Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Esper Arena Rector (Esper friends/Esper gladiators)

Aug 2010
    Belgium

Re: Esper Arena Rector (Esper friends/Esper gladiators)

Looking forward to your new decklist and comments

My list in testing right now
    61 cards:

22 Lands

3 strand
    3 delta
    2 heath
    2 trop
    2 tundra
    2 u sea
    1 savannah
    1 scrubland
    1 plains
    1 swamp
    1 island
    1 phyrexian tower
    1 karakas
    1 cavern

12 Creatures

1 snapcaster
    3 strix
    4 noble hierarch
    4 arena rector

24 Spells

4 force of will
    2 pierce
    1 counterspell
    4 BS
    3 ponder
    4 StP
    2 cabal therapy
    2 tendrils of despair
    1 fatal push
    1 crop rotation

3 PW

1 Jace
    1 Ugin
    1 Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker

SB
    3 mentor (or maybe TNN?)
    2 thoughtseize
    2 zealous persecution
    2 surgical
    1 graffdigger's cage
    1 ground seal
    2 flusterstorm
    2 krosan grip

Green splash for crop rotation and nobles to get our rector faster and with cavern for miracles and counter heavy games. Maybe I will cut a ponder to get down to 60 cards. Nobles, Snapcaster, and Rector are all human for cavern. It was originially birds, but I felt that black was not as important as much as a higher chance to get the dork.

I want mentor or TNN in the deck to speed up the clock and shift gears if I need. Maybe that is the wrong play for the deck. Maybe is should be some utility walkers like Elspeth, Sun's Champion or Liliana, Veil or Last Hope, These are still possible, but not as game-winning in some regards. SB Is kind of bogus. I think ground swell is important because it allows rector triggers to still happen while blanking their cards. Maybe adding a Supreme Verdict would be good in the board.

May 2013
    Paris, France

For the record: you can bolt your own rector with Ugin to get Bolas on the board.

Happened quite a few times.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Here's my newest list:

// Esper Rector

// 60 Maindeck

3 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Arena Rector
    3 Baleful Strix
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Fatal Push
    4 Force of Will
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Murderous Cut
    3 Ponder
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Preordain
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Island
    1 Phyrexian Tower
    1 Plains
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    1 Tundra
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Cavern of Souls
    1 Volcanic Island

// 15 Sideboard

SB: 2 Ensnaring Bridge
    SB: 1 Null Rod
    SB: 1 Containment Priest
    SB: 1 Vendilion Clique
    SB: 4 Leyline of Sanctity
    SB: 1 Disenchant
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    SB: 1 Lost Legacy
    SB: 1 Toxic Deluge

Swapped out a fatal push for a murderous cut as more of a catch all and something that plays around Sanctum Prelate and still hits angler while more easily hitting my rector. Added my 21st land (volcanic island to hard cast Nicol bolas. It's come up a couple times), cutting the collective brutality. Sideboard is a little different as well as I'm trying to fortify the Eldrazi matchup some.

mtggoldfish has put on this list

Creatures (10)
    4 Veteran Explorer
    3 Academy Rector
    3 Arena Rector
    Planeswalkers (5)
    1 Karn Liberated
    1 Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh
    2 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
    Spells (15)
    4 Cabal Therapy
    1 Thoughtseize
    3 Collective Brutality
    4 Living Wish
    3 Eureka
    Enchantments (8)
    1 Evolutionary Leap
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Curse of Death's Hold
    1 Dovescape
    1 Cruel Reality
    1 Overwhelming Splendor
    1 Sandwurm Convergence
    1 Omniscience
    Lands (22)
    1 Ancient Tomb
    2 Bayou
    4 Forest
    2 Phyrexian Tower
    1 Plains
    1 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Windswept Heath

Sideboard (15)
    1 Cavern of Souls
    1 Karakas
    1 Phyrexian Tower
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Reclamation Sage
    1 Academy Rector
    1 Arena Rector
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

I tried it and I must say that it runs very well

Oct 2017
    NYC

I've been monitoring this thread for a while, and decided to put the deck together. I sleeved up @drude1's latest list without any changes.

