Thread: GW Turbo Legends

GW Turbo Legends

This is my pet deck. I played it to the top 4 of a 19 man tournament and made a sweet 100 smackers over the weekend.

Attacks people from multiple angles. Try to Crucible lock them out of the game with Excavator, Chalice lock people, or just hope they run out of removal and kill them with mini baneslayer angel. Karakas makes most of your team unkillable.

3 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Thalia, Heretical Cathar
    3 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Tireless Tracker
    1 Vryn's wingmare
    3 Gisela, the Broken Blade
    2 Shalai, Voice of Plenty
    3 Palace Jailer

1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    4 Chalice of the void
    4 Mox Diamond
    1 Lotus Petal

3 Karakas
    3 Savannah
    3 Plains
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wasteland
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Gemstone Caverns

2 Rest In Peace
    1 Ground Seal
    1 Magus of the Tabernacle
    1 Holy Light
    1 Vryn's Wigmare
    2 Oblivion Ring
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Celestial Purge
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    2 Choke

Re: GW Turbo Legends

Saw this baby in action and it was sweet.

Sep 2010
    Richmond, VA

I pulled this together last night on MTGO and went 4-1 in first league I played despite some new-to-deck play errors. I’m normally a Junk Maverick player and this has a lot of what I like but some more high end finishers. Having chalice is also nice. I’ll probably make a few marginal tweaks after giving it a sufficient test drive but seems very promising so far. Thanks for sharing.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Not a troll question but how do you beat DnT and their Karakas? Or opposing Karakas in general?

12of your creatures become huge tempo sinks if bounced.

I do like it though!
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Nice, it's like solider stompy minus the terrible soldiers. I like it.

Sep 2010
    Richmond, VA

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    Not a troll question but how do you beat DnT and their Karakas? Or opposing Karakas in general?

I do like it though!
    Wasteland recursion worked pretty well at that. I did feel like I wanted a couple knights to help that get started though. Probably will trim a big Thalia and maybe another legend or two to make room to make it more consistently able to dig those out.

And like the other poster said it really did feel like soldier stompy with less shitty filler cards. Or maverick with beefier dudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hook76 View Post
    Wasteland recursion worked pretty well at that. I did feel like I wanted a couple knights to help that get started though. Probably will trim a big Thalia and maybe another legend or two to make room to make it more consistently able to dig those out.

And like the other poster said it really did feel like soldier stompy with less shitty filler cards. Or maverick with beefier dudes.

Glad it worked out for you. I am in no way claiming this deck is perfect or remotely turned. I don't have MTGO and my local week night game shop went out of business so I don't get to test anymore really. Knight is always a stud but I just wanted a deck that works well with Sol Lands and have cards with double colorless in the casting cost.

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post

I do like it though!
    If I expected to play against DnT I'd probably run some walking ballistas, mauls them.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by beebles View Post
    Glad it worked out for you. I am in no way claiming this deck is perfect or remotely turned. I don't have MTGO and my local week night game shop went out of business so I don't get to test anymore really. Knight is always a stud but I just wanted a deck that works well with Sol Lands and have cards with double colorless in the casting cost.
    it's probably bad, but sungrass prairie lets you cast a knight off of it = a sol land
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Hey,

Nice idea - looks like nice hybrid. I have some experience in those kind of decks (Thalia Stompy, GW Maverick, Sylvan Plug) and have questions:

How you deal with turn 1 Delver on draw (Thalia Stompy had similar problem) - deck looks very soft in removal, does you thing to add some removal in sort of Blessed Alliance or similar ?

How you deal with Dark Depths Combo - mostly in lands shell - Karakas is soft temporary solution, Celestial Purge is only singleton and quite narrow.

Does Gemstone Caverns and Ghost Quarter really have it's place ? - I had problems with more colored sources in mono W Stompy, you have multiple restrictive cost with double white and 13 colorless sources.

