Thread: Kaya [-2] ability

May 2015
    PDX

Kaya [-2] ability

Kaya, Ghost Assassin is put in play, I'm the AP and I have a card with keyword 'dredge' in the yard. I [-2] Kaya, who signals intent first?

Opponent will definitely submit a card face-down as the discard, but are they doing this before or after I signal draw vs dredge? Or do I get perfect information, and choose whether or not to replace draw after their discard is turned face-up? The poor formatting on this card using the word "and" [you draw a card] versus "then" [you draw a card] or doing something like "each opponent discards. draw a card." I think the current formatting means this is simultaneous, except we also have a replacement effect going on...so maybe this is an AP/NAP order thing. It's quite odd.

May 2018
    Colorado

Re: Kaya [-2] ability

With replacement effects, I believe you don't have to signal what you're going to do in the context of Dredge until the effect resolves. In other words, because dredge is a replacement effect, you don't make the decision to draw or dredge until your opponent has indicated which card they are discarding (generally by placing it face down on the yard).

They're asking if they get to see the discarded card BEFORE they choose to dredge.

It SOUNDS like they happen simultaneously, so no.

But get a judge in here. JUDGE!!!

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post
    They're asking if they get to see the discarded card BEFORE they choose to dredge.

It SOUNDS like they happen simultaneously, so no.

But get a judge in here. JUDGE!!!
    So there's also another way to frame this question from opponent's side: who signals first? AP says "I do/do not dredge" [???] then opponent chooses which card they want to discard? The templating here....it's bad.

If this is simultaneously double-blind, the AP would have to do something like write down their intent and submit it face down....which sounds a little like a dexterity card in the sense that opponent could watch your pen hand.

Use a coin.

Heads=dredge bc it almost rhymes.

Tails = draw

May 2015
    PDX

Finally tracked down a judge on this, looks like "and" doesn't change this from being sequential. The discard selected face-down, is revealed face-up, and then Kaya controller has perfect info for draw vs dredge decision. Would have been much simpler if the template just said "then."

Thread Information