1 Pyroblast
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Choke
    1 Elderscale Wurm
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Bane of Progress
    3 Leyline of the Void
    1 Krosan Grip

I've been playing around with this for a while now. I started with the original GR things list with needles/scrying etc. As i kept playing, the deck just felt weak on threats when disrupted and had many clunky draws without lumberjack/dork sticking. (hard call with bolts/pushes etc).. which led me to Knight of the Reliquary. I was already splashing white for gaddock teeg in the board and figured that knight allows this deck to tutor up the combo, big threat, makes dudes with titania, good GSZ target. With more white you can add more combo hate pieces like thalia which pressures+hate.

Over 5 leagues or so, I've managed to clock a respectable overall 55% win rate vs the field with different iterations. This Naya variant has so far been the most competitive one. Deck is soft vs combo but I've had a great time vs pile, miracles, and other BUGx decks. Grixis can be rough if they do their delver thing. Bolts/Plow could be worth looking at in the board.

I might be straying too close to maverick but Knight is absurd in this deck.
    Solnox on MTGO

Miracles is a good matchup for depths. Quote me on this

Griselbrand is not an interesting creature.

Dread it. Run from it. Marit Lage still arrives

Re: RGStuff By the creator of bigdrazi and dark depth

Whatever happened to this deck? I thought it was such a cool idea! Would love to see it developed further.

In Response - Podcast
    Jun 2007
    Berne, Switzerland

After playing it a few times I have some questions:
    1. With the Crop Rotations the situation has popped up for me that I wished there was an Ancient Tomb in the deck to ramp with Rotations.
    2. I really liked Tireless Tracker and SB elderscale Wurm - why cut them in the newer versions?
    3. As has been mentioned before: Ruric Thar should maybe be in the main as a gameplan against combo and Miracles

That's all - the deck is a blast to play if you like Maverick and Loam and just want to channel the inner Timmy.
    Last edited by hofzge; 09-27-2018 at 05:33 AM.
    Chalice on 1

So is this deck actually good? I see a lot of people saying its just a meme, but it ticks all the boxes of what I love in magic and was thinking of putting it together.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by ThisIsNilla View Post
    So is this deck actually good? I see a lot of people saying its just a meme, but it ticks all the boxes of what I love in magic and was thinking of putting it together.
    I mean, it's sort of a variation of Aggro Loam, which just won a large event. It's probably a little better and a little worse than actual Aggro Loam, depending on the meta. You lose Loam, but you gain some big bodies, Natural Order and Dark Depths.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I mean, it's sort of a variation of Aggro Loam, which just won a large event. It's probably a little better and a little worse than actual Aggro Loam, depending on the meta. You lose Loam, but you gain some big bodies, Natural Order and Dark Depths.
    I assume you mean Chalice, since this deck plays the same amount of Loams as 4C loam does. Is there anywhere that people are talking about the deck? Like discord or something, because this thread seems a little dead.

bruizar

Variations of this have been around for a long while. I've been brewing with it myself.

This deck tech shows a high placing Japanese player with a titania/lumberjack/pufi build.
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles...titania-legacy

Of all the high CC cards GSZ targets, I am most fond of Titania and Ruric Thar. Athough Primevil Titan is very strong with Darkdepths and thespian stage, it requires you to run 2 land slots, a few crop rotations and in the case above, 4 knights of the reliquary. I think that is a little excessive. Dragonlord Atarka is very nice, but a little slow and if it gets countered, you will probably lose the game, so you need to play Spellbreaker Behemoth / Cavern of Souls imo. My favorite card, Ruric Thar, gives you a very aggressive creature that is stronger than Gurmag Angler and punishes playing any bolt, counterspell, cantrip or removal spell. It's a 3 turn clock that reduces the opponent's number of turns left by 1 for each spell they play, so the turns they get become low impact as they can't dig themselves out of the hole they are in.

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Variations of this have been around for a long while. I've been brewing with it myself.

