Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is time for reserved list-less legacy yet?

Is time for reserved list-less legacy yet?

What the title say:
    Seems pretty obvious that witch won't break the reserved list, and prices are really skyrocketing for the dual lands,
    Do you think this will happen?
    Duals, led, cities and more will loss, yet,
    I find it a more credible/possible solution than everything else I've read about.

Re: Is time for reserved list-less legacy yet?

We'd lose most of the decks that give legacy the identity that it has is the thing. Which, depending on your point of view may be good or bad.

Daze would be pretty bad bouncing fetch lands back to hand and shocking yourself again. LED going away would kill a substantial portion of combo decks. Losing City of Traitors would be a fairly big hit to Stompy/Stax manabases. Losing Mox Diamond would be pretty rough on the decks that use it. Elves loses a Cradle but would probably still be a deck. MUD dies for real losing Metalworker and Grim, which also hurts Big Eldrazi a little bit. Aluren just dies. Tabernacle going away hurts lands pretty good.

I get there are a bunch of other cards that aren't really played that much anymore (Humility, Helm, Intuition, Moat, Chains) that would also get the axe and probably wouldn't actually matter for most of the top competitive decks... but it would lose so much of the character that makes Legacy what it is. Legacy is great because you can still sleeve up Geddon Stax, play some wacky brew type decks like BUG Control Lands, slam together shit like Tezzerator with a bunch of fringe playable cards. These decks aren't big competitors, but they are all things that you can and should expect people that have loved playing this game for 25 years to bring occasionally. Sometimes they will just wreck your bone stock meta tuned Delver list with cards people need to read. And that is part of the fun, and why we enjoy sharing this crap with new and old players alike.

WOTC should rid of the stupid reserve list instead.
    Cockatrice: Bosque

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

No.

But the Reserved List could be retired tomorrow and I'd be fine with that.

I'd be happy already with a duallike reprint, functionally different enough to avoid RL-fuss, but with a comparable powerlevel.
    Something like Copperline Gorge, but with forest-mountain type to fetch it.
    And make it an uncommon, as a statement :)

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    I'd be happy already with a duallike reprint, functionally different enough to avoid RL-fuss, but with a comparable powerlevel.
    Something like Copperline Gorge, but with forest-mountain type to fetch it.
    And make it an uncommon, as a statement :)
    They wont do that and it has been discussed to death. Topic: Spirit of the Reserved List.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    They wont do that and it has been discussed to death. Topic: Spirit of the Reserved List.
    Feels like they are experimenting around it though (like Drop vs Nodes).
    As for duals (fetchable lands that produce 2 colors), they already printed 3 cycles of crippled duals (Cinder Glade, Sheltered thicket, Stomping Ground).
    And a stand alone bad triple land in Murmuring Bosk.
    All those cards aren't really Legacy-playable, but I do think there's space to design a playable one while also remaining functionally different enough from real duals.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

As for duals (fetchable lands that produce 2 colors), they already printed 3 cycles of crippled duals (Cinder Glade, Sheltered thicket, Stomping Ground).
    All those cards aren't really Legacy-playable, but I do think there's space to design a playable one while also remaining functionally different enough from real duals.
    They simply don't want to do so. They could have for more than a decade, but did not. They have no interrest in supporting a format which rivals Modern as an eternal format.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

They simply don't want to do so. They could have for more than a decade, but did not. They have no interrest in supporting a format which rivals Modern as an eternal format.
    When we will be stuck with modem as the only played "eternal format" I guess I'll have to sell everything

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by NegatorITA View Post
    When we will be stuck with modem as the only played "eternal format" I guess I'll have to sell everything
    EDH and Pauper are actual eternal formats.

WoTC doesn't really need to do anything about the reserved list. China is handling it and as a player I couldn't be happier. I've owned reserved list cards for decades now and I don't particularly care what happens to my cardboard prices as long as I can sit across the table from another competitive vintage/legacy/edh deck. I don't even comment on fakes unless they are blatent, and then it's only to let someone know how blatent and that others might not approve. I go to game stores and tournaments to play, not to pretend that getting lucky on kids card game is the same as a 401k. (If it is your 401k right now, I suggest you cash out now while you can, diversify, and then buy some Chinese paper to play your hobby.)
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

What's your argument for why WotC would want to support modern over legacy

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    What's your argument for why WotC would want to support modern over legacy
    Well it's clearly their policy...you ever see a gp schedule?

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Well it's clearly their policy...you ever see a gp schedule?
    I'm not asking you to show me that it is the case, I'm asking for an explanation why.
    I'm wondering what argument can be used that doesn't involve circular reasoning, i.e:

Me: "Why doesn't wizards repeal the reserved list?"
    You: "They would rather players spend money on modern"
    Me: "Why does it make a difference to wizards what format people play as long as players are spending money on cards?"
    You: "Modern is accessible to more people because it's cheaper, and wotc can actually make money off it by reprinting cards in masters sets"
    Me: "Why can't legacy be cheaper and have masters sets?"
    You: "Because the reserved list exists"
    Other unconvincing reasons include any variation of "The majority of the population are uncultured philistines who don't appreciate the subtleties of 200 IQ Brainstorm gameplay"

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    Other unconvincing reasons include any variation of "The majority of the population are uncultured philistines who don't appreciate the subtleties of 200 IQ Brainstorm gameplay"
    I need to figure out how to add this to my sig.
    Last edited by kinda; 06-24-2018 at 03:57 PM.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Modern is a format of cards that can be reprinted at will. The banned list is highly curated. All cards have 'modern' design, meaning they can be complex as long as they are intuitive. It is also an easier format for Standard players to enter after their deck rotates.

Legacy is pretty much the opposite of that, and we like it that way... So it makes sense for WotC to favor the reprintable, curated, intuitive next step up from Standard.

On top of that, Modern is a unique format which is a lot of fun to play. I know some hate to hear that... but they've gotta get over it.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Modern is a format of cards that can be reprinted at will. The banned list is highly curated. All cards have 'modern' design, meaning they can be complex as long as they are intuitive. It is also an easier format for Standard players to enter after their deck rotates.

Legacy is pretty much the opposite of that, and we like it that way... So it makes sense for WotC to favor the reprintable, curated, intuitive next step up from Standard.

On top of that, Modern is a unique format which is a lot of fun to play. I know some hate to hear that... but they've gotta get over it.
    I doubt i could have put it better. Thanks for jumping in

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post

I agree on everything but the "fun" part, being it subjective to each own, I'd say that modern is "supposed" to be more fun, whatever, time will tell.
    "eternal" would also have all of these benefict though, so, I still believe some day we will have that kind of format.

Like others have said, Modern is the closest WotC will go to Reserved List-less Legacy. There's no reason to extend Modern all the way back because all you do is make blue overbearingly powerful and create a relatively static format of Turbo Xerox and Anti-Turbo Xerox decks. It would undermine the whole point of Modern, which is being the only diverse tournament format Wizards supports.

Vintage provides them with a model for an unsupported Eternal format. Depending on who you ask, Legacy is either going or has already gone the way of Vintage, so I wouldn't expect them to waste too much time managing it or trying to dream up solutions to its problems.

This is usually my argument as well.

THEY ARE WORKING ON IT. SLOW PROCESS.

Try it out. Play miracles with Prairie Stream.

Well, Attempted Rationalism at least.
    May 2015
    King County

Re:Title

No, there's no point in ever doing that. There are plenty of other formats already available.

Thread Information