Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Goreclaw Stompy

Re: [Deck] Goreclaw Stompy

I like the Lodestone Golem suggestion. It has high enough power for Rhonas/Goreclaw/Surrak, it's easy to cast, and it disrupts the opponent. Sounds better than bending over backwards for Thought-Knot Seer, even though that card is strong too.

Is Okina, Temple of Grandfathers a good 1-of because of your legends, or is it bad because of Wasteland and Blood Moon?

Is Tarmogoyf an idea for this deck, with Deathrite Shaman gone? You're looking for big, dumb, and green, and Tarmogoyf is the poster boy for all of that, but is it big and dumb enough if you don't play cantrips and fetch lands?

The 3-mana slot is hard to fill. Seems like all the best creatures are 1GG. How good is Reclamation Sage turning out to be? Good enough for more than one? The other good 2G card is Tireless Tracker, but that feels like a different direction than the straightforward lock-and-attack plan you have now. Overall it feels like the cards that work the Rhonas/Goreclaw/Surrak angle in a Legacy stompy deck haven't been printed yet. It might help if they weren't all legendary.

Yasova in this deck is an Alpine Grizzly who suffers Karakas

Don’t you think you need some card advantage? If they empty your hand you’re totally done. Baloths were fine for this

I would add Libraries definitely

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    Yasova in this deck is an Alpine Grizzly who suffers Karakas
    I'm worried about Karakas too, but you forgot to mention trample and historic.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsOfParadise View Post
    Yes but 2thoughtness makes it a Ball Lightning more or less. I would cut it and I would consider something that denies mana.

Ok Wasteland but also some cool creature. No idea though

Also consider that Grixis Temur and Sultai are the future and Fatal Push kills 95% of your creatures. Being able to ramp is cool because you get out of Fatal Push and Bolt reach making yourself virtually unbeatable to Grixis and Temur. Sultai apart from Fatal Push has Abrupt Decay as well but if you cover yourself from the first the latter is card advantage

Consider SB Thrun against control and some Phyrexian Revoker for Jace and Azcanta

Interesting deck idea!
    Could Emperor's Vanguard be worth looking into? Paired with trample it gives the deck some sort of card selection.

Okina is a very cool suggestion. I will try it in the deck.

Karakas could be a pain. I havent tried the deck vs DnT yet.

What the best land destruction options we have aside from wasteland? Acidic Slime?

Feast of Worms lol.

Seriously, I think Wasteland is the best bet, although I could maybe imagine cramming in two Ice Storms if you further cut down the GSZ package. I know I suggested Jitte, but I am wondering now about Lightning Greaves instead. You run a lot of big guys that could benefit from both haste and shroud. It's not a card that's usually good enough for Legacy, though.

Edit: Actually I'd suggest bringing back Runic Armasaur and cutting Prowling Serpopard if you're worried about Karakas. It's not bad against Mother of Runes either, I'd imagine.

The only way to to do something with this deck is 2x Ranumap Excavator and 4 Wasteland

Have been trying the list 20+ matches. We are also able to big mana and we don’t draw anything. Again something that draws us cards is needed

And Planeswalkers. Jesus how much we want them
    3x Viviane Reid

Poron,

Which list have you been playing?

This is my current list, I updated the OP with it earlier today. I specifically geared it to make sure the deck is not lacking in threats...

1 Okina, Temple to the Grandfathers
    9 Forest
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    3 Chrome Mox

3 Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma
    3 Surrak, the Hunt Caller
    2 Rhonas the Indomitable

4 Lodestone Golem
    3 Traxos, Scourge of Kroog
    2 Wurmcoil Engine

4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Trinisphere
    2 Choke

4 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Runic Armasaur
    1 Prowling Serpopard

This build of the deck is certainly not lacking in threats. It plays 22 cards that get out 4-6 power big threats, it plays more threats than permanent mana sources so mana flood shouldn't be an issue.

I know I suggested Jitte, but I am wondering now about Lightning Greaves instead. You run a lot of big guys that could benefit from both haste and shroud. It's not a card that's usually good enough for Legacy, though.

Edit: Actually I'd suggest bringing back Runic Armasaur and cutting Prowling Serpopard if you're worried about Karakas. It's not bad against Mother of Runes either, I'd imagine.
    Surrak already gives all of our creatures haste. Lightning Greaves is unneccesary since Surrak exists.

Runic as a strategy against Karakas, Mother and Port is brilliant. I knew I maindecked it for a reason. Yeah, I'll have to make room for one maindeck once again.

I really like the one of Serpopard as an answer to counters/FoW, especially since it packs 4 power and only costs 3 mana. Maybe I'll cut a Chrome Mox for the maindeck Runic. Updated the above list to encompass this change.

With 4 Grafdigger Cage and 4 Faerie Macabre and the other 2 Choke in the SB this deck can even have a chance

Anyway I found myself often with 5-7thoughtness creatures against 1-3 thoughtness creatures who should totally be punished because of it.

