Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Esper Legends

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Esper Delve

Another new direction for modern, after having gotten a disappointing 3-3 finish with Jeskai Delver at my last big event. There is a Modern 1K at the local in July, and here is the deck I'm looking to take. It has the best removal, really good threats, and I feel lingering souls is one of the best cards in modern ATM. It foregoes t1 delver for discard or cantrips, setting up a curve to stall the early game until a Tasigur/Geist/souls/Gurmag/Tombstalker can be deployed. With the incredible removal Geist gets through very consistently, whereas with jeskai the burn spells occasionally didn't do the job. Having discard available is better in the metagame than burn, in my opinion, because Geist/Tasigur are so good at closing games by themselves. 7/25/18 - Thought Scour really powers up the deck, making the 4th Souls a smart change. Discard main, counters side, focus on big, cheap threats and a low-to-the ground curve.

Updated list 6/18/18 (Collective Brutality, Polluted Delta, Hidden Stockpile)
    Updated list 6/25/18 (Sorin, Solemn Visitor, up Remand, add Deprive, take out Mana Leak, -1 Iok/+1 Thoughtseize)
    Updated list 7/11/18 (-2 Remand, -1 Deprive, +2 Spell Snare, +1 Liliana, the Last Hope, -1 Glacial Fortress, +1 Drowned Catacomb)
    Updated list 7/25/18 (complete rework, based on delve threats, Thought Scour, discard-based disruption main, sideboard counterspells.)

3x Snapcaster Mage
    3x Geist of Saint Traft
    2x Tasigur, the Golden Fang
    1x Tombstalker
    2x Gurmag Angler

4x Serum Visions
    4x Thought Scour
    3x Inquisition of Kozilek
    3x Thoughtseize
    4x Fatal Push
    3x Path to Exile
    2x Collective Brutality
    4x Lingering Souls
    2x Liliana of the Veil

4x Flooded Strand
    2x Polluted Delta
    1x Marsh Flats
    1x Hallowed Fountain
    1x Watery Grave
    1x Godless Shrine
    2x Island
    2x Swamp
    1x Plains
    1x Concealed Courtyard
    1x Seachrome Coast
    1x Darkslick Shores
    1x Shambling Vent
    1x Creeping Tar Pit

Sideboard
    2x Blessed Alliance
    2x Stony Silence
    1x Countersquall
    1x Stubborn Denial
    1x Nihil Spellbomb
    1x Engineered Explosives
    1x Disenchant
    2x Ceremonious Rejection
    1x Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1x Liliana, the Last Hope
    1x Zealous Persecution
    Last edited by Mr. Safety; 07-25-2018 at 11:37 AM.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

The Fire of Justice Burns Like Nothing Else
    Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

Re: Esper Legends

I like the concept of this deck a lot. Geist is one of my favorite cards and is waaaayyy past its prime in Legacy so I'm happy to see it played in Modern. Some of my thoughts:

• Collective Brutality is a must-include in the 75 of any fair deck with Black due to its versatility. You're tapping out a lot with this deck anyway so I don't think being a 2-mana Sorcery is a significant reason not to play it.
    • Is Shambling Vent really the manland of choice? Not Tar-Pit or Colonnade? I'm guessing you're concerned about lifeloss?
    • Seachrome Coast/Darkslick Shores might be better than Glacial Fortress/Drowned Catacombs here.
    • Snapcaster is great in this deck - I can't imagine playing <4.
    • Cryptic Command is a bit demanding on the manabase, but I'd want to find away to accomodate 2 - just a very good card.
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderPreaux View Post
    Gronder sounds like a dating app for people who play Knight of the Reliquary.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

All good points, ones that I have been tossing around in my head. Line by line:

-Collective Brutality, YES, especially with Lingering Souls. Once I get 2 copies they replace Esper Charm.
    -Shambling Vent was indeed for lifegain due to Thoughtseize/resource balancing. Brutality helps offset that, but more than anything I wonder how many tapped lands I can play with only 20 and a focus on the early game. Ideally it would be 1/1 Vent/Tarpit, It's on the testing list. Colonnade I think just costs too much to really do anything relevant before I should be closing out games.
    -Definitely testing out Seachrome Coast/Darkslick Shores after I test the buddy lands. I think you're probably correct, especially whereas I cut 2 fetchlands to fit in Shizo/Eiganjo. The buddy lands really need around 8 fetches to be more advantageous than the fastlands.
    -I think 3 snapcaster mage is fine, although I understand that playing 4 of your best cards is correct. I'm 1 snapcaster short, but I don't think it's a deal-breaker. I'm considering 1x Restoration Angel as well, which can be quite good with snapcaster.
    -I have a love/hate relationship with Cryptic Command. It warps the mana-base, not unbearably so, but it still makes it a little harder to achieve. I think even 1-2 Cryptics would cause trouble with Eiganjo/Shizo not producing blue mana (see 3rd point above about lands.) I think I would get more bang for my slots with the PW's (Jace and Sorin) in the 4-mana slots. I'm also trying to get under the Cryptic decks like UWx control, so I really want the cheap discard to work around Cryptic.

