Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RGStuff By the creator of bigdrazi and dark depth

Lurker
    May 2007
    Berkeley, CA

Re: RGStuff By the creator of bigdrazi and dark depth

Farewell, this bizarro pile of massively fun befuddlement. You created some baffling board states. Yes you did. Yes you did.

4 kotr
    1 dryad arbor
    1 sylvan safekeeper
    1 elvish reclaimer
    1 tarmogoyf
    1 scavenging ooze
    1 gaddock teeg
    2 knight of autumn
    2 titania of argoth

3 punishing fire
    4 once upon a time
    4 gsz
    3 crop rotation
    4 wrenn and six

4 mox diamond
    1 dark depths
    1 thespian stage
    1 bojuka bog
    1 sejiri steppe
    1 karakas
    1 ancient tomb
    2 grove otb
    2 taiga
    2 savannah
    1 forest
    1 horizon canopy
    4 wasteland
    4 windswept heath
    2 wooded foothills

1 tireless tracker
    2 phyrexian revoker
    2 tormod’s crypt
    2 dead / gone
    2 cindervines
    2 deafening silence
    2 pyroblast
    2 red elemental blast

I suspect the Wrenn and Six ban is reasonable for the meta overall, but this deck has been the most fun I've had playing Naya since Zoo quit being a deck around 2012 I guess. Pour one out for it and wish me luck brewing a version of it with no W6...

EDIT: almost forgot to mention for posterity on its final run at my local this went 3-1 (2-1-1 but we played after the ID) beating UR Delver, Mentor/Astrolabe/Oko ctrl, and a hilarious Jeskai ascendancy pile aaaanndd losing kinda to itself disguised as U/w Blade with multiple Back to Basics and Palace Jailers. Yep
    "It possesses no intelligence, only counter-intelligence."

This deck has intrigued me for a while now and thought I'd comment to keep this thread alive.

As an old school player, I've always loved red green aggro. In particular Orcish Lumberjack. I've read several of the last comments pushing the deck closer to a Lands build, but what about an aggro approach with Goyf?

If you cut Dark Depths combo pieces you open up room for Tarmogoyf, Lightning Bolt, Wasteland etc.. This strategy, rather than Marit Lage, you want Progenitus as your bomb along side Titania synergies. Plus you get Wasteland + Titania combo, and if you run Ramunap you get the Wasteland soft lock synergy. Lightning Bolt for removal and reach and Abrade for more removal but mostly for Chalice match ups and Reclamation Sage + GSZ to further battle Chalice. I've goldfished a few games on my (not at all tuned) list and the deck seems not bad. Here's what I've been toying with. Is this route decent or is the Marit Lage route strictly better?

Creatures / Toolbox:
    1x Birds of Paradise
    4x Orcish Lumberjack
    2x Tinder Wall
    1x Ramunap Excavator
    1x Reclamation Sage
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Sylvan Safekeeper
    1x Progenitus
    1x Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
    4x Tarmogoyf
    4x Titania, Protector of Argoth

Removal:
    3x Abrade
    4x Lightning Bolt

Utility:
    4x Green Sun's Zenith
    4x Natural Order
    1x Sylvan Library

Land:
    4x Wasteland
    1x Dryad Arbor
    6x Forest
    4x Taiga
    4x Windswept Heath
    4x Wooded Foothills

Sideboard:
    1x Dragonlord Atarka
    3x Pithing Needle
    4x Surgical Extraction
    ?
    ?

[EDIT] Grammar
    "WaaaauuugghhhaaaauuugghhhaauuugghhhaaauuugghhhW" -Chewbacca

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    This deck has intrigued me for a while now and thought I'd comment to keep this thread alive.

As an old school player, I've always loved red green aggro. In particular Orcish Lumberjack. I've read several of the last comments pushing the deck closer to a Lands build, but what about an aggro approach with Goyf?

