View Poll Results: Which would be better in legacy?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Survival of the fittest

29 90.63%
  • Hermit druid

3 9.38%

Thread: Survival or Hermit Druid?

Survival or Hermit Druid?

To be clear the discussion is not to unban either, but if either were legal during a modified ban list legacy event which would be better to run?

Both are 1G costing permanents that likely win if you untap with them.

Hermit Druid dies to swords/bolt/dismember etc. survival doesn't.
    Survival allows you to play basics, hermit druid scoops to blood moon.
    Hermit druid can't win through leyline/rip while survival can aggro out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Re: Survival or Hermit Druid?

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    To be clear the discussion is not to unban either, but if either were legal during a modified ban list legacy event which would be better to run?

Both are 1G costing permanents that likely win if you untap with them.

Hermit Druid dies to swords/bolt/dismember etc. survival doesn't.
    Survival allows you to play basics, hermit druid scoops to blood moon.
    Hermit druid can't win through leyline/rip while survival can aggro out.
    One is just part of an All-In combo like Oops All Spells, the other is an engine card (with bearable restrictions) which found application in combo and aggro-control decks. Survival is clearly the better card.

The question would have been harder to answer with Frantic Search vs Hermit Druid, i guess
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    One is just part of an All-In combo like Oops All Spells, the other is an engine card (with bearable restrictions) which found application in combo and aggro-control decks. Survival is clearly the better card.

The question would have been harder to answer with Frantic Search vs Hermit Druid, i guess
    I agree but my local legacy community is doing an event with survival unbanned but definitely not druid which I found odd. Was curious what others thought.
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

No contest. SotF with Hollow One is actually insane in Vintage right now. You lose Moxes' acceleration but the field you're playing against is much weaker in Legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    No contest. SotF with Hollow One is actually insane in Vintage right now. You lose Moxes' acceleration but the field you're playing against is much weaker in Legacy.
    You also lose the redundancy with bazaar of Baghdad.

The survival deck of legacy would be a different beast than the current iterations in vintage. Not a good comparison.

Jul 2016
    Forever dark woods

Why Hermit Druid?
    I will put Oath of Druid in the poll instead. Just my opinion.
    If you can reanimate GrizzlyBrand or Marit Lage or S&T Emi turn 1. Why not Oath of Druid.
    At list it give you time to respond with a AD or disenchant before it triggers (not the case for reanimate/S&T).

I think comparing Survival of the Fittest and Oath of Druid will be more accurate.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
    Why Hermit Druid?
    I will put Oath of Druid in the poll instead. Just my opinion.
    If you can reanimate GrizzlyBrand or Marit Lage or S&T Emi turn 1. Why not Oath of Druid.
    At list it give you time to respond with a AD or disenchant before it triggers (not the case for reanimate/S&T).

I think comparing Survival of the Fittest and Oath of Druid will be more accurate.

Just my 2 cents.
    You do understand that all the stuff you Listed is an A+B Combo while Oath is a 1-Card Combo that costs as much as entomb+reanimate and is even 1 mana cheaper than S&T?

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Sotf is a good card, druid is broken

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    Sotf is a good card, druid is broken
    How do you figure? The poll is 23 for survival vs 1 for hermit druid.

Winter Maze

I think Survival is clearly less broken. With the printing of Lingering Chill and Lotleth Giant, anything you do that fully mills your library is a win right there without the combat step.

While it's less broken, Survival is also the far better card overall, if that makes sense.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    I think Survival is clearly less broken. With the printing of Lingering Chill and Lotleth Giant, anything you do that fully mills your library is a win right there without the combat step.

While it's less broken, Survival is also the far better card overall, if that makes sense.
    Survival is ANT, Hermit Druid is Belcher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Survival or Hermit Druid?

Thing is druid is not all that dangerous given that you need to untap with it first. If it milled on ETB it would be more broken.
    Being answerable with MD cards like lightningbolt decreases its powerlevel.
    Comparing only the activated effect Druid is obviously more broken. I think both are safe for unban but preferably together with DRS.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

survival is the more powerful card, but it also opens up the meta to a few more decks. will the better ones be slanted by blue? (yes). it does however give some other decks library manipulation, but with vengevine and hollow one being real things, it's better to keep out of the format. it would be an extremely strong deck and would be nice though to have a midrange deck vs grixis and miracles.

hermit druid is not really a fair card. there's no real drawback to playing with it and it enables a more or less guaranteed win if you untap. i don't see it bringing any value to the format.
    -rob

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

you guys know that Hermit Druid is just Oops All Spells but you have to pass the turn and it's countered by StP/Lightning Bolt? it's supremely not a broken card.
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

Hermit Druid is countered by nearly everything and has real deck building constraints. Survival of the Fittest only requires you to play a lot of creatures. I'm not that worried about either but Survival is harder to hate out and probably a more powerful card overall.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Amarth View Post
    Hermit Druid is countered by nearly everything and has real deck building constraints. Survival of the Fittest only requires you to play a lot of creatures. I'm not that worried about either but Survival is harder to hate out and probably a more powerful card overall.
    Define alot, you need one creature from there you can get the engine going (with squee for example). I think you could easily get away with under 20 creatures if you want to

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

survival is the far better card. it would open up archetypes, although it might be too strong again for the format (barring matchups like S&T)
    hermit druid doesn't really does really add anything to the format.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by MorphBerlin View Post
    Define alot, you need one creature from there you can get the engine going (with squee for example). I think you could easily get away with under 20 creatures if you want to

Good point, I always thought 20+ creatures is " a lot". But you're right, cards like Squee changes that up so you might be able to get away with less.

@mistercakes: That is my opinion as well. SotF might be too broken but it does make new archetypes/decks and is an interesting card to build around whereas Hermit Druid dies to every piece of disruption ever and also adds nothing to the format, we already have enough glass cannon decks as is. It's the only card on the Banned List that I don't care if it comes off or stays. It has the same effect.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Quote Originally Posted by SpatulaOfTheAges View Post
    you guys know that Hermit Druid is just Oops All Spells but you have to pass the turn and it's countered by StP/Lightning Bolt? it's supremely not a broken card.
    Just like the new versions of breakfast with Stoneforge you can build somewhat of a 'real' deck around Hermit Druid, because all it demands of you is some kind of Dread Return kill and no basic lands.
    It's never going to be as good of a midrange deck as actual Stoneblade but the whole deck doesn't have to be rituals and lotus petals etc

I agree it would be less relevant than survival but it wouldn't surprise me if a reasonably playable Druid archetype emerged from its (hypothetical) unbanning
    Imagine your opponent goes turn 1 Mom and then just kills you on turn 3 (Cavern on Human? Good luck)

Thread Information