Thanks for the comments! You nailed exactly why I want to do this deck: play the best removal (Path/Push) to get Geist through. Initial playtesting has been very positive; Geist and Tasigur close games super fast and even Souls provides an enormous amount of pressure.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    All good points, ones that I have been tossing around in my head. Line by line:

-Collective Brutality, YES, especially with Lingering Souls. Once I get 2 copies they replace Esper Charm.
    -Shambling Vent was indeed for lifegain due to Thoughtseize/resource balancing. Brutality helps offset that, but more than anything I wonder how many tapped lands I can play with only 20 and a focus on the early game. Ideally it would be 1/1 Vent/Tarpit, It's on the testing list. Colonnade I think just costs too much to really do anything relevant before I should be closing out games.
    -Definitely testing out Seachrome Coast/Darkslick Shores after I test the buddy lands. I think you're probably correct, especially whereas I cut 2 fetchlands to fit in Shizo/Eiganjo. The buddy lands really need around 8 fetches to be more advantageous than the fastlands.
    -I think 3 snapcaster mage is fine, although I understand that playing 4 of your best cards is correct. I'm 1 snapcaster short, but I don't think it's a deal-breaker. I'm considering 1x Restoration Angel as well, which can be quite good with snapcaster.
    -I have a love/hate relationship with Cryptic Command. It warps the mana-base, not unbearably so, but it still makes it a little harder to achieve. I think even 1-2 Cryptics would cause trouble with Eiganjo/Shizo not producing blue mana (see 3rd point above about lands.) I think I would get more bang for my slots with the PW's (Jace and Sorin) in the 4-mana slots. I'm also trying to get under the Cryptic decks like UWx control, so I really want the cheap discard to work around Cryptic.

Thanks for the comments! You nailed exactly why I want to do this deck: play the best removal (Path/Push) to get Geist through. Initial playtesting has been very positive; Geist and Tasigur close games super fast and even Souls provides an enormous amount of pressure.
    I didn't realize you were playing so few lands. As Legacy players our instinct is to cut lands for cantrips, but I don't think that's a good idea in Modern because the cantrips are so awful. I would want 23-25 lands in this deck (depending on the number of 4 CMC spells), you want to hit all your land drops and reach 5-6 mana every game.

If you don't have access to a 4th Snapcaster, I'd give Jace, Vryn's Prodigy a shot. I've played him in Esper Stoneblade/Deathblade before and found he was decent. Dark Confidant could fit in this slot as well.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I respectfully disagree, especially when considering I top out at 4 mana for only 2 cards (Jace/Sorin, Verdict in the board.) I was playing Jeskai Delver for over a year with only 18 lands, with basically the same curve, and I almost never faced mana issues. Yes the cantrips are weaker than Legacy but when it comes to finding lands and smoothing out draws, Serum Visions is at least as good as Preordain. Opt isn't as great, but I am also getting the land count up to 20. Testing will find out if I'm wrong, but this is another reason for avoiding Cryptic. That 5-6 mana is to flashback Cryptic with Snapcaster. The most I'd ever need is 5 mana to flash back an Esper Charm with Snapcaster, and I'd rather hedge against flooding than hedge against mana screw. Twenty seems to be fine to me.

*shrug* Maybe you're right and testing will reveal that I need more lands. I would cap out at 22 probably, but if I did that it would be another Ghost Quarter and a fetchland.

EDIT: When I'm drawing cards off Esper Charm and Remand the lands tend to find their way into my hand as well. If I get too pinched on 20 lands I'll squeeze in another Opt + Land, or two lands.

