Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: [M19] M19 Spoilers

Re: [M19] M19 Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I still like the Buy-a-Box Surgical Extraction
    Surgical was a card printed in the set though, this one is only available as the buy-a-box and nowhere else

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

I'm having trouble understanding the hate for Vivien Reid. It's pretty clearly a card that -could- fit in VetEx, Elves, maybe Maverick. She does things that Nissa can't do, like shooting problem permanents (some of which are creatures), digs for cards, and her ult can end the game in some cases.

Don't get me wrong, I get that Nissa is more powerful in certain contexts. But looking at a metagame filled with problem permanents (Chalice, Bridge, etc) maybe this shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

The other problem with Nexus of Fate being legal in standard is that it should be legal in the same format as the Blue Gearhulk, which means for six mana you get a 5/6 critter AND a time walk.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    The other problem with Nexus of Fate being legal in standard is that it should be legal in the same format as the Blue Gearhulk, which means for six mana you get a 5/6 critter AND a time walk.
    It never hits the graveyard, as it gets shuffled back asap. Replacement effect and all that jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    It never hits the graveyard, as it gets shuffled back asap. Replacement effect and all that jazz.
    D'oh.

RTFC.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Bithlord View Post
    Not really relevant for legacy, but pacifism and bonespliter are both amazing in limited.
    Totally agree...just another example of how wizards is 'fixing' cards in the new era of Standard. Overall power level is significantly lower when you add mana to effects like this. At least with Arrest you were able to shut off activated abilities.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Totally agree...just another example of how wizards is 'fixing' cards in the new era of Standard. Overall power level is significantly lower when you add mana to effects like this. At least with Arrest you were able to shut off activated abilities.
    Sure. New World Order has completley crippled the potential for new cards, and especially for budget cards. WotC has made a concerted effort to make *all* tournament staples be rare or better, and it shows.

Remember Odyssey Block, when basically the entirety of the best deck - Madness - was commons?

May 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa, USA

Remember Odyssey Block, when basically the entirety of the best deck - Madness - was commons?
    I have been around for all of the blocks. Without question or hesitation, Odyssey was my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Bithlord View Post
    Sure. New World Order has completley crippled the potential for new cards, and especially for budget cards. WotC has made a concerted effort to make *all* tournament staples be rare or better, and it shows.
    e.g. those banned rares Attune / Refiner / Ramunap Ruins, or multi-format staple rares Fatal Push, Abrade...

Pacifism wouldn't be playable in standard anyway, I can't believe people in this thread are getting upset over the choice of common limited fillers

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    It's a reprint lul

Edit: I'm not willing to call the buyabox card 'very strong' at this stage but the fact that it's constructed playable at all is a concern (unlike the RW Minotaur Legend)
    WotC has insisted that the PW deck cards and Buyabox Cards and Chinese Duel Deck cards will all be useless in constructed but they have clearly demonstrated that they aren't the best judge of this metric with the swath of recent standard bans.
    I'm not overly disappointed in the bans themselves because I appreciate there are inherent risks when trying to make interesting and powerful cards, I just wish they would realise that they are far from perfect in this regard and therefore shouldn't try to release 'weak' cards through such limited channels
    My question is why, if they want to make there be promos to make people buy boxes, they don't just have them be cool versions of other cards that are in demand. That way there's still incentive to buy those boxes to get the promos but it doesn't annoy everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    e.g. those banned rares Attune / Refiner / Ramunap Ruins, or multi-format staple rares Fatal Push, Abrade...

Pacifism wouldn't be playable in standard anyway, I can't believe people in this thread are getting upset over the choice of common limited fillers
    Yeah, it's silly to claim that they make sure that "all" tournament staples are rares. That said, it does seem like they've increased the percentage of cards in competitive decks that are rares or mythics. While it is necessary for decks to have rares and mythics (gotta have those chase rares), there should be a better balance. Let's take a look at RB Aggro. The first number is maindeck, the second number is maindeck plus sideboard:
    http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=19359&d=323136&f=ST
    Mythic: 8 (9)
    Rare: 30 (36)
    Uncommon: 8 (13)
    Common: 1 (3)
    Basic land: 13 (14)

That's the numbers for what's the top deck in Standard (well, that or Mono-Red, which is a little better in the rarity distribution, but most of that is simply it not running dual lands).