If you cut Dark Depths combo pieces you open up room for Tarmogoyf, Lightning Bolt, Wasteland etc.. This strategy, rather than Marit Lage, you want Progenitus as your bomb along side Titania synergies. Plus you get Wasteland + Titania combo, and if you run Ramunap you get the Wasteland soft lock synergy. Lightning Bolt for removal and reach and Abrade for more removal but mostly for Chalice match ups and Reclamation Sage + GSZ to further battle Chalice. I've goldfished a few games on my (not at all tuned) list and the deck seems not bad. Here's what I've been toying with. Is this route decent or is the Marit Lage route strictly better?

Creatures / Toolbox:
    1x Birds of Paradise
    4x Orcish Lumberjack
    2x Tinder Wall
    1x Ramunap Excavator
    1x Reclamation Sage
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Sylvan Safekeeper
    1x Progenitus
    4x Tarmogoyf

Removal:
    3x Abrade
    4x Lightning Bolt

Utility:
    4x Green Sun's Zenith
    4x Natural Order
    1x Sylvan Library

Land:
    4x Wasteland
    1x Dryad Arbor
    6x Forest
    4x Taiga
    4x Windswept Heath
    4x Wooded Foothills

Sideboard:
    1x Dragonlord Atarka
    3x Pithing Needle
    4x Surgical Extraction
    ?
    ?

[EDIT] Grammar
    Looks sweet but I don't like md abrade. If you're concerned with chalice run summoning trap. Orcish L can hardcast it if needed.
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of Abrade either but I figured between Moon Stompy, Loam and Eldrazi you're bound to run into Chalice. My thinking was that Abrade would also be useful in Delver matchups. Summoning Trap appears to be not shitty for battling Chalice. I've never noticed that card before.

Maybe that slot could/should be used for adding more pressure via cheap aggressive bodies and put Chalice hate in the sb along with the Combo hate. I was considering Bonecrusher Giant or Steel Leaf Champion.

Bonecrusher Giant almost seems better but he's red so he can't GSZed or sacked to NO. SLC can and he's out of Bolt range. Maybe a split of both or do those guys suck?

Just after a few goldfishes Steel Leaf Champion is much more appreciated than Abrade. Often I was getting hands with no bombs and stuck with nothing but Bolts and Abrades. He comes out turn 2 no problem after a turn one GSZed Dryad, Birds or Lumberjack.

Just after a few goldfishes Steel Leaf Champion is much more appreciated than Abrade. Often I was getting hands with no bombs and stuck with nothing but Bolts and Abrades. He comes out turn 2 no problem after a turn one GSZed Dryad, Birds or Lumberjack.
    Bonecrusher is solid too. Collector ouphe is the new best gsz option due to underworld imo. I'd do one md 1/2 SB plus something like thorns. I'd cut one tinder for hexdrinker too.
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Yeah, Ouphe is really good. He should be in there. Also, after goldfishing I'm realizing Tinder Wall isn't that great anyway.

I've been toying around with Terravore in that Abrade/Steel Leaf slot after I noticed how much land gets dumped into the graveyard. He gets huge fast! Especially considering his ability counts all lands in all graveyards. So if you Wasteland your opponents land he gets +2/+2.

In that build I cut Lightning Bolt and added 2 Crop Rotation to fetch Wasteland. This puts two lands in the yard triggering Titania twice. It also pumps Terravore +3/+3. I also added a lone Gaea's Cradle which has really tested well. I've been getting some massively explosive hands.

By turn two you can get Titania in play with three 5/3 tokens plus toast one of opponent's lands. Here's a hand similar to a couple I've had.

Turn one: Land + Lumberjack

Turn 2: Play Fetchland, sack it grab a Tiaga, tap it, tap Lumberjack and sack one of the tapped lands for 5 mana. Cast Titania, triggering her ability, bring the fetchland back into play. Crack it, create a 5/3 token, search library for a Forest and put it into play. Tap it and cast Crop Rotation thus sacking my Forest, create another 5/3 token, grab Wasteland with the Crop Rotation and put it into play. Crack it and waste opponent's land triggering Titania again. Put another 5/3 token into play.

