Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Is 23% of the top spot too much for one deck? How about two?

Re: Is 23% of the top spot too much for one deck? How about two?

Quote Originally Posted by SpatulaOfTheAges View Post
    This guy's logic literally dictates that a 0 mana 20/20 wouldn't warrant a ban. This guy thinks that's a fine card that doesn't cause problems.
    No one seems to care when people throw out 12/12s for one. The 20/20 usually costs two though...

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    No one seems to care when people throw out 12/12s for one. The 20/20 usually costs two though...
    12/12s cost 2 mana. 15/15s cost 3 mana. I don't think anyone is arguing that TNN is incorrectly costed...

The issue is that the answers are so narrow and the kill is so slow. Opponents have to sit and watch a game they may have been winning unwind 3 life at a time. No one complained about Progenitus from what I remember.

If you are ahead and your opponent cheats Prog into play and you lose, you weren't really ahead, you just didn't know you were behind at the time. That can be easier to accept than actually being ahead, then slowly losing too a fragile 3/1 that you can't answer despite having a deck full of answers to everything else in the format.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    12/12s cost 2 mana.
    You're paying too much, duder.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Both Dreadnought and Dark Depths are, in my opinion, examples of really well designed cards and infinitely less ban-worthy than TNN, Delver, or even Tarmogoyf. The first two cards require specific card choices and planning, they add diversity to the meta-game because they have to play cards that other people generally wouldn't. The latter require essentially no trade-off for what they do.
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by SpatulaOfTheAges View Post
    Both Dreadnought and Dark Depths are, in my opinion, examples of really well designed cards and infinitely less ban-worthy than TNN, Delver, or even Tarmogoyf. The first two cards require specific card choices and planning, they add diversity to the meta-game because they have to play cards that other people generally wouldn't. The latter require essentially no trade-off for what they do.
    Point is that Marit Lage, Progenitus, Deadnought & Co are 2-card-combos and dead draws unless you also have the second piece needed.

Shit like TNN are no dead draws at 3 mana, do not need a second card to work, are evasive as fuck requiring specific answers and even pitch to FoW
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Point is that Marit Lage, Progenitus, Deadnought & Co are 2-card-combos and dead draws unless you also have the second piece needed.

Shit like TNN are no dead draws at 3 mana, do not need a second card to work, are evasive as fuck requiring specific answers and even pitch to FoW
    Yes, fair decks do not play cards that require assembling a combo. Is there maybe a reason why 2 mana gets you a conditional 12/12 or a guaranteed 3/4-6/7

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

12/12s cost 2 mana. 15/15s cost 3 mana. I don't think anyone is arguing that TNN is incorrectly costed...

The issue is that the answers are so narrow and the kill is so slow. Opponents have to sit and watch a game they may have been winning unwind 3 life at a time. No one complained about Progenitus from what I remember.

If you are ahead and your opponent cheats Prog into play and you lose, you weren't really ahead, you just didn't know you were behind at the time. That can be easier to accept than actually being ahead, then slowly losing too a fragile 3/1 that you can't answer despite having a deck full of answers to everything else in the format.
    Well that is because Progenitus is good clean magic, 4 mana and a land for a 10/10 protection from everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Never mind

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

TNN is as fair a card as Progentis is. Or less even. Its easier to cast, has less power and toughness, but the reason you want it is the same. They both basicly have the same text box, well other than you can equip one of them with a Sofi or some other shit.

I mean there is a reason Krosan Cloudscraper is not played over Progentis, it's not the power or toughness, it's that text box TNN shares. Anyone who argues that TNN is a fair card is looking at the situation wrong.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

May 2015
    PDX

Dreadnought is quite a bit more complex than Stifle + Dreadnought and the same can be said of Dark Depth (though it is a much simpler card). To expand upon what @SpatulaOfTheAges said, the point of decks that run these is to make them downplay the 2-card combo aspect and often times just to act as a failsafe (of tempo) while a gameplan of something more fundamentally broken is being achieved. If you look at R/G Lands, Loam is one card that can buyback the 2-card combo....so it's not really a 2-card-combo anymore when you've designed a deck to get them back at the same time. That's still not even really the point of that deck (the main plan is Strip Mine and win by default), Depths is just the most efficient way to recuperate tempo [i.e. win the game] when other plans could not be assembled or maintained.

