Thread: BUG Leovold Loam

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

BUG Leovold Loam

I am typing this up right now because I want to start discussion, but I think I did something pretty cool. I have played variations of bad loam decks for years but have not posted about one for quite a while.

I will edit he opening post as I play and with discussion obviously...

This is a mostly BG based loam deck with a blue splash for Leo and Baleful Strix.

List:

Creatures:

Creatures (13)
    3 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Baleful Strix
    2 Tombstalker

Disruption (11)
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Collective Brutality
    3 Abrupt Decay

Walkers (3)
    3 Liliana of the Veil

Loam Things (9)
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Life from the Loam
    2 Sylvan Library

Land (24)

4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Polluted Delta
    2 Swamp
    1 Forest
    1 Island
    4 Wasteland
    1 Barren Moor
    1 Tranquil Thicket
    1 Cephalid Coliseum
    1 Academy Ruins
    3 Bayou
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Tropical Island

Sideboard (15)
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    3 Ground Seal
    2 Toxic Deluge
    2 Fatal Push
    2 Engineered Explosives
    2 Liliana, the Last Hope

Changes:

In: Cephalid Coliseum, 2 Polluted Delta Out: 2 Cycle lands

In: Academy Ruins Out: Barren Moor

There it is.. help/shred/lets go!
    Last edited by lavafrogg; 05-21-2018 at 07:06 PM.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: BUG Leovold Loam

How is there not a Cephalid Coliseum to lock these opponent out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    How is there not a Cephalid Coliseum to lock these opponent out?
    Because you are smarter than me.

The manabase is not right.

I did not try and get cute with the mana base yet, thank you for the feedback!

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Also too many cycle lands. You probably don't need more than 2 TBH. Replace with a coliseum for the lock, and maybe like a tar pit or something. I feel like you want a man land, but you also want it to help cast stuff
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Also too many cycle lands. You probably don't need more than 2 TBH. Replace with a coliseum for the lock, and maybe like a tar pit or something. I feel like you want a man land, but you also want it to help cast stuff
    Yeah, I know most of the cycle lands will get replaces except a few, just didn’t know the replacements. I also don’t ant to get too cute. Added more fetch lands and took out the cyclelands.

I feel like this deck could use academy ruins very well as a way to recur baleful strix and possibly engineered explosives Or crucible of worlds. Maybe cut a barren moor and a collective brutality

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Tzeentch View Post
    I feel like this deck could use academy ruins very well as a way to recur baleful strix and possibly engineered explosives Or crucible of worlds. Maybe cut a barren moor and a collective brutality

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I really don't want go get too cute with the mana base, I will look at Academy Ruins as it is a great card but I feel like Coliseum might do the same thing... late game lock out/card draw. I'll add one and see what happens.

May 2018
    Colorado

I think of http://buglands.com when I look at your list - which I'm a big fan of since it combines two of my favorite types of decks (loam and BUG stuff). I'm guessing the DD / Thespian's Stage combo had crossed your mind in a deck like this as another angle of attack. Looking at your list, if I was going to add those, I'd think about cutting the chalices and brutalities for some number of crop rotations, the combo, and some cantrips.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Yeaux View Post
    I think of http://buglands.com when I look at your list - which I'm a big fan of since it combines two of my favorite types of decks (loam and BUG stuff). I'm guessing the DD / Thespian's Stage combo had crossed your mind in a deck like this as another angle of attack. Looking at your list, if I was going to add those, I'd think about cutting the chalices and brutalities for some number of crop rotations, the combo, and some cantrips.
    You are the 5th person to send me that link ;). This is more of a BG deck that happens to have blue cards for Strix and Leo. As I am more of a BG player, I would rather play Chalice in this meta than just try and be a worse Deathrite deck.

I feel like someone who knows more than me said “Don’t play worse version of something else”.

This deck is trying to be a better version of the current Loam decks with the Chalice into Leo and a slightly better manabase. I could add the combo but, once again, I want to have a fairly stable mana base in this meta. I will keep reading BUG lands as he has a ton of good info on matchups where Loam is relevant.

Does anyone know if buglands.com guy is on the source?
    Last edited by lavafrogg; 05-21-2018 at 07:08 PM.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    You are the 5th person to send me that link ;). This is more of a BG deck that happens to have blue cards for Strix and Leo. As I am more of a BG player, I would rather play Chalice in this meta than just try and be a worse Deathrite deck.

I feel like someone who knows more than me said “Don’t play worse version of something else”.

This deck is trying to be a better version of the current Loam decks with the Chalice into Leo and a slightly better manabase. I could add the combo but, once again, I want to have a fairly stable mana base in this meta. I will keep reading BUG lands as he has a ton of good info on matchups where Loam is relevant.