Made the unwise decision to play the deck at a local monthly tournament having only done a handful of goldfishing, thus I was really figuring out the deck as I went. So, unsurprisingly, I didn't do particularly well, but I did better than expected honestly. First game was against D&T, and drew (only 5 min to try for game 3 and got into pretty even stalled boardstate, but overall MU seems good). Then beat UB Shadow (stole DS with both us of at 3 and he only had an angler otherwise, then blind hit 2x gurmag with a T2 therapy in G2). Lost to Grixis Delver in 2 (bitterblossom MD was lights out), then lost to an esper control deck in 3 (Search/Lingering Souls/Jace proved very hard to deal with), lost against Grixis Control in 2 (LtLH was a huge problem), and got a bye for final round.

Deck was TONS of fun, and I plan to keep going with it for the forseeable future. However, I have some questions for anyone that's played the deck more than I have.

1) How are you all dealing with go-wide strategies? Bitterblossom/LtLH/Souls/etc all wrecked me. Maybe I shouldn't take out the thoughtseize G2/G3 as much, but I really felt like I wanted more sweepers or general permanent removal frequently. Otherwise it seems like FoW, or Echoing Truth + Therapy are the only options.

2) How do you board against Grixis Control (and other MUs you want the leylines for anti-discard)? I swapped thoughtseizes and a FoW for the 4 leylines to blank their added discard, but then got wrecked by the go-wide cards.

3) @drude1, can you explain why you went down to 1 Tower when you originally had 2? I didn't have much trouble getting to 4 mana, but did have trouble getting to 5 in time (so I could TS/Therapy the turn I try to go off or cast rector and push/cut/etc). So the more frequent ramp potential seems really enticing to me. Was it purely to reduce wasteland hits? Or does the ramp not work out in practice how good it seems in theory?

4) Also, @drude1, I'm curious to hear more detail on your switch from terminus to more spot removal...where I'm sitting with my limited experience is that having more sweepers seems so necessary with so many people running these go-wide cards MD.

I'll be running it again at my usual weekly tonight with just a few changes. Planeswalkers/Enchantments being frequent trouble, I'm going to try Councils' Judgement instead of Cut. I'm not sold on the Volc as so far I've never gotten to 8 lands anyway, and since I didn't seem to have mana screw issues with all the cantrips, I'll try running just 20 lands and put in a Deluge MD. Only SB change I'm trying is a 2nd LtLH in place of 4th Leyline. As she buys back a discarded Rector it seems to somewhat serve a similar purpose and she's either a great alt win-con, or guaranteed counter bait to clear the way for next turn Rector.

Anyway, thanks to all for the work put into this esper version so far!

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Sorry I haven't been contributing much to the thread recently. Been busy with other endeavors. Anyway, I did end up playing the deck at the Richmond GP and didn't do very well. What I realized is that, although the deck is generally very good at controlling the board, it's a little short on win conditions and sometimes planeswalkers alone don't get the job done. Had one MU against Merfolk in particular where my opponent couldn't keep any creature on the board but ended up killing me with man-lands. So, I've since made a couple changes as well. Primarily I added back the 2 monastery mentors to the main, cutting one rector and one snapcaster. I also did work a search for azcanta back into the main, cutting 1 preordain. Finally, I changed SB around quite a bit. I cut the leylines again to add flusterstorms, back to basics and 2 bridges. This is my current SB:

1 containment priest
    1 vendilion clique
    2 flusterstorm
    3 surgical extraction (would consider cutting one for the lost legacy, depending on meta)
    2 disenchant
    1 null rod
    2 ensnaring bridge
    1 liliana, the last hope
    1 toxic deluge
    1 back to basics

Kinda wanting to move the echoing truth to the board and playing one main engineered explosives as well.

@deragun:

Glad you at least enjoyed yourself playing the deck:). As for your questions...
    1. go wide strategies - This is part of the reason I wanted the mentors. board sweepers aren't that great unless you are playing against elves or goblins. Sources like bitterblossom just start over. The most obvious answer is Ugin. Ugin is by far the most common planeswalker I fetch with rector as it always turns around a bad position. bridges and deluge also help out of the SB if you are getting swarmed quickly. Most popular strategies in legacy now though like delver or death's shadow are best dealt with using spot removal. This is why I didn't like terminus in my initial testing. I would rather just use spot removal as needed than trying to set up the perfect terminus. As for siding out thoughtseize, I never ever do this. In fact, another idea I'm playing with is cutting down to 3 FoW for 4 thoughtseize. The card has been really impressive and makes the therapies so much better.

