Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Esper Arena Rector (Esper friends/Esper gladiators)

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Re: Esper Arena Rector (Esper friends/Esper gladiators)

Quote Originally Posted by CovenantElite30 View Post
    Some comments and feedback from playing this deck.

1. Why not play thoughtseize, maybe 1 or 2? I had a situation in a game where I Inquisition them and they respond with a brainstorm. After they brainstorm they reveal 2 Force of Wills and a Jace. Was a very feel bad situation.

2. This deck feels like it wants Cavern of Souls, however the mana is very color specific so not sure how I would fit that in.

3. I had trouble with sideboarding, maybe you could do a write up? I wasn't sure if I take the combo out or not.

4. Drawing your 2 powerful planswalkers is a nightmare. However, Brainstorm and Jace help with that.

5. Sometimes I felt very threat light.

6. I get why your playing Ensaring Bridge, but that to me feels more like a sideboard card? I'm going to try moving them to the side and swap them for Liliana and a Clique.

Other than that the deck felt very powerful. The Phyrexian Tower was amazing and definitely a great include.
    Umm yeah, I was thinking about these exact same things actually. I originally didn't want to play thoughtseize because of the life loss but I've experienced the same thing now a couple times. Usually you can either bait out forces or get them with a therapy but not always.
    I keep going back and forth with cavern. I had swapped it out for the karakas when I added the cliques but had a game yesterday where I really wish I hadn't.
    Not much you can do about drawing your big Planeswalkers other than shuffling them away with brainstorm like you said. However, this is one of many reasons I like this version over nic fit.
    Let me get back to you on a sideboard guide. I'm actually considering switching out Nicol bolas to God-Pharaoh but then would have to probably bring a teferi back in. Could see moving the Bridges to the board and adding teferi and another removal spell or v.clique.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by drude1; 07-31-2018 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    Umm yeah, I was thinking about these exact same things actually...
    I made some changes to your list based on our conversations. Here is where I'm at:

Maindeck (60)
    3 Baleful Strix
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Arena Rector
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
    1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Fatal Push
    4 Ponder
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Thoughtseize
    1 Echoing Truth
    4 Force of Will
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Cavern of Souls
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Island
    1 Karakas
    1 Phyrexian Tower
    1 Plains
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    1 Tundra
    2 Underground Sea

Sideboard (15)
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Disenchant
    1 Far // Away
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Silent Gravestone

Here's where Iam currently at with my build as well...
    I've decided to go with the Thoughtseize as well because of the same issues you have described. I have also included the 2/2 split of swords and fatal push. However, I am experimenting with 2 vindicate in the main instead of the teferi, and echoing truth. I like the thought of being able to kill any problematic permanent I need (including my rector). I'm Not sure how it's going to pan out yet, but I'm curious to find out.

Creatures
    4 Arena rector
    3 baleful strix
    3 snapcaster mage

Planeswalkers
    1 Ugin, the spirit dragon
    1 Nicol Bolas planeswalkers
    1 Jace, the mind Sculptor

Removal
    2 fatal push
    2 swords to plowshares
    1 supreme verdict
    2 vindicate
    1 diabolic edict

Cantrips
    3 ponder
    4 brainstorm

Discard
    4 cabal therapy
    3 Thoughtseize

Counter-magic
    4 force of will

Lands
    1 phyrexian tower
    1 karakas
    2 island
    1 swamp
    1 plains
    2 tundra
    3 underground sea
    1 scrubland
    4 flooded strand
    4 polluted delta
    1 marsh flats

SB
    1 spell pierce
    2 flusterstorm
    1 diabolic edict
    1 supreme verdict
    1 null rod
    2 disenchant
    1 echoing truth
    3 surgical extraction
    1 pithing needle
    1 back to basics
    1 bitterblossom

Quote Originally Posted by Ceralyst View Post
    Here's where Iam currently at with my build as well...
    I've decided to go with the Thoughtseize as well because of the same issues you have described. I have also included the 2/2 split of swords and fatal push. However, I am experimenting with 2 vindicate in the main instead of the teferi, and echoing truth. I like the thought of being able to kill any problematic permanent I need (including my rector). I'm Not sure how it's going to pan out yet, but I'm curious to find out.

