Thread: UB(g) Spellseeker Pile

UB(g) Spellseeker Pile

Played this UB control deck quite a few times at my local, getting quite a lot of 3-1's back when DRS was legal and playing tombstalker/TNN's until they printed Spellseeker. I jammed 4 of that in place of actual threats and got back to back 4-0's and some more 3-1's. After the DRS ban I shelved the deck for a bit to work on my Maverick list but I picked this deck up again, going 3-1 this week and replacing the DRS' with just more value cards/tutor targets. Deck is kinda just like UB Jund where you just play a bunch of cards that put you up cards, small green splash mostly so you can decay random stuff like bridge etc. There's quite a few one of's to go find with the 4 spellseeker and cantrip shell and you get to double dip them with the 4 snapcasters. Deck is actually a blast to play, reanimate has been one of the best cards in the deck mostly taking an opponents creature to have a real wincon. Liliana, The Last hope is insane especially when our deck is just 12 value dudes.

4 Baleful Strix
    4 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Spellseeker
    -12-

3 Liliana, The Last Hope
    1 Jace, The Mind Sculptor
    -4-

4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    3 Fatal Push
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Reanimate
    1 Hymn to Tourach
    1 Diabolic Edict
    1 Night's Whisper
    1 Marsh Casualties
    1 Abrupt Decay
    -24-

4 Underground Sea
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Misty Rainforest
    2 Swamp
    1 Island
    3 Wasteland
    -20-

1 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Fumble
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Invasive Surgery
    1 Blue Elemental Blast
    1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Golgari Charm
    1 Collective Brutality
    1 Inquisition of Kozilek
    1 Cabal Therapy
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Null Rod
    1 Pithing Needle
    -15-

Come give me some sweet tutor target tech, or tell me how bad this 3 mana 1/1 is ;3

I've thought about Spellstutter and Yuriko but I'm not sure

"Needs more Hymns" probably

Re: UB(g) Spellseeker Pile

I've been toying with this shell also, and two cards to think about are:
    Unearth – the sweetest card with snappys and Spellseekers. Would try at least 2.
    Black Sun's Zenith – a good Spellseekertargeted mass removal.

In my tries, I've also added 2-3 Misthollow Griffin and one Manipulate Fate as a Spellseeker target, acting as a searchable wincon.

I like reanimate more than unearth, the upside of taking a big thing from your op more than makes up the lifeloss, and you can still reanimate your value dudes.

Zenith is interesting. At 3 mana its worse than marsh casualties though and at 5 we can kick casualties but this kills x/3s for 5 mana or x/2s for only 4

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I haven't had the balls to pull the trigger on this style deck. Night's Whisper is probably good and better than Pull From Tomorrow which is what I was thinking about playing. Any thought to playing any pacts? Slaughter Pact or something so you can cast it the turn you play seeker? I also like the thought of a Therapy to find because your creatures all are terrible and worth sacrificing. Also probably worth playing a Counterspell maybe too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

I would go for 2 unearth/1 reanimate, since unearth has cycling it is never a dead card, and the reanimate can still be Spellseeker fetched. I would also play 3-4 hymns in a deck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rascalyote View Post
    I like reanimate more than unearth, the upside of taking a big thing from your op more than makes up the lifeloss, and you can still reanimate your value dudes.

Zenith is interesting. At 3 mana its worse than marsh casualties though and at 5 we can kick casualties but this kills x/3s for 5 mana or x/2s for only 4

With fetches and three Wastelands, a single Life from the Loam seems worthwhile, at least in the sideboard.

As good as unearthing a value creature is, in practice the vast majority of the time I have cast reanimate its on an opponents creature

Id be down to play more hymns and maybe some unearths but Id have to cut cards for them and I like the toolbox I have going on now.

Omg I forgot about loam though, thats actually pretty sick sb tech.

Ive thought about actual counterspell but we have so many sorcery speed 3 drops I feel keeping up UU can be a chore

Slaughter Pact seems pretty dece too, I can't imagine playing any of the other pacts. There's a therapy in the SB that I can maybe put main, again it's just deckslots at this point, I'm already down to only 2 Thoughtseize and 1 Hymn main and those seem like the stronger cards without needing the cute synergies.
    Last edited by Rascalyote; 09-10-2018 at 04:55 AM.

Thread Information