Thread: Nonstandard exclusives in legacy

Nonstandard exclusives in legacy

I am searching for decks which containst as many different cards as possible that are from commander/planechase/conspiracy sets which were never legal in standard (and therefore in modern too). Cards like Scavenging ooze which were later reprinted in standard legal sets of course do not count. These cards make me interested in legacy so the format is not just modern with less banned cards and painless duals. Not sure if include portal too. If reprinted in masters sets is still fine.

So far there are two established decks I can think of

Death and Taxes:
    Recruiter of the Guard
    Brightling
    Sanctum Prelate
    Palace Jailer
    Containment Priest*
    Council's Judgment*
    and some more experimental cards
    Hallowed Spiritkeeper
    Alms Collector
    Selfless Squire
    Nahiri, the Lithomancer

BUG Fit:
    Baleful Strix
    Toxic Deluge*
    Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    Meren of Clan Nel Toth
    Titania, Protector of Argoth
    Flusterstorm*
    and some more experimental cards
    Edric, Spymaster of Trest
    Centaur Vinecrasher
    Damia, Sage of Stone

* mostly sideboard tech

I may have left some out, but still, is any other deck that can play more exclusives than these two or various brews around these?

Re: Nonstandard exclusives in legacy

True-Name Nemesis and Shardless Agent are powerful cards from Sultai control/midrange colors you had left out. Not all of the BUG stuff in your list really compliments each other in the same shell, though. D&T is a more consistent deck list, BUG list is like 3-4 different decks / strategies more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Karhumies View Post
    True-Name Nemesis and Shardless Agent are powerful cards from Sultai control/midrange colors you had left out. Not all of the BUG stuff in your list really compliments each other in the same shell, though. D&T is a more consistent deck list, BUG list is like 3-4 different decks / strategies more likely.
    yeah, but since the banning of Deathrite shaman, most BUG decks are no more, nice fit and aluren may be the only remaining

You might also consider uniquely functioning cards that enable interactions with cards that are legal, but not competitive in Modern - for instance, Infernal Tutor is legal in Modern, but LED is not, and consequently Legacy has ANT instead of Gifts Storm. Other similar cards/interactions:

- Gaea's Cradle, Glimpse of Nature in Elves
    - Ancient Tomb/City of Traitors and Chalice
    - Wasteland and Daze
    - Brainstorm and Miracles

There are also plenty of cards on the Modern ban list that are legal in Legacy:

- Green Sun's Zenith
    - Punishing Fire
    - Dark Depths
    - Jitte
    - Cloudpost
    - Dread Return
    - Ponder

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

I'm not sure if this matters. But cards older than Ice Age block were never Standard legal because there was no Standard. Or was it Mirage Block? It does not matter much because Ice Age rares suck. Anyway, here are some:

Reset
    Karakas
    Candelabra of Tawnos
    The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    Berserk
    Underground Sea
    Badlands
    Savannah
    etc.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Nah, I was mostly referring to the supplemental products, usually printed along currently modern legal sets. Since I do not like commander, but like to play some cards you cannot play in most popular competitive formats, modern and standard. (sure, pauper is an option, but you are mostly limited to conspiracy here)

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Some other decks that can play at least a couple of non-Modern legal cards from supplemental sets

Sneak & Show with Flusterstorm. Arcane Artisan in SB
    Stoneblade decks with Council's Judgment, Unexpectedly Absent, and True-Name Nemesis. Flusterstorm, Toxic Deluge and Containment Priest in SB.
    Miracles with Unexpectedly Absent. Council's Judgment, Flusterstorm, and Containment Priest in SB
    BUG decks with Leovold, Emissary of Trest, True-Name Nemesis, Flusterstorm, and Edric, Spymaster of Trest. Toxic Deluge in SB
    Nic Fit with Arena Rector, Toxic Deluge, Atraxa, Praetors' Voice, Meren of Clan Nel Toth, Titania, Protector of Argoth, and Baleful Strix
    Grixis Control with Baleful Strix and Kess, Dissident Mage. Toxic Deluge and Flusterstorm in SB
    Aluren with Shardless Agent, Baleful Strix, and Leovold, Emissary of Trest. Toxic Deluge in SB
    Food Chain with Spellseeker, Leovold, Emissary of Trest, Baleful Strix, and Shardless Agent. Toxic Deluge and Flusterstorm in SB
    Tezz with Baleful Strix, Dack Fayden, Toxic Deluge, Breya, Etherium Shaper, and Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast
    Bant with True-Name Nemesis, Edric, Spymaster of Trest, and Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    Dragon Stompy with Fiery Confluence and Chaos Warp
    Imperial Painter with Daretti, Scrap Savant and Fiery Confluence
    Deadguy with Kaya, Ghost Assassin and Council's Judgment
    Bizarro Storm with Magus of the Mind. Flusterstorm in SB
    Soldier Stompy with Palace Jailer, Selfless Squire, and Recruiter of the Guard
    Sylvan Plug with Titania, Protector of Argoth and Toxic Deluge
    Landstill with Toxic Deluge and Flusterstorm
    Last edited by Scott; 08-08-2018 at 02:32 PM.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Dragon Stompy with Fiery Confluence and Chaos Warp
    Imperial Painter with Daretti, Scrap Savant and Fiery Confluence
    FTFY

