Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: RGStuff By the creator of bigdrazi and dark depth

Re: RGStuff By the creator of bigdrazi and dark depth

safekeeper +hoogak is game over if early vs temur because it protects hoogak from oko,

safekeeper helps triggering vengevine and good for hogaak to harcast it, it protects your creatures from removals (swords karakas etc...)

it is really a good creature to have as a 4 off.

I don't like ouphe main it is mainly for storm so G1 you have to prey to have a fast kill, also I might made room for bog main.

My main issues with the deck is miracle with multiple terminus with mystic sanctuary, lands, turbo depth and ensnaring bridge is auto scoop G1.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

thanks for the feedback. i think it does make sense to go with bog maindeck. i know newton really uses it pretty heavily in reclaimer elves maindeck these days.
    -rob

run a league went 1-4 the reclaimers bolt and hexdrinker (lost to death and taxes infect, ubw vial with strix peacekeeper soul herder,burn beat omnishow) doesnt do enough will try a list with vv and titania

Maybe something like that :

basically -4 pyroblast +4 looting -Natural order + vengevine

EDIT : it seems vengevine doesn't do enough

// 60 Maindeck
    // 30 Creature
    2 Dryad Arbor
    4 Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis
    4 Satyr Wayfinder
    4 Orcish Lumberjack
    4 Sylvan Safekeeper
    4 Vengevine
    4 Titania, Protector of Argoth
    4 Tinder Wall

// 7 Instant
    3 Once Upon a Time
    4 Crop Rotation

// 16 Land
    4 Wooded Foothills
    3 Windswept Heath
    4 Taiga
    3 Forest
    2 Copperline Gorge

// 7 Sorcery
    4 Faithless Looting
    3 Green Sun's Zenith

// 15 Sideboard
    // 4 Creature
    SB: 2 Collector Ouphe
    SB: 2 Reclamation Sage

// 4 Enchantment
    SB: 4 Leyline of the Void

// 4 Instant
    SB: 2 Mindbreak Trap
    SB: 2 Ancient Grudge

// 3 Land
    SB: 1 Bojuka Bog
    SB: 1 Ghost Quarter
    SB: 1 Karakas

Last edited by adrieng; 07-29-2020 at 07:27 AM.

Sep 2011

Yeah I think you need the payoff of Titania for Lumberjack to be worth it. Vengevine alone isn't enough, b/c it's already easy to cheat them out without mana ramp.

What are you losing to? Maybe you just need more ways to interact with unfair decks, like Crop Rotation into Karakas and Bog.

I updated the deck with the oko ban no need for pyroblast main

I have been testing this list and it works quite well !!

// 60 Maindeck
    // 29 Creature
    2 Dryad Arbor
    4 Orcish Lumberjack
    4 Satyr Wayfinder
    4 Sylvan Safekeeper
    1 Collector Ouphe
    2 Tinder Wall
    4 Bonecrusher Giant // Stomp

// 8 Instant
    4 Once Upon a Time
    4 Lightning Bolt

// 16 Land
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Taiga
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Forest

// 7 Sorcery
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Natural Order

// 15 Sideboard
    // 5 Creature
    SB: 2 Collector Ouphe
    SB: 1 Klothys, God of Destiny

// 7 Enchantment
    SB: 4 Leyline of the Void
    SB: 3 Choke

EDIT : latest list

i cut natural order for abundant harvest kind off green cantrip, order is too risky when it gets fow it still 3 for 2 vs 2 for 2 for land+titania ; harvest smooths the deck
    and makes you less vulnerable to wasteland.

side i cut choke for surgical which are also good against control decks but also graveyards decks.

// 60 Maindeck
    // 28 Creature
    2 Dryad Arbor
    4 Orcish Lumberjack
    4 Satyr Wayfinder
    4 Sylvan Safekeeper
    1 Tinder Wall
    4 Bonecrusher Giant // Stomp
    1 Klothys, God of Destiny

// 8 Instant
    4 Once Upon a Time
    4 Lightning Bolt

// 16 Land
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Taiga
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Forest

// 8 Sorcery
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Abundant Harvest

// 15 Sideboard
    // 5 Creature
    SB: 3 Collector Ouphe

// 3 Enchantment
    SB: 3 Leyline of the Void
    // 7 Instant
    SB: 3 Ancient Grudge
    SB: 4 Surgical Extraction
    // 3 Instant
    SB: 3 Ancient Grudge

Last edited by adrieng; 05-23-2021 at 07:34 AM.