Dark Confidant is an idea I have toyed with, but I don't know if that's the direction I want to take. I'd probably do something disruptive like Tidehollow Sculler before I did Confidant. Confidant is just a different deck, and playing 6 drops like Tasigur is risky. Yes cantrips, but I can't always avoid it.
    Brainstorm Realist

Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

I respectfully disagree, especially when considering I top out at 4 mana for only 2 cards (Jace/Sorin, Verdict in the board.) I was playing Jeskai Delver for over a year with only 18 lands, with basically the same curve, and I almost never faced mana issues. Yes the cantrips are weaker than Legacy but when it comes to finding lands and smoothing out draws, Serum Visions is at least as good as Preordain. Opt isn't as great, but I am also getting the land count up to 20. Testing will find out if I'm wrong, but this is another reason for avoiding Cryptic. That 5-6 mana is to flashback Cryptic with Snapcaster. The most I'd ever need is 5 mana to flash back an Esper Charm with Snapcaster, and I'd rather hedge against flooding than hedge against mana screw. Twenty seems to be fine to me.

*shrug* Maybe you're right and testing will reveal that I need more lands. I would cap out at 22 probably, but if I did that it would be another Ghost Quarter and a fetchland.

EDIT: When I'm drawing cards off Esper Charm and Remand the lands tend to find their way into my hand as well. If I get too pinched on 20 lands I'll squeeze in another Opt + Land, or two lands.

Dark Confidant is an idea I have toyed with, but I don't know if that's the direction I want to take. I'd probably do something disruptive like Tidehollow Sculler before I did Confidant. Confidant is just a different deck, and playing 6 drops like Tasigur is risky. Yes cantrips, but I can't always avoid it.
    Truthfully I've only resolved Serum Visions and Opt on Cockatrice, so you likely know better . I should clarify that I wouldn't play say 24 lands without including 4 manlands/utility lands, which kind of let you have your cake and eat it by being lands that can do other stuff in the event of flooding.

I forgot about Tasigur when suggesting Bobby - I wouldn't have a problem playing them together in Legacy, but that's a way worse proposition in a format with shocklands.

I'm still inclined to believe that due to its sheer versatility the first few copies of Cryptic are more valuable than any 4-mana walker. Jace just hasn't been that impressive in Modern from what I've seen.

You mention playing UWR before...Esper has plenty of good cards, but in terms of a Geist-based deck you don't think UWR is a better fit since you have access to spot removal that also goes upstairs?

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

The burn option polarizes your matchups more. I found that against my good matchups I slaughtered my opponent, against the bad matchups I didn't have a chance (not really.) I've played quite a few matches with UWR Geist and the UWx control matchup is very difficult. All the burn doesn't win the game because they can overload you with card advantage and play exactly as they want to: draw-go. The option to get aggressive is there, but it relies almost singlehandedly on resolving a Geist. The games where I land Geist I won; the games where I landed even my 2nd best threat (Delver or Young Pyromancer) were losses. Against Jund it was fairly even, but winnable because only certain cards mattered (Liliana, Scavenging Ooze, Dark Confidant.) So I prioritize those, which they have to proactively play to get into the game. It plays right into the plan of dealing with threats and cleaning house with our own. Long story short: the burn plan worked well, but only in situations where the matchup was already in favor. Against poor matchups it was often boarded out for extra protection to make sure Geist landed or specifically for sideboard cards to shore up bad matchups.

Now contrast that with Esper Geist, a deck with access to very good cards against UWx and Jund: Lingering Souls and discard. The discard also provides a way to fight the Storm, Eldrazi/Tron, and combo decks better than just a faster clock. Counters and removal is good against the fairer decks, but counters, removal, and discard is good against those and good against the combo decks. The only real matchup I'm giving ground on is Burn, maybe Humans. The sideboard does a nice job of addressing burn (Leyline, Alliance) and humans (Verdict, Explosives.) I found that against humans in particular the creatures would occasionally get out of burn range, which makes Fatal Push a superior removal spell. I mean, if Geist/Tasigur/Souls are that good at finishing games (they are) why do I need burn? I can just squash my opponent's plan with discard, counters, and removal, then ride my threats to victory.

Those are my thoughts anyways. I can appreciate the Cryptic comments; you aren't wrong. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and squeeze 2 in there instead of the planeswalkers.

EDIT: To clarify, I almost *never* play a stock tier deck. It's not that I couldn't (I have the cards) I just don't find that kind of magic enjoyable, and for me I'd rather move in a direction that I enjoy. Yes, make it as competitive as possible given the strategy, but having fun with the game is priority #1 for me, especially in Modern. Legacy I tend to lean more towards established decks slightly, but they are almost always fringe decks.
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Sorry, still thinking about this deck, lol...