Another way to play the Crop Rotation is to grab Cradle instead of Wasteland. Tap the Cradle for 3 and cast Terravore, or any other threat.

Also, turn 2 Progenitus is nice.

Still not sure this is better than Dark Depths route buts it's really fun to play. Maybe with some tweaking.

Sep 2011

Can you fit in Bonecrusher Giant anywhere? It has good utility doing 2 things at once, maybe in place of some Bolts.

Tinder Wall seems bad.

Do you want 3-4 Veil of Summer either main or SB to deal with counters and other stuff?

I think Veil of Summer is a perfect fit for the sideboard. It should definitely be there.

I do have a couple of lists together, and I've come to the conclusion that bigger bombs is better than Lightning Bolt. The deck needs to add pressure. Often if you don't draw Lumberjack the deck just durdles. Cheap 3 cc fatties have come in really handy in these situations. I am testing 3x Bonecrusher Giant and 4x Steel Leaf Champion. These guys hit the table turn two almost every time I draw them. The body on the Steel Leaf Champion is sexy! ;) Especially since he can't be chump blocked.

I've cut Tarmogoyf but I'll probably put him back in at some point. He's just not a bomb early in the game before there is anything in the yard. Terravore is an absolute bomb! I can often have a 6/6 trample attacking turn three. Sometimes bigger. These guys are hard to test with goldfishing because I don't know what my opponents graveyard looks like. I was testing 4x Terravore but found that to be too many because occasionally I don't draw Wasteland, Crop Rotation or Orcish Lumberjack to fuel him.

There's not much of a toolbox with Crop Rotation but 6 Wastelands is tight! Especially with Ramunap. Also super good with Terravore and Titania. The Gaea's Cradle comes in very handy and is always appreciated.

Here's the list currently I'm toying with and I do like it better than the previous list.

BEATZ:
    4x Orcish Lumberjack
    2x Birds of Paradise
    1x Sylvan Safekeeper
    1x Ramunap Excavator
    1x Reclamation Sage
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    4x Bonecrusher Giant
    4x Steel Leaf Champion
    1x Terravore
    1x Progenitus

UTILITY:
    4x Green Sun's Zenith
    4x Natural Order
    2x Crop Rotation
    1x Sylvan Library

LAND:
    2x Dryad Arbor
    2x Forest
    1x Gaea's Cradle
    3x Stomping Ground
    4x Taiga
    4x Wasteland
    4x Windswept Heath
    4x Wooded Foothills

EDIT: -1 Terravore +1 Bonecrusher Giant

Also, after goldfishing I see why adrieng wasn't running Progenitus. He's great but if you just NO for Titania she always gets a 5/3 token on the ETB trigger since she returns a fetch or wasteland to be sacked and she gets out of hand fast. Plus, obviously Progenitus sucks when you draw him. And Dragonlord Atarka fits better now that I've cut removal. That is all.
    Last edited by Laser Brains; 02-16-2020 at 08:12 AM.

I've been tuning the aggro build of this deck and I've been calling Taiga Beat. ;) I have included some very very nice synergistic additions. For starters, I've cut Bonecrusher Giant, Steel Leaf Champion and Lightning Bolt and re-included the Depths package, but not so much that I'm dedicating a huge chunk of the deck to it. One of the big additions that has been invaluable is Ancient Tomb. I tested Gaea's Cradle. It sucks in comparison. Tutoring for Ancient Tomb with Crop Rotation has allowed me to make some huge plays a turn earlier than I normally would have been able to. Especially with Thespian's Stage's activation cost.

The deck has three ways to win.

1). Combo out with Titania (one to three 5/3 tokens) turn two. Follow up with Wasteland, more tokens etc.. This done primarily with Lumberjack + Titania or ramp into Natural Order via Crop Rotation for Ancient Tomb with a ramp dude (Birds or GSZ into Dryad). This shit happens all of the time. Probably 55-65% of the time

2). Aggro beats. Beat em down with dudes while disrupting their mana base. 4 Crop Rotation means 8 Wastelands. 1cc 3/4 dudes with the name Elvish Reclaimer is bonkers! Terravore has been a bomb! This deck literally shovels lands into the graveyard. I've won games with 10/10 Terravores. Between Crop Rotation, Wasteland, Fetchlands, Elvish Reclaimer's ability and Lumberjack the deck is dumping lands into the yard. This does so many things. It triggers Titania, makes your dudes bigger, ramps you into big plays etc.. Ramunap has become invaluable as I've ran out of lands to fetch and recurring Wastelands and Taigas has saved me.

