Thread: Stifle + Vines of Vastwood

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Stifle + Vines of Vastwood

Question from the Dreadstill thread: a player casts Phyrexian Dreadnought, his trigger goes on the stack, play Stifle to counter the trigger, opponent plays Vines of Vastwood on Dreadnought. Does this stop the Stifle from resolving? Is the Dreadnought the target of Stifle or is the trigger a separate entity on the stack?

Related note: can Emrakul's extra turn trigger be targeted with Stifle? I have done it with Nimble Obstructionist, but that's an activated ability, so it's different than a spell.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: Stifle + Vines of Vastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Question from the Dreadstill thread: a player casts Phyrexian Dreadnought, his trigger goes on the stack, play Stifle to counter the trigger, opponent plays Vines of Vastwood on Dreadnought. Does this stop the Stifle from resolving? Is the Dreadnought the target of Stifle or is the trigger a separate entity on the stack?
    Stifle targets abilities on the stack, not on cards themselves. The fact that Dreanought cannot be targeted will be irrelevent for the purposes of Stifle resolving.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Related note: can Emrakul's extra turn trigger be targeted with Stifle? I have done it with Nimble Obstructionist, but that's an activated ability, so it's different than a spell.
    Yes, for the same reason as above.

Note: Emrakul's ability of "protection from colored spells" is irrelevant in this regard anyway. The point at which Emrakul's ability triggered from being cast, Emrakul is not on the Battlefield and so the protection does nothing. For example, one could cast, say, Mana Drain on Emrakul. Emrakul cannot be countered, but you can imagine why one might do that. Alternatively, Emrakul itself being cast is a legal target for something like Mindbreak Trap, again, for the obvious reason that it doesn't counter spells, but exiles them.
    Last edited by H; 08-21-2018 at 04:00 PM.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: Stifle + Vines of Vastwood

That's what I thought, but I wanted to get a 2nd/experienced/judge opinion. Thank you!
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Thread Information