What do you think about Thalia, Heretic Cathar? It fits the legendary theme (so I can get it through unblocked with Shizo and protect it from Bolt with Eiganjo Castle) and the effect seems VERY good.
    Brainstorm Realist

Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

The burn option polarizes your matchups more. I found that against my good matchups I slaughtered my opponent, against the bad matchups I didn't have a chance (not really.) I've played quite a few matches with UWR Geist and the UWx control matchup is very difficult. All the burn doesn't win the game because they can overload you with card advantage and play exactly as they want to: draw-go. The option to get aggressive is there, but it relies almost singlehandedly on resolving a Geist. The games where I land Geist I won; the games where I landed even my 2nd best threat (Delver or Young Pyromancer) were losses. Against Jund it was fairly even, but winnable because only certain cards mattered (Liliana, Scavenging Ooze, Dark Confidant.) So I prioritize those, which they have to proactively play to get into the game. It plays right into the plan of dealing with threats and cleaning house with our own. Long story short: the burn plan worked well, but only in situations where the matchup was already in favor. Against poor matchups it was often boarded out for extra protection to make sure Geist landed or specifically for sideboard cards to shore up bad matchups.

Now contrast that with Esper Geist, a deck with access to very good cards against UWx and Jund: Lingering Souls and discard. The discard also provides a way to fight the Storm, Eldrazi/Tron, and combo decks better than just a faster clock. Counters and removal is good against the fairer decks, but counters, removal, and discard is good against those and good against the combo decks. The only real matchup I'm giving ground on is Burn, maybe Humans. The sideboard does a nice job of addressing burn (Leyline, Alliance) and humans (Verdict, Explosives.) I found that against humans in particular the creatures would occasionally get out of burn range, which makes Fatal Push a superior removal spell. I mean, if Geist/Tasigur/Souls are that good at finishing games (they are) why do I need burn? I can just squash my opponent's plan with discard, counters, and removal, then ride my threats to victory.

Those are my thoughts anyways. I can appreciate the Cryptic comments; you aren't wrong. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and squeeze 2 in there instead of the planeswalkers.

EDIT: To clarify, I almost *never* play a stock tier deck. It's not that I couldn't (I have the cards) I just don't find that kind of magic enjoyable, and for me I'd rather move in a direction that I enjoy. Yes, make it as competitive as possible given the strategy, but having fun with the game is priority #1 for me, especially in Modern. Legacy I tend to lean more towards established decks slightly, but they are almost always fringe decks.
    You're right, I guess its mostly a question of which matchups you want to improve or expect to face. I can see how Esper gets a big boost against Jund and UWx Control compared to UWR for example.

Sorry, still thinking about this deck, lol...

What do you think about Thalia, Heretic Cathar? It fits the legendary theme (so I can get it through unblocked with Shizo and protect it from Bolt with Eiganjo Castle) and the effect seems VERY good.
    I've found THC can be powerful in Legacy - but I've only played her in decks capable of reliably casting her on turn 2. I don't have the experience to evaluate her for Modern, but I can't imagine she's bad.

I was trying versions of this deck today on Cockatrice and thought a Legend with Lifelink would be good. Kambal, Consul of Allocation may be the man for this job but feels like a SB card. Is Lyra Dawnbringer too ambitious? Another thought I had was that if Restoration Angel is worth considering, why not Venser? He can be quite potent in the right spot and Eiganjo/Shizo help compensate for his mediocre body.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Venser is on my test list, but again, I was trying to avoid 4-drops. I like that Venser can save my geist and play a really good tempo plan. It's like an uber remand.

Lifelink legend would indeed be good. Alternatively maybe a good equipment, but without jitte I think there aren't any good options. Batterskull or Basilisk collar?

Edit: Kalitas?
    Brainstorm Realist

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Thalia HC: In my experience her ability just doesn't do enough to justify the 3 cost. I've only liked her in a GW deck that had stuff like Selfless Spirit to make sure whichever hatebear is important in a given matchup will actually stick.

Snapcaster: A fourth one could be better than something probably, but esper is one of the weaker color combos for Snapcaster. Snapping a discard spell loses value in the late game where SCM needs to be high value, and you don't have an all-around cheap good card like bolt to rely on hitting. Without Cryptic Command you don't really have a huge card to make Snapcaster really swing stuff in your favor, so I wouldn't run the 4th unless you want to run some Cryptics.

