Thread: Cloudvine

Jul 2018
    Gothenburg

Cloudvine

Hello,

I've been playing Cloudvine on and off since I first saw Eric Rills list at http://www.starcitygames.com/events/...with_eric.html.
    The most recent version of the deck I could find online besides my own lists was here https://magic.wizards.com/en/events/...ill-2016-06-11

Since the banning of Deathrite Shaman my interest in the deck has been renewed, although I suspect the deck will newer be truly good due to a lack of removal and interaction and less redundant at the combo/flood plan than Elves I'm still playing it as a pet deck and trying to improve upon it without breaking the core idea.

Being free of Deathrite Shaman however also makes the 3-color plan less optimal, as the deck is already vulnerable to land hate I'm hesitant of adding black again and would prefer sticking to 2-colors if at all possible however I will concede that Decay, removal and hand disruption in the SB is not bad. Going in to black could also open up the possibility of more discard such as Lotleth Troll, Collective Brutality and possibly Hollow One, Chart a Course has also had my eye from time to time.

In any case I made this post to hopefully get some criticisms and input on the deck and how it might be improved upon going forward.

2 Birds of Paradise
    4 Noble Hierarch
    1 Greenbelt Rampager
    1 Tarmogoyf
    4 Cloud of Faeries
    2 Coiling Oracle
    4 Shardless Agent
    4 Vengevine
    1 Craterhoof Behemoth
    2 Dryad Arbor

4 Green Sun’s Zenith

4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Intuition

3 Tropical Island
    4 Gaea’s Cradle
    3 Forest
    1 Island
    2 Wooded Foothills
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Windswept Heath
    2 Misty Rainforest

SIDEBOARD
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    1 Murkfiend Liege
    1 Skylasher
    1 Null Rod
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Faerie Macabre
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Spell Snare
    Last edited by Deirex85; 01-03-2019 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Syntax

Re: Cloudvine

Opposition seems like a natural slot somewhere in the 75.

Aug 2010
    Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by Jakobian1010 View Post
    Opposition seems like a natural slot somewhere in the 75.
    Could be interesting... If you go that route, winter orb could be nice to!

May 2015
    PDX

Greenbelt Rampager deserves serious consideration in this deck if you are serious about Vengevine; like this just has to be better than Cloud of Faeries by itself. Basking Rootwalla is a notable omission, but the list as submitted is taken from Opposition Elves. I think you'd probably be better off focusing on draw/discard and Intuition specialization than the Opposition Elves value critter plan. Either direction though is almost certainly supposed to run 1x Cradle max, supplement with Crop Rotation for virtual copies.

Jul 2018
    Gothenburg

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Greenbelt Rampager deserves serious consideration in this deck if you are serious about Vengevine; like this just has to be better than Cloud of Faeries by itself. Basking Rootwalla is a notable omission, but the list as submitted is taken from Opposition Elves. I think you'd probably be better off focusing on draw/discard and Intuition specialization than the Opposition Elves value critter plan. Either direction though is almost certainly supposed to run 1x Cradle max, supplement with Crop Rotation for virtual copies.
    Thanks for the feedback!

I have indeed as noted moved between an Opposition Elves based list and a more Survival based list with additional discard outlets, and had a hard time figuring out which has been most optimal for what I want to do, I suspect that I may have to move in to BUG colors for this as I'm not convinced the UG colors are enough as steady discard outlets, Fauna Shaman, Chart a course and Careful Study come to mind of course.

Greenbelt Rampager Should definitely be in there! Thanks!

I've had many situations where having additional Gaea's Cradle's has been great for casting Craterhoof and very rarely been in the position where having multiple copies has been an issue for me barring a start hand or two.
    I'm not 100% sold on Crop Rotation as of yet but I will definitely try it out whilst cutting perhaps 2 Cradles.

Jul 2018
    Gothenburg

Played an interesting version of this deck at a 20-man local tournament.

Decklist:
    4 Noble Hierarch
    1 Greenbelt Rampager
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Reclamation Sage
    4 Cloud of Faeries
    4 Ice-Fang Coatl
    4 Risen Reef
    4 Vengevine
    1 Titania, Protector of Argoth
    1 Craterhoof Behemoth
    1 Dryad Arbor

4 Green Sun’s Zenith

4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Intuition

4 Gaea’s Cradle
    3 Tropical Island
    1 Waterlogged Grove
    3 Misty Rainforest
    1 Prismatic Vista
    2 Snow-Covered Island
    3 Snow-Covered Forest

Sideboard:
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Force of Negation
    1 Surgical Extraction
    2 Tormod’s Crypt
    3 Pithing Needle
    1 Collector Ouphe
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    1 Murkfiend Liege

I punted some games pretty hard due to a lack of sleep (first work week after vacation).

For example during one game vs UWR Blade I was dead on board, had 3 life and no way to answer an opposing True-Name, my opponent was at 18.
    The board state was a bit messy and I forgot about my opponents Jitte with 2 counters on it.

Without going too much in to specifics I went for a Risen Reef + Titania, Protector of Argoth + Vengevine line combined with some fetches and 2 Gaea’s Cradle.
    This was admittedly super fun and I triggered loads of extra tokens of Titania and got a bunch of value from Risen Reef.
    In the end it amounted to exactly 18 points of damage that turn to which my opponent simply used his previously mentioned Jitte to survive.

I then realized that it would've been lethal had I just gone for a Craterhoof Behemoth with my Green sun's Zenith instead of going for all the fun triggers.

Matchups:
    UG Paradoxical Outcome combo - 0-2
    Lands - 2-0
    UWR Blade - 0-2
    Monored Prison Stompy - 2-1

Risen reef was super fun and I got some compliments for playing a cool deck, but it feels just slightly lacking in our meta.
    That being said, in practice the deck feels good vs almost anything slower than yourself due to the insane value generated with the elemental plan.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

sounds like a lot of fun. wtf is a paradoxical outcome deck legacy? wish we could see a list for that as well!
    -rob

Jul 2018
    Gothenburg

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    sounds like a lot of fun. wtf is a paradoxical outcome deck legacy? wish we could see a list for that as well!
    That deck was so cool!
    Apparently he had just built it and it was in no way optimized according to him, I might ask him for a list next week.

It included at least the following cards:
    Paradoxical Outcome
    Mox Opal, Chrome Mox, Lotus petal, Grim Monolith
    Riddlesmith
    Sai, Master Thopterist
    Echo of Eons
    Tendrils of Agony
    Veil of Summer
    Last edited by Deirex85; 08-07-2019 at 09:13 AM.

Thread Information