3). Combo out with Marit Lage. Again, Elvish Reclaimer's ability to assemble the combo is tight here. Not to mention if your opening hand has Thespian's Stage and Once Upon a Time you can often draw into a Crop Rotation for Dark Depths very often.

I've assembled a sideboard that can probably use some work but so far I've included Cavern of Souls which is easily searched up with Crop Rotation for control matchups. Maze of Ith for pesky Griseldads, Marit Lage etc.. And Ingot Chewer for Stompy/Chalice matchups.

I haven't fully tested it in the gauntlet yet but I will be testing and posting tweaks and match-ups soon if anyone is interested. Decks I will be testing against, piloted by my buddy Schleib, are: Eldrazi, Reanimator, Delver, Hogaack, Enchantress, and Death & Taxes.

Here's my fairly tuned list:

Beatz:

2x Birds of Paradise
    4x Orcish Lumberjack
    1x Ramunap Excavator
    1x Reclamation Sage
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Sylvan Safekeeper
    4x Elvish Reclaimer
    1x Tarmogoyf
    2x Terravore

Utility:

4x Crop Rotation
    4x Once Upon a Time
    4x Green Sun's Zenith
    4x Natural Order
    1x Sylvan Library

Land:

1x Dark Depths
    2x Thespian's Stage
    1x Ancient Tomb
    2x Dryad Arbor
    4x Taiga
    4x Wasteland
    4x Windswept Heath
    4x Wooded Foothills

Sideboard:

1x Cavern of Souls
    1x Maze of Ith
    1x Collector Ouphe
    1x Dragonlord Atarka
    3x Ingot Chewer
    4x Leyline of the Void
    1x Progenitus
    2x Veil of Summer

Okay, so it's been a couple months since I last posted here and I've had a lot of time to tune and play this deck. Right now, current stats are all pre-sideboard and it holds up but it's not breaking any records. These stats come from games played between myself and a buddy so many match ups we played several times.

Here's some stats:

RG Stuff vs. Doomsday 1 - 2
    RG Stuff vs. Burn 2 - 3 (both of my wins here came from Ruric)
    RG Stuff vs. UB Death's Shadow 2 - 0
    RG Stuff vs. Eldrazi 2 - 1
    RG Stuff vs. BR Reanimator 1 - 6
    RG Stuff vs. Death & Taxes 4 - 2
    RG Stuff vs. BUG Threshold 1 - 3
    RG Stuff vs. Hogaak 8 - 3 (we played this one a lot)

Here's the updated current list:

RG STUFF (60)

Creatures / Beatz: (15)

4x Elvish Reclaimer
    4x Orcish Lumberjack
    1x Dragonlord Atarka
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Thrashing Brontodon
    3x Titania, Protector of Argoth

Utility / Tutors: (20)

4x Crop Rotation
    4x Once Upon a Time
    4x Green Sun's Zenith
    4x Natural Order
    3x Exploration
    1x Sylvan Library

Land: (25)

1x Ancient Tomb
    2x Dark Depths
    2x Dryad Arbor
    2x Forest
    1x Maze of Ith
    4x Taiga
    3x Thespian's Stage
    2x Wasteland
    4x Windswept Heath
    4x Wooded Foothills

Sideboard (15)

1x Bojuka Bog
    1x Cavern of Souls
    1x Sejiri Steppe
    1x Kogla, the Titan Ape
    1x Maze of Ith
    2x Pithing Needle
    1x Progenitus
    1x Ramunap Excavator
    1x Sylvan Safekeeper
    4x Veil of Summer
    1x Xantid Swarm

BEST ADDITIONS:

Birds of Paradise vs. Exploration. I cut the Birds a while ago and have never looked back. The deck already has GSZ for Dryad Arbor. So a turn one Llanowar is not a problem. The red mana that we can get from the Birds is moot. There is already a ton of red sources and the deck really only splashes red anyway. Exploration is boss in this slot. Marit Lage can come out fast here. The downside is that it is a dead card late game.

