4 Stasis

1 Celestial Colonnade
    1 Plains
    1 Azorius Chancery
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Scalding Tarn
    3 Tundra
    10 Island

- If you haven't been following standard, Teferi wins the game by itself because after you emblem to exile all the opposing permanents you deck them out (you can never deck yourself because when you have no cards left in your library you cast Teferi and use the -3 on himself). In legacy the Emrakul decks can avoid losing to this by discarding to hand size, so I also play 1 Celestial Colonnade as an alternate wincon. (This takes up the least space in the deck compared to playing Black Vise or some other crappy plan B, and there is no overlap between Wasteland decks and Emrakul decks so it's unkillable in the matchups where you care about it)

- Teferi is 1 mana more expensive to cast than Ral Zarek, and not tapping down opponent's permanents is a relevant drawback in some situations, but overall it's a way more powerful card so I think it might be an upgrade to play UW instead of UR

- Azcanta is good with Teferi (but admittedly not very good with Stasis), I wanted 1 Phyrexian-Arena type card for the Enlightened Tutor

- I want to fit 1-2 Chain of Vapor and maybe 1 Porphyry Nodes (Nodes might be better than Restore balance in this deck)

- 4 Stasis might be too many

- There are possibly too many lands also
    - Some number of Ancient Tomb / COT Might be ok
    Last edited by Jander78; 06-11-2018 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Added card tags

Re: Teferi Stasis

Ral Zarek and Garruk were already doing the same.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    Ral Zarek and Garruk were already doing the same.
    Neither of those do nearly as much as Teferi. Add to that the fact that Teferi is in better colors and you have an option that *might* actually work.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Neither of those do nearly as much as Teferi. Add to that the fact that Teferi is in better colors and you have an option that *might* actually work.
    Ral Zarek is the best combo with Stasis (less mana to cast plus it keeps the opponent's freshly-played lands and creatures tapped).
    Without Stasis Teferi is a 100x stronger card than Ral Zarek / Garruk / Kiora.
    White vs Red isn't too much of a change but I agree that white is probably slightly better
    The big question is if 5 mana is too expensive to be legacy playable, I will test some games tonight hopefully

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I don't think there is any doubt that Teferi is legacy playable; I mean you're already on the fringe with Stasis. I think Teferi is better without stasis, harder to cast with stasis. I would suggest Azorius Chanceryx1-2; it allows you to bounce a land to hand to re-play under stasis and Teferi untapping it nets you an extra mana.

EDIT: DOH! I didn't see you already had one in there.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Yup, Teferi and big mana lands are definitly cool together

Anyway what is Stasis? A lock deck that gets out of simmetry with a specificly built deck

Trinisphere, Chalice of the Void, Thorn of Amethyst, Lodestone Golem do the very same thing and in those decks you can normally cast an Ugin before this deck can cast a Teferi.

And that deck is a Tier 2

Grixis Czech Pile and Miracle all play REBs. 100% of the core cards of this deck die to Red Blasts..

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I don't think there is any doubt that Teferi is legacy playable; I mean you're already on the fringe with Stasis. I think Teferi is better without stasis, harder to cast with stasis. I would suggest Azorius Chanceryx1-2; it allows you to bounce a land to hand to re-play under stasis and Teferi untapping it nets you an extra mana.

EDIT: DOH! I didn't see you already had one in there.
    Yeah I thought that was a decent idea
    Might be unnecessary / too soft to wasteland but I'll see how it goes

The idea is that the rest of the deck is just a UW As Foretold control deck, which by itself is acceptable (Brainstorm, Ancestral, Force, Swords, etc)
    With As Foretold and Teferi, adding Stasis is basically free, and the idea is that it is approximately an 'I win' button in a large number of situations

2 Common play patterns that I had when I played the UR Version (with Ral Zarek) were:

A)
    1. Cast As Foretold on turn 3
    2. Cast Stasis (either from the As Foretold or by paying mana) -> The opponent's development and aggression is now severely hampered by having Stasis in play
    3. Keep paying for Stasis by making land drops (you aren't getting ahead much in this couple of turns but the opponent probably isn't doing much either, this is the situation where Daze is very good)
    4. As Foretold goes up to 4, play Ral Zarek, you win the game

or

B)
    1. Cast As Foretold on turn 3
    2. 2 Turns later it has 2+ counters on it
    2. Hardcast Ral Zarek off your lands
    3. Immediately play Stasis from the As Foretold, you win the game