This deck tech shows a high placing Japanese player with a titania/lumberjack/pufi build.
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles...titania-legacy

Of all the high CC cards GSZ targets, I am most fond of Titania and Ruric Thar. Athough Primevil Titan is very strong with Darkdepths and thespian stage, it requires you to run 2 land slots, a few crop rotations and in the case above, 4 knights of the reliquary. I think that is a little excessive. Dragonlord Atarka is very nice, but a little slow and if it gets countered, you will probably lose the game, so you need to play Spellbreaker Behemoth / Cavern of Souls imo. My favorite card, Ruric Thar, gives you a very aggressive creature that is stronger than Gurmag Angler and punishes playing any bolt, counterspell, cantrip or removal spell. It's a 3 turn clock that reduces the opponent's number of turns left by 1 for each spell they play, so the turns they get become low impact as they can't dig themselves out of the hole they are in.
    Yeah so I picked up the deck on MTGO, After about 20 matches I feel like the Knights and Prime Time really make the deck tick. The depths combo really gets you out of sticky situations where I don't see how the deck would win otherwise (Especially vs TNN). Spell breaker seems okay if you are in a super heavy Miracles meta and Atarka/Ruric seem to be a meta call about what is in the side and what is in the main depending on what is popular. I would like to find a way to put a tirelless tracker or 2 into the side for the control matchups but I honestly dont know what to take out for them.

Could Prowling Serpopard be better than Spellbreaker Behemoth? Vulnerable to Bolt and Decay but easier to cast and makes all your creatures uncounterable instead of only the ones with 5+ power. Not sure if the pros outweight the cons.

Quote Originally Posted by Glass House View Post
    Could Prowling Serpopard be better than Spellbreaker Behemoth? Vulnerable to Bolt and Decay but easier to cast and makes all your creatures uncounterable instead of only the ones with 5+ power. Not sure if the pros outweight the cons.
    So I haven't found people countering my creatures to even be that big of deal honestly. I've only been grinding in it for about 25 matches now but it feels like a mix of Lands, 4c Loam, and maverick. At its heart it's a loam, pfire, kotr deck which tends to overload a lot of counters because so many things are must answers. KOTR can run away with the game easily if left unchecked, (especially with a sylvan safekeeper and loam going), so can titania, so can just pfire and grove vs certain decks.

So far the big issue I have had with the deck has been the wrong half of the deck issue that always happens with these types of decks. Sometimes you get a fast combo hand when you need it to be grindy, and visa versa. This gets smoothed out a bit by GSZ and library.

So far the deck feels really good to me, it's running over a lot of fair blue and non blue decks and having issues with the faster combos, but that's kinda the price of doing business with decks like these.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ThisIsNilla View Post
    So I haven't found people countering my creatures to even be that big of deal honestly. I've only been grinding in it for about 25 matches now but it feels like a mix of Lands, 4c Loam, and maverick. At its heart it's a loam, pfire, kotr deck which tends to overload a lot of counters because so many things are must answers. KOTR can run away with the game easily if left unchecked, (especially with a sylvan safekeeper and loam going), so can titania, so can just pfire and grove vs certain decks.

So far the big issue I have had with the deck has been the wrong half of the deck issue that always happens with these types of decks. Sometimes you get a fast combo hand when you need it to be grindy, and visa versa. This gets smoothed out a bit by GSZ and library.

So far the deck feels really good to me, it's running over a lot of fair blue and non blue decks and having issues with the faster combos, but that's kinda the price of doing business with decks like these.

What does your list look like right now?
    Loam/Ice Station Zebra/Depths/Jund/GB Pox

Re: RGStuff

I'm just using the challenge list still. I haven't had a chance to play much since Sunday and I like to get a lot of games under my belt before I make changes.

Slowly picking up the cards I'm missing for this deck (NO, Primetime, Dragon, Titania) just so I can play this sometimes on a break from Loam. Why is Dragonlord one of the go to NO targets? Because it can clear the field? Has anyone used Archon of Valor's Reach or Ramunap Excavator in this deck? Is there any reasoning to a 2nd Dryad Arbor? or too awkward in opening hands I guess.

