Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MTGO Major Announcement

MTGO Major Announcement

So WotC has said there's going to be a major announcement(s) regarding MTGO on Tuesday, July 31st. Anyone want to start guessing what it could be? I'll throw out a few ideas.

1) They're killing MTGO in favor of Arena
    2) They won't be printing new sets on MTGO since it's just the place for Legacy
    3) They're going to sell the Commander packs on MTGO
    4) They outline what kind of compensation they're offering people when they kill MTGO.
    5) Something asinine and pointless that does nothing to convince people they won't be killing MTGO in favor of Arena shortly

Sorry to be so negative on the future of the platform, but I just don't see it lasting much longer, especially not once Arena goes fully live. Also, given that Arena is out there now, I just can't think of anything related to MTGO that would qualify as a major announcement except for it's death.

Re: MTGO Major Announcement

To be clear, the sky is definitely falling.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Hopefully it's an opening of their data release.

What would be cute is if they offered a transfer of cards from Mtgo to Arena.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Blockchain
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n Cook View Post
    Blockchain
    Blockchains of Mephistopheles. Pay WotC lots of money for something confusing that'll probably be unusable.

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n Cook View Post
    Blockchain
    mtgox 2.0?

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    4) They outline what kind of compensation they're offering people when they kill MTGO.
    Probably a mix of these two. They'll stop pushing tournaments and whatever on MTGO and will slowly "phase it out" in favor of Arena, but they'll offer people whatever the equivalent of gold is on MTGA that doesn't come close to making up for the amount of money people have dumped into that trash heap.

It doesn't make sense for them to pretend that they're still supporting MTGO once Arena is out of beta. Almost every gaming company completely drops support of their old game in favor of their new one, and that makes sense from a business perspective. It's true they won't have a dedicated MTG client that has Legacy/Vintage but I think we all know they don't give a shit about these formats and wouldn't think twice about dropping them from online play.

For the record I sold out of MTGO a few years ago and am not attempting to start some sort of firesale on MTGO cards, I don't have a horse in this race.

May 2015
    PDX

I mean I kinda hope the announcement is they'll stop listing arena in Twitch under the game title "Magic: the Gathering," so that I don't have to sift through 5x as much crap to find a legacy stream.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I mean I kinda hope the announcement is they'll stop listing arena in Twitch under the game title "Magic: the Gathering," so that I don't have to sift through 5x as much crap to find a legacy stream.
    I had the same thought and I've got your back. I just launched this last night:

http://www.mtgstreams.com/

direct link to what you want:
    http://www.mtgstreams.com/streams/legacy

Also where was this announcement of an announcement announced? I can't seem to find anything about July 31st

Quote Originally Posted by scottwire View Post
    I had the same thought and I've got your back. I just launched this last night:

http://www.mtgstreams.com/

direct link to what you want:
    http://www.mtgstreams.com/streams/legacy

Also where was this announcement of an announcement announced? I can't seem to find anything about July 31st
    You're doing God's work!
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Where did they say this? Mostly curious more than anything

They're announcing they're going to make a bad decision.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

So WotC has said there's going to be a major announcement(s) regarding MTGO on Tuesday, July 31st. Anyone want to start guessing what it could be? I'll throw out a few ideas.

3) They're going to sell the Commander packs on MTGO
    5) Something asinine and pointless that does nothing to convince people they won't be killing MTGO in favor of Arena shortly

Sorry to be so negative on the future of the platform, but I just don't see it lasting much longer, especially not once Arena goes fully live. Also, given that Arena is out there now, I just can't think of anything related to MTGO that would qualify as a major announcement except for it's death.
    6) Announcing more annoucements later this year.

I expect nothing of notice to come out of this. They're also hyping things up, just to fall flat.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

This seems like a classic thread where people who don't play MTGO tell the rest of the world how this year will be the year it finally shuts down.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Quote Originally Posted by scottwire View Post
    I, too, would like to know this.

May 2005
    Wisconsin

https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...018-2018-07-24

State of MTGO

We're going to be making some MTGO announcements very soon! Keep an eye out for an article by Chris Kiritz next Tuesday, where he will announce some fun new happenings on MTGO.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I have never invested in MTGO, but I am very curious how this shapes up. It could set precedent for what they do in the paper world. It's also noteworthy that people that have investment in both paper and digital cards *may* actually jump ship if they get a raw deal on their MTGO collection. A net loss of players in the game would be harmful, regardless of how many. Maybe folks that are actually invested can summarize the difference between Arena/MTGO, pros/cons, and whether you feel it's likely that MTGO players will actually make the switch to Arena? It would be super helpful to me, so thanks in advance!
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by porcupinetreeman View Post
    [url] where he will announce some fun new happenings on MTGO.

That is very different from "major announcement" and the sky is falling perception in the original post.

-implies new cards dont see play in legacy which is false

-also implies they don't already do this making the mtgo meta far behind the paper meta in regards to legacy

-maybe I'm just a DNT player

Here's the update

https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...ate-2018-07-31

TLDR:
    1) They're aware that cards from supplemental sets aren't getting onto MTGO fast enough and they're working on delivering new cards as close to the set release as they can.

2) Chaos Draft coming August 22

3) They're going to redesign the play lobby with the goal of eliminating confusion and getting players into games more quickly. No timeline

4) "Earlier this year, we delivered a feature that lets you yield until a specific phase. We're looking to expand some of this functionality to be even more useful. We're also exploring the best way to split the game chat and game log for players who just want to play Magic and not interact with their opponents, while ensuring that players who like the feature can still chat with their buddies easily."

5) "Finally, we're looking to get as many of those missing Battlebond and Commander (2018 Edition) cards into the system as we can. We'll get a batch of cards with Guilds of Ravnica and then another set near the end of the year, just in time for the holidays!"

Thread Information