Does anyone know if buglands.com guy is on the source?
    Late response, but I'm not sure if he is or not. He is the guy who created the top decked app and he does post on facebook from time to time in the Atlanta eternal group so maybe just try messaging him on there

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Collective Brutality/Liliana coupled with Loam is just pure gas, nice. I'm pretty sure your deck would really appreciate some high-impact planeswalkers like Jace, probably better than Leovold. Here is my reasoning: in other Leovold decks, they take advantage of the targeting trigger to draw extra cards and then Force of Will/Counterspell/Spell Pierce the spell. In this version you don't have ways of maintaining that kind of synergy. I think Dark Confidant is by far superior for card draw reasons unless you commit to more blue with Force of Will. It's older technology, but Intuition seems tailor-made for a deck like this.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

I think you, and many others, wrongly value Leo on it's card drawing ability. In many matchups that's just flavor text to be honest. The real power of Leo is shutting down cantrips. Thus Leo is strongest when opponent doesnt have removal and need to dig their way out. Thus Leo works great with targeted discard (to snag that bolt) or as a follow up to hymn. FOWing a bolt on Leo can be ok if you know there's no other bolts and grip full of cantrips. Daze n pierce seldom counters removal against a good opponent. Counters to save creatures ("protect the Queen") are just not that powerful, which is why the most popular creatures are hard to remove or unfavorable to remove. Leo is neither.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Collective Brutality/Liliana coupled with Loam is just pure gas, nice. I'm pretty sure your deck would really appreciate some high-impact planeswalkers like Jace, probably better than Leovold. Here is my reasoning: in other Leovold decks, they take advantage of the targeting trigger to draw extra cards and then Force of Will/Counterspell/Spell Pierce the spell. In this version you don't have ways of maintaining that kind of synergy. I think Dark Confidant is by far superior for card draw reasons unless you commit to more blue with Force of Will. It's older technology, but Intuition seems tailor-made for a deck like this.
    I am utilizing Leo more as a hatebear/lock piece than card advantage. The fact that he cantrips on any removal is a bonus to the shutting down of card draw.

He is like a different Gaddock Teeg.

I also am already running Dark Confidant and Baleful Strix.... tons of creature based card draw.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

And he combos with coliseum to basically mind Twist the opponent

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by JackaBo View Post
    I think you, and many others, wrongly value Leo on it's card drawing ability. In many matchups that's just flavor text to be honest. The real power of Leo is shutting down cantrips. Thus Leo is strongest when opponent doesnt have removal and need to dig their way out. Thus Leo works great with targeted discard (to snag that bolt) or as a follow up to hymn. FOWing a bolt on Leo can be ok if you know there's no other bolts and grip full of cantrips. Daze n pierce seldom counters removal against a good opponent. Counters to save creatures ("protect the Queen") are just not that powerful, which is why the most popular creatures are hard to remove or unfavorable to remove. Leo is neither.
    I think there's bigger problems in this list than the concept of building around Leovold; mainly 4 Dark Confidant and massive CMCs. This list is trying to mash-up Aggro Loam with a strategy that needs to be more blue. Protecting the queen is fine, but there's a few key concepts your deck has to incorporate concerning Leovold: Crop Rotation [no Chalice] for Karakas and Liliana, the Last Hope [no Lilly-otV]. If you're not incorporating protection from exile effects and yard recursion with a Leovold-centric strategy, the deck isn't really going in the right direction. Even in theory, AggroLoam is just a better deck when it keeps P-Fire and uses a card like Chandra-ToD if it wants a huge payoff rather than do this weird Leo thing.

The basic ideas in Leo Prison should look something like this:

DRS x4
    Leovold x2

Liliana, the Last Hope x2
    JTMS x1

Search for Azcanta x1
    Sylvan Library x1
    Pernicious Deed x1

Brainstorm x4
    Crop Rotation x2
    Abrupt Decay x2
    Thoughtseize x3
    Collective Brutality x2
    Toxic Deluge x2
    FoW x3
    Life from the Loam x2
    Blue flex slot x3 (Ponder, Stifle, Strix, SCM all options) - the key here is it's bringing you up to 14 total blue cards

Polluted Delta x4
    Misty Rainforest x3
    Bayou x2
    Underground Sea x3
    Tropical Island x1
    Island x2 (this extra basic could be Swamp)
    Forest x1
    Swamp x1
    Bojuka Bog x1
    Ghost Quarter x1 (can be Wasteland #3)
    Wasteland x2
    Cephalid Colosseum x1
    Karakas x1
    Thespian's Stage x1
    Dark Depths x1

The deck could be customized to have a blue count of 16 for FoW playset, Depths/Stage isn't required if you're looking to reduce total land count, and Loam could be brought down to a 1-of if you wanted to incorporate Entomb/Darkblast/Vengeful Pharaoh-style shenanigans. A sideboard should probably include Nephalia Drownyard, EE, anti-burn cards (Hydroblast), Surgical, Diabolic Edict, another Deed, and a few Flusterstorm. Probably fine to finish off the board with a few Fatal Push, Tabernacle if you own it, and even something spicy like Nissa, Vital Force. It's just very hard to imagine that Leovold is ever meant to be played competitively with Mox Diamond/Chalice instead of DRS and cards that increase consistency.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    I also am already running Dark Confidant and Baleful Strix.... tons of creature based card draw.
    Which is exactly my point: why do you need Leovold? Just to shut down opponent's extra draws? That seems ok, I guess. I just don't think he's worth a blue splash, nor do I think Baleful Strix is worth the blue splash. Once you dip your toe into blue waters it's pretty hard to ignore the more powerful options in that color (Jace, Intuition.) Just my opinion, anyway.

EDIT: I also noticed 2x Tombstalker with 4x Dark Confidant...without a way to manipulate your library. I don't think this is smart. Tarmogoyf seems much better in that space.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Thread Information