Adrieng, you've created a monster. This is one of my favorite decks!

I'm still running my variant of the old build. I haven't tested the Hogaak build yet, but I'm very interested.

I literally have this deck in paper and it is a riot to play! It's sort of a gatekeeper though. It runs away with wins all of the time due to the redundant amount of win options (aggro beats, combo wins w/ Marit Lage and Titania combo), but it loses to counter magic.

What I've noticed is that when cards like Crop Rotation, Orcish Lumberjack and Natural Order get countered (or whatever you cast off Lumberjack) you lose two cards and it's hard to recover. Again, this deck just steals games, but it's a gatekeeper deck. In my humble opinion though, this is probably one of, if not, my favorite decks to play. And I've played it at least 100 times. I've actually tested it against the entire gauntlet with decent results.

TAIGA BEAT: 60 cards

Beatz: (18)
    4x Titania, Protector of Argoth
    4x Orcish Lumberjack
    3x Elvish Reclaimer
    2x Bonecrusher Giant
    1x Collector Ouphe
    1x Kogla, the Titan Ape
    1x Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Thrashing Brontodon

Utility / Search / Combo: (16)
    4x Crop Rotation
    4x Once Upon a Time
    4x Green Sun's Zenith
    3x Natural Order
    1x Sylvan Library

Reset: (1)
    1x Jokulhaups

Land: (25)
    1x Ancient Tomb
    2x Dark Depths
    2x Dryad Arbor
    2x Forest
    1x Maze of Ith
    4x Taiga
    3x Thespian's Stage
    2x Wasteland
    4x Windswept Heath
    4x Wooded Foothills

Sideboard: (15)
    1x Bojuka Bog
    1x Cavern of Souls
    1x Dragonlord Atarka
    4x Lovestruck Beast
    1x Maze of Ith
    2x Pithing Needle
    1x Progenitus
    3x Pyrostatic Pillar
    1x Xantid Swarm

I will, at some point, get around to testing the Hogaak build. It is hard to break away from this though. It's just so damn fun!

EDIT: spelling / grammar
    "WaaaauuugghhhaaaauuugghhhaauuugghhhaaauuugghhhW" -Chewbacca

Thought I'd show off my paper build of this. I've been playing it a ton, tested a lot of cards, scrapped a lot of cards etc.. I've beat up a bunch of decks with this list. I haven't been keeping track of games though. It goes toe to toe with Bant control. Out races Hogaack and a lot of Vial decks. I don't know how it holds up against Ragavan Delver because I don't have that proxied up. Waiting to see what gets banned and how the meta changes.

I'd like to see another Pyroclasm in the sideboard. Most of my creatures are unaffected by it. Karakas should probably be in there somewhere too.

Beatz: (21)
    4x Orcish Lumberjack
    4x Elvish Reclaimer
    1x Klothys, God of Destiny
    1x Kogla, the Titan Ape
    1x Kalonian Hydra
    1x Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Thrashing Brontodon
    1x Hexdrinker
    1x Questing Beast
    1x Ramunap Excavator

Utility / Search / Combo: (15)
    4x Crop Rotation
    4x Once Upon a Time
    4x Green Sun's Zenith
    2x Natural Order
    1x Sylvan Library

Land: (24)
    2x Ancient Tomb
    1x Dark Depths
    2x Thespian's Stage
    1x Sejiri Steppe
    2x Dryad Arbor
    1x Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth
    1x Forest
    4x Taiga
    2x Wasteland
    4x Windswept Heath
    4x Wooded Foothills

Sideboard: (15)
    1x Bojuka Bog
    1x Carpet of Flowers
    3x Red Elemental Blast
    3x Choke
    1x Pyroclasm
    1x Maze of Ith
    1x Hull Breach
    1x Ancient Grudge
    2x Pyrostatic Pillar
    1x Collector Ouphe

Sep 2011

Nice deck. I personally prefer that Lumberjack-Titania Reclaimer-Depths version to the Hogaak version too.