To SFM package I strongly recommend Batterskull, running Sol Lands cost a lot of life, Skull is also great mana sink, it will also trigger removal on SFM instead of for example Gisela which is not cost effective vs red-base removal (via Bolt). To have option with Karakas you need 4 mana additional mana on table, this mean 4th turn not counting opponents wastelands or permission and that you draw Sol Land.

There is a lot of time when Excavator do nothing (specially with such low fetch count), did you try 2/2 Split with Tracker - not a best bet vs decks which are waste-proof but probably better beater with CA option.

How works for you cards like:
    Magus of the Tabernacle,
    Oblivion Ring
    Rest In Peace
    Vryn's Wingmare

Did you think about Sylvan Library and Knight of the Reliquary to fit in (for example instead Gisela, argument with Sol Land isn't enough - you also run moxes)?

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    Hey,

Nice idea - looks like nice hybrid. I have some experience in those kind of decks (Thalia Stompy, GW Maverick, Sylvan Plug) and have questions:

How you deal with turn 1 Delver on draw (Thalia Stompy had similar problem) - deck looks very soft in removal, does you thing to add some removal in sort of Blessed Alliance or similar ?

How you deal with Dark Depths Combo - mostly in lands shell - Karakas is soft temporary solution, Celestial Purge is only singleton and quite narrow.

Does Gemstone Caverns and Ghost Quarter really have it's place ? - I had problems with more colored sources in mono W Stompy, you have multiple restrictive cost with double white and 13 colorless sources.

To SFM package I strongly recommend Batterskull, running Sol Lands cost a lot of life, Skull is also great mana sink, it will also trigger removal on SFM instead of for example Gisela which is not cost effective vs red-base removal (via Bolt). To have option with Karakas you need 4 mana additional mana on table, this mean 4th turn not counting opponents wastelands or permission and that you draw Sol Land.

There is a lot of time when Excavator do nothing (specially with such low fetch count), did you try 2/2 Split with Tracker - not a best bet vs decks which are waste-proof but probably better beater with CA option.

How works for you cards like:
    Magus of the Tabernacle,
    Oblivion Ring
    Rest In Peace
    Vryn's Wingmare

Did you think about Sylvan Library and Knight of the Reliquary to fit in (for example instead Gisela, argument with Sol Land isn't enough - you also run moxes)?

Um against turn 1 delver you need to get out a flier or equip an equipment and/or die. Or just get out a jailer.

Against lands, Chalice on the draw is brutal turns off 12-14 cards (4 crop, 4 exploration, 4 gamble 0-2 Vortex)

You also have Big Thalia turn massively stunt their development and obviously the 5 wastelands Karakases and excavator to keep them off their game. Clearly you are not gonna win the long game so you gotta close it out fast.

Soo about batterskull we are living in the golden age of both baleful strix and Kologan's command. Batterskull is terrible against both. I wanted to put a lot of first strikers in here to punch through the robot owls. Gisela looks silly if it gets bolted BUT you do have chalice, Shalai and Karakas all of which can protect it.

Plus there are ten million other "must bolt" targets like thalia, Rumanap etc so sometimes you gotta let the shock troops act as cannon fodder to deplete the removal.

The Magus is sick, did major work in beating Elves and Alluren for me. O ring won me a game against Omni sneak. Vryn is meh. Rip does what Rip does. I run 1 Ground seal in case I am up against a deck with like DRS and Snapcaster but otherwise does not use the graveyard. In those match ups Ground Seal is better since it lets you keep your Crucible lock game going.

Sep 2010
    Richmond, VA

On lands I’ve found chalice on two to be especially strong. Shuts off their big card advantage sources with loam and PF so you pretty much just need to keep up a wasteland from there. It’s super easy after that.

Storm has also been super easy to play against now. Kind of like dredge matchup when I play maverick where you feel pre-sideboarded in game one. Unlike maverick, which is too slow to lay out the relevant hatebears on the draw, you can drop a chalice or Thalia in time.

Storm and lands both feel really really easy so far. Decks that go bigger have been harder though - eldrazi and nic fit were rough since the clock here isn’t fast enough. Will probably tinker with sideboard to address that some.

Thread Information