Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unplayable Chunderbucket Pile (but with chalice)

Unplayable Chunderbucket Pile (but with chalice)

So the idea is to get a turn 1 lock piece (chalice or thorn) protected by chancellor...then use rhonas or piper to either drop the chancellor into play or pick another creature with summoner's pact. Summoner's pact gets either part of the combo (rhonas or piper plus fatty) or utility dude (scavenging ooze/wreck sage) or ramunap excavator to wasteland or ghost quarter lock. Suggestions?

4 chalice of the Void
    4 chancellor of the annex
    4 thorn of amethyst
    4 spellskite

4 champion of rhonas
    4 elvish piper

4 summoner's pact
    1 worldspine wurm
    1 terrastodon
    1 ruric thar
    1 progenitus
    1 wreck sage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Ramunap Excavator

3 mox diamond
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    4 wasteland
    1 Ghost Quarter
    3 forest
    1 swamp
    3 Bayou
    4 Verdant Catacombs

SB:
    3 summoning trap
    4 engineered plague
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 thought not seer
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: Unplayable Chunderbucket Pile (but with chalice)

This needs 4x Veteran Explorer.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    And a way to sac it.
    And a way to play it through cotv.
    So no, it doesn't.

I did consider splashing blue for arcane artisan.
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Cave View Post
    And a way to sac it.
    And a way to play it through cotv.
    So no, it doesn't.
    I guess you haven't been reading the Ban thread. I figured this was a clear and obvious joke, based purely on the title. I guess the joke's on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    What's a card that props up utterly unplayable chunderbucket piles and makes the whole world miserable?

HINT: It's not blue.
    Veteran explorer, and i'd extend that to anyone who posts in that thread too.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

I appreciated the veteran explorer reference for the record . I definitely feel like some people don't follow the B/R thread as closely as they should. Though I am planning on running this at our proxy event on the 30th so any actual suggestions anyone has would be appreciated too.

Winter Maze

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Came for the name, stayed for the deck.

Instead of the Summoner's Pact and so many piper effects, some number of Green Sun's Zenith and Natural Order?
    Green Sun will let you find your toolbox creatures early and your pipers late. Even if you Chalice on 1 right away, you can still get a Dryad Arbor if you overpay for GSZ, so the synergy isn't perfect, but not shut out like Veteran Explorer. Natural Order is pretty bombastic with so many green threats to deploy.

My next thoughts went to haste, either from Concordant Crossroads or Thousand-Year Elixir, just so your pipers were live the same turn you played them. Might also mean you can plop out a monster and swing in right away.

Then if your goal is gigantic creatures, garbage like Dueling Grounds or Silent Arbiter might offer some protection from getting hit back.

Then if your splashing white, whole bunch of garbage like Eladamri's Call become open to suggestion.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Very interesting! I would look to Sylvan Plug for more inspiration. The Chancellors are really interesting in that kind of deck because they help make sure you get time to deploy your lock pieces and slow down fast decks for free. Sylvan Library is probably too good not to play, zero removal is rarely a good idea. The Spellskites seem a bit weak, I'm guessing you'll skip them after a while. Natural Order seems great. But not so great with Thorns I guess.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

How are you paying for the Pacts? I know this sounds silly, but if someone Wastelands your Ancient Tomb and you can't pay, that's a big problem. Mox Diamond helps to ramp you into a fast combo, but I would still have a plan to deal with Pact triggers.

Other than that, the deck is actually quite sound. It's a creature cheater deck with Spellskite/Thorn of Amethyst synergy. I can't help but think that 1-2 Sylvan Library would be really decent, but I understand the need for a critical mass of creatures/lock pieces/combo elements.
    Brainstorm Realist

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Came for the name, stayed for the deck.

Haste is a great idea. I think lightning greaves might be the best option here.

Green Sun’s Zenith/dueling grounds/eladamri's call would make an interesting version...would need to cut thorn. I'll do some thinking.

@pettdan: thanks! Pirateking's version which runs good cards instead of just xeroxing piper is growing on me. Library and NO would slot well in there.

@Mr. Safety: Yeah I expect to lose a game at some point where I need to use pact and then hope they don't draw wasteland . Library would be good if I go with pirate's toolbox version instead of the xerox version.
    Last edited by kinda; 09-21-2018 at 06:33 PM.

Winter Maze

Ended up 2-4 with a ridiculous g3 loss to cephalid breakfast...I had progenitus plus chalice on 1 and 2 in play but lost to a vialled in mimeoplasm removing walking Ballista. I beat Canadian thresh and grixis control...lost to cephalid breakfast/Canadian thresh/slivers/nic fit. Only pulled off the dream once (on the play reveal chancellor and play turn 1 chalice...or thorn). Only running 22 Land for the 3 mox diamond's was a pretty bad oversight. Most of my matchups didn't care about thorn which was dissapointing. Piper'ing in tks during the draw step is pretty sweet .

4 chalice of the Void
    4 thorn of amethyst
    4 elvish piper
    4 champion of rhonas
    3 summoner's pact
    2 lightning greaves
    2 ramunap excavator
    4 chancellor of the annex
    1 progenitus
    1 terrastodon
    1 worldspine wurm
    2 sylvan library
    3 thought knot seer
    1 lodestone golem

3 mox diamond
    1 city of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 wasteland
    1 Ghost Quarter
    2 Bayou
    3 forest
    4 windswept heath
    3 verdant catacombs

SB:
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 engineered plague
    3 abrupt decay
    2 choke
    1 wreck sage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    Last edited by kinda; 10-01-2018 at 03:03 AM.