I think a good mixture of rares and non-rares could be found in UW Delver. Let's take a look at that deck towards the end of its legality in Standard:
    http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=2765&d=217890&f=ST

Mythic: 4 (5)
    Rare: 20 (22)
    Uncommon: 3 (12)
    Common: 24 (27)
    Basic land: 9 (9)

There's a good number of rares, but not so many that they outnumber the common, uncommon, and basic land cards combined. And there are mythics (Geist was a staple of the deck and it was common to play a Sword or two, either maindeck or in the sideboard), there aren't as many. I think that's the rarity mixture that's ideal for tournament decks: A good number of rares, a few mythics, but still plenty of commons and uncommons. Well, okay, the "ideal" from my perspective would be nothing but commons and uncommons but that's not tenable so I hold up the rarity distribution of UW Delver as a good middle ground.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Gone are the days of Force of Will at Uncommon.
    Gone are the days of Wasteland at Uncommon.
    Gone are the days of Sensei's Divining Top at Uncommon.
    Gone are the days...
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Yeah it feels like at this point you're only going to get good removal (Push, Path, Bolt) at common or uncommon. Maybe a utility dude as well, but for the most part you just load up on rares and mythics and you'll be good
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Actually, re-re-thinking about it, Gearhulk is still going to be a huge problem with Nexus because you cast Nexus during your opponents EoT, lose the counter fight over it, then gearhulk it back during your main phase. Or say you're vs. a non-blue deck and they discard it or something, boom, gearhulk EoT, get at absolute minimum two free attack phases.

Basically, there's a reason they've never printed a Time Walk at instant speed before, because its busted as fuck, and impossible to balance, because you'll never have to pay the price of burning one of your turns tapping out to cast it, so it's ALWAYS two turns in a row.

Actually, re-re-thinking about it, Gearhulk is still going to be a huge problem with Nexus because you cast Nexus during your opponents EoT, lose the counter fight over it, then gearhulk it back during your main phase. Or say you're vs. a non-blue deck and they discard it or something, boom, gearhulk EoT, get at absolute minimum two free attack phases.
    Unless I'm missing something, it still gets shuffled back when countered because its a triggered ability, not part of the resolution of the spell. Right? But, you are correct about other case though. Upon triggering when discarding, the gearhulk could be flashed in to cast it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

you both need to rtfc
    a) It gets shuffled in whether it goes to the graveyard by resolving or by any other means, so you can't gearhulk it even if it gets countered or discarded
    b) It's not a triggered ability, it's a replacement effect; the card never goes to the graveyard at all so there's never an opportunity to flash this back with gearhulk

edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Yeah it feels like at this point you're only going to get good removal (Push, Path, Bolt) at common or uncommon. Maybe a utility dude as well, but for the most part you just load up on rares and mythics and you'll be good
    So like, the same shit that's always been common/uncommon? Counterspells and removal and Llanowar Elves? Oh no there are bomb rare creatures, what's the game coming to, it's not like Shivan Dragon was printed in alpha or anything...

Basically, there's a reason they've never printed a Time Walk at instant speed before, because its busted as fuck, and impossible to balance, because you'll never have to pay the price of burning one of your turns tapping out to cast it, so it's ALWAYS two turns in a row.
    Final Fortune,Glorious End, and Time Stop are close.

Playing Time Stop to "End the Turn" at the EOT doesn't really accomplish much. Passing the turn with 7 mana in a draw-go strategy isn't unheard of, and if you can drop a Time Walk EOT then you can untap, tap out to play out your threats (minimum of 7-8 mana worth of castings), then pass the next turn with a bunch of open mana to protect your stuff again is pretty powerful.

If you tap out to burn 7 mana and it gets countered, no big deal, you untap and draw-go per usual.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Playing Time Stop to "End the Turn" at the EOT doesn't really accomplish much. ...
    You're right, you have to cast that on the opponent's upkeep, or in response to something they cast so it's not quite as strong as a true 'time walk' effect.

Thread Information