Do we have a green Thrashing Wumpus? Also, we play all the green creatures in the universe, shouldn’t we play a NO Progenitus package? We can turn 2 it or turn 2 Ruric Thar against anything non white. Additionally Progenitus could be the necessary answer to Karakas decks

The deck has potential but we need some cool repackage to me

BTW Natural order package is 5$ on mtgo and it can be a SB plan against non blue decks. Bane of Progress also is very needed against Moon Stompy and those stupid Ensnaring Bridges
    Last edited by Poron; 07-17-2018 at 05:51 AM.

Aug 2010
    Belgium

I also thought at Natural order. Bane of Progress seems indeed like a strong SB-choice.

If you go on the artifact route, perhaps Ezuri's Brigade main deck. I love to play this card in legacy, but never found a home for it...

Greetings

Ezuri’s Brigade as a 1 of GSZ target is a great idea.

Its situational but when you have metalcraft, paying 5 mana to GSZ out an 8/8 trampler is solid. And even without MC, a 4/4 for 4 isnt horrible so its not an aweful topdeck.

Natural Order isnt needed here. NO works best in decks with lots of 1/1s that you dont mind sacrificing (Elves, Nic Fit, Maverick etc) to get out a big finisher.

Here, you would be sacrificing one big finisher and spending 4 mana to get out an even bigger finisher and that just isnt as appealing, especially since it opens you up to getting 2 for 1ed.

NO package is the perfect ambush sideboard against Karakas decks and Storm

Choke and Tangle Wire is very good against flashy blue decks

Consider NO into Bane what can mean against Moon Stompy or NO into Ruric against Storm or th super classic NO into Progenitus against everything apart from White control decks

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    Here, you would be sacrificing one big finisher and spending 4 mana to get out an even bigger finisher and that just isnt as appealing, especially since it opens you up to getting 2 for 1ed.
    Sometime you need it in order to live and win.
    A double Ensnaring Bridge with Chandra TD is a no-out situation without NO into Bane. A 7 mana GSZ is almost impossible with Blood Moon down

NO enables a lot of possibilities in SB you just can’t play it against Dredge Reanimator ans Storm for Cage

I would test your list with SB:

4 Natural Order
    2 Bane of Progress
    1 Progenitus
    1 Terastodon
    1 Ruric Thar
    4 Grafdigger Cage
    2 Choke

It’s just another angulation your opponent need to keep in check.

Thats a great point. NO isnt a good MD option but is a solid SB option to bring in against decks that you dont have to worry about getting 2 for 1ed against. I was just planning to play more artifact/enchantment destruction in the board (stuff like Wickerbough Elder, Krosan Grip) but NO is a better option against other Ancient Tomb/Chalice decks to replace all the Trinis and Chalices and chokes youll be siding out in those matchups.

In your board, I would go...
    -2 Bane of Progress (it blows up all your artifact creatures so Terastadon is almost always the better NO target if youre worried about multiple Bridges,)
    +1 Ghalta, Primal Hunger (is easily hardcastable in this deck even if it ends up in your hand and as a 12/12 trampler is a solid finisher to grab with NO against any decks that dont play StP/Karakas.)
    + Fairie Macabre

I would also consider trying 2 Tsunami in place of the 2 Chokes in the board. Multiple chokes dont do much. But a well timed Tsunami can put your opponent in an unwinnable position.

I agree, this deck (the Lodestone Golem version) is very powerful (every card it plays is a bomb) and I look forward to it winning tournaments once more people start playing it.

we’d need some mana denial seriously. Against non basic at least

The deck already plays...
    4 Lodestone Golem
    2 Trinisphere
    2 Choke

Postboard can also get you NO into Terastadon.

If thats not enough, a 1 of Acidic Slime is a decent option.

Alternatively, Wasteland might work if we cut all the GG spells like Surrak. Or perhaps a Living Wish package with a tutorable Wasteland in the board.

Elderscale Wurm seems like a solid NO target against Lands, Eldrazi etc.

Is the sneak/show matchup awful? Would it be worthwhile bringing in some Karakas for that + lands?

Was thinking of the following board
    4 Natural Order
    1 Bane of Progress
    1 Progenitus
    1 Ruric Thar
    1 Terastodon
    1 Elderscale Wurm

2 Karakas
    2 Grafdigger’s Cage
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    Lands, MUD, Stax, and Miracles.

Elderscale isn’t solid against MrsAnnihilator6 and MrDraw7

Sorcerous Spyglass for Sneak Attack and Terastodon in hand is a serious answer but way too cute and naive to happen. It would take a fucking planetary alignment

The problem with Ghalta is that if you have already 8+ power on the field you don’t need more creatures you need to connect and win. Traxos is already good enough for that.

I can’t imagine a situation where Ghalta is ever better than Progenitus apart from the hard casting which is anyway a not so good spot

Thread Information