Winter Maze

I guess you haven't been reading the Ban thread. I figured this was a clear and obvious joke, based purely on the title. I guess the joke's on me.
    I don't read that thread anymore.
    I personally find that 1000+ pages of the same senseless banter and rotten arguments between the "ban brainstorm", the "ban fetchlands" and the "legacy good as it is" parties are way more than needed.
    Being almost in my 30's, I'm generally disgusted at the easiness with which many young internet users compare people, things or events they perceive as negative to serious illness, but I admit that I recently had similar thoughts about that very thread.
    B/R thread is the sole reason i'm not that much active on this forum anymore and I think one of the main reasons why people are moving to deck-related discord servers. It's so ridiculous and pervasive it literally echoes through the whole forum. Like, in every new edition spoiler thread, when a good card is revealed, there's always gonna be a stupid person who comes up with the "this is gonna make xerox decks even stronger" post. 100% guaranteed.

I'm sorry, i'm not that much of a joke person.

...why are you posting in here then?

Winter Maze

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Ended up 2-4 with a ridiculous g3 loss to cephalid breakfast...I had progenitus plus chalice on 1 and 2 in play but lost to a vialled in mimeoplasm removing walking Ballista. I beat Canadian thresh and grixis control...lost to cephalid breakfast/Canadian thresh/slivers/nic fit. Only pulled off the dream once (on the play reveal chancellor and play turn 1 chalice...or thorn). Only running 22 Land for the 3 mox diamond's was a pretty bad oversight. Most of my matchups didn't care about thorn which was dissapointing. Piper'ing in tks during the draw step is pretty sweet .
    Glad to hear the dream isn't dead

Lightning Greaves is definitely the better haster, equip to a baby-faced Piper and fart out a monstrosity, haste him up to attack then move back to Piper to save from top deck removal. Good call there.

When are you playing Summoner's Pact? After resolving a Piper to find the guy, then paying for it next turn?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I don't read that thread anymore.
    I personally find that 1000+ pages of the same senseless banter and rotten arguments between the "ban brainstorm", the "ban fetchlands" and the "legacy good as it is" parties are way more than needed.
    Being almost in my 30's, I'm generally disgusted at the easiness with which many young internet users compare people, things or events they perceive as negative to serious illness, but I admit that I recently had similar thoughts about that very thread.
    B/R thread is the sole reason i'm not that much active on this forum anymore and I think one of the main reasons why people are moving to deck-related discord servers. It's so ridiculous and pervasive it literally echoes through the whole forum. Like, in every new edition spoiler thread, when a good card is revealed, there's always gonna be a stupid person who comes up with the "this is gonna make xerox decks even stronger" post. 100% guaranteed.

Wow, almost in your 30's eh? So old...dude, I turn 40 next year.

Yes, there are some bad comments, but I prefer The Source over discord any day. If I want real-time discussion, nothing beats the LGS for me. I may be overly fortunate to have a thriving legacy scene with great discussion happening locally, but whatever. The Source is 2nd best, to me.

Decks like this, where people are actively playing off-beat decks and strategies because they just love the game, these are what keep me playing Legacy.

Specifically for the deck, how reasonable would it be to hard-cast a Chancellor of the Tangle? I always loved it in Hypergenesis and pre-game effects that super-charge Chalice and GSZ seem very good to me. Possibly too deep, but I like how explosive it could be.
    Brainstorm Realist

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Glad to hear the dream isn't dead

Lightning Greaves is definitely the better haster, equip to a baby-faced Piper and fart out a monstrosity, haste him up to attack then move back to Piper to save from top deck removal. Good call there.

When are you playing Summoner's Pact? After resolving a Piper to find the guy, then paying for it next turn?
    Summoner's pact either gets a piper/champion which you then play right away or the other part of the combo in progenitus/wurm/terrastodon. Paying next turn usually has no downside. In a pinch it gets wreck sage/scooze etc.

@safety: the other chancellor is a good shout.

Winter Maze

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Would chrome mox be better than mox diamond?

show your opponent chancellor at the beginning of the game, then imprint it for chrome mox?

Quote Originally Posted by non-inflammable View Post
    Would chrome mox be better than mox diamond?

show your opponent chancellor at the beginning of the game, then imprint it for chrome mox?
    Yes, definitely...if I try this again.

Winter Maze

Nov 2017
    SKILL INTENSIVE branches

Since you're out to play a chunderbucket going all green could be interesting. Chancellor of the Tangle gives you a beefy threat that can be piper'd in as well as serve as yet another way of powering out a turn 1 lockpiece. Plus all green opens up Norwood Priestess instead of Champion of Rhonas as Pipers 5-8 that don't have the downside of being ugly-ass new card face crap.

And although Apes > Elves, one of the most fun things to do in stompy bucketpiles is to beat down your opponent for 8+ turns with a 2/2 for 3. As such, I'd recommend Elvish Spirit Guide.

Apr 2017
    London

+1 for unplayable chunderbucket piles with chalice

I feel like Thorn is a bit underwhelming here and Trinisphere might serve you better. I would also consider running Chrome Mox over Mox Diamond, and second the Elvish Spirit Guide suggestion.

I also feel like Summoner's Pact is a bit awkward—have you considered a Living Wish package instead? Means you don't have to run uncastable fatties in the maindeck, too.

This also doesn't look like a Wasteland deck to me—I'd probably suggest cutting them (and the Ghost Quarter) in favour of 3 more City of Traitors. You probably don't need the black splash for the sideboard cards, and if you do I'd lean more into it and play some discard.

Also for maximum chunderbucket points Choke should definitely be in the maindeck.

Thread Information