If it's mainly losing to blue decks countering business, how good is Allosaurus Shepherd in the board? Underrated (outside Elves) GSZ-able creature that makes your business spells uncounterable (Titania, NO, GSZ, Crop Rot). Worst case it's an un-Dazeable 1-drop that trades with Ragavan.

Agree with Karakas somewhere in the 75. Good vs Ragavan, Uro, GW Depths, Grief Reanimator.... there's a good % of the last Legacy Challenge Top 32 already.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Nice deck. I personally prefer that Lumberjack-Titania Reclaimer-Depths version to the Hogaak version too.

If it's mainly losing to blue decks countering business, how good is Allosaurus Shepherd in the board? Underrated (outside Elves) GSZ-able creature that makes your business spells uncounterable (Titania, NO, GSZ, Crop Rot). Worst case it's an un-Dazeable 1-drop that trades with Ragavan.

Agree with Karakas somewhere in the 75. Good vs Ragavan, Uro, GW Depths, Grief Reanimator.... there's a good % of the last Legacy Challenge Top 32 already.
    Good call! I saw you mention Allosaurus in Bag of Rocks thread. I think it's good enough to be main deck. The flex slot here is Kalonian Hydra. I've already got a tight suite of big beaters. For a 5 drop I will always want to cast Titania before Hydra anyway. I think Allosaurus would fit perfect here. I had a bunch of other cards in that slot including Centaur Vinecrasher, Terravore, Ignoble Hierarch and Sylvan Safekeeper.

Safekeeper seems like a no brainer, but honestly after testing it I realized I never used her ability and eventually went with Sejiri Steppe for protection. Maybe I'll re-test Safekeeper at another stage.

Allosaurus seems to fit the bill much better. Especially since so many of the cards like NO and Crop Rotation really suck when they get countered. Allosaurus can also be "snuck" into play with GSZ. Once it hits the table those cards are so much better against control. Plus I am running 4x Elvish Reclaimer, so her secondary ability isn't dead at all.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Sideboard, I'm thinking of the following changes:

-3x REB
    -1x Choke
    -1x Ancient Grudge
    -1x Maze of Ith

+2x Pyroclasm
    +1x Pyrostatic Pillar
    +1x Carpet of Flowers
    +1x Karakas
    +1x Hull Breach

New Sideboard:
    3x Pyrostatic Pillar
    3x Pyroclasm
    2x Carpet of Flowers
    2x Choke
    2x Hull Breach
    1x Bojuka Bog
    1x Karakas
    1x Collector Ouphe

Less focus on blue control hate (you can only side out so many cards), more focus on shutting off blue control mana (Choke) and gaining mana (Carpet), more focus on combo hate (Pyrostatic Pillar), more sweepers (Pyroclasm), Karakas over Maze of Ith and 2x Hull Breach instead of 1x Hull Breach and 1x Ancient Grudge.

Haven't posted on this thread in over a year.

I updated my old deck list and smashed Maverick, Lands and Painter today. The new build is explosive!! It's so much faster. Out are the slow late game silver bullets such as Scavenging Ooze, Ramunap, Thrashing Brontodon. In is Minsc & Boo! M&B add so much consistency and are so easy to cast second turn! The deck needed something really good to do with 4+ mana when Titania combo and/or Dark Depths were not available.

Not sure why I wasn't running Endurance. It is so good here.

It is a combo aggro deck through and through. Get 20 power turn 2 with Titania and 3 Tokens (this happens most of the games), 20 power turn 3 with Marit Lage or just smash your opponent with fast aggro creatures such as Minsc & Boo, Elvish Reclaimer etc..

Gonna play it next week in a small tournament. Not sure how it holds up to Initiative or U/R Delver so I guess we shall see. I'll post the results.

IMO, Minsc & Boo made this deck good.