The point of cards like Emrakul, Progenitus, and TNN is to be uninteractive. The recent throwing around of rates doesn't mean much without a peer group; uninteractives shouldn't be compared to efficient 1-card combos (Delver/Goyf/etc) shouldn't be compared to concept cards (2-card-combos you build around). Also what does any of this have to do with the point of the thread - and is TNN even seeing more play now than around the time Reid Duke won a GP with TurboTNN (aside from being a 2-of in Delver)? Is anyone seriously pinning the 23% meta representation to the existence of TNN?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Is anyone seriously pinning the 23% meta representation to the existence of TNN?
    You mean if 23% of DRS + BlueShell are tied to the fact that most of the top notch threats as well as next to all (actual & virtual) cardadvantage and -quality engines are in UBx?
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

May 2015
    PDX

You mean if 23% of DRS + BlueShell are tied to the fact that most of the top notch threats as well as next to all (actual & virtual) cardadvantage and -quality engines are in UBx?
    The premise is that Czech and Grixis Delver are more or less the same; I'm not seeing TNN as some Czech staple, but Czech is certainly responsible in large part for TNN in Delver right now. I mean you're seeing Marsh Casualties in Czech SBs in real time...just unsure how this TNN talk helps with disliking where legacy is right now b/c Grixis soup is 23%. Delver still gets housed by white cards, so uh....why are we talking about TNN? I get that TNN is a poorly designed card, I'm just not sure why it's in this conversation since we've been going on about if for the last page or so.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    The premise is that Czech and Grixis Delver are more or less the same; I'm not seeing TNN as some Czech staple, but Czech is certainly responsible in large part for TNN in Delver right now. I mean you're seeing Marsh Casualties in Czech SBs in real time...just unsure how this TNN talk helps with disliking where legacy is right now b/c Grixis soup is 23%. Delver still gets housed by white cards, so uh....why are we talking about TNN? I get that TNN is a poorly designed card, I'm just not sure why it's in this conversation since we've been going on about if for the last page or so.
    TNNs 1UU cost as a turn 2 mini-Progenitus which forces other decks to run dedicated removal is just an anecdote for underlining the fact that the DRS+BlueShell does not need to touch its core structure to run the formats primer threats/card advantage/card selection and push every other fair deck into a reactive position. We could talk Angler, Snapcaster or Leovold as well i guess

Join us at Facebook!

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Data pulled from the MTGO Legacy Challenge of June 25th off of TCDecks.
    This is my best attempt to make an 'average' deck from the lists in that pool of data.
    I had to exclude the sideboard because it proved difficult to come of up with a consensus.

4C Control
    • 2 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    • 3 Snapcaster Mage
    • 4 Baleful Strix
    • 4 Deathrite Shaman
    • 1 Abrupt Decay
    • 2 Fatal Push
    • 2 Kolaghan's Command
    • 3 Lightning Bolt
    • 4 Brainstorm
    • 3 Force of Will
    • 1 Thoughtseize
    • 1 Toxic Deluge
    • 3 Hymn to Tourach
    • 4 Ponder
    • 3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

• 1 Bayou
    • 1 Island
    • 1 Swamp
    • 1 Tropical Island
    • 1 Verdant Catacombs
    • 1 Volcanic Island
    • 2 Badlands
    • 2 Bloodstained Mire
    • 3 Scalding Tarn
    • 3 Underground Sea
    • 4 Polluted Delta
    Grixis Pyromancer
    • 1 True-Name Nemesis
    • 3 Young Pyromancer
    • 2 Gurmag Angler
    • 4 Deathrite Shaman
    • 4 Delver of Secrets
    • 1 Spell Pierce
    • 1 Wild Slash
    • 4 Brainstorm
    • 4 Daze
    • 4 Force of Will
    • 4 Lightning Bolt
    • 1 Cabal Therapy
    • 4 Gitaxian Probe
    • 4 Ponder
    • 1 Bitterblossom

• 1 Tropical Island
    • 2 Volcanic Island
    • 3 Underground Sea
    • 4 Polluted Delta
    • 4 Scalding Tarn
    • 4 Wasteland

The blue cards show the significant overlapping items. Doing a search in TCDecks for 'decks containing in maindeck' pulls up a list of only 4C Control and Grixis Pyromancer. If you cut DRS from the search, a few UR Burn lists are added. If you cut Lightning Bolt the list expands to include BUG Control, Food Chain, and Aluren. If you remove DRS and Lightning Bolt it includes just about every deck with blue in it...

