Thread: German Highlander deck changed to Commander ban list and 20 life no Commander rules

Aug 2018
    Finland

German Highlander deck changed to Commander ban list and 20 life no Commander rules

There is no German Highlander thread so posting it here since similiar that 100 cards deck and every card except basic lands have to be different from each other.

Ok my German Highlander deck with Commander ban list to make it legal in German Highlander simply change Strip Mine to Wasteland
    and Sol Ring to one more land.

This deck is made for
    NO Commander rules or Commander Zone
    for fun have played Commander at least once there exist one Commander
    valid creature.
    For 20 life and not 40 life. German Highlander has 20 life.

However since in our home rules we play with this with tough semi hardcore/casual Legacy
    rules I am allowed to use Commander Ban List in 20 lie environment.

Imagine a Commander deck for 20 life and no Commander Zone or Commander specific rules. In Highlander
    there is one free mulligan for a 100 cards deck though.

2 Artifact:
    Sol Ring
    Zuran Orb (you would never use this artifact in 40 life environment this is made for 20 life environment)

14 Creature:
    Baleful Strix
    Bone Shredder
    DeathRite Shaman
    Flametongue Kavu
    Fulminator Mage
    Keldon Vandals
    Keranos, God of Storms
    Nekrataal
    Shriekmaw
    Snapcaster Mage
    Sol'Kanar the Svamp King
    Stormbreath Dragon
    Thundermaw Hellkite
    Vendilion Clique

1 Enchantment
    Control Magic

30 Instant
    Brainstorm
    Counterspell
    Cryptic Command
    Daze
    Diabolic Edict
    Dig Through Time
    Dissolve
    Electrolyze
    Exclude
    Fact or Fiction
    Foil
    Forbid
    Force of Will
    Go For The Throat
    Impulse
    Incinerate
    Kolaghan's Command
    Lightning Bolt
    Magma Jet
    Mana Drain
    Mana Leak
    Mindbreak Trap (at highest level of Highlander you can even encounter a Storm deck)
    Rakdos Charm (graveyard hate sometimes useful)
    Recoil
    Shattering Pulse
    Smother (for 40 life enviroment I would change this to Terminate)
    Spell Pierce
    Spell Snare
    Tribute to Hunger
    Undermine

35 Land
    Badlands
    Blood Crypt
    Bloodstaine Mire
    City of Brass
    Creeping Tar Pit
    Darkslick Shores
    Faerie Conclave
    Floodeed Strand
    Ghitu Encampment
    8 Island
    Lavaclaw Reaches
    Misty Rainforest
    1 Mountain
    Polluted Delta
    Scalding Tarn
    Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep
    Steam Vents
    Strip Mine
    1 Swamp
    Temple of Deceit
    Temple of Ephiphany
    Temple of Malice
    Underground Sea
    Verdant Catacombs
    Volcanic Island
    Wandering Fumarole
    Watery Grave
    Wooded Foothills

2 Planeswalker
    Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    Liliana Vess

16 Sorcery

Ancestral Vision
    Blightning
    Bonfire of the Damned
    Braingeyser
    Chain Lightning
    Damnation
    Deep Analysis
    Demonic Tutor
    Dreadbore
    Earthquake
    Kaervek's Torch
    Ponder
    Preordain
    Pyroclasm
    Thoughtseize
    Yawghmoth's Will

Aug 2018
    Finland

Re: German Highlander deck changed to Commander ban list and 20 life no Commander rul

It is very old school not typical deck in addition the deck idea is POWER and CONTROL therefore I use 3 Scrylands which people usually don't use. This deck is meant for 20 life environment and not 40 life environment and no Commander zone or any other Commander rules except that the deck has to have one Commander valid creature which this deck has.

I play with slight modificiations with this in German Highlander tournaments and then in our home rules with semi
    hardcore/casual Legacy decks.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Re: German Highlander deck changed to Commander ban list and 20 life no Commander rul

Is German Highlander played 1v1, multiplayer, or both?

Aug 2018
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Is German Highlander played 1v1, multiplayer, or both?
    Officiaal tournaments have duels. This is not supported by Wizards of the Coasts. If you win my country German Highlander you get hundreds of euro in price. Silver and Bronze also get money. If you become 8th even then you get little bit money.
    Last edited by Terminator2018; 08-10-2018 at 11:57 AM.

Aug 2018
    Finland

If you win my country German Highlander you get hundreds of euro in price. Silver and Bronze also get money.
    ROPECON is not same as Finnish Championship but I only found youttube videos of that:

I explain the semi-final. The player on right would have won with STORM combo Tendrils of Agony, but the other player had Mindbreak Trap (that I also use in my deck)… I show this that at highest level you can even have combo decks.

With my friends I play duels but sometimes also for fun 2 vs 2 or 3 vs 3 players with everyone having 20 life.

I have a few times player multiplayer 3 player all vs each other and did not like it.

We have also in our homerules for multiplayer banned some extra powerful cards for multiplayer like example Standstill.

German Highlander is duels, but with my friend who have semi hardcore/casual Legacy decks I sometimes also play with this deck for fun team play 2 vs 2 or 3 vs 3

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Aug 2018
    Finland

Thanks for good replies and sorry for not finding a youtube video in English of German Highlander it is mainly played in Germany and Finland. Canada has for example Canadian Highlander and so on.

I can speak English fluently. I enjoy both movies and music in English:

If I see a movie in English language then I can understand the English, without the need to read the subtitles.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Hey, thanks for posting this. I want to be helpful, but I have a hard time understanding the details of the German Highlander format. Without a commander, I find myself wondering what the purpose of the deck is. I'm really having a hard time getting my mind around this.

In considering that difficulty, I wonder if it makes sense to repurpose this thread as an introduction to the format and a place to post all German Highlander decks. Or perhaps we can get Dice_box involved to make a section.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Finn, my understanding (which Terminator should correct if I'm off base) is that German Highlander is like a singlton Legacy 100 card deck.

Terminator's deck is Grixis Control

Aug 2018
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Finn, my understanding (which Terminator should correct if I'm off base) is that German Highlander is like a singlton Legacy 100 card deck.

Terminator's deck is Grixis Control
    Yes well Sol'Kanar the Svamp King make that there is Creature that have
    blue and red and black creature so that is like Commander but
    there is NO Commander or Commander rules!
    deck for 20 life and no Commander Zone or Commander specific rules. In Highlander
    there is one free mulligan for a 100 cards deck though.
    True you play Grixis Control and have power with:
    Mana Drain
    Ancestral Vision
    Dig Through Time
    Keranos, God of Storms
    Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    Liliana Vess
    Demonic Tutor
    Yawgmoth's Will

It is CONTROL and POWER.

You play 20 life vs 20 life and no Comander rules or Commander play so you can kill your enemy!

Aug 2018
    Finland

Update I posted 2 of my semi casual/hardcore Legacy decks in this thread:
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...p-Spiritmonger

There is a TRUE story also in that threads of one game we played 11th August 2018. In our environment we also have TURN 1 kill combo decks though killing someone turn 1 is rare, but say with combo kill turn 2-4 is not rare.

Therefore so heavy control or otherwise disrupt example discard or land destruction.

With this deck mentioned in this thread I also play with my friends in such an environment. I did not play any game with this German Highlander/Commander deck during 11th and I have several decks so I change what I play with every now and then.

Thread Information