Thread: Two of my semicasual hardcore Legacy decks TerminatorCONTROLMerfolk & Spiritmonger

Aug 2018
    Finland

Two of my semicasual hardcore Legacy decks TerminatorCONTROLMerfolk & Spiritmonger

LEGACY rules deck for duells and multiplayer with friends. Duallands increase and increase in
    price but Tarmogoyf pric go down and down that is why don't to buy/own Tarmogoyf creature.

Please note this we have rules in multiplayer that there does not exist
    any sideboard unless you play with Wish spells like Burning Wish, Cunning Wish, Living Wish etc.

Please also note proxying is forbidden and instread of having one deck I share my power
    wih 6 decks.

Example I own 4 Force of Will and 4 Wasteland but instead of playing with 4 Force of Will
    and 4 Wastelande in my TerminatorCONTROLMerfolk deck I have only 2 Wasteland 1 Force of Will since
    use those cards in my other decks.

Please note sometimes I play duels, but many time I also play team play
    2 vs 2 or 3 vs 3 players with everyone having their own 20 life.

TerminatorCONTROLMerfolk deck
    19 Creature
    1 Augure of Bolas
    3 Coralhelm Commander
    4 Cursecatcher
    3 Lord of Atlantis (that is correct I own 4 of them, but want less of them this is a heavily
    CONTROL focused deck and rather big creatures like Coralhelm Commander)
    4 Master of the Pearl Trident
    4 Silvergill Adept

2 Enchantment
    2 Control Magic (yeah I know it is outdated and oldschool, but still wanna play with them:)

16 Instant
    4 Accumulated Knowledge
    4 Counterspell
    1 Cunning Wish
    1 Daze
    1 Foil
    1 Force of Will
    1 Impulse
    3 Spell Pierce

20 Land
    17 Island
    1 Mutavault
    2 Wasteland

3 Sorcery
    2 Deep Analysis ( explanation lots of players use discard spells in our environment. If I would
    play with best available setup I would change one of these to Jace, The Mindsculptor )
    1 Preordain

15 Sideboard all meant only for Cunning Wish:
    1 Capsize
    1 Daze
    1 Dispel
    1 Fact or Fiction
    1 Forbid
    1 Guerilla Tactics
    1 Hydroblast
    1 Mana Leak
    1 Misdirection
    1 Opportunity
    1 Ravenous Trap
    1 Repulse
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Vapor Snag
    1 Visions of Beyond

In best available setup I would have 4 Wasteland and 4 Force of Will and one Jace, The Mindsculptor but
    I wanna use these cards in my other decks in our enviroment.

Why so little fetchlands??? Because I use fetchlands in my other decks and want to have
    many decks ready moving one fetchland to another deck between games or making proxies is forbidden
    in our environment.

TerminatorSpiritmonger deck (which is also anti Dredge and graveyard hate deck)
    22 Creature
    3 Obstinate Baloth (many enemy players like to use discard spells)
    3 Priest of Titania
    3 Reclamation Sage
    4 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Shriekmaw
    3 Spiritmonger
    1 Thun, The Last Troll
    4 Yixlid Jailer

1 Enchantment
    1 Pernicious Deed

9 Instant
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Back to Nature
    2 Diabolic Edict
    2 Naturalize
    2 Tribute to Hunger

22 Land
    2 Bayou
    4 Bojuka Bog
    4 Forest
    2 Hissing Quagmire
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Owergrown Tomb
    2 Swamp
    1 Treetop Village
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Woodland Cemetery

1 Planeswalker
    1 Garruk Wildspeaker

5 Sorcery
    1 Ashes to Ashes
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    1 Maelstorm Pulse

SIDEBOARD FORBIDDEN in our enviroment unless you use Wish spells like Living Wish, Cunning Wish, Burning Wish etc.
    Last edited by Terminator2018; 09-01-2018 at 03:36 PM.

Aug 2018
    Finland

Re: Two of my semicasual hardcore Legacy decks TerminatorCONTROLMerfolk & Spiritmonge

FAKE 4 player with friends August 11th 2018 we were originally meant to be 5-6 players, but the rest cancelled in last minute so fake 4 player (means between games we take turns who is going to control 2 decks instead of 1 deck) this is the game I played with this threads decks.

Enemies code name H and J allied with each other.
    My code name Terminator and I control 2 of my decks each deck has 20 life.

H Isochron Scepter deck (annoying control locks you out so you can not cast sorcery spells or attack with creaures combo) and J playing with FLASHBACK deck (a deck that uses
    heavily graveryard and can cast more then once same spell combo).