Why only 2 Lumberjack and 2 Natural order? Diversify?
    Last edited by hovercraft; 10-17-2018 at 07:48 AM.
    Loam/Ice Station Zebra/Depths/Jund/GB Pox

hi guys

first time poster(well, first in a long time any way).

going to post my version of this concept here. it has some similarities to the list already posted but kinda operates on some other game plans as well. if it feels different enough, i will gladly start it's own thread so as to not gum up this one.

this is a project i've been working on for the better part of 6 months plus on my own. the applejacks list that popped up felt like a bit of validation of concept(rg unfair) to continue working on it. i've tried a lot of iterations but my current list feels like the most well rounded and stable. anyway enough talk, the list already!

jkibbs rg monsters

3 natural order
    3 sneak attack
    3 nahiri, the harbinger
    1 woodfall primus
    1 dragonlord atarka
    1 emrakul, aeons torn
    3 green sun zenith
    3 orcish lumberjack
    4 tinder wall
    1 fierce empath
    1 eternal witness
    1 ranunap excavator
    1 huntmaster of the fells
    1 knight of the reliquary
    1 primeval titan
    2 sylvan library
    4 punishing fire
    1 life from the loam

2 elvish spirit guide

1 dryad arbor
    2 taiga
    2 savannah
    2 wooded foothills
    3 windswept heath
    1 plains
    1 mountain
    2 forest
    3 wasteland
    3 grove of the burnwillows
    1 karakas
    1 thespian stage
    1 dark depths

sideboard
    3 red elemental blast
    3 surgical extraction
    1 ancient grudge
    2 containment priest
    1 gaddock teeg
    2 swords to plowshares
    2 blessed alliance
    1 elesh norn, grand cenobite

so while this deck can operate like a pseudo loam list, it is much more in its element when its trying to play unfair. its main plan is to make 4 mana on turn 2 and do something busted(the 3 easy ways are: t1 jack off taiga, t1 wall into t2 land drop, t1 GSZ for arbor into t2 land #3 into wall). it can actually make more in certain cases but t2 sneak, order or nahiri are all pretty good starts to the game. this deck came about as a desire for me to play an emarakul deck but run less emrakul. i did this originally by playing 4 GSZ and 2 empath which allows to GSZ to put emrakul into hand for a sneak or through the breach(my original list was 4 sneak 4 breach 3 order). if we have an active sneak in play then this also allows us the NO for empath and sneak emrakul(we can also sneak empath from hand into sneak emarkul if we have access to RR and empath in hand). t2 nahiri means t4 attacking emrakul and t2 NO can mean all sorts of issues for our opp ranging from DD combo or 2 wastelands or groves or just wiping their board and an 8/8 flying trample beater. primus was terrestadon but the elephant just gives our opp too much residual value if we use it via sneak. primus is 2/3 the destruction(off sneak) with none of the draw backs and is still a persisting 6/6 trample that likely hits a land on t2. it also has utility value of hitting bridges or other problem non creature permanents.

so one of my reasons for posting this list is to get some help with my SB. it feels a bit clunky atm but maybe some of my bad match ups are just tough no matter what i do(ub reanimator, and show n tell variants). anyway enjoy the list, and ideas are welcome. i'm happy to go more in depth on card choices if anyone is curious.

random all stars of the deck: sylvan library, tinder wall, excavator. seriously all of these cards are so good in this list it's insane.

btw hovercraft, i run DL as a general sweeper and solid clock. 8/8 is serious body and its a legit one sided wrath vs a lot of fair legacy decks and it's the best effect of its type we can NO for. it can be karakased back to our hand which can be annoying ..... but we also run karakas so we can abuse it off of our sneak attack. sneak+karakas+dragon all together is basically impossible to beat for much of the fair part of the format. unfair decks don't care but there are a lot of decks do.

Lurker
    May 2007
    Berkeley, CA

Hello,
    I've had some fun and not-categorically-terrible results with this at my weekly lately.

