Thread: [SCD] Desecrated Tomb

[SCD] Desecrated Tomb

In M19 there is a new artifact:
    Desecrated Tomb (3)
    Whenever one or more creature cards leaves your graveyard, create a 1/1 Black Bat token with Flying.
    So as long as you have a creature in your hand and one in your graveyard, Tortured Existence + Desecrated Tomb = Pay B: Get a Bat. This is basically the same thing as Thopter-Sword, another strategy that has been close to playable in legacy before. Arguably both Desecrated Tomb and Tortured Existence are better cards on their own than Thopter Foundry and Sword of the Meek, so the idea may have some potential.

I'm not exactly sure how to start it though. The obvious build is a kind of Zombardment shell, because you already have creature recursion to trigger the Tomb. Carrion Feeder + Gravecrawler + Tomb can make a lot of bats even without Tortured Existence. Is this win-more though? Is Carrion Feeder + Gravecrawler exciting enough by itself?

And then if you play too many creatures that already return themselves, Tortured Existence becomes redundant outside of the Tomb combo, when ideally you would be able to use the Enchantment to re-use removal or other utility cards.

A deck like this might be so dependent on the graveyard that the question becomes 'why not play dredge or reanimator' if this is just a less powerful deck that loses to the same hate. In that case, is there a build for these cards that isn't entirely focused on 'small-ball' graveyard synergies? (Just like how thopter-sword decks typically aren't full of artifacts). So maybe it is better in a 'Gate'-like deck?

An option for the deck might be UB
    This lets you play the good blue spells (FoW, Brainstorm etc), and Baleful Strix as one of the best legacy creatures. Then you can play Academy Ruins, which functions like Volrath's Stronghold with Baleful Strix (and makes a Bat) but also lets you return the Tomb.

...Then the problem would be that Strix is an artifact, so if this idea would be a good deck then why couldn't it already be done with Thopter Sword? And if you're playing a minimal amount of creatures to fit all the blue spells then the Tomb and Tortured Existence don't do anything outside of the combo, so you might as well be playing Thopter Sword anyway.

TLDR I feel like this combo is powerful enough but I have no idea what to fit around it.

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Re: [SCD] Desecrated Tomb

Squee, Goblin Nabob comes to mind, because it's value with both cards.

Tortured Existence wants me to play some Madness creatures or things like Bloodghast, Prized Amalgam.

I'd play around with a Squee, Goblin Nabob + Zombie Infestation shell and add some Madness and/or Unearth stuff.

But eventually I think the combo is not really worth it. Gravecrawler + Goblin Bombardment is the better combo imo.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Ashnod’s altar
    Myr retriever

Does not require any color. But this has been around for a very long time.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post

So as long as you have a creature in your hand and one in your graveyard, Tortured Existence + Desecrated Tomb = Pay B: Get a Bat. This is basically the same thing as Thopter-Sword, another strategy that has been close to playable in legacy before. Arguably both Desecrated Tomb and Tortured Existence are better cards on their own than Thopter Foundry and Sword of the Meek, so the idea may have some potential.

I think the life gain on thopter foundry is a pretty big factor that you don't get with Tomb.

Another issue is that you're basically playing a bad dredge or reanimator deck.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

For sure worse than other options, but i'm 100% building something like this up for an FNM and laughing heartily into the 0-4 bracket

4 Krovikan Horror
    4 Squee, Goblin Nabob
    4 Veilborn Ghoul
    4 Zombie Infestation
    4 Desecrated Tomb

4 Faithless Looting
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Last Rites
    4 Entomb
    3 Collective Brutality
    2 Firestorm

20 Lands

Probably needs more Faithless Looting Effects.
    Maybe some green so you can remove graveyard hate.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Looks like 4 Horsemen is a legal deck now:

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/co..._some_changes/

Thread Information