TURN 1 my Spiritmonger deck begins and don't draw a card as beginning deck on this flank
    Sitting on this side (left side) of table I begin with Spirimonger and only set out 1 Basic Forest (I dislike Deathrite Shaman BAN)
    2. Terminator spiritmonger (anti dredge and graveyard hate) 20 & TerminatorCONTROLMerfolk 20

I think everyone sets out one land, but J casts Birds of Paradis one turn 1
    and soon enough manages to cast Faithless looting etc.

With my Merfolk deck I cast Preordain, but set both cards that I did scry on the bottom of library, since want more Islands at this point and draw a card and
    that is not an Island, but think it was another Spell Pierce ... in my starting hand I had one Island and one Wasteland when the game began.

TURN 2
    I set out for mana acceleration Quirion Elves and say black color so it can now give both green and black color after
    summoning sickness.

H sets out Isochron Scepter I dont counter it though I could...
    J gets his game nicely flowing he manages to get 2 Deep Analysis in graveyard and casts Deep Analysis from graveyard on ally H this happens
    I dont counter.

Merfolk turn 2... I draw card and VOILA it is an Island...
    Instead of setting out Wasteland I put out the Island.
    I set out 1 Curse Catcher creature 1/1 that can sacrifized to counter sorcery or instant spell if enemy
    player cant pay one more mana for that spell.

My Spiritmonger deck begin its turn 3 and cast Maelstorm Pulse a sorcery spell and destroy H:s Iscochron Scepter...
    and I set out my third land out...

Enemy H on his turn casts Silence (means enemies cant cast spell on his turn) I don't counter it and H again sets out
    Isochron Scepter with annoying white spell that creatures can neither attack and enemy can not other then instant spells on upkeep.

I did not counter Silence and it comes out.

Enemy J explodes into action first he casts Intuition which I Immediately counter with Spellpierce
    and then he somehow manage to cast a second spell on same turn, but I sacrifice my Cursecatcher and counter that spell also.
    With my Merfolk deck on turn 3 I set out Wasteland and destroy immediately Enemy J nonebasic land that can produce blue color,
    but he still has accces to blue color due to Birds of Paradise.

I leave 2 Island untapped and pass my turn.

Spiritmonger on turn 4 casts out
    Thrun. The Last Troll 4/4 Hexproof can regenerate for 1 green and colorless mana this
    creature also cannot be countered.

H does not seem to do anything special...
    J tries to cast something, but I cast CounterSpell with my Merfolk deck and counter it.

Spiritmonger deck turn 5
    I attack with Trun. The Last Troll (I don't attack with my mana Elf wanna have it ready for mana) and give 4 damage to H..
    NOTE: J has his Birds of Paradise sent to H:s flank, but dont want to block these attacks since he might need the creature for mana
    source.

I cast with my Spiritmonger deck Abrupt Decay that can not be countered and destroy the H:s Iscochron Scepter.

I set out Scavenging Ooze but, enemy players have no creatures in their graveryards, but I remove anyway all 3 cards in J Flashback decks
    graveyard.

H seems to struggle now...
    J does something, but is very annoyed by Scavenging Ooze...

Merfolk deck casts Impulse before its turn and digs up a 4th Island...
    Merfolk deck turn 5 I set out my 4th Island (one turn I did set out Wasteland that I used)
    I pass my turn.

TURN 6 and the last turns ENDGAME:
    Spiritmonger attack all out attacking with:
    Thrun, The Last Troll , Scavenging Ooze and my elf and I remove H:s Isochron Scepter both of them in his graveyard
    so they are exiled.

I cast Yixlid Jailer 2/1
    Cards in graveyard loose their abilities.

H manages to bounce my scavenging ooze on top of my library
    J does something
    With my Merfolk deck before my turn I cast Accumuluted Knowledge draw 1 card then also I cast
    before my turn a second Acumulated Knowledge and draw 2 more cards.
    It becomes my turn and I draw a card.
    I set out my 5th Island
    frustrated that I dont get what I want I cast my 3 rd Accumulated Knowledge and draw 3
    cards VOILA I get what I want among them CounterSpell and Force of Will!
    I have now 8 cards and choose to discard a Merfolk Lord instead of casting it out...

Spiritmonger casts again out the Scavening Ooze H manages to bounce
    my Jailer on top of my library and I ignore that and let it happen...
    J tries to do MAJOR things
    first I cast COUNTER SPELL and when that is not enough I cast Force of Will!

