Thread: Spellseeker As Foretold

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Spellseeker As Foretold

Not a super fleshed out idea, but I like spellseeker and want to try it out. I think searching up powerful spells that can be cast for free is a possibly good thing to do. Here's my first draft, my other thought is mono U living end with it in Legacy, but we'll start here.

As Foretold:

Maindeck (61)
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    3 Spellseeker
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Ancestral Vision
    2 Restore Balance
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Flusterstorm
    3 Ponder
    1 Spell Pierce
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Counterspell
    1 Pull from Tomorrow
    4 Force of Will
    3 Chrome Mox
    2 Myth Realized
    4 As Foretold
    4 Flooded Strand
    5 Island
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Plains
    4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Tundra
    2 Wasteland

Sideboard (10)
    1 Blue Elemental Blast
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Secure the Wastes
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Blessed Alliance
    2 Disenchant

Shared via TopDecked MTG https://www.topdecked.me/decks/37b5c...9-cff5bde6498e
    Last edited by Jander78; 06-11-2018 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Added card tags
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Re: Spellseeker As Foretold

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    my other thought is mono U living end with it in Legacy
    !
    I didn't even think of that interaction, much more interested in that idea tbh (not even necessarily mono blue, just Spellseeker / As Foretold / Living End)

Pull from Tomorrow is a cute idea but idk if it's good enough
    It's quite the nonbo with As Foretold
    Myth Realised has a similar issue I think
    If you wanted to be REALLY cute you could play 1 copy of Familiar's Ruse
    Last edited by kombatkiwi; 06-11-2018 at 06:56 AM.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

I definitely like the idea. I suspect that Pull from Tomorrow is too cute though, and I'm not sold on Myth Realized. I suspect you're better off just playing something like Monastery Mentor. Or even Entreat the Angels? Maybe too much setup involved but its a powerful option you can tutor for both 'halves' of.

Why the one-of Spell Pierce? I'd rather play either another Flusterstorm or a hard counter there. Maybe even another Ponder for consistency.

1. I would leverage one Tolaria West to find a Restore Balance or an Ancestral Vision. It can also help you find Wasteland, which under some circumstances you may need to fend off Dark Depths.

2. Consider a Zuran Orb main or in the sideboard. Not only is a blowout with As Foretold in play off a Restore Balance, it can be tutored using the Tolaria West.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Yeah there's probably a fine line between doing powerful things and getting too cute with it here. Also with Visions already I probably don't need more card advantage. As for the Spell Pierce I just feel like you might need it to force through an As Foretold. I guess Search for Azcanta needs to be here somewhere too. I just did Myth over Mentor because it ignores balance, but at the point I have an active mentor it probably doesn't even matter anyway
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Sorry to double post, but just thoughts. Some cards seem like they may be clunky without other cards (suspend cards without AF out) but spellseeker being able to find brainstorms to get rid of awkward stuff should be fine right? My first thoughts when Spellseeker came out was to make a "stoneblade" type list without the deck being weak to artifact removal like KCommand and stuff out of the board so Spellseeker is a sort of Stoneforge Replacement. Are there any spells worth finding that make having a 1/1 body relevant? That's essentially why I thought just finding balance and ancestral was necessary to the deck.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Sorry to double post, but just thoughts. Some cards seem like they may be clunky without other cards (suspend cards without AF out) but spellseeker being able to find brainstorms to get rid of awkward stuff should be fine right? My first thoughts when Spellseeker came out was to make a "stoneblade" type list without the deck being weak to artifact removal like KCommand and stuff out of the board so Spellseeker is a sort of Stoneforge Replacement. Are there any spells worth finding that make having a 1/1 body relevant? That's essentially why I thought just finding balance and ancestral was necessary to the deck.
    All of that makes a lot of sense to me, and just suspending Ancestral Vision early is a perfectly reasonable play as long as you can slow the game down enough to get the payoff which it certainly seems like this deck should be able to.

So, I've been working on a similar list of seeker and as foretold but also wanted to integrate eldrazi displacer. Getting to tutor for a spell every turn seems like a really grindy win con. Adding red then allows for some of the best counterspells post board (REB). And of course also allows for p-fire to be forced into the deck.

The list I'm working off of:

//Creatures
    4 Spellseeker
    4 Eldrazi Displacer

//Enchantments
    4 As Foretold

//Inst. & Sorc.
    4 Ancestral Visions
    1 Restore Balance
    1 Living End
    4 Braindstorm
    4 Ponder
    3 Punishing Fire
    4 Force of Will
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Counterspell

//Lands
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    2 Ancient Tomb
    3 Tundra
    2 Volcanic Island
    2 Island
    2 Plains
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Scalding Tarn
    Last edited by Kobra_D; 06-17-2018 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Card Tag Formatting

Jace Vryn Prodigy allows you to cast again from GY Ancestral Vision for free for 6 cards free

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    Jace Vryn Prodigy allows you to cast again from GY Ancestral Vision for free for 6 cards free
    You can't flashback Ancestral Visions with JVP. You can target it, but since it doesn't have a cmc to start with you cannot pay it's cmc to flashback. You also cannot cast it from the grave with As Foretold, as a spell can only have 1 alternative way to cast it.

Meh.
    Aug 2006
    Atlanta, Ga

Kobra_D, you're 100% incorrect.