Based on this information, 4C Control and Grixis Pyromancer are two separate decks with several overlapping cards (with the overlapping cards being fairly ubiquitous in the format).
    I havent playe mtg in a while but using these two lists as points of reference I dont even understand how these decs could be considered the same or similar.

The list of differences far ouyweighs the list of similarities.

Differences include
    General deck category ( aggro control combo) - although these are both aggro they are would be categorized as mid range vs tempo. This impacts the general play style and strategy approch to the deck.
    The overwhelming majority of the cards are different.
    Although there are some similarities, last time I check there was a saturation of like 200 unique cards that make up the majority of legacy decks. These are of course among them. Thats not to say they are like so many other decks in the format that use the same cards....
    There is probably more cards in common between lands and dark depths decks but they are radically different Nd would never be considered the same.
    How many black blue combo decks use some combination of brainstorm, ponder, dark ritual, lotus petal, underground sea, fetchlands, blah blah blah. No one is advocating that they are the same.

The only problem I see here is the lack of innovation at building decks that have an edge over these decks given the subtle similarities.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    I havent playe mtg in a while but using these two lists as points of reference I dont even understand how these decs could be considered the same or similar.

The list of differences far ouyweighs the list of similarities.
    The similarly is not in how they are constructed but how you attack them when your playing a deck that is exploiting the joint weakness of unstable mana. DnT (A deck I have never played so take it as an assumption) is such a deck. When playing Lands I treat them basicly the same.
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

You're not alone apple713. Honestly I question if the people claiming they're the same even play very much, Lemnear has said he's stopped yet remains one of the most opinionated people in these threads, it's telling.

Dice, sure you approach pile and delver similarly as Lands (which when you go into the details is quite wrong, imo). Obviously that's not true for other decks of the format though, they do exist!
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Are we forgetting that progentitus’ popularity has a lot to do with the numbers in the lower right? Its quite difficult to race a 10/10. Its not difficult to race a 3/1.

Mar 2013

I get that, I have never once said that. I have simply tried to answer the question that keeps getting ask.

Question. "LOL, fool, can't you see they are different?"
    Answer. "Sometimes you react the same way to different things and they can blend into one."

Lead example, I know ANT and TES are different, I react to them almost exactly the same way. The fact that they are different in detail makes little difference in practice.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

I get that, I have never once said that. I have simply tried to answer the question that keeps getting ask.

Question. "LOL, fool, can't you see they are different?"
    Answer. "Sometimes you react the same way to different things and they can blend into one."

Lead example, I know ANT and TES are different, I react to them almost exactly the same way. The fact that they are different in detail makes little difference in practice.
    Try to look at it out of the context of Lands. An example to help is from Miracles, where you'll side out basic plains and Swords to Plowshares vs Pile, but they're the best cards in the deck vs Delver.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by WashableWater1 View Post
    Are we forgetting that progentitus’ popularity has a lot to do with the numbers in the lower right? Its quite difficult to race a 10/10. Its not difficult to race a 3/1.
    It's not. Otherwise as I said, people would NO For something larger. You can pick any green thing you like. That text box is the most important part of that card. It being a 5/5 for 5 mana would still make it something people consider. Because the effect is just nuts. Sure, it would be less popular I will agree there, but it would still see play.

TNN is more powerful then the pet Hyrda because it has that magic line of text and it's easier to cast. It also blocks forever and buys you a ton of time. Your argument is about fair decks, TNN renders fair decks worthless when it hits the table. You need to do something unfair or lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefaces View Post
    Try to look at it out of the context of Lands. An example to help is from Miracles, where you'll side out basic plains and Swords to Plowshares vs Pile, but they're the best cards in the deck vs Delver.
    I am! Fuck sakes I am. I am trying to answer the question all the people who view the deck in that context have. My point is not that the decks are not different, it never was. My point was to simply answer the question that was set out in page one that came from those who did not understand why someone would seem to think the decks are alike.

Who are the people I am talking to? Those playing against these decks with Force of will and Brainstorm. What am I saying? When your not playing those cards, you may find you start to feel like this:

All the heavy dual decks can start to feel the same from a Lands perspective after a while.

Not speaking for others, but I can see how they would feel alike.

Thread Information