Both of these lines work with Teferi as well, it's just slightly harder because Teferi is CMC 5

I did have access to SB plans that involved cutting Stasis and transitioning to a 'normal' control deck, because Stasis is much worse in certain matchups (e.g. Elves), but it's easy to underestimate a 2 mana enchantment that locks up the game vs most strategies

Edit:
    Compared to chalice decks I think being able to play good cards like Brainstorm and Swords is an important consideration
    I agree that being soft to Red Blasts is probably a significant weakness

I have been playing Stasis for a few weeks and I like it! So I really want to know how this deck works for you.
    My experience is that you need several ways to keep Stasis on the battlefield. I don't think 3 Teferi is enough. Maybe add Forsaken City?
    And some sweeper would be good. Some decks will be able to have 3-4 or more creatures before you can set up Stasis or Teferi.

I will soon be posting my Stasis deck! I believe in Stasis!

May 2015
    PDX

I've never really understood the fascination with As Foretold + Stasis in decks that are going all-in on Stasis....just run Equipoise and balance away all their creatures and artifacts on upkeep (since you won't play any) for as long as their turns don't begin with an untap step. Unlocking the lands portion of the on-board balance effect is harder, but 2x Thwart would be sufficient. Alternatively when playing Terminus, there would be windows of stability where you could hit them with a Power Sink, untap and Stasis them (maintains the option to have very few copies of Stasis and an amount of E Tutor, in this case on upkeep). The main issue with this deck regardless of which direction it goes is that you're stacking a minimum of three cards/effects in a specific order (where the 2-drop is always played after the 5-drop) and then including cards that make sense once magical christmasland has been assembled.

I've brought this up in another Stasis thread, but as a base level we just need to acknowledge that we could swap in 2x Trops and then add 2x Stasis to Elves and maintain a gameplan with a novel ability to attack on a Stasis axis. In terms of UW control shells you could keep playing the cantrip cartel/Terminus/StP/SCM, swap JTMS for Teferi, and do something as simple as having 1-2 Back to Basics floating around and an amount of Rish Ports (hiding the Frozen Aether effect in the manabase kinda just has to happen anyway since the card is just terrible). Even as we talk about UW though, you could just play UW Standstill and have just the B2B in the board - sure it's no longer a Stasis deck, but you do have a deck better poised to execute the plan proposed by its respective enchantment.

Anyways one key point about Teferi is that when you untap 2 lands, your 2 mana spell should probably be actual Counterspell.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I've never really understood the fascination with As Foretold + Stasis in decks that are going all-in on Stasis....just run Equipoise and balance away all their creatures and artifacts on upkeep (since you won't play any) for as long as their turns don't begin with an untap step. Unlocking the lands portion of the on-board balance effect is harder, but 2x Thwart would be sufficient. Alternatively when playing Terminus, there would be windows of stability where you could hit them with a Power Sink, untap and Stasis them (maintains the option to have very few copies of Stasis and an amount of E Tutor, in this case on upkeep). The main issue with this deck regardless of which direction it goes is that you're stacking a minimum of three cards/effects in a specific order (where the 2-drop is always played after the 5-drop) and then including cards that make sense once magical christmasland has been assembled.

I've brought this up in another Stasis thread, but as a base level we just need to acknowledge that we could swap in 2x Trops and then add 2x Stasis to Elves and maintain a gameplan with a novel ability to attack on a Stasis axis. In terms of UW control shells you could keep playing the cantrip cartel/Terminus/StP/SCM, swap JTMS for Teferi, and do something as simple as having 1-2 Back to Basics floating around and an amount of Rish Ports (hiding the Frozen Aether effect in the manabase kinda just has to happen anyway since the card is just terrible). Even as we talk about UW though, you could just play UW Standstill and have just the B2B in the board - sure it's no longer a Stasis deck, but you do have a deck better poised to execute the plan proposed by its respective enchantment.
    As Foretold:
    1: Ancestral Vision is naturally good in the FoW prison deck
    2: It fixes the problem that you talk about of "the 2 drop is always played after the 5 drop"

Equipoise:
    If I can already sustain stasis somehow then why do I need to phase out all my opponent's creatures and artifacts forever? They already don't untap. I don't understand the comparison to As Foretold when they do completely different things