2. against Grixis control - this was probably the main reason I was playing leylines as they are really good against that deck. Having said that, with my current build I usually bring in back to basics, liliana, and 2 flusterstorm and cut a couple FoWs, the search and maybe the preordain. Try to fluster or hide your important cards against their discard. They don't have a whole lot of threats so usually you can control their side of the board until we hit a rector or planeswalker. This is probably the matchup that I have straight out hardcast the Nicol Bolas (did it in a match today) and why I still play with a volcanic in the deck.

3. why 1 tower - I went down to 1 tower because it's mostly a colorless mana. That and it dies to wasteland and back to basics, both of which are really gaining in popularity. Right now my lands look like this:

9 fetches
    3 island
    2 swamp
    1 plains
    4 duals (one of each color combo plus the volcanic.)
    1 tower
    1 Cavern of Souls
    (1 Search for Azcanta)

This is 21.5 lands by my calculation. If I were to cut a land it would be the volcanic to add another preordain so that I can find my land drops. I was just finding that occasionally I would be getting land screwed. Don't think I would cut a land for another "business spell" though. I don't feel like I have to get to 5 land as I like to strip my opponent's hand with thoughtseize/therapy on the first couple turns while killing their creatures and cantriping and then drop an answer on turn 4, either a rector with flashback therapy or mentor plus spell to make a monk. Obviously not every game goes like this but that's best case scenario. I don't know what piece of ramp I would play. I certainly don't want to add green just for a mana dork. I like playing more of a control style game (like Miracles) for the first few turns and just don't miss land drops if possible.

4. terminus switch - think i addressed this above.

If I implement all the changes I want, this would be my most current list:
    // Esper Rector

// 60 Maindeck
    // 1 Artifact
    1 Engineered Explosives

// 10 Creature
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    3 Arena Rector
    3 Baleful Strix
    2 Monastery Mentor

// 1 Enchantment
    1 Search for Azcanta

// 13 Instant
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Fatal Push
    4 Force of Will
    3 Swords to Plowshares

// 21 Land
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Island
    1 Phyrexian Tower
    1 Plains
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    1 Tundra
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Cavern of Souls
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Marsh Flats

// 3 Planeswalker

// 11 Sorcery
    3 Ponder
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Preordain

// 15 Sideboard

SB: 2 Ensnaring Bridge
    SB: 1 Null Rod
    SB: 1 Vendilion Clique
    SB: 1 Back to Basics
    SB: 3 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 2 Flusterstorm
    SB: 1 Echoing Truth
    SB: 1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    SB: 1 Toxic Deluge

Hello
    I’m putting this together due to how many uw decks there are right now. This deck most certainly should beat up the control mirror while still being decent versus the rest of the field.
    My plan is to play only strix and rectors mainboard. Strix are great vs fair and can Flashback therapy versus unfair.
    I dont think the main plan is good vs unfair though, thus 3 mentors and 2 cb will be in the board. Im planning on only playing Ugin as a high end PW and Teferi as a castable PW. Then 2 Jace and 2 last hopes.

Oct 2017
    NYC

@JackaBo

That seems like it could work to me. Vs Shadow I haven't found Ugin to be too good as they usually can get a shadow and gurmag out by the time we can sac a rector, and then the options are symmetical board wipe, or they keep an angler. I've been instead going for NB, Pwkr to steal the larger of the 2 (depending on your life total), and have won all 3 matches I've faced so far with this line. But Teferi's -3 might be a good enough replacement if you have a fast enough clock otherwise.

Also, I completely agree with @drude1's assessment that previous versions of the list need a few more threats. You might want 1-2 of the mentors main. I unlocked a new life achievement last week while running the mentor-less version....a G1 draw vs Miracles. We just kept trading back and forth. I dealt with 2 near ult ready Jaces in time, and by the time he got the 3rd online, he had to ult himself to keep his library from fully depleting. He had 1 card in his library after drawing on turn 5 of turns. With the added threats of Mentor/LtLH this should be shored up.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Yeah, I really think you are going to want one of the bolas' main. If you are worried about non-fair decks like STORM, etc, then play NB God-Pharaoh so you can just have them start discarding 2 a turn. NB, planeswalker is really good against creature-cheat decks like reanimator and show and tell. They play show and tell. You drop rector and next turn steal their fatty. I've done it many times. I do actually like Teferi quite a bit as well and wouldn't begrudge anyone for playing it. I've gone back and forth. If you are playing that many planeswalkers you might be able to get by with the mentors in the SB but you definitely want them somewhere. Definitely interested in what you come up with.

