Thread: rule question: placement of zones

rule question: placement of zones

Hello, I have a question about the placement of the different zones while playing. Is it true, that your GY has to be attatched to your library side wise? Means if my library is on the top left side of the area/field im playing, my GY has to be beneath it on the left side also? Im curious because I did not see any rule which says that the different zones need to have a specific placement, as long as they are seeable enough to seperate them from the others. Is it possible to have my library on the top left side and my GY on the top right side of the playing area for example?

thank you for confirmation/answers

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Re: rule question: placement of zones

As long as all players are clear on what zone is what, you can do whatever you want. Splay that graveyard across the mat you beautiful dredgy bastard.
    I know some tournament organizers have rules if you're on camera to use their dice and their tokens and their mat layouts, but nothing that's official rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Big Fat Hard Kicks, Oh My God I Want That Shit!
    Apr 2011

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    As long as all players are clear on what zone is what, you can do whatever you want. Splay that graveyard across the mat you beautiful dredgy bastard.
    I know some tournament organizers have rules if you're on camera to use their dice and their tokens and their mat layouts, but nothing that's official rules.
    Incorrect. The MTR is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by MTR 4.6 Game Layout
    Players in Competitive and Professional Rules Enforcement Level matches must arrange their cards, tokens, and other accessories on the battlefield using the following layout:

• From the player’s perspective, nonlands must be kept closer to the player’s opponent than lands, and no non-land cards should be between the land area and the edge of the table closest to the player.

• Non-creature permanents whose use may reasonably be associated with either the land or nonland area (e.g. an artifact whose only ability is a mana ability) may be located in either area, provided the overall layout is, in the judgment of tournament officials, clear. However, permanents that are also creatures (e.g. artifacts with March of the Machines on the battlefield, Dryad Arbor, or a Treetop Village that is currently a creature) must be placed in the nonland area. Players may not use other cards to intentionally obscure the presence of a permanent in any area of the battlefield.

• Each card should remain clearly associated with any permanents attached to it. For example, an Aura enchanting a land should be in the land area in contact with that land.

• The player’s library, graveyard, and exiled cards should be kept all to the left of the battlefield or all to the right of the battlefield at the player’s discretion.

• The player’s graveyard and exiled cards should be adjacent to the player’s library. All three should be distinct at all times.

• If a card is exiled by a permanent and that permanent includes a way to perform additional actions with the exiled card, the association of the two cards must be clear. Keeping the two cards together is recommended.

• Each untapped permanent should face its controller. Players are permitted to briefly turn a card upside-down as a memory aid.

Tournament officials may make exceptions or additions to these guidelines at their sole discretion in order to keep each player’s game layout clear. Players in exceptional situations (e.g. a player playing a deck with no lands or a deck that makes significant use of the graveyard) should consult with tournament officials to determine what allowances, if any, will be made.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Technics View Post
    Incorrect. The MTR is your friend.
    It's almost like the answers to rules questions may be found in rules documents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Thread Information