Thread: Modern MOST

Threaded View

Modern MOST

Primer: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...radewind-Rider

Here is a deck I have been enjoying in Legacy ported to Modern. It's called MOST (Merieke, Opposition, Survival, Tradewind Rider) but really it's a Fauna Shama+Scryb Ranger, and to a lesser extent a Vial deck. It plays 4-colors and a lot of silver bullets. Merieke is maybe not needed in Legacy, but it has won me a lot of games so far in Modern.

Not sure if all those fetchlands are needed, but it's important most of the lands in the deck are Forest, if not all, so you can use Scryb Ranger on them. The 2nd Forest is a nod to the fact that Scryb Ranger+painlands is a non-bo, so that aspect of the Legacy version is pretty handicapped.

4 Windswept Heath
    3 Misty Rainforest
    1 Snow-Covered Forest
    1 Forest
    2 Overgrown Tomb
    2 Breeding Pool
    1 Temple Garden
    1 Hallowed Fountain
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Dryad Arbor

Acceleration
    4 Aether Vial
    4 Birds of Paradise
    3 Noble Hierach

Engine
    4 Fauna Shaman
    2 Scryb Ranger

The Meat
    3 Siege Rhino
    2 Tarmogoyf
    1 Bitterblossom
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Spellskite
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Phantasmal Image
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Renegade Rallier
    1 Merieke Ri Berit
    1 Orzhov Pontiff
    1 Reflector Mage
    1 Knight of Autumn
    1 Aven Mindcensor
    1 Spell Queller
    1 Vendilion Clique

Other
    4 Assassin's Trophy
    1 Chord of Calling
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow

SB
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Bitterblossom
    1 Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
    1 Vraska, Golgari Queen
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Unmoored Ego
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Meddling Mage
    1 Spellskite
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Knight of Autumn
    1 Mangara of Corondor
    1 Glen Elendra Archmage
    1 Stoic Angel

edit: changed up the list a little. I originally slapped in Siege Rhino because I coudn't think of anything else, but hot damn did it randomly end up being great in a lot of match-ups. Resolving that thing is no joke. Don't think there is enough UW Control in Modern, or combo, to warrant the Glen-Elendra main over a 3rd Siege Rhino, but that could be meta-dependant as Glen-Elendra is also very good against any combo, Infect, and to a point Mardu. Shalai is another very strong options, but I don't think going 1 Rhino, 1 Shalai, 1 Glen-Elendra is correct, though I may be wrong. If I were to do that I'd cut something to fit the 2nd Rhino in.

Goyf #3, Rhino #3, SoLas #2, Bitterblossom, Chord of Calling, Eternal Witness, Phantasmal Image, Vendillion Clique, Mangara of Corondor, and Lilianna the Last Hope are all slots that can change up depending on preference. You are usually bringing in whatever you don't have g2, but g1 it's up to you what you want to run in those. I recommend not going under 2 Goyfs or 2 Rhinos in any case.

edit: Didn't want to bump the thread, but testing 3 Mana Leak over 2 Abrupt Decay and 1 Scryb Ranger. I for sure miss the Ranger, but Decay has not been the best card. Not completely sold on Mana Leak, but it's very easy to cast. Wish I could think of something to cut to run 3 Leaks, 2 Scryb... but I don't know what to cut.
    Last edited by Kanti; 11-22-2018 at 06:33 PM.

Thread Information