Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Is 23% of the top spot too much for one deck? How about two?

Re: Is 23% of the top spot too much for one deck? How about two?

Quote Originally Posted by Bithlord View Post
    I forgot that TNN has a blank text box, and is just a vanilla beater. [cloud spirit] was dominating for so long, I can't believe it got replaced by something without flying. It must be TNN's ability to block that pushes it over cloud spirit.
    It basically is a vanilla beater that resists spot removal and blocks really well. In the grand scheme of things, if your deck can’t beat a True-name, it’s not a well built deck.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

That's such a disingenuous and poor-faith mode of engaging in a conversation.
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

I have a feeling that part of the problem is the number of people who started playing Legacy relatively recently. Their expectations for the format are vastly different from those of folks who've been playing it for 5-10 years. Thus, when the latter crowd says "this is unhealthy, or at least less than ideal," the former thinks they're crazy because the format has been like this in some way or another for years.

If this has been said before, I apologize.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Quote Originally Posted by bakofried View Post
    I have a feeling that part of the problem is the number of people who started playing Legacy relatively recently. Their expectations for the format are vastly different from those of folks who've been playing it for 5-10 years. Thus, when the latter crowd says "this is unhealthy, or at least less than ideal," the former thinks they're crazy because the format has been like this in some way or another for years.

The opportunities for new approaches has been narrowed down by all that power creeped stuff (TNN, Leo, Delver, Snap, Terminus, Grisel) though. From my perspective the space for innovation wasn't as restricted when Tarmogoyf was still considered the state of the art creature...

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    @JackaBo: I think everyone knows Counterbalance creates insurmountable one-sided advantage, it was only a matter of time before people rediscovered that simple truth. The issue is that the months where CB was almost non-existent people realized they could get away with SCM and cheap interactive spells not called Abrupt Decay; but it was Hymn's monolithic adoption by that strategy that is the real cause for pushing out every other non-Vial or non-Delver fair deck. Grixis Delver is always going to get rolled by Terminus & SCM/StP, and when the only other fair strategy left to care about (Czech), it doesn't take a genius to figure out you have to stay off-board with non-enchantments and concentrate value in the top card of the deck - and suddenly miracles with Counterbalance is tier one again. Now your non-competitive fair deck [again b/c of Czech] has to slow down and run Decay again [for CB] and Hymn is now even better against you, as you're that much slower at putting cards from hand onto the table.
    ---
    This cycle really doesn't have anything to do with Grixis Delver, even though Git. Probe is a load of bull-crap. Even though CB is the most bannable card in legacy, that ban doesn't stop the above cycle (UW Standstill is just as effective at steamrolling either member of this 23% of the meta, and that status quo wouldn't really change). Like most issues, we're describing problems that arose from fetchlands, which won't be banned (b/c they won't reprint duals). If you want to tackle this over-representation issue, Hymn is probably the safest target. You could hit DRS of course, but I don't know how much you really want to try and make new fair decks against Stifle/Wasteland and Loam/Strip Mine - and even in that setting you're just asking for Counterbalance to be an even greater problem, so good luck brewing around a deck that pretty much has to run Decay without DRS mana fixing....I mean, there's not even a legacy playable, generically usable 1-drop creature for in the runner up slot.
    I haven't though of hymn to be the perpetrator but maybe it is. I guess i should spend more time trying to break counterbalance, that card is nuts indeed.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

I have a feeling that part of the problem is the number of people who started playing Legacy relatively recently. Their expectations for the format are vastly different from those of folks who've been playing it for 5-10 years.
    The major difference might be that the newer players don't know that Legacy was much more open in terms of card and color variety before the Innistrad Block turned Legacy into a derp-fest introducing Miracle, Griselbrand, Delver & Co directly followed by Ravnica which had DRS + Abrupt Decay. These two blocks just flipturned the whole Legacy metagame and resulted into the stale meta we had since then with a short period of madness in 2014-2015 which was Treasure Cruise + Dig Through Time.

So if you started within the last 6 years, you never really knew how the format looked like before it degenerated into BUG vs rest. Only the freaking Delve spells delivered some format variance with Patriot, UR Delver, SnT, etc at that time, before the bannings of TC & DTT reverted the format to BUG vs Miracles. With the ban of SDT, we are now down to a one-core-format with endless "mirror" matches in each coverage streamed. It's a boring status quo for old and new players i guess.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    The major difference might be that the newer players don't know that Legacy was much more open in terms of card and color variety before the Innistrad Block turned Legacy into a derp-fest introducing Miracle, Griselbrand, Delver & Co directly followed by Ravnica which had DRS + Abrupt Decay. These two blocks just flipturned the whole Legacy metagame and resulted into the stale meta we had since then with a short period of madness in 2014-2015 which was Treasure Cruise + Dig Through Time.