Venser: Seems too cute and I can't see many decks it would be a big deal against right now, and Remand does a good enough job at saying "fuck you" to flashbacked/suspended cards if you do run into any. If you want a cheap bounce I'm always a big fan of Repeal, but I know I'm in the minority on that card.

Search for Azcanta: This card is insane even without any flashback or delve cards. It's just too good to not include at least 2, possibly even 3. It's oppressive in the blue mirror. If you're trying to improve your UW control matchup, this will go a long way toward getting there.

Esper Charm: I can't stand this card. Maybe everyone else has really awesome blowouts with it but every time I've tried it I'd rather just have a Cryptic Command or Liliana or something that actually impacts the game. It's in the same boat as Think Twice as far as I'm concerned; I understand the value in theory, but in practice it's always the card in your hand you'd least want to spend mana on. I'd really consider replacing this with Cryptic/Jace/Liliana/Search for Azcanta.

Kalitas: I really like him, I've had games where he's really blown out the opponent, but I'm not sure he's the best in Esper. You're going to be countering a fair portion of their creatures if that's the opponent's strategy of choice, so he already gets devalued a bit. In G/B or Jund he makes more sense to me since it's all Discard/Kill control whereas Esper is more Counter/discard/kill control. I'd probably run Jace again.

Teferi, Hero of Dominaria: Speaking of Planeswalkers, this guy has been surprisingly outperforming my expectations in Modern. Card advantage with 5 loyalty AND he untaps your mana for a counterspell is incredibly strong. I've been playing a bit of Jeskai control lately with 1 Jace 1 Teferi, and I'm never unhappy to see either of them.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Awesome feedback, thanks!

Regarding Search for Azcanta, I agree. It does seem nutty good. I know I'm going even more fringe with this idea, but what about Hidden Stockpile? I would want to get up to 8 fetches again to ensure it works, but it's also just a good engine with Souls. If I played Hidden Stockpile (or Search for Azcanta) I think the Esper Charms have to go. As I said in the OP, it's a flex spot. Fourth Souls, Azcanta/Stockpile, more fetches. Seems pretty good to me. Then I just have to figure out how to get Collective Brutality into the deck somewhere...
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

So I was spitballing in my head about Hidden Stockpile. My first inclination was that it can be a great way to smooth out draws and create tokens, which can block Tarmogoyfs etc, and then I realized that it triggers for free at EOT with Geist's Angel token (or I can sac it post combat for a scry and a 1/1), lets me sacrifice creatures in response to removal/blocking threats, and it is effective on my curve at 2 mana just like Search would be. I love that Search is just plain good on its own, albeit a little mana-intensive to activate.

TL;DR - I will be testing 2x Hidden Stockpile, dropping the Esper Charms.

3x Snapcaster Mage
    3x Geist of Saint Traft
    1x Vendilion Clique

4x Serum Visions
    4x Inquisition of Kozilek
    2x Thoughtseize
    3x Fatal Push
    3x Path to Exile
    2x Opt
    3x Mana Leak
    3x Remand
    2x Hidden Stockpile
    3x Lingering Souls
    1x Sorin, Solemn Visitor

4x Flooded Strand
    2x Polluted Delta
    1x Marsh Flats
    2x Hallowed Fountain
    1x Watery Grave
    1x Godless Shrine
    2x Island
    1x Swamp
    1x Plains
    1x Eiganjo Castle
    1x Shizo, Death’s Storehouse
    1x Darkslick Shores
    1x Seachrome Coast
    1x Shambling Vent
    1x Ghost Quarter

Sideboard
    2x Supreme Verdict
    2x Stony Silence
    1x Engineered Explosives
    2x Blessed Alliance
    2x Nihil Spellbomb
    4x Leyline of Sanctity
    1x Negate
    1x Detention Sphere

I really want the 4th Souls now that I have Stockpile, and maybe the best bet is to just play 1x Stockpile/3x Souls rather than the 2/3 split I have now. Also cut an Island to get another fetch in (Delta) and put in the fastlands over the buddy lands.
    Brainstorm Realist

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Hidden Stockpiles seems fine, but Search for Azcanta is a must include imo.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Working on it...I don't disagree.
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

So I traded into another Delta and 2x Collective Brutality this weekend, making the deck much tighter. Unfortunately I couldn't trade into the Search for Azcantas. I might bite the bullet and buy them, but for now I'll try 1x Hidden Stockpile until I get them.

