussed as an alternative to Abrupt Decay instead of in addition? They can hit permanents not just creatures and Trophy can even hit non-basics, so unlike running a full suite of STP and PTE they are way less likely to be dead cards.

Like as a starting point, imagine this in shardless (random list below). Probably needs accel and mana fixing, but it can control the board pretty well and way more likely to destroy a permanent with a Shardless casting. If you somehow put in Snapcaster as well then you have even more oppurtunities to control the board.

4 Shardless Agent
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Baleful Strix

4 Ancestral Visions
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Hymn to tourach
    4 Abrupt Decay
    4 Assasin's trophy
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Ponder

4 Wasteland
    16 Lands

Hmmmmmm

Still leaves the counter issue and the question of what you want to to remove with cmc 4+. I am very sceptical.
    Angler, Jace, Chandra, any possible Eldrazi (but Emrakul) Griselbrand and any other Reanimator creature, Thran Dynamo, Ugin, Karn the only Tropical Island around against Sultai to cut him out of Green.. Karakas against Gaddock Teeg or Thalia, Cavern of Souls against Goblin or Merfolk

Always consider that with Surgical Extraction you can leave him out of a certain land. Against current decks you can easily kill his mana with

4 Wasteland
    4 Stifle
    4 Surgical
    4 Assassin’s Trophy
    4 Ghost Quarter
    4 Crucible of Worlds

I don't like the continous presence of this SCG sales guy (BenBleiweiss) in this thread trying to stir up hype for weak cards...can the mods do something about that please?

I don't like the continous presence of this SCG sales guy (BenBleiweiss) in this thread trying to stir up hype for weak cards...can the mods do something about that please?
    I don't think I've ever posted about a card here that I didn't genuinely think could have some relevance to Legacy. I'm not sure what I"m doing to give you the perception that I'm trying to "stir up hype for weak cards" (the only two cards I've posted are this one, and Assassin's Trophy), but if you could let me know how to change my posts to not give this impression, please let me know!

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

This is a public forum, unless he comes in and starts pressuring others to buy shit he is free to post and others are free to judge.

Plus, he did come in and let us all know about a day a head that SCG was going to drop something big, then posted Recruiter of the Guard. He does not troll us.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Jace, Batterskull, Leyline, Angler, Karakas, Port.

I don't man, every answer to Jace is open to counters as well. Dies to Removal: the Argument. A lot of sideboards that splashed green for Abrupt Decay but had to find additional answers for CMC4 & lands now have a simple concise catchall to bring in against decks that play permanents. I mean, what is more effective against an opponent's Tombstalker, an Assassin's Trophy that gets countered or an Abrupt Decay in your hand?

The range of targets is broad enough to consider it more on par with straight countermagic. Game 1 I don't know what you're playing, but I have a Force of Will for it. Instants, Sorceries, Creatures, don't care, bam; Answered. Sure you can counter my counter, that's just the game. Same thing with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

This is a public forum, unless he comes in and starts pressuring others to buy shit he is free to post and others are free to judge.

Plus, he did come in and let us all know about a day a head that SCG was going to drop something big, then posted Recruiter of the Guard. He does not troll us.
    Yeah, you didn't see me coming in a day ahead and posting about a 4/3 flash guy for 6 that mills for 4 ;)

Me asking for an intervention was kind of rhetorical but if this kind of mass manipulation from significant market players is tolerated here (as if buyouts etc. weren't enough already...) I also expect to be allowed to articulate my displeasure with such intentions and behaviour.

Both cards he "suggested" btw suck and will never be seen in competitive legacy play.

Me asking for an intervention was kind of rhetorical but if this kind of mass manipulation from significant market players is tolerated here (as if buyouts etc. weren't enough already...) I also expect to be allowed to articulate my displeasure with such intentions and behaviour.

Both cards he "suggested" btw suck and will never be seen in competitive legacy play.
    If you really think that me posting new cards that are spoiled is "mass market manipulation", then I think that tells me everything I need to know about your opinion. Thank you for chiming in, and I respectfully disagree with your opinion that Assassin's Trophy will "never be seen in competitive legacy play."

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Ben is a good guy and has been nothing but a positive member of our community and the magic community as a whole.

WTF is this shit Erdvermampfa? take your petty bitching and shitty attitude to pm's.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

I always interpret it as testing the waters in regards of investment into certain cards.

If you wanna put a pricetag on potential legacy cards, ask the Legacy players about the playability of said card. Makes a lot of sense to consult people who are often 10+ years in the format rather than younger crowds, Modern or Standard players.

Can't blame him or any of SCG employees in general. It's not different to the people who gauge targets for potential buyouts in a similar fashion. As long as it's not against the forum rules, I don't mind sharing my opinion. In this particular case, I wonder if he panders to me as a storm veteran lol.

By quickly running the numbers, I dont think the Creatures is worth it in Modern storm though.

Join us at Facebook!

Thread Information