I've been experimenting with a variation on this theme based largely on this build:
    https://mtgtop8.com/event?e=20909&d=338435&f=LE

My list is:

2 Orcish Lumberjack
    2 Birds of Paradise
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Sylvan Safekeeper
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Knight of Autumn
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Titania, Protector of Argoth
    1 Archon of Valor's Reach
    1 Dragonlord Atarka

4 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Natural Order
    2 Life from the Loam
    3 Punishing Fire
    3 Crop Rotation
    4 Mox Diamond

1 Maze of Ith
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Thespian's Stage
    1 Karakas
    1 Scattered Grove
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    4 Wasteland
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Wooded Foothills
    1 Scattered Groves
    1 Savannah
    2 Taiga
    2 Forest
    1 Plains

SB:
    1 Ruric Thar
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Ancient Grudge
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Blazing Volley (theoretically for Mom decks and Elves)
    2 Choke
    2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Pithing Needle (not sure what this is for, might cut it)

A few weeks ago I lost with a v.similar list to Elves and Dredge (while beating Pox and I think the bye) and the sideboard is tuned accordingly.

Last night:

R1 vs. Maverick
    Mulled to 5 game one, he STP'd my Birds and Wastelanded me, put together a wall of Moms and Hierarchs and beat me down with Scavenging Ooze. Think I got Titania out but it didn't matter against all that protection.

G2 he tried to do the same thing, putting three Hierarchs and two summoning-sick Moms on the board by turn 3. I got to live the dream and Natural Order for Dragonlord Atarka and wipe his board 5-for-1 style. Or really six-for-two since I traded a Natural Order and Birds for three druids, two clerics and a STP. Anyway made me feel like a cowboy and he scooped soon thereafter.

Mulled to 6 game three. Drew a lot of blanks and ended the game with Atarka and a Natural Order in my hand. Before I died I managed to hardcast Archon of Valor's Reach naming instants. He looked at his next card, said "I'm sorry" and slammed Palace Jailer. Skull emoji.

0-1

R2 vs. Miracles
    G1 was 25 minutes long but could've been closed a lot faster if I'd realized Mission Briefing is a card in that deck now and used Bojuka Bog accordingly. Eventually he scooped for time because Punishing Grove + ~8 lands is real good vs. his deck. Side note: it feels reeeeaaal good to grind against Miracles so hard they feel like THEY'RE the ones worried about time.

G2 he got a Back to Basics and Jace in fairly short order and I died.

G3 a very awkward draw got very good when I managed to T1 Mox, Loam, get back lands, then topdeck and play out two more Moxes, effectively blanking the Back to Basics he played. He surgical'd Loam but it didn't matter; he kept trying to kill stuff like Orcish Lumberjacks and I kept having more threats and eventually we wound up in turns with KOTR on the board and Depths in play.

I was afraid of awkward whoever-blinks-second-wins shenanigans making it hard for me to stack activating Knight to get Stage, but I got extremely lucky and topdecked Stage on T1 of turns. I activated it on his endstep T2, holding up Knight. I then topdecked REB, again feeling like a cowboy or possibly a man wearing a tanktop and headband.

Thus when I went to attack with Marit Lage T3 he quickly showed me AK and Terminus on top I replied "FIRST OF ALL." Red blast. He then went to STP and I activated Knight for Sejiri Steppe. We got there. Praise hands emoji.

1-1

R3 vs. U/R Landstill
    G1 I mulled and he had multiple FOWs for KOTR and whatnot and quickly beat me down with Factory and Faerie Conclave.

G2 His deck did not show up and I played Choke and beat him down while holding various other threats in hand.

G3 He played a T1 Conclave, I Wastelanded it. Once he was on two lands he played a Standstill and I fetched a Dryad Arbor. We then played about 10 turns of draw-go + in-for-1 while he waited to draw another manland, with him eventually cleanup discarding AKs and me playing out a lot of lands, including Wasteland and Maze of Ith. Finally he broke his own Standstill with Fact or Fiction on my endstep. The game ended with me grinding away his life total with Punishing Fire and Dryad Arbor while holding more action.

2-1

R4 vs. Punishing Blood Sun Depths (?)
    We only played one for fun before I had to scram. He told me he doesn't love this matchup; I think that's partly because I play a ton of lands so Trinisphere isn't ruinous, plenty of threats that don't care about Chalice, and being able to Crop Rotation straight into Marit Lage against Blood Sun is real dumb.