Jace, Telepath Unbound does not give cards flashback, it let's you cast the card from your graveyard (e.g. Yawmoth's Will)

Flip Jace, As Foretold, and the suspend cards work as Poron suggests.
    Tusk up.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Just fucking ban the 600 pound gorilla and be done with it. FFS

OOh, it doesn't give flashback. That's pretty awesome. My apologies, I always assumed that JVP was flashback, but you're right, it does just say cast.

Dope.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Ended up 1-3 with this list. Played against Goblins, DnT, Grixis Delver, and Lands so the match ups were kind of rough, but it was mostly close losses and the deck felt powerful. It probably needs an EE somewhere and I think that I probably don't need the red. Vial decks are really good against this strategy. Also maybe need like a Zuran Orb to get rid of lands with balance. A guy at the event sUggested Teferi's protection I kind of like that idea with balance on the stack

As Foretold:

Maindeck (60)
    1 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
    1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    3 Ancestral Vision
    3 Restore Balance
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    3 Spell Pierce
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Council's Judgment
    2 Supreme Verdict
    4 Force of Will
    2 Chrome Mox
    2 Search for Azcanta
    4 As Foretold
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Island
    1 Karakas
    2 Plains
    3 Scalding Tarn
    2 Steam Vents
    2 Tolaria West
    2 Tundra

Sideboard (15)
    2 Faerie Macabre
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Dragonlord Ojutai
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Blessed Alliance
    2 Disenchant
    2 Misdirection
    1 Pithing Needle

A guy at the event sUggested Teferi's protection I kind of like that idea with balance on the stack
    That was me! It was good talking to you... I do like the suggestion in the thread of running JVP. I think this'll be my brew priority for a while... Currently thinking U/B running Living End, Snapcasters, Hymn to Tourachs... And probably Leyline of the Void/Helm of Obedience, because that's just my fave... And it makes Living End one-sided... I'll let you know what I come up with and how it plays...

I did some playtesting at the LGS this evening... I made some changes to an initial list as the night wore on... Grixis Delver felt really close, but not quite there, as I didn't have enough filtering... Hopefully it's a little more consistent with the addition of the Ponders... Ankh of Mishra did some work though... Death and Taxes wrecked me, and while part of that was due to an inability to draw any lands, it just felt tough overall... B/R reanimator was, surprisingly enough, a cakewalk... Stifles did a lot of work in that matchup... Still needs a bit of tuning, but here's what I was running:

4x Path to Exile
    4x Stifle
    3x Force of Will
    4x Ancestral Vision
    3x Restore Balance
    4x Ponder
    1x Council's Judgement
    2x Supreme Verdict
    1x Zuran Orb
    4x Mox Diamond
    3x Ankh of Mishra
    2x Search for Azcanta
    4x As Foretold
    2x Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4x Flooded Strand
    4x Ghost Quarter
    2x Karakas
    3x Tundra
    4x Island
    2x Plains

I plan on doing a little more work on it, in addition to coming up with a sideboard, prior to Legacy FNM next Friday at the LGS...

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by aliveasgo View Post
    I did some playtesting at the LGS this evening... I made some changes to an initial list as the night wore on... Grixis Delver felt really close, but not quite there, as I didn't have enough filtering... Hopefully it's a little more consistent with the addition of the Ponders... Ankh of Mishra did some work though... Death and Taxes wrecked me, and while part of that was due to an inability to draw any lands, it just felt tough overall... B/R reanimator was, surprisingly enough, a cakewalk... Stifles did a lot of work in that matchup... Still needs a bit of tuning, but here's what I was running:

4x Path to Exile
    4x Stifle
    3x Force of Will
    4x Ancestral Vision
    3x Restore Balance
    4x Ponder
    1x Council's Judgement
    2x Supreme Verdict
    1x Zuran Orb
    4x Mox Diamond
    3x Ankh of Mishra
    2x Search for Azcanta
    4x As Foretold
    2x Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4x Flooded Strand
    4x Ghost Quarter
    2x Karakas
    3x Tundra
    4x Island
    2x Plains

I plan on doing a little more work on it, in addition to coming up with a sideboard, prior to Legacy FNM next Friday at the LGS...
    I feel like this deck really wants Tolaria West. Especially if you're playing spicy one ofs like Orb. It was rarely bad for me especially would've been great if i had been playing EE. Plus you can discard it to diamond if it's bad. I was thinking of playing this in the legacy classic this weekend in Atlanta, but i think my modern deck is better at the moment

I honestly forgot about Tolaria West and Engineered Explosives, as I wasn't able to pick up any earlier in the week... But you're right, that would certainly help in a lot of cases... I'll have to see if I can't find someone willing to part with some...

Well, adding Tolaria West and Engineered Explosives didn't quite get there... Too many Vial decks at my LGS for this to be viable for me...

Let me suggest you Accumulated Knowledge and Intuition in a post DRS ban. Intuition for AK and then tutor for AK with Spellseeker and flashing back with SCM is ridiculous with As Foretold haha

Basically, it is removing Ancestral Vision for AK...

2-3 Spellseeker
    4 Accumulated Knowledge
    1-2 Intuition
    2-3 Snapcaster Mage
    4 As Foretold

2-4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Supreme Verdict (3 is the right number with Intuition)

It feels like a good start.

And probably too cute but Leyline of Anticipation has synergy with As Foretold.

Thread Information