Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GP Richmond, August 31-September 1

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: GP Richmond, August 31-September 1

Quote Originally Posted by Kanti View Post
    Divert

ps: if that card said spell or ability then it would probably see some play.
    It was actually played against Reid Duke on camera. Unfortunately it was an invocation version and no-one knew what the fuck it was since all invocations look exactly the same on coverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    There were 842 players total. Some others I saw on camera:
    Seattle 2018 had over 1,600 players; wondering if Labor day weekend was the reason, or did the banning turn off Legacy players?

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Thoughts on literally *zero* combo decks in top 16?

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=19981&f=LE
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

There were quite a few combo decks in the top 64, and I believe 5 ANT players in the top 40 alone. I finished in 51st overall (lowest tiebreaks of the 11-4 bracket) and faced 7 combo decks over the course of 15 rounds (8 if you count Lands): 2 Omnitell, 1 Dredge, 2 ANT, 1 Food Chain, 1 Sneak & Show. So no combo in the Top 16, but just outside of the released decklists, there seemed to be plenty!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=19981&f=LE

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by maxtopig View Post
    There were quite a few combo decks in the top 64, and I believe 5 ANT players in the top 40 alone. I finished in 51st overall (lowest tiebreaks of the 11-4 bracket) and faced 7 combo decks over the course of 15 rounds (8 if you count Lands): 2 Omnitell, 1 Dredge, 2 ANT, 1 Food Chain, 1 Sneak & Show. So no combo in the Top 16, but just outside of the released decklists, there seemed to be plenty!
    Good to hear! I was actually thinking that this has got to be unhealthy for legacy, lol.

I forget that Lands is technically a combo deck with Depths/Stage. It plays a lot more like a grindy control deck that happens to win with a combo, but you're probably closer to correct calling it a combo deck.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    10th-20th were all 12-3. 17th was on UB Shadow, 18th on UW Stoneblade and then 19th and 20th were on ANT. So although there were no combo players in the top 16, myself and another Stormer did finish 12-3 while 4 others top 64d.

Griselbrand decks are pretty awful against UB Shadow, Grixis Delver and Grixis Control. I think ANT is very well positioned, but there just aren't that many players out there that can top 64/32/16/8 a GP with the deck.

Apr 2007
    São Paulo - Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by CyrusCG View Post
    Griselbrand decks are pretty awful against UB Shadow, Grixis Delver and Grixis Control.
    Could you elaborate more this?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    AGreed. Can't hear anything the announcers are saying. Seems like a terrible trade just so fangirls can hear Reid Duke say "resolves"

Seriously though, I wasn't fully aware of who Reid was prior to this event, but I'm a fangirl now. Mad props to him for not flipping out on Anuraag when he asked Reid to concede.

Thread Information