Creatures
    4 Arena rector
    3 baleful strix
    3 snapcaster mage

Planeswalkers
    1 Ugin, the spirit dragon
    1 Nicol Bolas planeswalkers
    1 Jace, the mind Sculptor

Removal
    2 fatal push
    2 swords to plowshares
    1 supreme verdict
    2 vindicate
    1 diabolic edict

Cantrips
    3 ponder
    4 brainstorm

Discard
    4 cabal therapy
    3 Thoughtseize

Counter-magic
    4 force of will

Lands
    1 phyrexian tower
    1 karakas
    2 island
    1 swamp
    1 plains
    2 tundra
    3 underground sea
    1 scrubland
    4 flooded strand
    4 polluted delta
    1 marsh flats

SB
    1 spell pierce
    2 flusterstorm
    1 diabolic edict
    1 supreme verdict
    1 null rod
    2 disenchant
    1 echoing truth
    3 surgical extraction
    1 pithing needle
    1 back to basics
    1 bitterblossom
    Have you tested this deck out yet? Have you put up previous results with older builds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been playing my list for the past couple of days. The deck is very powerful, however it seems to struggle versus the grindy matchups like Miracles. I’m considering taking out the Jace and playing a Teferi. What do you all think?

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Been playing my list for the past couple of days. The deck is very powerful, however it seems to struggle versus the grindy matchups like Miracles. I’m considering taking out the Jace and playing a Teferi. What do you all think?

Hey, was on vacation so no updates, sorry. I did play around with my list and ended up moving the Bridges to the SB to add the teferi back and added the toxic deluge to the main as well. Then switched Nicol bolas to god-pharoah. Will post the entire list tomorrow.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

So here is the list I'm going to try for a while:

// Esper Rector

// 60 Maindeck
    // 10 Creature
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Arena Rector
    3 Baleful Strix

// 1 Enchantment
    1 Search for Azcanta

// 13 Instant
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Fatal Push
    4 Force of Will
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Echoing Truth

// 20 Land
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Island
    1 Phyrexian Tower
    1 Plains
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    1 Tundra
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Cavern of Souls

// 4 Planeswalker
    1 Teferi, Hero of Dominaria

// 12 Sorcery
    4 Ponder
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Toxic Deluge

// 15 Sideboard
    SB: 2 Ensnaring Bridge
    SB: 2 Containment Priest
    SB: 1 Vendilion Clique
    SB: 4 Leyline of Sanctity
    SB: 2 Disenchant
    SB: 3 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 1 Liliana, the Last Hope

I really wanted to try Nicol Bolas - God Pharaoh for the combo and control MUs. I figure Ugin can take care of opponents where there is a heavy board presence and god-pharaoh can do the rest. It isn't nearly as good as the other Nicol Bolas against show and tell so I did add teferi back in to deal with pesky larger or colorless permanents. So, I moved the ensnaring bridges to the board (it seemed like they were getting answered a lot anyway) and went from the 3/2 split of ponder and preordain back up to 4 ponder and 1 search for azcanta. The search should help in the Miracles MU and is just so good with teferi that it's hard not to play. I'll see how that goes. I might end up going back to the preordains though. Speaking of the Miracles MU, I haven't played it much but it seems like it should actually be a good MU. All of our main threats are planeswalkers, which are hard for them to deal with. I really haven't had any problems in the few times I've played it. Just make sure you are fetching basics and hold a discard spell for when you want to play the rector. The match up I've had some trouble with is the discard heavy decks like Grixis control. I'm going to try leyline of sanctity in the board to try to shore up that MU as well as STORM and burn. I'll see how that goes.