I ran Mizzix's Mastery in mono R storm and still stand by it.

CARD IS BONKERS AND EASILY OVERLOADED.

Some of these new cards look like they can make a break into the format IMO. May take a while though.

The Mimeoplasm sees play in oops all spells anc cephalid breakfast.

Ah thanks Scott, but yeah, but Pia and Kiran Nalaar is a card from Magic origins, so here does not count. Did not know Chaos warp had a place too, although I understand it is a measure against enchantments and such. Atraxa, Praetors' Voice sees play in 4 color Nic Fit? Because most versions of that deck are 3 color.

Are there are other monarchy cards besides Palace Jailer played in legacy or it became more a pauper thing? Like if, there is a reason to play Queen Marchesa over it (or even common ones).

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i haven't tried mizzix's mastery too much in mono red storm, but it is quite good in the dragonstorm builds.
    -rob

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    FTFY
    Quote Originally Posted by drekonja View Post
    Ah thanks Scott, but yeah, but Pia and Kiran Nalaar is a card from Magic origins, so here does not count.
    Right you are!

Atraxa, Praetors' Voice sees play in 4 color Nic Fit? Because most versions of that deck are 3 color.
    I've seen it here and there, infrequently, like in this list from an SCG Classic.

yeah, but since the banning of Deathrite shaman, most BUG decks are no more, nice fit and aluren may be the only remaining
    Not 100% true.

Most of the Legacy player base seems to favor Grixis midrange/control over Sultai midrange/control currently.

I personally see this more as a "flavor of the month" thing in the metagame, rather than Sultai being unfeasible to run. Sultai used to be the preferred flavor over Grixis pre Sensei's Divining Top ban due to Abrupt Decay access to destroy Counterbalance.

Similar thing with Temur delver and Grixis delver flavours being currently preferred in the metagame over Sultai Delver.

IMO, Sultai Delver is a legit Legacy deck, and so is Sultai midrange/control. They are just not preferred flavours - at the moment.

Shardless BUG is also still played, even though it is less popular currently.

Source:
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...-Probe-Banning

Delver flavours:
    RUG Delver: 117
    Grixis Delver: 60
    U/R Delver: 35
    BUG Delver: 16
    UWR Delver: 16

Midrange / control flavours:
    Grixis Control: 186
    BUG Control: 9
    Jund: 6

Cascade flavours:
    Shardless BUG: 7
    RUG Cascade: 6

Temur Combo flavours:
    Aluren: 16
    Food Chain: 7

Other Temur flavours:
    BUG Lands: 6
    Nic Fit - I can't see this in the metagame list at all. So I would argue that based on the stats, BUG Nic Fit is actually more dead than the other BUG decks you claimed to be dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Karhumies View Post
    RUG Cascade: 6
    Any link to RUG cascade decklist? Cannot find it anywhere. :S

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    i haven't tried mizzix's mastery too much in mono red storm, but it is quite good in the dragonstorm builds.
    Try it. You might like it. 1 of wishboard for a spin.

"Cast your graveyard" is a powerful sentence, even if limited to Instants and Sorceries.

You already know 5RRR isn't hard or even the ACTUAL cost.

Imagine with bonus round. Imagine the glorious red stack. You can bonus round the same bonus round even, plus another spell.

Thread Information