So if you started within the last 6 years, you never really knew how the format looked like before it degenerated into BUG vs rest. Only the freaking Delve spells delivered some format variance with Patriot, UR Delver, SnT, etc at that time, before the bannings of TC & DTT reverted the format to BUG vs Miracles. With the ban of SDT, we are now down to a one-core-format with endless "mirror" matches in each coverage streamed. It's a boring status quo for old and new players i guess.
    I'm personally sad because I started watching legacy a few months after WWK came out and it was so cool so I started picking up cards for it. Then by the time I had a deck finally after Avacyn came out the shift had begun
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I'm personally sad because I started watching legacy a few months after WWK came out and it was so cool so I started picking up cards for it. Then by the time I had a deck finally after Avacyn came out the shift had begun
    It was Zendikar which imo kickstarted the creature powercreep and it was a glorious time with Kight of the Reliquary, Wild Nacatl, Gaddock Teeg & Co effectively rivaling the blue shell for a short time until the Survival + Vengevine shit broke lose, followed by Innistrad, which also had Thalia, which i forgot to list earlier.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    It was Zendikar which imo kickstarted the creature powercreep and it was a glorious time with Kight of the Reliquary, Wild Nacatl, Gaddock Teeg & Co effectively rivaling the blue shell for a short time until the Survival + Vengevine shit broke lose, followed by Innistrad, which also had Thalia, which i forgot to list earlier.
    Uh, KOTR and Nacatl came out in Alara. As did other fun things like Lotus Cobra. Alara's long felt like a watershed moment for the game, IMO. Lorwyn was new creatures but somehow still old-ish sensibilities. Alara was where the game entered a new era proper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Uh, KOTR and Nacatl came out in Alara. As did other fun things like Lotus Cobra. Alara's long felt like a watershed moment for the game, IMO. Lorwyn was new creatures but somehow still old-ish sensibilities. Alara was where the game entered a new era proper.
    Lotus Cobra has landfall, it's from Zendikar. As for that watershed moment I wouldn't blame Alara I blame the core set around it. Everything in Alara was something I've seen before except maybe Nicol Bolas and Progenitus. Now Baneslayer Angel? That's the new magic.

So established Legacy players are the equivalent of old men yelling at children to get off their lawn? Cause that's what this format needs now more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by WashableWater1 View Post
    It basically is a vanilla beater that resists spot removal and blocks really well. In the grand scheme of things, if your deck can’t beat a True-name, it’s not a well built deck.
    I'm not going to dispute either of those statements, really, but TNN is WAY more than 'just a 3/1 beater" specifically because it resists spot removal and blocks really well [also, you forgot to mention that it is unblockable].

Tarmogoyf, the unplayable, was actually just a big beater. TNN is much more than just a big beater.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    You're right. Brainfart. I'm sorry

Join us at Facebook!

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Apparently brainfarted myself and confused Alara and Zendikar :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Brainfarts for everyone!

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Quote Originally Posted by NeckBird View Post
    So established Legacy players are the equivalent of old men yelling at children to get off their lawn? Cause that's what this format needs now more than anything else.
    If I seem to imply that, my apologies; but no, that's not my intent. I just remember when "strategic diversity" was what we laughed at Vintage players for talking up. No offense to them, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Brainfarts for everyone!
    Brainfart. {1}. You may not use U to play this. Look at the bottom three cards of your opponents deck. You may put any number of them on top of your opponents deck in any order. return the rest to the bottom of your opponents deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bithlord View Post
    I'm not going to dispute either of those statements, really, but TNN is WAY more than 'just a 3/1 beater" specifically because it resists spot removal and blocks really well [also, you forgot to mention that it is unblockable].

Tarmogoyf, the unplayable, was actually just a big beater. TNN is much more than just a big beater.
    There was a time when people thought Tarmogoyf was a bannable card. Looking back it’s pretty laughable, for similar reasons similar to True-Name. Is it more than a dumb beater? Slightly. Is it impossible to answer? No. Is “My deck can’t beat a 3 mana creature that attacks and blocks and needs a bit of finesse to remove, so it should be banned” a good and strong argument? I certainly don’t think so.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

This guy's logic literally dictates that a 0 mana 20/20 wouldn't warrant a ban. This guy thinks that's a fine card that doesn't cause problems.
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

Quote Originally Posted by SpatulaOfTheAges View Post
    This guy's logic literally dictates that a 0 mana 20/20 wouldn't warrant a ban. This guy thinks that's a fine card that doesn't cause problems.
    Lol

Thread Information