Power Sink:
    Could be ok, but if Teferi is good enough (compared to Ral Zarek) then I assume that in general forcing the opponent's things to be tapped isn't essential, compared to simply not having them untap. (1 Slot for Frozen Aether I think is ok as an Etutor bullet, not just for blocking land drops but also weird corner case things like end step Marit Lage)

Elves:
    You can sustain Stasis in Elves but you can't really win under it and you have no way of taking it off the table in your opponent's endstep

Rishadan Port / B2B:
    Stasis is probably worse than just normal miracles, sure, the whole point of threads like this is to go from the assumption that maybe it isn't
    Port in the Stasis deck could still be ok

Standstill:
    Like you say, it's a different deck

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    Equipoise:
    If I can already sustain stasis somehow then why do I need to phase out all my opponent's creatures and artifacts forever? They already don't untap. I don't understand the comparison to As Foretold when they do completely different things

(1 Slot for Frozen Aether I think is ok as an Etutor bullet, not just for blocking land drops but also weird corner case things like end step Marit Lage)

Elves:
    You can sustain Stasis in Elves but you can't really win under it and you have no way of taking it off the table in your opponent's endstep
    Really quickly on this point, Elves is massively mana positive under a Stasis as Quirion untaps another creature (DRS, Arbor, Heritage, Birchlore) with a Trop bounce/replay and any green 1 drop untaps the Nettle Sentinels, and you have infinite access to green 1 drop plays with Wirewood bounces. By itself Quirion [with Trop/Stasis] is a self-untapping 20 turn clock.

It is not possible to make a Marit Lage against Equipoise without being interacted with assuming the Stasis player has 1 fewer land (and no creatures) upon the resolution of the trigger. That is of course meaningless though (due to an inexplicably terrible rules update buffing Lage vs phasing), if the Depths player will begin their turn with an untap step.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Really quickly on this point, Elves is massively mana positive under a Stasis as Quirion untaps another creature (DRS, Arbor, Heritage, Birchlore) with a Trop bounce/replay and any green 1 drop untaps the Nettle Sentinels, and you have infinite access to green 1 drop plays with Wirewood bounces. By itself Quirion [with Trop/Stasis] is a self-untapping 20 turn clock.

It is not possible to make a Marit Lage against Equipoise without being interacted with assuming the Stasis player has 1 fewer land (and no creatures) upon the resolution of the trigger. That is of course meaningless though (due to an inexplicably terrible rules update buffing Lage vs phasing), if the Depths player will begin their turn with an untap step.
    I get that you can ding your opponent for 1-2 every turn but it puts a massive amount of pressure on your Quirion Rangers and it gives the opponent a lot of time to find removal

Thanks for the tip on phasing, your special area of expertise. You aren't wrong, but equipoise won't stop e.g. Endstep Crop Rotation into the combo. That's the whole point of Frozen Aether, is that it shuts down basically every corner case

Anyway it doesn't matter, I've played a few games and all signs point toward the deck being shit
    I think an UW Enlightened Tutor / Teferi deck with a 1-of Stasis would be better, but Stasis wouldn't even be good in that deck either, because once you resolve Teferi everything else on top of that is pretty win-more anyway

Teferi Stasis

Try and goldfish this pile. If i owner Tabernacle i'd try it out

Teferistasis.dec

Counts : 60 main / 15 sideboard

Spells:36
    4 Ancestral Vision
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Mox Diamond
    1 Restore Balance
    1 Zuran Orb
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Search for Azcanta
    4 Stasis
    4 As Foretold
    1 Detention Sphere
    1 Storage Matrix
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Force of Will
    3 Teferi, Hero of Dominaria

Lands:24
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Azorius Chancery
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Island
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Plains
    3 Scalding Tarn
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    4 Tolaria West
    2 Tundra

Sideboard:15
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Flusterstorm
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Disenchant
    2 Rest in Peace
    1 Detention Sphere
    1 Leyline of Sanctity

I'd recommend Crucible of Worlds if you're running Zuran Orb. There's synergies between Tolaria West, As Foretold, Restore Balance and Zuran Orb, but there's also synergy between Orb, Crucible and Stasis which keeps the lock in place.

Teferi Stasis

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    I'd recommend Crucible of Worlds if you're running Zuran Orb. There's synergies between Tolaria West, As Foretold, Restore Balance and Zuran Orb, but there's also synergy between Orb, Crucible and Stasis which keeps the lock in place.
    Good idea. Makes mox better too.
    Makes Azcanta better too.

Thread Information