Thread: Bonus Round + Chalice of the void

Bonus Round + Chalice of the void

On MTGO,empty graveyards, my opponent has chalice of the void on 1, i have an active bonus round and cast rite of flame. MTGO lets me choose (at least i think i can choose..?) the order to stack the triggers and i stack them so bonus round trigger goes on first and then chalice. Chalice resolves countering the rite of flame, bonus round resolves and put a copy of RoF on the stack, RoF resolves netting me 3 mana (as there is a RoF in the graveyard now).

So far so good, but how does this interaction work in paper? As i understand it, it's legal for me to "hope" that my opponent misses his chalice triggers. But if he does not miss it i want to ensure that my bonus round trigger goes on the stack before the chalice. Whats the correct and legal way to play this?

May 2015
    PDX

Re: Bonus Round + Chalice of the void

NAP trigger always on top of AP. You cast Rite [sorcery] and trigger to copy goes under Chalice. If opponent misses Chalice trigger, you'll get 4 mana. If they remember Chalice trigger then Rite to yard and then you resolve Rite copy for 3 mana.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

good call, it's an interesting scenario.

fox is absolutely correct, just want to spell it out a bit better in case the terminology is not clear.

you cast rite of flame, your bonus round trigger will go on the stack at the same time as the chalice of the void trigger, but the AP (active player)'s triggers go on the stack first (this would be you). then the chalice trigger would go on the stack next (NAP, non-active player).

if you had your own chalice of the void in play for whatever reason you could choose which order they go to the stack, as you would be the AP for both effects.
    -rob

How does it play out in paper? I think it starts with
    1) announce and pay for RoF
    2) immediately say "bonus round trigger"
    but what are the next steps, do i wait for acknowledgement? And at what point is the chalice trigger missed?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

You can say bonus round trigger. (at this point he's to say chalice trigger,although he might be a bit impatient and interrupt you before you announce your bonus round trigger. Keep in mind they both are triggered by casting rof.) Then you can say resolve copy. If he says okay then feel free to resolve it (he's missed the opportunity to put chalice trigger on the stack at this point) and then when it resolves ask him if the original rof resolves. If he says anything about chalice at this point he missed his chance. I don't really like this kind of ruling, but as far as a grand prix or something large goes I think use the rules as they are currently enforced. I wouldn't do this in a smaller local setting.

You should consider playing on modo a bit so you can see how this works visually (the stack).
    -rob

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    ...Then you can say resolve copy. If he says okay then feel free to resolve it (he's missed the opportunity to put chalice trigger on the stack at this point) and then when it resolves ask him if the original rof resolves. If he says anything about chalice at this point he missed his chance...[concerning missed trigger enforcement] I wouldn't do this in a smaller local setting.
    For casual REL: if they miss Chalice trigger and want to put it back on stack, precisely recreate the stack.
    For comp REL: trying to announce the Chalice trigger after the copy of Rite resolves is cheating - note how letting the copy resolve with the original on the stack was potentially done intentionally to deny you +1 bonus mana.

Even at casual RELs the friendly rewinds have to be done carefully as complexity and time passed rises. I don't think the average player can correctly rewind scenarios like this (AP/NAP) and arrive at the correct endpoint of Rite to yard, copy resolves for 3 mana; my guess is that most would say copy resolves for 2 mana then counter the Rite [incorrect].

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

good points again.
    -rob

Thread Information