OP updated with current list.
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

OP updated, this deck is a blast! I am still debating the 7th fetchland, which I think should be there. Maybe its time to just drop the Ghost Quarter from the list. Would love feedback. Also went back to Remand/Deprive split rather than Mana Leak. Mana Leak is really sub-par in modern, I really wish we had actual Counterspell. I ended up going back to Sorin over Stockpile; it really can help overbalance a seemingly even board quickly. With even just 2 souls tokens he threatens to make an 8 point life swing each turn.

EDIT: also going to 3x Thoughtseize, 3x Inquisition. IoK is missing more often than I'm comfortable with. Will drop Ghost Quarter once I get a Creeping Tar Pit.
    Brainstorm Realist

Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

OP updated, this deck is a blast! I am still debating the 7th fetchland, which I think should be there. Maybe its time to just drop the Ghost Quarter from the list. Would love feedback. Also went back to Remand/Deprive split rather than Mana Leak. Mana Leak is really sub-par in modern, I really wish we had actual Counterspell. I ended up going back to Sorin over Stockpile; it really can help overbalance a seemingly even board quickly. With even just 2 souls tokens he threatens to make an 8 point life swing each turn.

EDIT: also going to 3x Thoughtseize, 3x Inquisition. IoK is missing more often than I'm comfortable with. Will drop Ghost Quarter once I get a Creeping Tar Pit.
    The 7th (and 8th or even 9th) fetchland sounds right if you're playing Tasigurs.

Deprive seems like an underplayed card in Modern, but maybe that's my lack of format knowledge speaking. Its kind of the inverse of Mana Leak, worse early but better late.

I've seen Logic Knot in a lot of Modern lists, how do you think that compares?

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphix View Post
    The 7th (and 8th or even 9th) fetchland sounds right if you're playing Tasigurs.

Deprive seems like an underplayed card in Modern, but maybe that's my lack of format knowledge speaking. Its kind of the inverse of Mana Leak, worse early but better late.

I've seen Logic Knot in a lot of Modern lists, how do you think that compares?
    Overall I think logic knot is a great card, but I don't want to reduce snapcaster options or make it so I can't cast tasigur. I figure if I'm going to pay UU I want the spell countered, period. As you say, bad early and good late. I lean on remand more early. I wouldn't play more than 2 of either knot or deprive. I've been on Deprive for over a year in jeskai delver, it is certainly a reasonable card in modern.

An argument for spell snare exists, but I would rather dedicate slots to 1-mana discard.
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Thoughts on Monastery Mentor? I feel like it could be incredible. I would drop some number of counterspells to fit in 2-3. I think Lingering Souls is better in a vacuum, but Mentor could easily take over a game. I would likely want more Opts, maybe even cutting counterspells altogether and just running them in the sideboard. At that point it's blue just for Snaps, cantrips, Jace, and sideboard cards. I love the tempo of Remand, but Mentor threatens a faster clock.

I'm going to think about this one, but I'm definitely interested in other's thoughts.

EDIT: Revised potential Mentor list:

3x Snapcaster Mage
    3x Geist of Saint Traft
    1x Vendilion Clique
    2x Monastery Mentor

4x Serum Visions
    4x Opt
    3x Inquisition of Kozilek
    3x Thoughtseize
    3x Fatal Push
    3x Path to Exile
    2x Spell Snare
    1x Deprive
    2x Collective Brutality
    3x Lingering Souls
    1x Sorin, Solemn Visitor

4x Flooded Strand
    2x Polluted Delta
    1x Marsh Flats
    2x Hallowed Fountain
    1x Watery Grave
    1x Godless Shrine
    2x Island
    1x Swamp
    1x Plains
    1x Eiganjo Castle
    1x Shizo, Death’s Storehouse
    1x Drowned Catacomb
    1x Glacial Fortress
    1x Shambling Vent

It clogs more at the 3 mana slot, but all of the 3 mana plays are really good. The 2-mana part of the curve is quite low, just 5 cards, but that should be ok given the power of the 1-mana cards, and I want a critical mass of 1-mana spells for Mentor. Not sure about Spell Snare, but I definitely want 1-2 Deprive in the deck. Sometimes a late-game Deprive can seal the deal. One or two is fine, in my experience with Jeskai Delver.

Thoughts? Seems good to me, would love feedback.

EDIT: Another route is to go with Liliana of the Veil and relegate counterspells to the sideboard. Souls/Brutality/Liliana all work well together.
    Last edited by Mr. Safety; 07-10-2018 at 08:28 AM.
    Brainstorm Realist

Thread Information