So here is the list I'm going to try for a while:

// Esper Rector

// 60 Maindeck
    // 10 Creature
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Arena Rector
    3 Baleful Strix

// 1 Enchantment
    1 Search for Azcanta

// 13 Instant
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Fatal Push
    4 Force of Will
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Echoing Truth

// 20 Land
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Island
    1 Phyrexian Tower
    1 Plains
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    1 Tundra
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Cavern of Souls

// 4 Planeswalker

// 12 Sorcery
    4 Ponder
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Toxic Deluge

// 15 Sideboard
    SB: 2 Ensnaring Bridge
    SB: 2 Containment Priest
    I like the changes. I've been considering Search for Azcanta. I found against miracles if they get counter balance out I tend to run out of cards as they are able to counter most of spells. I found Ensnaring Bridge to be awesome in the main, it's saved my A$$ more times than not. Teferi has been an ALL-Star, I took out a Jace for it. The sideboard I'm still trying to figure out. You might want to try Ethersworn Canonist in your side. That card has been great in a lot of the combo heavy matchups.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

I like the changes. I've been considering Search for Azcanta. I found against miracles if they get counter balance out I tend to run out of cards as they are able to counter most of spells. I found Ensnaring Bridge to be awesome in the main, it's saved my A$$ more times than not. Teferi has been an ALL-Star, I took out a Jace for it. The sideboard I'm still trying to figure out. You might want to try Ethersworn Canonist in your side. That card has been great in a lot of the combo heavy matchups.
    Yeah, I'm still struggling with bridge main vs SB. It feels kinda clunky but sometimes it can be very good. At three mana, it tends to get stepped or countered more easily. Depends on how popular Eldrazi stays.
    The other deck I play routinely is R/W painter, so I love me some canonist. However, in this deck it shuts off snapcaster so I ended up cutting it from my original list. Gonna see how these leylines work for now.

Yeah, I'm still struggling with bridge main vs SB. It feels kinda clunky but sometimes it can be very good. At three mana, it tends to get stepped or countered more easily. Depends on how popular Eldrazi stays.
    The other deck I play routinely is R/W painter, so I love me some canonist. However, in this deck it shuts off snapcaster so I ended up cutting it from my original list. Gonna see how these leylines work for now.

So you have a sideboarding guide? Also I want to put together a list of Cabal Therapy targets to blindly call out.

Have you tested this deck out yet? Have you put up previous results with older builds?
    This is the first time I really got to test the deck.
    Went 3-1 with it beating grixis shadow 2-0, maverick 2-1, and elves 2-1, but then losing to eldrazi 0-2.

Matchup 1 vs Grixis Death shadow: I was on the play.
    G1: came down to controlling the threats on board with my removal, and finishing the game with a rector into nicolbolas, stealing my opps deaths shadow while I was at 6 life, and then attacking with it for lethal the following turn.
    In:back to basics, echoing truth, spell pierce, bitterblossom
    Out: 3x Thoughtseize, arena rector,
    G2: he thoughtseized me taking rector, and then surgical extracted my rectors. Turn 3 or 4 I had bitterblossom and back to basics in my hand. I valued the creature generation over the ability to tap down his lands, so I lead with back to basics when he was just about tapped out which forced him to FOW my back to basics. I followed it up next turn with a bitterblossom which stuck. I then had enough creatures and removal to deal with his threats, and dealt enough damage with my creatures to win through his own self mutilation.

Matchup 2 vs Maverick: I was on the draw.
    G1: he went turn 2 gaddock teeg. I had an arena rector out on turn 4, but drew my ugin the turn I was going rector it into play (I also had Jace in hand). I ended up getting Nicol Bolas to take out his jitte, but he then played a sword of fire and ice which he attached to one of his creatures and was able to kill nicol in one attack phase. I had a chance in the next 2 turns if I could find a supreme verdict or brainstorm, but came up short.
    In: pithing needle, supreme verdict, 2 x disenchant, back to basics, 2 x surgical extraction, bitterblossom.
    Out: 3x Thoughtseize, diabolic edict, 4 x force of will
    G2: on the play. Game played out much smoother where my draws came together to where I was able to cabal therapy for swords to plowshares on turn 4, I missed, but he had a surgical extraction. I held a rector for next turn with a phyrexian tower in hand, So I played my snapcaster mage while tapped out and targeted ponder. No responses...Then flashed back therapy. not sure why opp didn't cast the surgical in response to the snapcaster, maybe he didn't think I was going to sac it to play the therapy? Could be lack of knowledge about my deck? I'm not sure, either way next turn I landed my rector, sacrificed it to the tower and got ugin. GG