Thanks for the feedback. Regarding NB how often have you been annoyed with not being able hade cast him?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

I actually play a Volcanic in my list so that I can hard cast him. It doesn't come up a ton but it does definitely come up. I was also gonna mention that NB is definitely you're premature path of winning against eldrazi decks which is one of the deck's worst match ups.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Oct 2017
    NYC

Figured I'd put in an update as I've been running the deck at my local weekly since my last posts. I have yet to face Eldrazi myself, but I can say in my experience many artifact heavy decks can be a pretty bad matchup as well. I've lost to both Stax and Mono-R Painter where it didn't feel like I had much of a shot due to lack of ability to interact. But otherwise I feel like I'm getting a better handle on the deck, and many other matchups feel pretty good.

Last night I went 3-0 (4-0 if you count a for fun match before tournament started). I was able to beat a weathered wayfarer/fathom seer based UW Blade list (in 3, G2 he got double TNN out too quick for me to race), then beat D&T, and finally beat Legacy Humans. Mentor has been critical in so many ways. Baited out FoW for a clear Rector next turn, one of my wins against D&T was by winning the race with Mentor/Monk beats, and it let me stall the game long enough to find an answer G3 against D&T where he landed a RIP T4. The for fun match was against UW delver and was able to win in 2.

I've been running the latest list @Drude1 posted with 1 difference. I don't have a Search for Azcanta, so I'm running the 4th rector instead. All 3 decks I faced last night were wasteland decks, and I really didn't feel any trouble developing my mana, so for now I think I like keeping the 4th Rector.

Now I just can't wait until they print a planeswalker with either a + ability that destroys/takes control of a colorless permanent, or has a board wipe effect for colorless permanents!

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Nice finish! I'm still playing the deck and it had been performing well. I've actually been going back and forth between playing the mentors in the main vs the board. Having them in the boards makes the deck feel a little more "transitional" as sometimes opponents with cut some creature removal after game one if they haven't seen the mentors. They almost always come in games post-sideboard though. I might do a one/one split. I have been playing with Liliana in the main as she is just really good. Hey interaction with snapcasters and strixes in the yard is really good. I have also been having better luck against eldrazi lately. The back to basics and null Rod are important. Would consider playing a second null Rod in the board. It's been really good. Haven't been playing any paper tournaments lately but I am going to eternal weekend. Just not sure what I'm playing yet.

Been playing this list for a while now to good results. Locally the deck almost never loses, though online I run into a lot more dazes/wastelands so my results are more even. Oddly enough I have yet to play against miracles or grixis control online despite them being very popular decks.

Code:
    Land (19)
    4x Flooded Strand
    2x Island
    1x Marsh Flats
    1x Phyrexian Tower
    1x Plains
    4x Polluted Delta
    1x Scrubland
    1x Swamp
    2x Tundra
    2x Underground Sea
    Instant (11)
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Force of Will
    3x Spell Pierce
    Sorcery (15)
    4x Cabal Therapy
    2x Inquisition of Kozilek
    4x Ponder
    4x Preordain
    1x Thoughtseize
    Planeswalker (4)
    1x Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1x Liliana, the Last Hope
    1x Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
    1x Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
    Creature (11)
    4x Arena Rector
    4x Baleful Strix
    1x Recruiter of the Guard
    2x Snapcaster Mage
    Sideboard (15)
    1x Containment Priest
    1x Council's Judgment
    1x Disenchant
    1x Elspeth, Sun's Champion
    1x Engineered Explosives
    1x Ensnaring Bridge
    1x Flusterstorm
    2x Monastery Mentor
    1x Nihil Spellbomb
    2x Surgical Extraction
    2x Swords to Plowshares
    1x Toxic Deluge
    https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/espe...ector-control/

Recently I've been considering moving Lili last hope to the sideboard for more discard spells, removing council's judgment entirely for something like Echoing Truth, and removing Elspeth (it's only really intended vs Eldrazi or decks that load up on Pyroblast, but it is so marginal). I'm also seriously considering getting rid of Baleful Strix for Lotus Petal or Accumulated Knowledge, though I'm not sure about it yet.

Had some fun in particular against Reanimator, which is a very good matchup.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Awesome that someone else is still on this. I've been playing it a good amount in the practice room and still doing well with it as well. Your list is a little different. I am running more lands and 4 x swords to plowshares main. Your aren't getting Mana screwed on that land count?