TAIGA BEAT: 60

BEATZ & BULLETS: 21
    4x Minsc & Boo, Timeless Heroes
    4x Elvish Reclaimer
    4x Orcish Lumberjack
    2x Endurance
    1x Kogla, the Titan Ape
    1x Collector Ouphe
    1x Allosaurus Shepherd

TUTORS: 14
    4x Once Upon a Time
    4x Green Sun's Zenith
    4x Crop Rotation
    2x Natural Order

LANDS: 25
    1x Dark Depths
    3x Thespian's Stage
    2x Ancient Tomb
    2x Dryad Arbor
    2x Forest
    4x Taiga
    2x Wasteland
    4x Windswept Heath
    4x Wooded Foothills

Goldfish here: https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/taig...?cb=1676009632

Sep 2011

M&B is a big boost for you.

What's in your SB? I would consider more copies of Endurance, Force of Vigor, a couple Torpor Orbs (for Initiative decks & Thassa decks), maybe even Unchained Berserker (if White Initiative is very common), maybe Carpet of Flowers (vs blue tempo), and Maddening Hex (storm).

Meltdown and Pyroblast are options too.

I haven't updated the sideboard from my old post but was thinking Cankerbloom for sure.

Force of Vigor and Torpor Orb seems really good. Probably cut Hull Breach.

Maybe something like this:

3x Pyrostatic Pillar / Maddening Hex
    4x Torpor Orb
    2x Carpet of Flowers
    2x Choke
    2x Force of Vigor
    1x Cankerbloom
    1x Endurance

Is Maddening Hex better than Pyrostatic Pillar?

EDIT: Unchained Berserker seems good! What to cut for it though.

Does anyone think Initiative will get neutered?

Sep 2011

Until they make the announcement, I would plan for the current meta, which means Initiative is still Tier 0 with Delver.

Initiative normally preys on fair creature decks like this, so Torpor Orbs should help. You already have a much higher creature count than Delver so tough to say if Unchained Berserker is necessary. It would cost a lot of SB space. See how the deck tests.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Until they make the announcement, I would plan for the current meta, which means Initiative is still Tier 0 with Delver.

Initiative normally preys on fair creature decks like this, so Torpor Orbs should help. You already have a much higher creature count than Delver so tough to say if Unchained Berserker is necessary. It would cost a lot of SB space. See how the deck tests.
    Good advice!

I made some main deck changes, and I think for the better.

I cut Kogla, the Titan Ape for Craterhoof Behemoth. This helped me win several matches instantly when I was play testing yesterday and makes Natural Order that much better by adding another semi auto / combo win.

Win Cons:
    Titania, Protector of Argoth combo.
    Dark Depths combo.
    Craterhoof Behemoth combo.
    And straight up aggro beat down with Minsc & Boo and friends.

I also moved Sejiri Steppe from the main deck to the side. Most cases I never needed it. Crop Rotations are mostly for ramp by grabbing Ancient Tomb, putting lands in the yard to boost Elvish Reclaimers and for the turn two "20 power Titania combo" which is:

Turn Two:
    Play second land, and tap both, sac one to Lumberjack, cast Titania, return a fetchland from the yard to play, crack it creating a 5/3, search for Taiga and put it into play, tap it for Crop Rotation sacking it thus creating another 5/3, fetching Wasteland which you crack to destroy opponents land, putting it into the yard thus creating another 5/3.

That's four 5/3 creatures on turn two plus opponent lost a land. It gets out of hand pretty fast and is probably the most common win with this deck besides just simple aggro beats.

Seems like there should be a green creature like Hushwing Gryff with a Torpor Orb effect for the sideboard. Is there nothing like this?

