Thread: [Article] Post Ban Legacy

Oct 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden

[Article] Post Ban Legacy

Hi everyone! I wrote an article with my predictions for the new Legacy metagame. You can find it here.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Re: [Article] Post Ban Legacy

Thanks for the link to this throughtful and well-presented article. That said, this is essentially the consensus here on The Source anyway.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

I think you're missing a key point in your analysis. You're only looking at the cards that were already played and extrapolating how those cards fare. DRS in particular effectively banned a bunch of cards from the format like Lingering Souls and Intuition. I think we'll see a bunch of those come back. Intuition curves particularly well into Cryptic Serpent which is essentially a blue Angler and becomes playable with DRS gone.

I think you're a little too down on Grixis. It still has a lot going for it relative to RUG:

- Fatal Push still lines up well against most of the format's threats, particularly if Goyf is back on the menu;

- Gurmag Angler is largely better than Tarmogoyf as a graveyard-reliant threat because it's (usually) larger, can police enemy Tarmogoyfs, and does not die to Push;

- Green in RUG was mostly for threats and sideboard cards like K. Grip that made sense in a world with Counterbalance, but now that Counterbalance is much less common there's less incentive to run green sideboard cards;

- Unlike BUG, Grixis has access to the full suite of anti-blue hate cards (REB/Pyro) and anti-combo cards (discard mostly), so it is easier to tech it to fight other tempo decks, control decks, and/or combo decks;

- If you were on Czech Pile before, you probably have an easier time building Grixis than RUG.

You can run a Grixis deck that attacks your opponent's mana and plucks key catch up cards out of their hand with Therapy and Thoughtseize, while closing the game out with burn and Delvers. I don't think a threat package of Goose, Delver, and Goyf is dramatically different in power level than Goose, Y Peezy, and Angler: each has its own advantages and drawbacks, but on balance they're basically one generic ground duder, one cheap flying threat, and one cheap fatty. The primary advantage of RUG is that it's easier to stick a threat early and then ride it to victory while keeping your opponent off-balance with free or cheap instants, whereas Grixis has more demands on its mana in the first few turns because it runs more sorceries and is therefore less able to stick a fast threat and still have all its interaction up.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

BUG will still be plenty viable without DRS it just won't be as good. The deck existed well before DRS was printed and it will see plenty of play post ban. Take miracles for example... SDT got banned but the deck didn't die, it just adapted and is still played.

For those of you that have never seen BUG played without DRS http://www.starcitygames.com/article...Shardless.html
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Good overview, content is very clearly laid out. Nice read. Thanks!
    A book about the dark side of Legacy: "Magic: The Addiction" // Conversations with Magic players: "Humans of Magic"

AggroZombies,

Intuition into Cryptic Serpent is a very cool idea.

I wonder if we might see a Mono Ux deck that plays Delver, Snapcaster and a couple of either Thing in the Ice or Cryptic Serpant as the finisher.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    AggroZombies,

Intuition into Cryptic Serpent is a very cool idea.

I wonder if we might see a Mono Ux deck that plays Delver, Snapcaster and a couple of either Thing in the Ice or Cryptic Serpant as the finisher.
    I'm thinking UG/x. Traverse the Ulvenwald to find late game threats and even turn on mana reduction. 5 mana (should be doable in green) goes traverse, snapcaster, traverse, serpent. Then throw in Intuition as a secondary tutor/GY enabler. Assuming you've got a fetchland in the GY, Intuition for JTMS, Snapcaster Mage, Traverse, turns on Delirium, and with a Ponder or something on T2 also enables a Serpent.

Thread Information