G3:
    Opp mulled to 6, I kept 7
    He played a dryad arbor and passed, I played a fetch, went for a swamp and fatal pushed the arbor. Turn 2 he played a Savannah and passed. I played another fetch for an island and played a strix - pass, turn 3 he plays wasteland pass. I go scrubland vindicate the Savannah pass. He plays another wasteland, wastes my scrubland then passes. I playout another fetch, search for my plains, ponder, then cabal therapy him for surgical extraction. I miss, but he has 2 StP's. I gamble that he doesn't find a white source next turn, so I attack and pass. He misses his land drop, I play out rector flashback therapy naming stp get ugin and it's GG.

Match 3 vs Elves:
    Game 1:I was on the play, and I have have enough discard and spot removal to slow him down then draw into my supreme verdict to Wipe the rest of the creatures off of the board. He's down to 1 card in hand and I get my rector out, sac it and get ugin. He concedes.
    In: supreme verdict, echoing truth
    Out : Thoughtseize, diabolic edict
    Game 2: I mulled to 5, and he has a broken start and kills me turn 3.
    Game 3: basically the same scenario as game one.

Match 4 vs eldrazi stompy
    Game 1: he was on the play and goes turn 1 chalice and passed. My hand was filled with cantrips and spot removal. No good against chalice. I wait a few turns to see how the game develops before conceding.
    In: 2 x disenchant, supreme verdict, back to basics, echoing truth
    Out: 3 x Thoughtseize, ugin, 1 force of will
    Game 2: I lead off with a fetch and passed. He played an eye of ugin and a mimic then passed. Turn 2 I played another fetch played a strix and passed. He played a cavern of souls and a matter reshaper, and passed. Turn 3 I played an underground sea, pondered, shuffled and drew a card - still no removal- pass. He plays a sol land and endless one for 5, and attacks for his mimic and matter reshaper. I tradethe 5/5 mimic with my strix. Turn 4 I play arena rector and pass. I have no way to put it into the graveyard other than a block from an attack. He then casts dismember on the rector. And I concede.

All in all, the deck felt solid. The only match where I felt like I was truly out of it was eldrazi. I'm not sure if it's correct to be taking my discard out in so many matchups, but it seemed like the worst card. I'm not sure if my sideboarding was even correct in general. This was my first time taking her out for a spin, so It should only get better with time. I had a few opponents remark that the deck was really cool though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceralyst View Post
    This is the first time I really got to test the deck.
    Went 3-1 with it beating grixis shadow 2-0, maverick 2-1, and elves 2-1, but then losing to eldrazi 0-2.

Matchup 1 vs Grixis Death shadow: I was on the play.
    G1: came down to controlling the threats on board with my removal, and finishing the game with a rector into nicolbolas, stealing my opps deaths shadow while I was at 6 life, and then attacking with it for lethal the following turn.
    In:back to basics, echoing truth, spell pierce, bitterblossom
    Out: 3x Thoughtseize, arena rector,
    G2: he thoughtseized me taking rector, and then surgical extracted my rectors. Turn 3 or 4 I had bitterblossom and back to basics in my hand. I valued the creature generation over the ability to tap down his lands, so I lead with back to basics when he was just about tapped out which forced him to FOW my back to basics. I followed it up next turn with a bitterblossom which stuck. I then had enough creatures and removal to deal with his threats, and dealt enough damage with my creatures to win through his own self mutilation.