I played this last night at my LGS and it did pretty dang well. Here's what I was playing:

//TAIGA BEAT: 60

//BEATZ & BULLETS: 21
    4x Minsc & Boo, Timeless Heroes
    4x Elvish Reclaimer
    4x Orcish Lumberjack
    2x Endurance
    1x Craterhoof Behemoth
    1x Collector Ouphe
    1x Allosaurus Shepherd

//TUTORS: 15
    4x Once Upon a Time
    4x Green Sun's Zenith
    4x Crop Rotation
    3x Natural Order

//LANDS: 24
    1x Dark Depths
    3x Thespian's Stage
    2x Ancient Tomb
    2x Dryad Arbor
    1x Forest
    4x Taiga
    2x Wasteland
    4x Windswept Heath
    4x Wooded Foothills

//SIDEBOARD: 15
    3x Pyrostatic Pillar
    3x Lightning Bolt
    2x Red Elemental Blast
    2x Choke
    1x Endurance
    1x Cankerbloom
    1x Bojuka Bog
    1x Karakas
    1x Maze of Ith

Game One: 2-0 Burn

Match one my opponent kept a bad hand and I slapped him with turn four Marit Lage. Had he decided to burn my Lumberjack instead of me he might have been able to buy himself another turn or two.

Match two he burned me down to 4 life but he was a turn short as I finished him off with a Craterhoof that I hard cast off of two Orcish Lumberjacks.

Game Two: 2-1 Doomsday

Match one he managed to go off really fast. I think it was a turn one Doomsday followed by a turn two Thassa's Oracle.

Match two I sided in a pair of REBs, an Endurance and a couple of Pyrostatic Pillars. Turn two he powered out an Opposition Agent with a Dark Ritual in response to a fetch which scared the hell out of me but I managed to work around it and beat him down with 5/3 dudes.

Match three I kept the same sideboard. I was afraid of Op Agent but he never cast one. He did Thoughtseize me turn one and took my Crop Rotation but but he left me with an REB and Pyrostaic Pillar which I thought was strange. I kept one mana open for REB the rest of the game hoping to counter Thassa's Oracle if he attempted to cast it but he later said he had a Cavern of Souls and that's why he went for the Crop. I then cast a Pyrostatic Pillar (which I think hurt me more than him), but I finished him with Titania and a 5/3.

Game Three: Draw 1-1 Reanimator

Match one I went first and my opponent mulligan-ed down to five cards but he powered out a turn one Entomb / Animate Dead on Griselbrand, then drew seven, dropped a Lotus Petal and I think another Dark Ritual for another Entomb Animate Dead but this time on Atraxa. Can't remember what I did following that but it wasn't much, dropped some more weenies such as Lumberjacks and Reclaimers. His turn two he slapped me for 12 with life link bringing his life up to 24 and then he powered out an Archon of Cruelty. I was hoping to top deck a Natural Order the following turn which I would have grabbed Craterhoof for the win but it was a land (yes I did have enough to swing for 24 and win), however all I top decked was a land. I died the next turn.

Match two I sided in Bojuka Bog, another Endurance and a Karakas. I kept a sub par hand because I had an Endurance, however there was no win con. I went first setting up my mana base. Turn two he attempted to go off with Entomb + Animate and I responded with Endurance setting him back big time. I then top decked a Minsc & Boo which smashed him over the next couple of turns for the win.

Match three. There was no match three. The time ran out at the end of match two so we agreed to share a draw however I think I would have won game three easily. With 4 Crops, one Bojuka Bog and 3 Endurance in the deck he would have had a hard time getting anything to stay in the yard long enough to reanimate.

After thoughts:
    Allosaurus Shepherd and Ouphe always got sided out. I think I still want to keep them in though for the MTG Top 8 decks. Allosaurus is great against both Delver and Chalice in Gruul Initiative. Ouphe is great against Painter and 8-Cast.

It was a small tournament, only 8 players, but over all I was happy with the result and had a lot of fun. I missed the last tournament and there was 17 players so hopefully next time we can get those numbers back up.

I'm mostly happy with the main deck. My only gripe is that I'm thinking either I'm running one too many GSZ or at least need another good face-smashing target to grab with it. Most of the time I was grabbing Dryad Arbor.

The sideboard I think can use some help. Any suggestions??? Not sold on Pillars. Should Bolts be Abrades?? Cut Maze of Ith?
    Last edited by Laser Brains; 12-11-2023 at 03:06 AM.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Do you like Cankerbloom better than Outland Liberator?
    Quote Originally Posted by danpo View Post
    At minimum I'd say it outclasses Beetleback Chief.

Thread Information