Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Goblin Welder + Dreadnought Shenanigans

  1. #1
    Member
    Fallen_Empire's Avatar
    Join Date

    May 2016
    Location

    Seattle, WA
    Posts

    114

    Goblin Welder + Dreadnought Shenanigans

    I have a Phyrexian Dreadnought in hand and in the graveyard.
    I also have a Goblin Welder and Lotus Petal in play.

    If I play my Dreadnought from my hand, can I use Goblin Welder's ability to swap the in play Petal with the Dreadnought in my graveyard, in order to sac it for the trigger cost of the Dreadnought entering play from my hand?

  2. #2
    Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Dice_Box's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2013
    Location

    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.
    Posts

    4,596

    Re: Goblin Welder + Dreadnought Shenanigans

    Yes. The trigger goes on the stack, but the card is still in play until you finish resolving the trigger. While that's happening you have a window to interact.

    PD is a etb effect, it's still on the Battlefield so you can do what you like.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

  3. #3
    Member
    Fallen_Empire's Avatar
    Join Date

    May 2016
    Location

    Seattle, WA
    Posts

    114

    Re: Goblin Welder + Dreadnought Shenanigans

    Thanks for the clarification Dice! Bout to brew up some spice!

  4. #4
    Member
    KobeBryan's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2011
    Location

    Arcadia, CA
    Posts

    2,035

    Re: Goblin Welder + Dreadnought Shenanigans

    Too many steps for a weak combo bro.

  5. #5
    Member

    Join Date

    May 2015
    Location

    PDX
    Posts

    902

    Re: Goblin Welder + Dreadnought Shenanigans

    Mechanics questions really aren't about top tier competitiveness @KobeBryan; very few decks which surpass whatever threshold you're setting as not being "weak" and still pose interesting mechanics questions. The point here is that if someone wants to play a deck that will have sophisticated interactions, that they need to know how they work before going to a paper event.

    The initial question needs to be clarified:
    If I play my Dreadnought from my hand, can I use Goblin Welder's ability to swap the in play Petal with the Dreadnought in my graveyard, in order to sac it for the trigger cost of the Dreadnought entering play from my hand?
    Yes you can make a Dreadnought, but that Dreadnought will never be the one you played from hand:
    1) Dreadnought from hand cast [at sorcery speed] and resolves, trigger on the stack
    2) Activate Welder bringing Dreadnought #2 from yard into play [at instant speed], trigger on the stack
    3) Sacrifice Dreadnought #1 to Dreadnought #2's trigger.
    4) Dreadnought #1 trigger will be the next to resolve; the default here is nothing happens as Dreadnought #1 is in the graveyard.

    Technically you have two other options for step 4:
    -sac Dreadnought #2 to #1's trigger for probably no reason.
    -sac Dreadnought #2 and Goblin Welder to #1's trigger for probably no reason.

  6. #6
    Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Dice_Box's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2013
    Location

    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.
    Posts

    4,596

    Re: Goblin Welder + Dreadnought Shenanigans

    The real fun here is if you play Fling. Welding in the one from the Grave and throwing it at someone with the trigger still live. You can do all kinds of Jank while that trigger is live.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

  7. #7

    Re: Goblin Welder + Dreadnought Shenanigans

    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen_Empire View Post
    I have a Phyrexian Dreadnought in hand and in the graveyard.
    I also have a Goblin Welder and Lotus Petal in play.

    If I play my Dreadnought from my hand, can I use Goblin Welder's ability to swap the in play Petal with the Dreadnought in my graveyard, in order to sac it for the trigger cost of the Dreadnought entering play from my hand?
    No, because of timing. When you resolve the hand dreadnought you can't activate welder until you put dreadnought's trigger on the stack. Then when you return the graveyard dreadnought it's going to put its trigger on the stack on top of the hand dreadnought's. You then resolve graveyard dreadnought's trigger first.
    But wait! It turns out that it doesn't matter: you can simply feed hand dreadnought to graveyard dreadnought's trigger, since I believe the goal here is to have a dreadnought, and you don't really care where it came from.

  8. #8

    Re: Goblin Welder + Dreadnought Shenanigans

    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    The real fun here is if you play Fling. Welding in the one from the Grave and throwing it at someone with the trigger still live. You can do all kinds of Jank while that trigger is live.
    Why throw away a perfectly good dreadnought? Torpor Orb, Illusionary mask, and sundial of the infinite are all great ways to keep your dreadnought alive. And that last one has some great built-in gotcha!

  9. #9
    Member
    Fallen_Empire's Avatar
    Join Date

    May 2016
    Location

    Seattle, WA
    Posts

    114

    Re: Goblin Welder + Dreadnought Shenanigans

    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Why throw away a perfectly good dreadnought? Torpor Orb, Illusionary mask, and sundial of the infinite are all great ways to keep your dreadnought alive. And that last one has some great built-in gotcha!
    It's not plan A or even plan B. It is just another tool in the tool box. You don't put simian spirit guide in your deck to attack, but sometimes you need to etc.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)