Thread: Elves - SCG Atlanta Legacy Classic - 7/1/2018

Hybrid View

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

Elves - SCG Atlanta Legacy Classic - 7/1/2018

Played the Legacy Classic at the StarCityGames Atlanta Open this weekend.
    This is from memory, but the general idea is there.

Round 1 v BUG Delver
    1. I mull to 5, resolve a glimpse and get a couple cards ahead. She has a board presence and a Hymn, but lacks a way to beat Elvish Visionary for a few turns until I find a Natural Order.
    2. Same thing, but different. Hymn hits relevant cards this time and she assembles a board of Goyf, Deathrite, Delver, but an Ooze takes over the game and eventually leads to a her playing Golgari Charm in regeneration mode while I have Ooze, 2x Nettle, and a Shaman of the Pack.

Round 2 v Grixis Delver
    1. Stuff happens and I win.
    2. T2 Grim Lavamancer creates some trouble while I True-Name brings some damage. I take some hits while drawing more lands, but find a Zenith at the last moment to get Ooze and prevent lethal from DRS + Lavamancer + TNN. Ooze keeps me alive for two turns while I find a means of getting a lethal Zenith for Hoof while keeping up mana to nuke his Deathrite and prevent hardcast Force that he shows me.

Round 3 v Hex Depths
    1. He Duresses Natural Order, Thoughtseizes Craterhoof, then makes Marit Lage on turn 3 off Lotus Petal + Thespian Stage.
    2. I mull down, keep a mediocre hand. He leads on Deathrite into Dark Confidant. I find Thoughtseize and he Crop Rotations in response then finds the other half on his T3 Confidant flip. Duresses my Abrupt Decay for some reason, leaving a Glimpse which I draw a few cards on to no avail.

Round 4 v OmniTell
    1. He turn 2 Cunning Wishes for Intuition. I kill him on my 3.
    2. I Thoughtseize him and take Emrakul, shuffling his kept T1 Ponder and leaving Spell Pierce, Enter the Infinite, Cunning Wish, Delta, Ancient Tomb. He turn 2 Cunning Wishes for Intuition... but forgot to board it back out and settles for Echoing Truth. He Draws a Brainstorm, casts it and apparently finds Show and Tell, Griselbrand, Emrakul. He puts back Griselbrand and puts Emrakul into play. I have a small chain with Heritage Druid and am able to kill him thanks to the Show and Tell + 2 Ancient Tomb activations. If he had put in Griselbrand I wouldn't have had lethal through the Lifegain - or he could've just drawn 14 and found a Force of Will. Whoops.

Round 5 v Death and Taxes
    1. He has Mother into Stoneforge (Jitte) and keeps me down with a Rishadan Port. I go for barely lethal Natural Order on turn 4 and he has Flickerwisp to prevent lethal. Jitte hits, Mom blocks Hoof, but I retain enough mana for the second Natural Order for 17 trample.
    2. He leads on Mom into Ethersworn Canonist, which makes my Glimpse hand look especially awful when I draw a second for turn. He plays Prelate on 4 while I draw a card with Visionary. He then makes a Mirran Crusader and has some damage on the table. I've drawn into a line and sandbag Cradle + Craterhoof and just need more creatures in play to enable it. He plays Grafdigger's Cage, AEther Vial, and a second Mirran Crusader. Swords on my Wirewood sets me back a turn on mana, but I'm able to cast Hoof off Cradle + Heritage Druid and have lethal.

Round 6 v Grixis Delver
    1. We play cool magic for a change and stuff happens. He eeks it out with a Delver.
    2. He has removal, but I have the better Deathrite and he doesn't have a secondary threat to pressure me. I'm able to resolve a Glimpse and get to a double Visionary board state where I pull ahead, get a Choke Force of Willed and play another.
    3. I keep a respectable hand with Nettle, Heritage, and Choke. He has a better hand and I never get to play the game. T1 Deathrite, T2 Pyromancer + Probe + Bolt. Daze. Untap Probe, Ponder, Brainstorm, Bolt my creature. I take 9 from Pyro + tokens on his next attack.

I should drop and join the Pauper event starting in 40 minutes, but I'm still live for T16 and it seems wasteful.

Round 7 v BR Reanimator
    We get deck checked. I should drop and play Pauper. Have a nice chat with man from Charlotte. Talk about my disdain for the format and how I probably will take a break from Legacy for a few weeks if nothing changes on the Monday banlist update.
    1. He has Chancellor. I run something into it and he makes Sire of Insanity on his T2.
    I shuffle my deck and pause. I should drop and play Pauper - there's still 6 minutes left to sign up. I dismiss the idea and board.
    2. He has Chanecellor, but mulled to 4 and doesn't have a land drop. I play an Ooze on T2 and we pack it in to game 3.
    It's too late to drop and play Pauper.
    3. He has Chancellor. T1 Dark Rit into Collective Brutality discarding Griselbrand and taking something. I kept Thoughtseize, Ooze, + stuff but oh well. He makes Griselbrand on his T2, and and Elesh Norn and Blazing Archon on T3.

So yeah. Taking a break for a few weeks at least at which point maybe I'll reevaluate whether I actually care at all about playing Legacy right now. The decks I want to play (Elves, Death and Taxes, Maverick) are not only mediocre, but also don't make up for the repetitive play patterns I've played again and again the last 2 years - not that matches versus Elves are always that riveting either I'll admit.
    I'll be at Thursday Legacy to Cube if anyone wants to join.

Props:
    - Pauper being fun.
    - Round 5 opponent for remembering me, playing mostly signed Death and Taxes, and following up on whether I gotten some signatures we had talked about months prior.
    - My Round 7 opponent being good conversation and a good sport about my salt. He understood, but I'll reiterate that it wasn't directed at you if you're reading this.

Slops:
    - Legacy being dull and uninspiring.
    - Modern being possibly worse just with more decks.
    - Scheduling Pauper events that overlap (only 3 hours apart) so I can't even 3-0-1 one and play the next despite getting to the reg table with the guy I drew with 5 minutes before the start time.
    Tusk up.
    (Not so) Current Decks: GB Elves, GW Maverick, GWb Maverick, LED Dredge, ANT, TES, Jund Storm.

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

Re: Elves - SCG Atlanta Legacy Classic - 7/1/2018

Still cubing this Thursday, but I'll be bringing something to legacy next week.
    Tusk up.
    (Not so) Current Decks: GB Elves, GW Maverick, GWb Maverick, LED Dredge, ANT, TES, Jund Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by haganbmj View Post
    So yeah. Taking a break for a few weeks at least at which point maybe I'll reevaluate whether I actually care at all about playing Legacy right now. The decks I want to play (Elves, Death and Taxes, Maverick) are not only mediocre, but also don't make up for the repetitive play patterns I've played again and again the last 2 years - not that matches versus Elves are always that riveting either I'll admit.
    Well, the dullness is gone, as the recent bannings killed 3 decks youve played against, and affected 2 others (including yours).
    Quite a shake-up, and Maverick and D&T look in good shape in this new meta (I also think Elves will be fine without DRS too).
    Wholeheartely hope you'll enjoy Legacy again!

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    Well, the dullness is gone, as the recent bannings killed 3 decks youve played against, and affected 2 others (including yours).
    Quite a shake-up, and Maverick and D&T look in good shape in this new meta (I also think Elves will be fine without DRS too).
    Wholeheartely hope you'll enjoy Legacy again!
    I'll be interested to see where the dust settles, it'll certainly be interesting exploring for the next month or so.
    Tusk up.

Thread Information