Elvish Reclaimer. This guy is a house. A 3/4 for one mana really adds a lot of pressure to your opponent and his ability has assembled my Marit Lage combo in dozens of games and has also allowed me to sac lands just so I can crank out more 5/3s.

Ruric Thar, the Unbowed. This guy has won me several games. At first I was a little reluctant but I tested him and he literally has won me games in not only combo matchups but also against Burn and Death's Shadow. On a scale of 1 - 10 I'd give him a 8.

Thrashing Brontodon > Reclamation Sage. He's not a dead card if your opponent doesn't have any enchantments or artifacts and he's a better beater. I never had any matchups that I really need him except against Hogaak were I needed to keep my opponent of of his Altar of Dementia.

Sylvan Library. This is a no brainer with all the shuffling going on.

The MVP of the deck is Crop Rotation. I always want to see this card. Helps me assemble Marit Lage, grabs Ancient Tomb for ramp and nabs Maze of Ith in a pinch.

CARDS I TESTED BUT GOT THE AXE:

Sylvan Safekeeper seems like an obvious fit but I never felt like I wanted to tutor her up and in the dozens of games I've played I've always been disappointed to draw her. I think I only used her ability once and that was when I was already winning.

Ramunap Excavator. This guy was just seriously underwhelming. I liked him more than Safekeeper but I never really abused his ability.

Bonecrusher Giant. You can't tutor him with GSZ and again very underwhelming with this strategy.

MORE CARDS I TOYED WITH BUT DON'T RECOMMEND:
    Need for Speed
    Azusa, Lost but Seeking
    Ore-Scale Guardian (this guy was actually not too shabby)
    Terravore
    Raze

CONCLUSION:
    In conclusion the deck is a riot to play but I feel like it can be a bit too reliant on Orcish Lumberjack. He always got bolted in the Burn match ups or countered or Stifled against Threshold. When he sticks around though the game can end quick. Lots of the games I won were just plain straight aggro beats with Elvish Reclaimer and Ruric while the rest were Titania (when Lumberjack stuck around) and Marit Lage was my champ.

Sep 2011

Interesting results.

Looks like your best matches are fair decks and decks that struggle to answer turn 1 Lumberjack, while your worst matches are combo (expected for a beatdown strategy) and Threshold (too many answers for Lumberjack and NO?).

I'm surprised you beat Hogaak so much but lost to Reanimator so badly. I guess your grave hate plan (Bog) is a bit too slow for Reanimator and too easy for them to recover from (stops 1 fatty), while it can really wreck Hogaak (depends on filling a big GY).

I'm also surprised you did so well against D&T. I would expect them to be very strong at answering Marit Lage and ramp fatties. How did you win those games?

Reanimator was too fast for me. Hogaak is a slower deck and almost always I either out raced it or got my Ooze online early. None of the games I played however did we use sideboards. It was essentially to test the deck as it is. Sideboard I'm sure would really help in the Reanimator match ups. Your right though, the fair match ups were usually in my favor with the exception of BUG Threshold. Stifle literally tore me apart over and over, especially against Lumberjack. Also Daze and FoW on my NO was not very nice. We did play more Eldrazi matches but I don't know where I put my record keeping on that one (it was over a week ago). I was smashing Eldrazi though for the most part from what I remember.

FTW, thanks for the comment! Any suggestions to make it better? I'm considering cutting Lumberjack altogether and maybe a different ramp plan.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    I'm also surprised you did so well against D&T. I would expect them to be very strong at answering Marit Lage and ramp fatties. How did you win those games?
    My Marit Lage got flickered in one game from the Wisp, and then bounced in another with Karakas. What won those games though were that my creatures were bigger and they came out faster. My opponent also couldn't keep me off my mana, Lumberjack actually shined here and he never got STPed.

