Thread: Modern Dragons

Modern Rakdos Dragons

Yes, you read that right. Long ago in Modern we had access to Seething Song which facilitated the big red strategy. Of late, the big red plan has seen some fringe play in the form of Skred Red and some mono red Bridge-Chalice decks that rely on Desperate Ritual and Gemstone Caverns to ramp your lock pieces.

Now, looking at Sarkhan, Fireblood, there's more potential for silly Jund shenanigans.

4 Thunderbreak Regent
    2 Glorybringer
    2 Stormbreath Dragon
    2 Thundermaw Hellkite
    2 Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury

4 Sarkhan, Fireblood

4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Fatal Push
    4 Thoughtseize
    3 Abrade
    2 Terminate
    2 Kolaghan's Command
    2 Anger of the Gods

4 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Blood Crypt
    5 Swamp
    5 Mountain
    1 Graven Cairns
    3 Dragonskull Summit
    2 Haven of the Spirit Dragon

I think Rakdos is the best shell. Hand disruption and to-the-point removal is always nice.
    Last edited by Saboo; 10-01-2018 at 11:59 PM.

Dodge this.
    Jan 2005
    Westland, Michigan

Re: Modern Dragons

This strategy works. I played 5 or 6 games against a similar list last Friday. I was on Goblins and the pre board match was 50/50. Ratchet Bomb was a pain for sure. Keep working on it and take it to an FNM. If your meta is aggro heavy (most modern metas are) then you should be very pleased with the result.
    When other people do not assert themselves, they may still have something to be proud of, something that they believe is unrivalled, but it is just that they have not got the same vulgarity of throwing their weight about and imposing themselves and their beliefs on other people. - Dunduzu Kalui Chisiza

If you think a topic is dumb, don't add to it. Pretty simple. - Bardo

I've made some major overhauls, with rationale, in the OP.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Super sweet deck! I wish Blightning were still good enough to play, I love that card.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

This list seems interesting to me. I'm assessing the merits of the inclusion of black versus staying mono red. Skred replaces Fatal Push, Blood Moon replaces the hand disruption, Abrade can stand in for Kolaghan's Command. I think the card I like most in this list, which doesn't really work in the mono red version is Haven of the Spirit Dragon (I mean, it can work, but it gets shut off by Blood Moon). I think if I were going to include black, I wouldn't be able to help myself and have to try the lightest blue splash for Nicol Bolas, the Ravager.

Thread Information