Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Results and Meta Post-DRS/Probe Banning

Re: Results and Meta Post-DRS/Probe Banning

And combo. Storm and Sneak Show, without Probe, suffer.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

DTB update done. Shadow is really killing it in the new meta.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

I'm gonna end this at 9+ weeks in post-ban results in total, separated cleanly in three periods of three weeks each (this past weekend's results, the 10th weekend, are not included).

Over that time, 73 different archetypes placed in all tournaments of at least 6 rounds.

For those interested in which decks have been rising and falling in the meta since the ban, this table lists the 30 decks (any with at least 35 total points) ranked by total points since the ban. The first column of numbers is the deck's rank in the first three week block; the second column is the deck's rank in the second three week block; the third column is the deck's rank in the third three week block.

I would like to share some of my thoughts regarding the metagame development past the DRS/GitProbe ban.

First off, in the turbulence of the new metagame shaping out combo decks emerged praying on decks that weren't ready for them.
    The premier deck of the turbulent period was the show and tell deck, a consistent combo machine that will make you look silly if you are not prepared. Other combo decks such as ANT also had pretty good showings as reported by stalwart storm pilots in the ANT page at the source, in discord chats and in the Facebook Group. That deck never really pushed the numbers in big tournaments mostly because it's a good choice of a deck only if you already are proficent with it thus never gained traction, I believe. My experience was that the power level of the deck severly decreased without probe but more experienced players disgress.

Canadian and reanimator, the two deck which (by some) were predicted to be winners post ban, never really made it. Reanimator, probably because it's better positioned the worse it's precieved - and if people think reanimator will be good, it will fail. Canadian because it's just too anemic with pushes strixes anglers edicts and basic lands. Canadian is almost like a combo deck where your hand have to align with the opponent hand for you to win otherwice you happened to be tapped out when you needed to stifle the fetch and snare that strix and then you lost.

From the chaos emerged two deck that consistently can beat up on the turn 2-3 combo decks, a new delver iteration with Deaths shadow and the good old fun police of Death and taxes. When shadow emerged as the best delver deck many of us saw a strong, synergestic, super sleak machine with a high power level. However many also saw the internal flaw with intentionally almost killing yourself. I knew that if people wanted to beat this deck they should be able to, thus it couldnt be on the top forever. Same goes for a deck that can be hated out as easily as DnT.

With Shadow and DnT in the lead it was time for the old top decks to re-emerge: Grixis Control with it's millions of two-for-ones had all the tools to deal with shadows and jittes alike, and miracle with the sweepers readily and lockpieces such as the previously deemed unplayable counterbalance and the new price-spike-favorite back to basics. These decks will stick around I feel because they are good against so many decks.

When control are at the top it's all about who can grind better. And these two decks can grind, right? Well, then you haven't seen 4C Loam in the hands of a skilled pilot. This reminds me almost of the pre-top era when food chain and twelve-post were viable just because they had (sort of) inevitebility against miracle. Where we go from here I have no idea, but eventhough I'm missing both DRS and GitProbe, I'm loving this new metagame with rock, paper, scissor type of dynamics. I've been super off towards food chain for a long time but if clunky decks are not to be punnished by dazes or, even worse, stifles, then maybe it's time to sleeve up that old griffin again.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

That seemed kind of like how I interpreted it too, Jackabo. I thought I'd post this link to a similar post, and comment, for the online meta:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MTGLegacy/c...reddit-android

And thanks again Scott for running this interesting thread!

Interesting results at Ovino 13
    http://www.ovinotournament.com/ovino...cy-main-event/

Aggro Loam over Miracles in final

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by pettdan View Post
    And thanks again Scott for running this interesting thread!
    You're welcome!

Finnish legacy tournament with 107 players top 16 lists https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...rjZtBgK-SHHh8Q
    "Everything is better topless"

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    DTB update done. Shadow is really killing it in the new meta.
    Eldrazi Post has actually been putting up slightly better numbers than Shadow surprisingly enough. It’s now the 4th most common deck on top 8s

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy#paper

The old non Cloudpost Eldrazi lists are doing no where near as well but it looks like Eldrazi Post has taken their spot as the aggro deck to beat.

Man of the Bounce
    Apr 2011
    City of Angels

Scott thanks a ton for all the work you've put into tracking results. It is very much appreciated!
    WESTCOAST
    DREDGE Playlist

Thread Information