I have been happy with this new list :

hogaak adds a lot specially against tempoish decks

// 60 Maindeck
    // 25 Creature
    2 Dryad Arbor
    4 Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis
    4 Satyr Wayfinder
    4 Orcish Lumberjack
    4 Titania, Protector of Argoth
    3 Tinder Wall
    4 Sylvan Safekeeper

// 10 Instant
    3 Once Upon a Time
    4 Pyroblast
    3 Crop Rotation

// 18 Land
    4 Wooded Foothills
    3 Windswept Heath
    3 Forest
    4 Taiga
    3 Thespian's Stage
    1 Dark Depths

// 7 Sorcery
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Natural Order

// 15 Sideboard
    // 6 Creature
    SB: 2 Collector Ouphe
    SB: 2 Reclamation Sage
    SB: 1 Progenitus
    SB: 1 Elvish Reclaimer

// 3 Enchantment
    SB: 3 Leyline of the Void

// 4 Instant
    SB: 2 Force of Vigor
    SB: 2 Mindbreak Trap

// 2 Land
    SB: 1 Karakas
    SB: 1 Bojuka Bog

EDIT : changed the side
    Last edited by adrieng; 07-08-2020 at 05:58 AM.

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by adrieng View Post
    I have been happy with this new list :
    hogaak adds a lot specially against tempoish decks

4 Pyroblast
    3 Crop Rotation
    3 Once Upon a Time
    i like your list enough to make it, but > question: pyroblast is better than veil of summer?

Quote Originally Posted by non-inflammable View Post
    i like your list enough to make it, but > question: pyroblast is better than veil of summer?
    It does handle Oko, which is something. It also works better against other blue threats as well.

Yeah pyroblast is better against delver, against oko, against show and tell ; better than veil of summer overall.
    It is also better than reb because of hogaak (1 more card in grave against non blue decks)

Played two leagues went twice 3-2

league 1 beat storm twice and maverick, lost to merfolk he comboed twice with thassas oracle and gob too much card to kills ours 1/1

second league 2 beat snowko and temur delver twice lost to lands any idea for this matchup to improve it ? and turbodepth didnt draw my crops and he got me turn 2 token twice

third league 4-1 beat bw confidant, rg lands, temur delver, tes, was 4-0 then lost to ur delver

4th league 2-3 lost to painter miracle and eons of echo artifact beat eldrazi white and standstill
    Last edited by adrieng; 07-08-2020 at 10:46 AM.

test list which was bad

// 60 Maindeck
    // 30 Creature
    2 Dryad Arbor
    4 Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis
    4 Satyr Wayfinder
    4 Orcish Lumberjack
    4 Sylvan Safekeeper
    4 Vengevine
    4 Hexdrinker
    4 Elvish Reclaimer

// 7 Instant
    3 Once Upon a Time
    4 Lightning Bolt

// 16 Land
    4 Wooded Foothills
    3 Windswept Heath
    4 Taiga
    3 Forest
    2 Copperline Gorge

// 7 Sorcery
    4 Faithless Looting
    3 Green Sun's Zenith

// 15 Sideboard
    // 4 Creature
    SB: 2 Collector Ouphe
    SB: 2 Reclamation Sage

// 4 Enchantment
    SB: 4 Leyline of the Void

// 4 Instant
    SB: 2 Mindbreak Trap
    SB: 2 Ancient Grudge

// 3 Land
    SB: 1 Bojuka Bog
    SB: 1 Ghost Quarter
    SB: 1 Karakas

EDIT : Played a league went 1-4 deck is bad ...
    Last edited by adrieng; 07-28-2020 at 06:47 AM.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

looks great. i would consider making maindeck room for the ouphe since you already have gsz and ouat. can you explain to me why there's 4 safekeeper?

thanks as i don't have any testing with your list.
    -rob

Thread Information