So yeah. The list still needs polish and may always just be kinda clunky and random and also often bad against fast combo, but it's been a welcome break from Grixis Control for me. Major props to everyone who put in work to help brew this; it's fun.
    "It possesses no intelligence, only counter-intelligence."

Such a cool idea for a deck.

Correct me if I am wrong but Orcish Lumberjack can regularly generate 5 mana on turn 2 correct?

Turn 1: Land + Lumberjack
    Turn 2: Another land, tap both lands for 2 mana, tap Lumberjack and sac a land for an additonal 3 mana.

That 5 mana on turn 2 can be used to play either a Titania on turn 2, or a GSZ for 0 to grab a Dryad Arbor and sac it to cast Natural Order -> Progenitus turn two.

Both are very strong plays, but both require an Orcish Lumberjack in your opening hand.

Would adding Veteran Explorer + Cabal Therapy to provide another route for mana acceleration and to improve consistency be a good idea? Explorer can be sacced to Natural Order as well.

Lurker
    May 2007
    Berkeley, CA

Beat Storm and Grixis Delver with this the other night and went to time against Deadguy Ale.

Storm got stuck with land-light draws and Wasteland punished them. G2 I got an absurd opener of like T1 Mox Diamond into Thalia, get it Fatal Pushed, T2 Wasteland play Settlers, T3 slam Ruric Thar.

The Grixis matchup was a grind (at one point I tapped eight lands and gave my opponent two life in order to kill a Gurmag Angler with Punishing Fire) but being able to threaten to go wide with Titania while also stealing wins off the Marit Lage combo was really busted. I'm also glad Knight of Autumn exists (killing Bitterblossom mattered) and am tempted to replace the Ancient Grudge in the board with a second copy.

The Deadguy Ale matchup was really stupid and ended with an epic topdeck fight in turns while I had 39 life from getting Marit Lage STP'd. Thoughtseize proved to be a frustrating card for both of us while a second Marit Lage sat under Ensnaring Bridge, but the match was against a friend and we'd spent the prior 50 minutes taking turns being stressed and wondering why we weren't just drawing with each other, so when it came time to shake hands and let the outcome lie in mystery, I was content.

There's a strong argument that list I posted above would be better off with more Titania and less Natural Order. So far NO has mainly proven a remarkably cute way to trap interesting cards in my hand. I also never know wtf to name with Archon of Valor's reach. Sigarda, Host of Herons is a card.

deleted cause it was a bad list ...
    Last edited by adrieng; 05-11-2019 at 06:39 AM.

Lurker
    May 2007
    Berkeley, CA

UPDATE: I took this tweaked list to a couple more weeklies. This 75 is 5-1-1 in matches, 12-7-1 in games.

2 orcish lumberjack
    2 birds of paradise
    1 dryad arbor
    1 sylvan safekeeper
    1 scavenging ooze
    1 gaddock teeg
    1 tireless tracker
    1 knight of autumn
    4 knight of the reliquary
    2 titania of argoth

4 green sun's zenith
    3 crop rotation
    3 punishing fire
    2 life from the loam
    2 sylvan library

4 mox diamond
    1 dark depths
    1 thespian stage
    1 blast zone
    1 sejiri steppe
    1 karakas
    1 ancient tomb
    3 grove of the burnwillows
    3 taiga
    2 savannah
    1 forest
    3 wooded foothills
    4 windswept heath
    4 wasteland

sb
    1 bojuka bog
    1 garruk relentless
    1 nissa, vital force
    2 tormod's crypt
    2 thalia of thraben
    2 cindervines
    3 red elemental blast
    3 blazing volley

I beat Lands, S&T, Storm, Bomberman and Elves. Lost to Grixis Delver, and went to time against Grixis Control.

There are a bunch of questions it'd be fair to ask about the list, some meta-dependent, but based on the matches I've played so far, it feels decent. I don't find myself missing the Natural Order package.

I suspect this list will evolve with the advent of Wrenn and Six, but exactly how is not obvious to me...

Good luck have fun do weird stuff

Thread Information