Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica & [RNA] Ravnica Allegiance

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Re: [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica & [RNA] Ravnica Allegiance

I don't think it's legacy playable but it could be interesting when used with brainstorm/Ponder.

Unfortunately I don't think it can push other cards out of existing builds.

Always happy to be wrong about new cards though.
    -rob

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Nothing really good in today's spoilers.
    Just sharing this cause it shows hybrid mana and split cards are back.

Also an insanely good limited card.

I wish they at least spoiled a rare/mythic every day instead of just some commons & uncommons.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I really like the guild watermarks on some of the basic lands, very pretty. I feel like Necrotic Wound might be playable: it's cheap (B), instant, gives -x/-x, exiles instead of going to the graveyard, and has synergy with anything that fills its own graveyard with dudes. I see this as a direct relation to Stitcher's Supplier, which is already seeing some play. Narcomoeba reprint confirms they are toying with Dredge being a thing. Hell, you can play Supplier, Necrotic Wound, and Narcomoeba in standard.

Conclave's Tribunal having convoke makes it quite a bit better than otherwise. Getting an Oblivion Ring effect for cheap seems very good, especially when it doesn't get hit with Abrupt Decay. It could be a very good way for token decks to deal with problematic issues.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post

Hybrid mana was confirmed recently on Maro's blog, so no surprises here.

But man, the latest from looks goddamn ugly on split cards. As somebody pointed out on Twitter, using the deathtouch side on Goblin Chainwhirler is a one-sided wrath. And since it's hybrid, it works with either splash.

Jump-Start looks like overcosted garbage. for a card-neutral sorcery-speed Shock? Really, Wizards?

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Fuck, that's one ugly piece of cardboard.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Yeah, not a huge fan of NuBorderTM with split cards. The big blank spaces look pretty goofy.

One thing I noticed from that card specifically: normally, generic split cards follow a naming convention of [blank] and [blank], where the two are linked as some kind of commonly known phrase. I'm not sure how "Status and Statue" are linked. Is the link supposed to be that they sound similar? That's going to be a nightmare for clear communication, especially given how many players I've met over the years either have thick accents or limited vocabularies (I was playing EDH last week and had a guy pronounce "Inundate" three different ways in the span of two minutes, none of which were correct).

Looks like all the UBR cards will be basic rehash of some staple cards, with surveil instead of scry and jumpstart instead of flashback, considering they have already spoiled:

Dissolve with surveil
    Unsummon with surveil
    Think twice with jumpstart

etc etc

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Kage View Post
    Looks like all the UBR cards will be basic rehash of some staple cards, with surveil instead of scry and jumpstart instead of flashback, considering they have already spoiled:

Dissolve with surveil
    Unsummon with surveil

etc etc
    WotC has been creatively bankrupt for quite a while now. Them doing boring junk by the books isn't too suprising anymore. Shocklands, guildgates, guildleaders, etc.

The whole thing just feels like a soulless money grab based on the name alone. Unless they bring in some real bombs, I could see RtRtR fall below their sale expectations.

You know, for some reason, I was thinking the B/G card had flashback on the putrefy half, which would have made it a decent-ish card. But it doesn't. It's just terrible.

The current philosophy of "mass removal costs five mana, flexible target removal costs four mana, single target removal costs three mana" combined with "creatures strongker! DuH Dur dur dur!" Is just going to keep leading to awful Standards over and over. I'm 90% sure red shock flashback(but new!) costs that much because they know with the complete garbage removal options available they still have issues with hard aggro.

I mean, fuck, just reprint Loxodon Hierarch and Farseek if you're that worried about red being a problem.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Speaking of...

I don't Dredge, so I'm not confident in my ability to evaluate the card for that deck. Is it worthy of inclusion? I assume it works the 'good way' when cast from the graveyard (pay , discard Golgari Grave-Troll. Then replace the draw by dredging 6 cards).

If not for Legacy, maybe for Modern?

... I assume it works the 'good way' when cast from the graveyard..
    Definitely works that way. Though I'm not sure dredge is willing to pay 2 mana for anything.

No Fuse == Total trash /s.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Definitely works that way. Though I'm not sure dredge is willing to pay 2 mana for anything.
    Modern dredge pays 3 all the time for the flashback of Faithless Looting, but just draw 1 for 2 mana with no free discard AFTER the draw isn't nearly as good as draw 2 then discard 2. I don't think this will see play, but Jump Start has a lot of promise.

The bigger issue is that red is way better for Dredge than blue in Modern because of the lack of Breakthrough. Insolent Neonate, Faithless Looting, and Cathartic Reunion are all better than this.

I wouldn't expect anything big out of the Jump-Start commons or uncommons. The way they design sets these days means the vast majority of the Constructed-quality cards are at rare or mythic.

I must be total trash because I kinda like the new borders on the split card, in a weird way. I think just because it looks like an ugly tryhard business card, so is an adulty contrast to BADASS kiddie cgi art and UNIQUE limited edition borders.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Dissolve with surveil
    Unsummon with surveil

etc etc
    I am positive that this board can guess most of the cards with new mechanics given how WOTC designs modern cards.

May 2015
    PDX

Isn't it supposed to be Status//Statute? I don't think Status and Statues have much in common???

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Some FNM promos/other promos got leaked:

[IMG="https://i.redd.it/onknwtngnoj11.jpg"]https://i.redd.it/onknwtngnoj11.jpg[/IMG]

Card infos can be found here

The only one that struck me as mildly interesting was the new Emmara:

Emmara, Soul of the Accord
    Legendary Creature - Elf Cleric
    When this becomes tapped, create a 1/1 white creature token with lifelink.
    2/2

Not sure about the creature token type yet. She can be used to create tokens with Birchlore Ranger and Heritage Druid, although that might be too cute.
    Well, I'm just glad they printed an Emmara whose abilities actually fit with her character, unlike the original card.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Isn't it supposed to be Status//Statute? I don't think Status and Statues have much in common???
    I think Aggro_zombies had it correct. The words are only 1 letter off of each other.

Thread Information