Thread: Walking Ballista VS Liliana, the Last Hope

Too tired to live, too lazy to die...
    Sep 2014
    On top of a mountain somewhere

Walking Ballista VS Liliana, the Last Hope

I think I might intuitively know how this situation would work but I think it is an interesting interaction and I thought other's might enjoy discussing it a little.

My opponent has a Walking Ballista with three +1/+1 counters on it. I have a Liliana, the Last Hope with one loyalty counter. If I use her +1 ability, what could happen?

First, does "giving a creature -2/-1" remove a +1/+1 counter?

Second, can my opponent respond to my activation by using Ballista's ability to deal 1 damage to her and kill her before the second loyalty counter goes on her?

Third, if my opponent allows the Lilly activation to resolve, can they still remove 2 +1/+1 counters if one of those counters are now a 0/+1 counter?
    mise 'miz v alter. of might as well (1997) 1: to win when you don't deserve to 2: to top-deck the "tings" you need 3: to be rewarded by an opponent's bad luck 4: to coin a phrase that spreads through the tournament scene like wildfire 5: to fling a monkey 6: to split firewood using a sharp instrument 7: To burn

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: Walking Ballista VS Liliana, the Last Hope

Quote Originally Posted by Misersoneof View Post
    I think I might intuitively know how this situation would work but I think it is an interesting interaction and I thought other's might enjoy discussing it a little.

My opponent has a Walking Ballista with three +1/+1 counters on it. I have a Liliana, the Last Hope with one loyalty counter. If I use her +1 ability, what could happen?

First, does "giving a creature -2/-1" remove a +1/+1 counter?

Second, can my opponent respond to my activation by using Ballista's ability to deal 1 damage to her and kill her before the second loyalty counter goes on her?

Third, if my opponent allows the Lilly activation to resolve, can they still remove 2 +1/+1 counters if one of those counters are now a 0/+1 counter?
    1) No. Only a -1-1 COUNTER would take a counter off.
    2) No. Putting loyalty is part of the cost. Once you activate the ability and your opponent gets priority the counter is already on her.
    3) See 1, though they will have to take two counters off the balista to kill Liliana, so after her ability resolves it will die
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Too tired to live, too lazy to die...
    Sep 2014
    On top of a mountain somewhere

Re: Walking Ballista VS Liliana, the Last Hope

That's what I thought. Maybe you don't agree that it's an interesting situation but I thought it was unique.

EDIT Forgot to say thanks!!
    mise 'miz v alter. of might as well (1997) 1: to win when you don't deserve to 2: to top-deck the "tings" you need 3: to be rewarded by an opponent's bad luck 4: to coin a phrase that spreads through the tournament scene like wildfire 5: to fling a monkey 6: to split firewood using a sharp instrument 7: To burn

Thread Information