Matchup 2 vs Maverick: I was on the draw.
    G1: he went turn 2 gaddock teeg. I had an arena rector out on turn 4, but drew my ugin the turn I was going rector it into play (I also had Jace in hand). I ended up getting Nicol Bolas to take out his jitte, but he then played a sword of fire and ice which he attached to one of his creatures and was able to kill nicol in one attack phase. I had a chance in the next 2 turns if I could find a supreme verdict or brainstorm, but came up short.
    In: pithing needle, supreme verdict, 2 x disenchant, back to basics, 2 x surgical extraction, bitterblossom.
    Out: 3x Thoughtseize, diabolic edict, 4 x force of will
    G2: on the play. Game played out much smoother where my draws came together to where I was able to cabal therapy for swords to plowshares on turn 4, I missed, but he had a surgical extraction. I held a rector for next turn with a phyrexian tower in hand, So I played my snapcaster mage while tapped out and targeted ponder. No responses...Then flashed back therapy. not sure why opp didn't cast the surgical in response to the snapcaster, maybe he didn't think I was going to sac it to play the therapy? Could be lack of knowledge about my deck? I'm not sure, either way next turn I landed my rector, sacrificed it to the tower and got ugin. GG

G3:
    Opp mulled to 6, I kept 7
    He played a dryad arbor and passed, I played a fetch, went for a swamp and fatal pushed the arbor. Turn 2 he played a Savannah and passed. I played another fetch for an island and played a strix - pass, turn 3 he plays wasteland pass. I go scrubland vindicate the Savannah pass. He plays another wasteland, wastes my scrubland then passes. I playout another fetch, search for my plains, ponder, then cabal therapy him for surgical extraction. I miss, but he has 2 StP's. I gamble that he doesn't find a white source next turn, so I attack and pass. He misses his land drop, I play out rector flashback therapy naming stp get ugin and it's GG.

Match 3 vs Elves:
    Game 1:I was on the play, and I have have enough discard and spot removal to slow him down then draw into my supreme verdict to Wipe the rest of the creatures off of the board. He's down to 1 card in hand and I get my rector out, sac it and get ugin. He concedes.
    In: supreme verdict, echoing truth
    Out : Thoughtseize, diabolic edict
    Game 2: I mulled to 5, and he has a broken start and kills me turn 3.
    Game 3: basically the same scenario as game one.

Match 4 vs eldrazi stompy
    Game 1: he was on the play and goes turn 1 chalice and passed. My hand was filled with cantrips and spot removal. No good against chalice. I wait a few turns to see how the game develops before conceding.
    In: 2 x disenchant, supreme verdict, back to basics, echoing truth
    Out: 3 x Thoughtseize, ugin, 1 force of will
    Game 2: I lead off with a fetch and passed. He played an eye of ugin and a mimic then passed. Turn 2 I played another fetch played a strix and passed. He played a cavern of souls and a matter reshaper, and passed. Turn 3 I played an underground sea, pondered, shuffled and drew a card - still no removal- pass. He plays a sol land and endless one for 5, and attacks for his mimic and matter reshaper. I tradethe 5/5 mimic with my strix. Turn 4 I play arena rector and pass. I have no way to put it into the graveyard other than a block from an attack. He then casts dismember on the rector. And I concede.

All in all, the deck felt solid. The only match where I felt like I was truly out of it was eldrazi. I'm not sure if it's correct to be taking my discard out in so many matchups, but it seemed like the worst card. I'm not sure if my sideboarding was even correct in general. This was my first time taking her out for a spin, so It should only get better with time. I had a few opponents remark that the deck was really cool though.
    Nice write up. How do you like the back to basics in the side?

Having main deck Ensnaring Bridge will help sure up your Eldrazi matchup.

About ready to call it quits on this deck. I’m 15 Matches in and I have a match win rate of 25%. I will say my first game win rate is around 55%. What I’ve found with this deck is it tends to just shit on itself. The deck has terrible opening hands sometimes where you get all of your planswalkers. I’ve also noticed that any mana disruptive decks can really mess with our game plan. When the deck works it does so very well. The sideboard is a bit of a mess as well. I’m going to tweak the deck a little. But unless I start figuring out what the heck I’m doing wrong I may have to move on from this.