I initially had 20 lands with 4 ponder/4 brainstorm, but decided I needed more consistency so went to 19 lands with 16 cantrips (4 preordain added) instead, cutting a fetch/jace/2 collective brutality. I typically only get mana screwed if an opponent opens on turn 1 chalice of the void or has multiple wasteland/rishadan port, but it's still less common than it was when the deck had 0 preordain and 20 lands.

I did see a player stream some competitive leagues with a list that had 4 STP and was less focused on Arena Rector, which is definitely a viable option, but I don't see a major need for STP maindeck - it's mostly in there to beat Marit Lage or disrupt something like a Griselbrand. You really don't need any removal other than Ugin or Bolas in most matchups, which is why the deck is built around a lot more hand and spell disruption instead. I'd highly recommend the list, as I typically only feel the need to modify a small number of cards from it after dozens of matches. I have gone 4-1 in 3 competitive leagues with the list so far out of 6 leagues played, so close to a few trophies but had some disastrous luck that kept the 5th win away. Maybe I'll stream some leagues as well in the near future.

My results and statistics are listed here, both for paper and mtgo: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t#gid=81442632

Got a 3-2 earlier today and a 4-1 just now against some great competition.

Having 8 discard spells and 3 pierce main has really helped a lot. My stats show that aggro (delver, dnt, goblins) is unfavorable in general, which isn't too surprising. It's kind of leading me toward trying out Lotus Petal in place of Baleful Strix, since the strix often does nothing (mom, piledriver, or instantly gets hit by spot removal game 1). I'd also really rather opponents not leave in Abrupt Decays or push/stp because I want to bring in Mentor and other 3 cost permanents. I'll have to test it out, but it should help a lot against daze/wasteland and just faster decks that don't interact on the stack. I'm also considering adding an extra sweeper to the sideboard, since many of the aggro matches come down to either getting a deluge or ugin.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

@Oophidian: Sorry it's been quite a while since I've been active on this board. I've actually been playing the deck quite a bit, mostly because it is definitely the deck I have the best win percentage with. My list is a little different than yours. I do like the Recruiter of the Guard tech and have been playing that for a while. I may however switch it out for 1 x Lim Dul's Vault. We'll see. Here is my current list:

// Esper Rector

// 60 Maindeck

// 10 Creature
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    3 Arena Rector
    3 Baleful Strix
    1 Monastery Mentor
    1 Recruiter of the Guard

// 11 Instant
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    3 Swords to Plowshares

// 14 Sorcery
    3 Ponder
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Thoughtseize
    3 Preordain
    1 Council's Judgement

// 4 Planeswalker
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope

// 21 Land
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Island
    2 Phyrexian Tower
    2 Plains
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Scrubland
    1 Swamp
    1 Tundra
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Cavern of Souls
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Marsh Flats

// 15 Sideboard

SB: 3 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 2 Flusterstorm
    SB: 1 Echoing Truth
    SB: 2 Stoneforge Mystic
    SB: 1 Umezawa's Jitte
    SB: 1 Batterskull
    SB: 1 Supreme Verdict
    SB: 1 Damping Sphere (trying this as a card against storm and Eldrazi. Vote's not in)
    SB: 1 Terminus

I really only side in the batterskull against burn or Miracles so I might cut it for something else. Might want a pithing needle/spyglass. You don't find you are having difficulty against creature based decks? Looks like you lost to ninjas. I've been focusing more of my SB against those kinds of MUs. Anyway, that's where I'm at these days.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...nge-2019-02-11

This list got top 16 in the challenge:

Planeswalker (4)
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    Creature (8)
    3 Arena Rector
    3 Baleful Strix
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    Sorcery (14)
    4 Cabal Therapy
    1 Council's Judgment
    3 Ponder
    3 Preordain
    3 Thoughtseize
    Instant (12)
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Diabolic Edict
    4 Force of Will
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    Land (21)
    1 Cavern of Souls
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Island
    1 Marsh Flats
    2 Phyrexian Tower
    2 Plains
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Scrubland
    1 Swamp
    1 Tundra
    2 Underground Sea
    Other (1)
    1 Lim-DA?l's Vault
    60 Cards
    Sideboard (15)
    1 Containment Priest 1 Damping Sphere 1 Disenchant 1 Echoing Truth 2 Ensnaring Bridge 2 Flusterstorm 1 Monastery Mentor 1 Null Rod 1 Supreme Verdict 3 Surgical Extraction 1 Unmoored Ego

Thread Information