J does not manage to cast anything that is not countered on his turn.
    With my Merfolk deck I now cast out 3 Merfolk during the same turn:
    Cursecatcher, Silvergill Adept and Merfolk Master of the Pearl Trident

With my Spiritmonger deck I continue aggressively attacking with
    Thrun, The Last Troll, Scavenging Ooze, Quirion Elves,
    Yixlid Jailer on the battlefield.

H is almost dead, but for show cast out one artifact not that it matters anymore.
    J begins his turn think and says it is time to CONCEDE. H agrees it is time to CONCEDE.

At time when both enemy player did concede players life was this:
    H Isochrons Scepter deck had 3 life and J Flashback deck had 14 life.

My decks life were
    Terminator Spiritmonger 20 life and TerminatorCONTROLMerfolk 19 life (the only damage was from my own Force of Will).
    Last edited by Terminator2018; 08-12-2018 at 08:03 AM.

Aug 2018
    Finland

Re: Two of my semicasual hardcore Legacy decks TerminatorCONTROLMerfolk & Spiritmonge

Yes yes I have more decks, but will post them in different threads, but it is a lot of effort so another day or even week or month. I did post my German Highlander/Commander deck already in the forums.
    Last edited by Terminator2018; 08-12-2018 at 07:53 AM.

Aug 2018
    Finland

Spiritmonger uses a bit unusual creatures what the others play with so here is a presentation of the creatures.

The creature is ANTIDREDGE creature, but does disturb also some other decks.

Best 2 mana creature in the deck!

Reclamation Sage is anti combo, but can remove also other decks possible whatever enchantments or artifacts and in multiplayer there usually is a good target.

Anti discard and anti burn creature. Very dangerous as offensive power if opponent discards this during early game and even
    later in game boost to get out offensive power. Boost to own life pool.

Toughest 4 mana creature! Legendary so want only of them in the deck.

Only one of these in the deck. Opponent should not have so weak creatures so they die of this.

Boost own life and something will survive even a Wrath of God, Damnation or Supreme Verdict. Only one of these in the deck.

Toughest creature in the whole deck! Deck named after it! It can grow to huge and can change colour to any colour and it can regenerate.

Well the other Elves in the deck are meant only for ramp. The deck has also 3 land creatures.

Mar 2009
    Zurich

Cool decks. I love the Spiritmonger deck. This thread is amazing, I had a lot of fun reading through it. Keep it up!

Aug 2018
    Finland

Spiritmonger updated a lot... first I fixed so it has 4 fetch lands. However noticed then that 22 land in 60 cards was not enough really so then
    made it an excpetion of 23 lands in a 61 cards deck. Yes I know it is rare but 23 lands on 60 cards felt to many lands.

Thragtusk REMOVED!
    4 Reclamation Sage reduced to 3 Reclamation Sage and instead Naturalize increased to 2 of them yes they have so fast combo kill decks!
    Obstinate Baloth increased from 2 of them to 3 in the deck. Yes there are so many discard decks and it is good vs BURN also.
    Quirion Elves removed and number of Priest of Titania increased from 2 to 3 of them.

Sep 2011

Interesting format. With no sideboarding for games, it makes sense you'd want Wishes in each deck to maximize utility and find niche answers.

For the Merfolk deck...

Daze seems bad as a 1-of, especially in a deck playing Accumulated Knowledge and Cunning Wish (i.e. going for the mid-to-late game, particularly in multiplayer). Can you run more than 1 Cunning Wish to help you get the SB cards? 1 Thwart or 1 Foil or 1 Pact of Negation should be in your Wishboard so you have the option to Wish for a free counterspell, if you need it. It could replace Daze in the wishboard, which would get used less often.

Seasinger could be funny if you want to steal creatures. Vedalken Shackles gives you a lot more flexibility than Control Magic. If you really want to just drop a blue aura to steal something, Treachery?

The Spiritmonger deck looks epic. I always loved that creature. What about running 3-4 Green Sun's Zenith to help you find the right creature when you need it? That makes it easier to support 1-ofs like Thrun. It also means you don't need to run 3-ofs and 4-ofs for all the utility creatures. You can branch out to have more diverse answers and threats while still finding them consistently to deal with the opponent. Stuff like:

Eternal Witness
    Kitchen Finks
    Rhonas the Indomitable
    Master of the Wild Hunt
    Golgari Findbroker
    Yeva, Nature's Herald
    Thragtusk
    Silklash Spider
    Thornling

Priest of Titania also looks weak in that deck, with so few Elves. What about just running Arbor Elf (untaps Bayou/Overgrown Tomb for black or green, making it better than Llanowar Elves), Deathrite Shaman, Sakura-Tribe Elder or Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary?

Thread Information