Here is my current list:

Maindeck (60)
    3 Baleful Strix
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Arena Rector

4 Brainstorm
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Fatal Push
    1 Innocent Blood
    3 Ponder
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Echoing Truth
    2 Supreme Verdict
    4 Force of Will
    2 Search for Azcanta

4 Flooded Strand
    3 Island
    1 Phyrexian Tower
    2 Plains
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    1 Tundra
    2 Underground Sea

Sideboard (15)
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    2 Flusterstorm
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Disenchant
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Massacre

Shared via TopDecked MTGhttps://www.topdecked.me/decks/0193f679-832d-4ede-b4b3-df4e79b43a79

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

About ready to call it quits on this deck. I’m 15 Matches in and I have a match win rate of 25%. I will say my first game win rate is around 55%. What I’ve found with this deck is it tends to just shit on itself. The deck has terrible opening hands sometimes where you get all of your planswalkers. I’ve also noticed that any mana disruptive decks can really mess with our game plan. When the deck works it does so very well. The sideboard is a bit of a mess as well. I’m going to tweak the deck a little. But unless I start figuring out what the heck I’m doing wrong I may have to move on from this.

Here is my current list:

Maindeck (60)
    3 Baleful Strix
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Arena Rector

4 Brainstorm
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Fatal Push
    1 Innocent Blood
    3 Ponder
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Echoing Truth
    2 Supreme Verdict
    4 Force of Will
    2 Search for Azcanta

4 Flooded Strand
    3 Island
    1 Phyrexian Tower
    2 Plains
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    1 Tundra
    2 Underground Sea

Sideboard (15)
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    2 Flusterstorm
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Disenchant
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Massacre

Shared via TopDecked MTGhttps://www.topdecked.me/decks/0193f679-832d-4ede-b4b3-df4e79b43a79

That's strange. I've still actually been doing really well with the deck and yesterday went undefeated against grixis shadow twice, RUG delver and d&t. Just make sure you Mulligan appropriately and fetch basics. I will say the leylines have been really good as a lot of people are on discard with all the shadow decks now popular. The first thing I would tell you is increase your can trip count to increase consistency. In your list I would take out 1 search for azcanta and maybe move one of your removal spells to the board for 2 preordain. That will help you find lands or necessary answers to things.

One other change I am trying right now is 2 copies of collective brutality. So I am on...
    2 x thoughtseize
    2 x collective brutality
    4 x cabal therapy

Another thing I was thinking about was the Japanese style semi-transformational SB with 4 x thing in the ice and 2-3 x v.clique. this would be good against creature heavy decks.

Anyway, hope you have better luck.

That's strange. I've still actually been doing really well with the deck and yesterday went undefeated against grixis shadow twice, RUG delver and d&t. Just make sure you Mulligan appropriately and fetch basics. I will say the leylines have been really good as a lot of people are on discard with all the shadow decks now popular. The first thing I would tell you is increase your can trip count to increase consistency. In your list I would take out 1 search for azcanta and maybe move one of your removal spells to the board for 2 preordain. That will help you find lands or necessary answers to things.

One other change I am trying right now is 2 copies of collective brutality. So I am on...
    2 x thoughtseize
    2 x collective brutality
    4 x cabal therapy

Another thing I was thinking about was the Japanese style semi-transformational SB with 4 x thing in the ice and 2-3 x v.clique. this would be good against creature heavy decks.

Anyway, hope you have better luck.

Do you think it would be too radical of a move to play 8 Leylines in the board? Sounds like in the currently meta I could just side out 4 force of wills and just play 4 of whatever Leyline is better for the matchup. Thoughts?

