Thread: Earthcraft deck pieces?

Earthcraft deck pieces?

Assuming Earthcraft gets unbanned tomorrow...what other cards besides squirrel nest do I need to pick up tonight?

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Re: Earthcraft deck pieces?

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Assuming Earthcraft gets unbanned tomorrow...what other cards besides squirrel nest do I need to pick up tonight?
    4 Quirion Ranger
    4 Llanowar Elves
    4 Arbor Elf
    4 Argothian Enchantress
    4 Earthcraft
    4 Instill Energy
    4 Wild Growth

That pretty much gives you insane amounts of mana and card draw early and consistently for starters. Does it make for a real Legacy deck? Who knows...It is competing with Elves for the role I have laid before it, and Elves does a good job except in the face of counterspells. Also, be careful with Instill Energy. It has been through some silly rewordings over the years. It now loses a lot of its punch without Earthcraft out. I don't even know if it is good any more.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    4 Quirion Ranger
    4 Llanowar Elves
    4 Arbor Elf
    4 Argothian Enchantress
    4 Earthcraft
    4 Instill Energy
    4 Wild Growth

That pretty much gives you insane amounts of mana and card draw early and consistently for starters. Does it make for a real Legacy deck? Who knows...It is competing with Elves for the role I have laid before it, and Elves does a good job except in the face of counterspells. Also, be careful with Instill Energy. It has been through some silly rewordings over the years. It now loses a lot of its punch without Earthcraft out. I don't even know if it is good any more.
    Current Instill Energy oracle text: "Enchanted creature can attack as though it had haste."

Um... is there any reason why it can't just say "Enchanted creature has haste"?

The distinction apparently is that it can attack, but it can't use Tap abilities. I suppose that's to make it fit the original text more, which only said it "may attack the turn it comes into play." But Nether Shadow has the same wording in its original text in that it refers only to attacking, not tap abilities ("Shadow can attack on same turn summoned or returned to play"), and it has regular haste in the oracle text.

Aug 2016
    Flanders

I personally wouldn't be so big on Squirrel Nest, but I'd probably run it alongside Sacred Mesa and Serra's Sanctum - it's also infinite with one Wild Growth/Utopia Sprawl, but Mesa is also a mana sink if you don't have an Earthcraft out. (+ doesn't expose you to Flickerwisp on your land, Ghost Quarter etc as much)
    Maindeck Humility seems sweet too for such a deck.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I think your deck is better off with show and tell and griselbrands
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Current Instill Energy oracle text: "Enchanted creature can attack as though it had haste."

The distinction apparently is that it can attack, but it can't use Tap abilities. I suppose that's to make it fit the original text more, which only said it "may attack the turn it comes into play." But Nether Shadow has the same wording in its original text in that it refers only to attacking, not tap abilities ("Shadow can attack on same turn summoned or returned to play"), and it has regular haste in the oracle text.
    There can be a distinction, see Thousand-Year Elixir for a non-attack version of "as though they had haste"
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    WotC hasn't exactly been consistent in their interpretation of the text of old cards. There are certainly versions of Instill Energy with text that gives 'full' haste. I imagine the difference between something like Instill Energy and Nether Shadow comes down to when the most recent version was printed.

Thread Information