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Continuing to work on the deck. Here is my current list:

// Esper Rector

// 60 Maindeck
    // 10 Creature
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Arena Rector
    3 Baleful Strix

// 14 Instant
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Fatal Push
    4 Force of Will
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Echoing Truth

// 20 Land
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Island
    1 Phyrexian Tower
    1 Plains
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    1 Tundra
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Cavern of Souls

// 3 Planeswalker

// 13 Sorcery
    3 Ponder
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Preordain
    1 Collective Brutality (probably swapping for a board sweep such as supreme verdict or deluge or a bridge)

// 15 Sideboard

SB: 2 Ensnaring Bridge (may do 1/1 split with a Dread of Night)
    SB: 1 Containment Priest
    SB: 1 Lost Legacy

Deck is still performing well overall. I did notice a real problem with Eldrazi Post decks. So, reverted back to Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker and cut the Teferi and Search for Azcanta...again. The deck really needs consistency so I'm up to 4 brainstorm, 3 ponder, 2 preordain. I actually really like the preordain since it buries the planewalkers you don't want to draw. In that sense it's almost better than ponder. Of course ponder just lets you see more cards. I did add a collective brutality as a combo creature removal/discard spell and it's been pretty good. It can also kill a rector which is something I like. However, may need more of a mass creature control card there like verdict/deluge/bridge. Am also trying lost legacy in the board as it helps shore up combo matchups, gets Ulamogs out of the eldrazi post decks and doubles as graveyard hate for things like loam, bridge from below, ichorid, etc.

BTW, I am planning on going to GP Richmond and will either be on this deck or painter, and right now this deck is performing much better.

@covenantelite: I did see your PM and replied.

I really want Arena Rector to be a thing, and for the most part, I like where you are going with your list. However, I find it pretty ambitious to only play 20 lands when the entire gameplan is to resolve a 4-drop. Do you ever find yourself short on lands?

EDIT: Also, I think it is wrong not to play the full 3 Strix. That card is secretly the best card in Legacy, and playing anything less than 4 just seems wrong.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Rook1e View Post
    I really want Arena Rector to be a thing, and for the most part, I like where you are going with your list. However, I find it pretty ambitious to only play 20 lands when the entire gameplan is to resolve a 4-drop. Do you ever find yourself short on lands?

EDIT: Also, I think it is wrong not to play the full 3 Strix. That card is secretly the best card in Legacy, and playing anything less than 4 just seems wrong.

I will say that I keep a lot of 1-2 land hands just because I have a lot of cantrips in the deck. I mostly fetch for basics so I usually don't get wasted out. It would be resonable to go down to 8 cantrips (not counting strix) and add a 21st land if you wanted to. I honestly haven't had that much of an issue so far though. In fact, I just finished beating goblins 2-0 and in game one kept a one lander but had 3 cantrips in my opener.

As for strix, yes, a very good card but given the amount of creature removal most decks play, it is only live against my strix and snapcaster so mine don't stay on the board very long. Not to mention Liliana, the last hope is getting really popular again and strix just sucks against her. Honestly, I just don't have the room for the 4th.

Also, I am definitely cutting the brutality for a deluge in the main.

I will say that I keep a lot of 1-2 land hands just because I have a lot of cantrips in the deck. I mostly fetch for basics so I usually don't get wasted out. It would be resonable to go down to 8 cantrips (not counting strix) and add a 21st land if you wanted to. I honestly haven't had that much of an issue so far though. In fact, I just finished beating goblins 2-0 and in game one kept a one lander but had 3 cantrips in my opener.

As for strix, yes, a very good card but given the amount of creature removal most decks play, it is only live against my strix and snapcaster so mine don't stay on the board very long. Not to mention Liliana, the last hope is getting really popular again and strix just sucks against her. Honestly, I just don't have the room for the 4th.

Also, I am definitely cutting the brutality for a deluge in the main.
    How's the deck been performing? I'm going to be taking this deck to a 1k I have at the end of the month. Still not set on the specific configurations yet. Have you ran this deck through any leagues online yet?

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Played the deck again at my LGS last night. Went 3-1 but tie breakers got me into top 4 so cashed. Beat nyx fit, jeskai stoneblade and grixis control and lost to infect in 3. Played sloppy but learned a lot about valuing cards and sequencing lands. Will post my newest list and more details tomorrow. Best compliment I got was from grixis player saying "I've never seen this deck. I have no idea how to even play against it". Think I'll be running it at GP. However, bad news is i did lose a game against jeskai AFTER resolving a rector trigger.

Thread Information